Image ImageImage Image

A realistic look at 2014 FA and options

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,414

Re: A realistic look at 2014 FA and options 

Post#101 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:16 pm

I like cousins. I do. Is Lebron still in the league? I haven't kept up on things but if he is I am betting for the next few years he is going to the finals. Sure some teams will scrum with whatever team he is on but yeah short of Durant I don't know who actually puts us over the top. Well prime MJ of course or prime Kobe but those guys aren't available.
xpmar9x
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#102 » by xpmar9x » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:16 pm

In my dream world we land EG & K'Love. How it happens is way beyond me.

Rose - EG - Butler - Love - Noah.

If we could somehow land that, I would freak. EG is a risky player, and I know he has nothing to do with a 2014 free agency. If we work a EG/Deng based deal, and Miro comes over... does Rose-EG-Butler-Miro/Taj-Noah win it?
PistolP
Analyst
And1: 337

Post#103 » by PistolP » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:20 pm

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:
PistolP wrote:Doing a S&T this summer will be very hard this summer since we can't go over the apron.

Whoa whoa whoa, I thought the hard cap that resulted from using the BAE on Marco ceases being an issue on July 1 when the new season, as far as contracts go, starts. Why would we still be beholden to the hard cap at that point?

We have no hard cap next season. But just like using the full MLE, starting this summer you can't recieve a player in a S&T if it takes you over the apron. And accepting a S&T'd player hard caps you at the apron for the rest of the season. Right now we are already projected to be well over the LT again next season.
Payt10
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 9,200

Post#104 » by Payt10 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:24 pm

Cousins is still putting up a PER of 20. He might be one of the most talented big men in the game right now. If you're going to criticize his FG% then Noah's isn't much better at 46%.

At 22 years old, the sky is the limit for him. He's too much of a mental midget right now. If you get him some good coaching, and surround him with a better team, perhaps he will see that potential through.
"All I want to do is grab somebody and bang nowadays" -Brad Miller
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,414

Post#105 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:25 pm

PistolP wrote:
OldSchoolNoBull wrote:
PistolP wrote:Doing a S&T this summer will be very hard this summer since we can't go over the apron.

Whoa whoa whoa, I thought the hard cap that resulted from using the BAE on Marco ceases being an issue on July 1 when the new season, as far as contracts go, starts. Why would we still be beholden to the hard cap at that point?

We have no hard cap next season. But just like using the full MLE, starting this summer you can't recieve a player in a S&T if it takes you over the apron. And accepting a S&T'd player hard caps you at the apron for the rest of the season. Right now we are already projected to be well over the LT again next season.

This is true.
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,676

Post#106 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:28 pm

PistolP wrote:
OldSchoolNoBull wrote:

Ok, now I get it. Thanks.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#107 » by Ralphb07 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:28 pm

Noah should not be traded. He is the 2nd best center in the NBA. IMO he should win DPOY as well. Rose and Noah are our top 2 dogs and who we need to build around.

Looking at the Bulls roster with expiring deals and non guaranteed of Hamilton, we should hope someone becomes available this summer. We have the means to make a bold move if something presents itself. This summer should be interesting. The Bulls goal should be add firepower. We also need to see what Deng wants contract wise.
Carl25
Bench Warmer
And1: 64

Post#108 » by Carl25 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:29 pm

I like the idea of moving Deng for a lotto pick. Then, if possible, moving that pick in combination with other assets for a 2nd star. Love is probably the most realistic option at this point.

That'd give the Bulls a 2013 lotto pick, their own 2013 pick, the CHA pick, their 2015 pick, Mirotic's rights, Butler, Teague, Gibson, and Noah as possible trade assets.

Some combination of those assets would hopefully be enough to get a guy like Love. Then they'd have to figure out what to do with Boozer. If they're able to get a guy like Love, would that change their stance on using the amnesty on Boozer THIS offseason?
"Through Thick and Thin."
RIP Norm Van Lier
PMONSTER
Head Coach
And1: 1,301

Post#109 » by PMONSTER » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:30 pm

BullsGate wrote:Paul George becomes a restricted free agent in 2014, right? I would love to see Bulls a bold move and steal George away from pacers.

And I would love for the Pacers to be dumb enough to let him go
NBA Playoffs.... I can never wait!
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,697

Post#110 » by nitetrain8603 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:41 pm

coldfish wrote:Cousins has good numbers (and his team is bad) because he shoots a lot. As you note, he doesn't shoot well. Actually, he is pretty awful for a big man. That doesn't dissuade him from chucking up 14.4 per game.

Maybe he turns it around under Thibodeau but that's a gamble. Right now, Noah is significantly better than Cousins at playing basketball in a manner that wins games. Honestly, I would want to put Noah next to Cousins, not replace Noah.

Cousins has a -1.1 +/- right now. That's incredible. He makes one of the worst teams in the NBA actually worse when he enters the game.

Cousins doesn't have the players around him that Noah has. He's on a team which everyone has their own agenda. That's why, if you bring Cousins, I don't suggest going after Evans. And keep in mind, Cousins takes a lot of difficult shots which are some he doesn't have to and others because he's forced to. I'm sure Thibs would help cut those bad shots down.

Also, you mentioned a plus minus stat. Keep in mind that he has a much higher PER than Noah and the only year he's had a lower PER than Noah was his rookie season. His PER this year and last year are both higher than Joakim's highest PER, and by a decent margin at that.

The Bulls aren't going to find the perfect superstar. They're going to have to take a diamond in the rough and mold him. Cousins is moreso a diamond in mud and they just need to clean him off. He's better than Noah right now and is projecting upwards, especially with a good coach on his side.

I wouldn't mind moving Deng instead of Noah for him.
WinCity
Banned User
And1: 1,688

Post#111 » by WinCity » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:48 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:
coldfish wrote:Cousins has good numbers (and his team is bad) because he shoots a lot. As you note, he doesn't shoot well. Actually, he is pretty awful for a big man. That doesn't dissuade him from chucking up 14.4 per game.

Maybe he turns it around under Thibodeau but that's a gamble. Right now, Noah is significantly better than Cousins at playing basketball in a manner that wins games. Honestly, I would want to put Noah next to Cousins, not replace Noah.

Cousins has a -1.1 +/- right now. That's incredible. He makes one of the worst teams in the NBA actually worse when he enters the game.

Cousins doesn't have the players around him that Noah has. He's on a team which everyone has their own agenda. That's why, if you bring Cousins, I don't suggest going after Evans. And keep in mind, Cousins takes a lot of difficult shots which are some he doesn't have to and others because he's forced to. I'm sure Thibs would help cut those bad shots down.

Also, you mentioned a plus minus stat. Keep in mind that he has a much higher PER than Noah and the only year he's had a lower PER than Noah was his rookie season. His PER this year and last year are both higher than Joakim's highest PER, and by a decent margin at that.

The Bulls aren't going to find the perfect superstar. They're going to have to take a diamond in the rough and mold him. Cousins is moreso a diamond in mud and they just need to clean him off. He's better than Noah right now and is projecting upwards, especially with a good coach on his side.

My cousin is a big fan of Cousins :lol: and is always trying to tell me we should acquire him for similar reasons. However, besides the aforementioned lack of efficiency and other basketball issues he really is an idiot. By that I mean he has little self control and gets far too emotional. Could Rose and Thibs control him? Maybe but when the pressure of a playoff or finals series starts to mount can we really count on the guy? If not for the play issues I would be on board but given all of that I dont agree.
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#112 » by nitetrain8603 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:57 pm

WinCity wrote:
nitetrain8603 wrote:

My cousin is a big fan of Cousins :lol: and is always trying to tell me we should acquire him for similar reasons. However, besides the aforementioned lack of efficiency and other basketball issues he really is an idiot. By that I mean he has little self control and gets far too emotional. Could Rose and Thibs control him? Maybe but when the pressure of a playoff or finals series starts to mount can we really count on the guy? If not for the play issues I would be on board but given all of that I dont agree.

If he's an idiot, then the Bulls should've never drafted Derrick Rose then. And excuse me, but I want someone with emotion out there. I find that a huge positive actually. It's why we love Noah and Nate. Because they have emotion, because they want to win, etc.

Stats wise, Cousins is a better player. Skill wise, he's a better player. He's put enough of it together for him to be a better player. Noah is simply a better soldier.
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#113 » by nitetrain8603 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:00 pm

BTW, if we were able to get George, I would cream. Ideally, I would be able to replace Deng with George, sign Mayo or Tyreke, and Boozer into Love.

Rose
Mayo/Evans
George
Love
Noah

OMG, must not overload.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User
And1: 810

Post#114 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:00 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:Noah should not be traded. He is the 2nd best center in the NBA. IMO he should win DPOY as well. Rose and Noah are our top 2 dogs and who we need to build around.

As Gar Foreman said, these two players are the core.
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#115 » by nitetrain8603 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:01 pm

BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:Noah should not be traded. He is the 2nd best center in the NBA. IMO he should win DPOY as well. Rose and Noah are our top 2 dogs and who we need to build around.

IMHO, core does not equal untradeable. I'd only offer up Noah for someone like Cousins or Love or George.
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#116 » by blumeany » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:02 pm

@carl25 - exactly, the Bulls need to pull a Morey and roll assets into other assets until you have a play at a big star. I think of all the assets the Bulls have, you keep Mirotic. Everything and everyone else is on the table, minus Rose and Noah.
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User
And1: 810

Post#117 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:09 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:
BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:

IMHO, core does not equal untradeable. I'd only offer up Noah for someone like Cousins or Love or George.

I'm holding on to Noah, man.

As others have mentioned, he's a top 3 center in the league that meshes perfectly with our top 3 PG.
WinCity
Banned User

Post#118 » by WinCity » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:12 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:If he's an idiot, then the Bulls should've never drafted Derrick Rose then. And excuse me, but I want someone with emotion out there. I find that a huge positive actually. It's why we love Noah and Nate. Because they have emotion, because they want to win, etc.

Stats wise, Cousins is a better player. Skill wise, he's a better player. He's put enough of it together for him to be a better player. Noah is simply a better soldier.

I'm not even getting into the while Noah vs Cousins thing. However, Cousins is prone to outbursts and if I recall was recently suspended. I just dont think he is maturing. He is not a true superstar so unless we get him really cheap I wouldn't be interested.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#119 » by Ralphb07 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:13 pm

I love Deng, he is our 3rd best player. The thing with him is he expires after next season and I just see him wanting 12-14 mil on this deal as well. We can't afford that. The Bulls need to talk to him this summer and feel him out If the demands are what I think it will be, IMO it is smart to cash in on him and deal him now.
WinCity
Banned User

Post#120 » by WinCity » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:I love Deng, he is our 3rd best player. The thing with him is he expires after next season and I just see him wanting 12-14 mil on this deal as well. We can't afford that. The Bulls need to talk to him this summer and feel him out If the demands are what I think it will be, IMO it is smart to cash in on him and deal him now.

One thing is for sure under the new CBA I dont see how we can actually improve carrying Booz and Dengs deals. We need to find a way to clear those and eventually roll most of that money into a legit 2nd option plus role players.

Return to Chicago Bulls