Image ImageImage Image

The Nikola Mirotic Thread pt II - MERGED

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,903

Re: The Nikola Mirotic Thread pt II 

Post#821 » by TheStig » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:18 pm

fleet wrote:Nikola better get in the weight room.

That would appear to be said weight room behind Mirotic in the picture. Are you calling him a poser?
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,903

Post#822 » by TheStig » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:22 pm

Mirotic isn't going to be a 3. Dougie is a pure 3 and has a similar more developed perimeter game. Mirotic will put on muscle over the year and be a situational stretch 4 this year. He is the 4th big.
NDave79
Sixth Man
And1: 1,348

Post#823 » by NDave79 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:09 pm

I just wanted to share some thoughts after watching Nikola against some NBA competition -

- Gets pushed around by stronger bigs; needs to get stronger

- Height seems a little better than advertised imo.

- Not an explosive leaper

- Besides vertical jump, seems like a very good athlete for a 6'11" (I believe this should be his listed NBA height) player. Obviously has incredible hand eye coordination for a player his size, but imo moves around the court quite well and seems very agile. Excellent first step and very good lateral quickness. End to end speed is probably only average, but puts in enough effort here where in reality it is a positive.

- Loving his demeanor so far. Very passionate. Seems to have the appropriate personality to one day become a star (sort of like the opposite of Tony Snell's demeanor). Seems like he will be a great teammate and a coach's dream as far as attitude (sort of like the opposite demeanor of the Eddy Curry's, Micheal Beasley's and Darko Milic's of the world)

- Obviously a good shooter, but I think it is his floor game that really makes him unique. His handle is as smooth and natural as I can ever remember in a 6'11" player. Excellent passing ability. His ability to pass effortlessly and accurately when driving to the basket seems more appropriate for a player 6 inches shorter. Just seems to have a great feel for the game.

I fully admit to being a huge homer and definitely wear rose-colored glasses when it comes to evaluating young Bulls players. I believe most of my past mistakes in evaluation have involved overlooking red flags when it comes to players character and motivation (ie Tyrus and Eddy Curry, these guys made a fool of me). That said, I think Nikola has a chance to be pretty special. I wouldn't trade him for Parker or Wiggins. I would probably trade him for Embiid if I was confident in his health (don't know enough to have a strong opinion). While I'm sure he isn't as skilled, NIkola currently reminds me (as far as skills and personality/mental makeup) of a young 6'11" Manu Ginobli.

edit - Also, my opinions here are more a combination of what I've seen so far in pre-season and what I've read about and seen before he was a Bull. I haven't come to this opinion of Mirotic based solely off 5 preseason games.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,609

Post#824 » by Ice Man » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:14 pm

He doesn't look like Kukoc, and many aspects of the game are not familiar, but the rookie report sure looks similar -

1) Needs to get stronger
2) Taller than advertised
3) Great skills for his size
4) Excellent agility for his size
5) Gifted passer
NDave79
Sixth Man

Post#825 » by NDave79 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:22 pm

Ice Man wrote:He doesn't look like Kukoc, and many aspects of the game are not familiar, but the rookie report sure looks similar -

1) Needs to get stronger
2) Taller than advertised
3) Great skills for his size
4) Excellent agility for his size
5) Gifted passer

Darn it, I forgot about Kukoc when I said Mirotic was the smoothest 6'11" ball handler I could remember. Kukoc was definitely more skilled in the ball handling and passing department (he legitimately had the offensive skills to play PG imo). I think Mirotic has a much better frame though, and that it will allow him to effectively defend and bang with bigs in the NBA. I also think his personality is better suited to become a star and that he is a better athlete.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#826 » by Ice Man » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:26 pm

Sounds about right. Toni was a glider -- smoother than any big I can remember, both with the ball and on the move. Niko is more of a battler. He looks to have some Noce in him.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#827 » by Rerisen » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:32 pm

I don't see his passing nor playmaking near Kukoc, even the Turkoglu comparisons seem way off to me. Hedo used to run a ton of PnR for his teams, Niko won't do that.

He's more of a scorer or traditional stretch 4 but with a bit more all around game.
NDave79
Sixth Man

Post#828 » by NDave79 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:44 pm

Rerisen wrote:I don't see his passing nor playmaking near Kukoc, even the Turkoglu comparisons seem way off to me. Hedo used to run a ton of PnR for his teams, Niko won't do that.

He's more of a scorer or traditional stretch 4 but with a bit more all around game.

I agree stylistically, he is a very different player than Kukoc or Turkoglu. He is a stretch 4 and they were point forwards. For a stretch 4 though, I believe Mirotic will prove to have absolutely elite ball handling and passing as his career progresses.
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#829 » by MC3 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:10 pm

Only player who is similar to Kukoc for me is Saric. Similar height, same position(s) and same ball handling skills (in Europe, at least in Cibona was also play) and has great court vision. Mirotic is more Nowitzki type of player, ball handling skills good to make his own shot and not to be pressured by opponent player, using pump fakes, scorer.
maynardo
Bench Warmer
And1: 874

Post#830 » by maynardo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:54 pm

hope he start hitting shots in the first quarter, up until now he only has played well a couple of 4th Qs against the other team's bums. The rest of the time he's pump faking when he's wide open or simply missing corner 3s

What is surprising to me is that the Bulls never put him in pick & pop action like KLove did in Minnesota
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,463

Post#831 » by Mk0 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:10 pm

Deng was our SF for about a decade and he had the most awkward dribble ever. Handles aren't what is holding Niko back from playing the 3. I think it is lateral quickness on the defensive end.

Nikola is a stretch 4, and has the tools to be a damn good one. If he stops pump faking on every touch and commits to shooting that open jumper the lane will open up for his drives.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#832 » by Ice Man » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:17 pm

Rerisen wrote:I don't see his passing nor playmaking near Kukoc

Niko is 6"10 or so Eastern European who is taller than advertised, needs to hit the weight room, moves well, passes well, shoots well, is a stretch 4 who gives opposing defenses matchup problems ... and who doesn't remind me one bit of Toni when I watch him.

Ironic that.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,421

Post#833 » by fleet » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:46 pm

TheStig wrote:
fleet wrote:Nikola better get in the weight room.

That would appear to be said weight room behind Mirotic in the picture. Are you calling him a poser?

Trying to he funny. Like Marc Trestman.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Post#834 » by suckfish » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:38 pm

Nikola's preseason has been interesting. He's going to need time to get stronger and to adapt to the NBA game, however I absolutely love his aggressiveness. He is absolutely not afraid to drive the ball and to take shots. Nikola's quickness and agility is something else for a man of his size.

He's going to need a season or two, but I really think he can be a heck of a player.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,858

Post#835 » by AirP. » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:45 pm

I could be wrong but I think Mirotic is very hesitant on pulling the trigger on shots because he's got too much respect for his teammates. In a perfect world Mirotic takes every open shot he could get since he's one of the better shooters on the team, but as a rookie without the accolades as McDermot, he's basically one of the last options on the court. But every once in a while, you see him forget his place and go towards his instincts to be an offensive player and it's usually a good thing.

If Mirotic can get stronger where he can score at will against smaller players in the low post(where teams have to play bigger guys he can abuse from the outside), in a couple of years Chicago may have a new #1 option on the team.
Payt10
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 9,200

Post#836 » by Payt10 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:51 pm

He might be the best passer on the team. He looks like he belong on the Spurs with the way he sees the floor off the dribble. It's a very special skill that not a lot of people have. I've seen tremendous improvement in his game, not from a numbers perspective, but just in terms of his level of comfort.

Yesterday, he looked like a guy who knew the offense and defense and was just going out there trying to make plays for his teammates. I really like his ability to dribble penetrate and snap a pass that doesn't float in the air forever. He looks like a man with a plan before he does something, unlike McDermott, who right now looks like he's afraid of doing the wrong thing.

His intensity on defense will get him in foul trouble this year, but in limited minutes, it shouldn't be that big of an issue.
"All I want to do is grab somebody and bang nowadays" -Brad Miller
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#837 » by ManualRam » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:39 pm

AirP. wrote:I could be wrong but I think Mirotic is very hesitant on pulling the trigger on shots because he's got too much respect for his teammates.

i think he's getting used to the timing of nba closeouts. nba defenders close the gap harder and faster.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,858

Post#838 » by AirP. » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:03 pm

ManualRam wrote:
AirP. wrote:I could be wrong but I think Mirotic is very hesitant on pulling the trigger on shots because he's got too much respect for his teammates.

i think he's getting used to the timing of nba closeouts. nba defenders close the gap harder and faster.

I don't know, I feel he's seen that in Thib's practices and he's been more than open a few times where he's hesitated, but once he gets going he's much smoother. I tend to believe playing against Noah and Gibson probably has him getting use to good players closing out on shots. To me he's a guy who wants to fit in first and feel comfortable with his teammates and then he will start playing his game.

I just happen to think by at least the start of next season Chicago's going to have one hell of an offensive PF in Mirotic.
Godzilla039
Analyst
And1: 288

The Nikola Mirotic Thread pt II 

Post#839 » by Godzilla039 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:04 pm

I like Mirotic's potential. He can shoot from anywhere on the court, can put the ball on the floor and can also create his own shot. I'm not mad about the open shots he's passed up. He seems like a guy who'd rather get in a rhythm before he starts jacking up 3's. Also like what I see from him on defense. Team-wise he seems to always make the right rotations. Thing I like the most about his defense is his instincts. He has active hands, always trying to steal the ball if the offensive player gets careless .. unlike some people who just stand there ball watching. Hopefully he can hit his ceiling but it's hard to tell if he will considering how structured we are offensively

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Just a must-watch army of possessed ass-kickers laying the smack down night after night after night. People are gonna hate playing the Bulls this year.
NDave79
Sixth Man

Post#840 » by NDave79 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:06 pm

ManualRam wrote:

ManualRam,

I love your scouting reports and analysis of players (with the exception of you opinion of how Kyrie compares to Rose :D ). I know you were a pretty big advocate of Mirotic's talent before he came to the Bulls. Any updated opinions after seeing him the Bulls system against NBA players?

Return to Chicago Bulls