Image ImageImage Image

OT: RIP Robin Williams

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Mr. Tibbs
Head Coach
And1: 466

Re: OT: RIP Robin Williams 

Post#101 » by Mr. Tibbs » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:28 pm

His movies got a bit forgettable in the recent past, to the point where I kind of forgot how strong he was. Not many actors have that many iconic roles by their name. Personally I loved when he strayed away from being the good guy..loved him in Insomnia and One Hour Photo.
RIP Johnny Red Kerr, Norm Van Lier, Pdenninggolden, Bullsmaniac
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#102 » by kyrv » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:36 pm

Mr. Tibbs wrote:His movies got a bit forgettable in the recent past, to the point where I kind of forgot how strong he was. Not many actors have that many iconic roles by their name. Personally I loved when he strayed away from being the good guy..loved him in Insomnia and One Hour Photo.

Apparently he did a great bad guy on a Law and Order SVU which I'd like to see.

I didn't like his last TV show, despite loving him and Sarah.

Like you said, easy to forget how amazing he was, and how many iconic roles he had. I've liked him for a long time, Mork and Mindy, yet also forgot how many different titles he did!
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#103 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:53 pm

Profound23 wrote:I don't get angry at those who don't understand suicide. There was a span of time in my life where suicide was all I could think about. I was a huge football star in high-school (wide-receiver and safety) and had multiple opportunities for full rides at some prestigious schools with a very beautiful girlfriend at my side.

Unfortunately I suffered too many concussions and still get terrible migraines to this day. I was warned to hang it up my senior year of high-school. My girlfriend cheated on me then left me. I overdosed on pills, slit my wrists, hung myself in the basement, and drank a concoction of drano/bleach. I lived in a terrible neighborhood and often wandered the streets hoping someone would just finish me off. I felt this way until I had kids of my own and didn't want to disappoint them the way my father disappointed me (he left at an early age).

Later I found solace in coaching football, teaching, and most importantly being a father. I am lucky all of those attempts failed. Still at times when I suffer a migraine for days or weeks on end I battle with the thoughts.

I understand those who believe this to be cowardly and selfish as they probably have never battled with these thoughts on a normal basis.

Thank you for sharing.

I'm glad you were able to find something to help keep you strong, and keep leaning on your loved ones that give you the support you need to stay strong.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Jordan Rose123
Pro Prospect
And1: 117

Post#104 » by Jordan Rose123 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:57 pm

Get your rest Robin, thanks for the laughs and childhood movie memories :(
You mad?
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,452

Post#105 » by samwana » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:04 pm

Profound23 wrote:I don't get angry at those who don't understand suicide. There was a span of time in my life where suicide was all I could think about. I was a huge football star in high-school (wide-receiver and safety) and had multiple opportunities for full rides at some prestigious schools with a very beautiful girlfriend at my side.

Unfortunately I suffered too many concussions and still get terrible migraines to this day. I was warned to hang it up my senior year of high-school. My girlfriend cheated on me then left me. I overdosed on pills, slit my wrists, hung myself in the basement, and drank a concoction of drano/bleach. I lived in a terrible neighborhood and often wandered the streets hoping someone would just finish me off. I felt this way until I had kids of my own and didn't want to disappoint them the way my father disappointed me (he left at an early age).

Later I found solace in coaching football, teaching, and most importantly being a father. I am lucky all of those attempts failed. Still at times when I suffer a migraine for days or weeks on end I battle with the thoughts.

I understand those who believe this to be cowardly and selfish as they probably have never battled with these thoughts on a normal basis.

Thanks for sharing, that must have been really tough to cope with at the time and even now. I'm glad you found something worth to live for. Glad to have you here!
RoseTheFuture22
Veteran
And1: 404

Post#106 » by RoseTheFuture22 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:22 pm

I remember watching 'Awakenings' for a psych class in high school and just being wowed because to that point I had only ever seen him in comedies, he was such a diverse actor and played so many different roles well. So sad to hear that he still had demons even late into life
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#107 » by Jcool0 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:24 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JeremyJahns/status/499196144111460353[/tweet]
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,454

Post#108 » by Mk0 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:30 am

The Editor of the comedy website Cracked.Com had a very informative article about comedians and depression.
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/robi ... hemselves/
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,571

Post#109 » by Profound23 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:32 pm

Heat3Peat wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
Heat3Peat wrote:Sad thing is this countries government is more worried about other countries than the one's here, and in the case mental illnesses.

Instead of sending billions of our hard earned money to help other countries problems, we should invest here in homeless, food-less, jobless, and to me most importantly mental health.

So sad to see such a brilliant, awesome man go out like that.

That coming from a a Heat fan.

Yes, I just have the Cavs, Browns, Indians, Bluejackets, and Buckeyes logos as my favorite teams bc I'm a Heat fan....

You're an astute one aren't ya?

I was being sarcastic. :nod:
red222
RealGM
And1: 2,293

Post#110 » by red222 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:00 pm

that's some heavy **** son I appreciate you sharing that
Gregnice33
Analyst
And1: 582

Post#111 » by Gregnice33 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:01 pm

Mk0 wrote:The Editor of the comedy website Cracked.Com had a very informative article about comedians and depression.
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/robi ... hemselves/

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing it.
When it comes to racism, people say: I don't care if they're black, white, purple or green Ooh hold on now: Purple or Green? You gotta draw the line somewhere! To hell with purple people - Unless they're suffocating - then help'em
~Mitch Hedberg
fast-break
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,858

Post#112 » by fast-break » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:00 pm

Tenchi Ryu
RealGM
And1: 6,426

Post#113 » by Tenchi Ryu » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:19 pm

kyrv wrote:Apparently he did a great bad guy on a Law and Order SVU which I'd like to see.

Normally Olivia and Elliot manage to crack the case, but Robin Williams character was playing them all episode. Just 2 to 3 steps ahead the entire time. Was great stuff.
[x] Fire Thibs
[x] Fire Kirk
[x] Fire Noah
[x] Fire GarPax
kyrv
RealGM

Post#114 » by kyrv » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:59 pm

Tenchi Ryu wrote:
kyrv wrote:Apparently he did a great bad guy on a Law and Order SVU which I'd like to see.

Normally Olivia and Elliot manage to crack the case, but Robin Williams character was playing them all episode. Just 2 to 3 steps ahead the entire time. Was great stuff.

Oh wow that sounds good.

As mentioned a few posts above, the first time I saw Robin Williams in a non-comedy, first I scoffed, then I was wowed.

A sad thing for me, is that if before he did it, he could have seen just how many peoples' lives he touched and what he meant to people, he wouldn't have done it. :(
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#115 » by HomoSapien » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:44 pm

kyrv wrote:A sad thing for me, is that if before he did it, he could have seen just how many peoples' lives he touched and what he meant to people, he wouldn't have done it. :(

For some reason I keep thinking of that too. If there were a way for him to see how many lives he touched, would he have had second thoughts about this?

This and Michael Jackson have by far been two of the saddest celebrity deaths for me (and Princess Di) . You really have to be a special person/talent to touch a stranger's life. Robin Wiliams really had such a huge impact around the world.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
MalikJoakim24
Banned User
And1: 3,420

Post#116 » by MalikJoakim24 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:47 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Disney/status/499289300182523905[/tweet]

rest in paradise
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#117 » by johnnyvann840 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:54 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
kyrv wrote:A sad thing for me, is that if before he did it, he could have seen just how many peoples' lives he touched and what he meant to people, he wouldn't have done it. :(

For some reason I keep thinking of that too. If there were a way for him to see how many lives he touched, would he have had second thoughts about this?

This and Michael Jackson have by far been two of the saddest celebrity deaths for me (and Princess Di) . You really have to be a special person/talent to touch a stranger's life. Robin Wiliams really had such a huge impact around the world.

I'm pretty sure he knew. The thing that was strongest to overcome for him to go through with it was surely knowing what it would do to his children, his family. He must of been in so much pain.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
kyrv
RealGM

Post#118 » by kyrv » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:58 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:

I'm pretty sure he knew. The thing that was strongest to overcome for him to go through with it was surely knowing what it would do to his children, his family. He must of been in so much pain.

Very sad. He was 63, every day for 63 years he went to bed at night, but this night could not. How many other nights was he close? Was he close in his 20's? How much work we would have missed. Just really sad.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,430

Post#119 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:30 am

I've personally had two people attempt suicide while on the phone with me. My mother killed herself. I almost did one night if not for someone who posts on these boards. It is a tough thing. Some people are wired for it. If you are it is a strange feeling.
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#120 » by Polynice4Pippen » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:49 am

Michael Jackson wrote:I've personally had two people attempt suicide while on the phone with me. My mother killed herself. I almost did one night if not for someone who posts on these boards. It is a tough thing. Some people are wired for it. If you are it is a strange feeling.

This is a heartbreaking post. So sorry to hear about your mother, can't even imagine that or your pain. It's awesome though that someone on these boards kept you around. Just hope that mental illness is beginning to get the attention it deserves finally. Be well, friend.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:

Return to Chicago Bulls