Image ImageImage Image

Noah-Gasol

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

2015nbachamps
Banned User
And1: 124

Re: Noah-Gasol 

Post#61 » by 2015nbachamps » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:15 am

Rerisen wrote:
2015nbachamps wrote:i'm not going for hype.

Mcdermott is going to be awesome!!! and this year!!

Gasol is going to be awesome!!!

The Bulls are going to win the championship THIS YEAR!! I will bet you anything you want to bet and the odds are certainly WAAAAAAAAY against me...still, i will bet you anything. name it!

Well I hope you are right, and I'll try not to bother your enthusiasm anymore, because we are probably coming at things from incompatible angles.

please feel free to discuss what i write...i don enjoy your efforts...we are just on the opposite ends of the spectrum in temrs of what mcderm and gasol mean to us as final pieces. For me that are the final peices...For me, I'm way more concerned about Rose not only staying healthy but also learning to play a team game as opposed to hero ball rose that will likely get hurt again pressing.

and its not like myself and all the posters on here dont understand your skepticism...Mcderm is a rookie and gasol is 34. But sometimes, you see something being built...something being made in front of you...a book, a painting, a house down the block, a kitchen remodel, etc...and you can see the beauty of it before it is a finished product. I've been reading here for a long time...before many of the mods even were on here reading/writing/modding and Ive seen blind optimistic posters (homers) come and go. This year...a lot of negative posters are believers, some of them are on the fence almost ready to jump on, and others wont be jumping on until game 6 or game 7 of the ECF...by the time we get to the finals just about all of us will be on board...but some of us just see the beauty in what the front office has put together here early. This season has one of those "its all happening" feelings and also seems like it really is all happening. We are all obviously Bulls fans here rooting for the same thing.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#62 » by Rerisen » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:21 am

2015nbachamps wrote:
Rerisen wrote:
2015nbachamps wrote:i'm not going for hype.

Mcdermott is going to be awesome!!! and this year!!

Gasol is going to be awesome!!!

The Bulls are going to win the championship THIS YEAR!! I will bet you anything you want to bet and the odds are certainly WAAAAAAAAY against me...still, i will bet you anything. name it!

Well I hope you are right, and I'll try not to bother your enthusiasm anymore, because we are probably coming at things from incompatible angles.

please feel free to discuss what i write...i don enjoy your efforts...we are just on the opposite ends of the spectrum in temrs of what mcderm and gasol mean to us as final pieces. For me that are the final peices...For me, I'm way more concerned about Rose not only staying healthy but also learning to play a team game as opposed to hero ball rose that will likely get hurt again pressing.

and its not like myself and all the posters on here dont understand your skepticism...Mcderm is a rookie and gasol is 34. But sometimes, you see something being built...something being made in front of you...a book, a painting, a house down the block, a kitchen remodel, etc...and you can see the beauty of it before it is a finished product. I've been reading here for a long time...before many of the mods even were on here reading/writing/modding and Ive seen blind optimistic posters (homers) come and go. This year...a lot of negative posters are believers, some of them are on the fence almost ready to jump on, and others wont be jumping on until game 6 or game 7 of the ECF...by the time we get to the finals just about all of us will be on board...but some of us just see the beauty in what the front office has put together here early. This season has one of those "its all happening" feelings and also seems like it really is all happening. We are all obviously Bulls fans here rooting for the same thing.

I think Vegas has us tied for like 5th best odds. Sounds about right to me. I wouldn't call agreeing with general consensus as being 'negative'. As anywhere outside this forum, and even on it, thinking the Bulls are the favorites is a very small minority position. Doesn't mean the Bulls can't win, we just aren't seen as most likely to. Because the team has too many unanswered questions and contingencies that must happen first to get there. If those get answered as we go along this year, odds should be adjusted accordingly, which is what I will do.
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#63 » by Proven_Winner » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:22 am

Rerisen wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:Forreal though I never even considered him a C. Defensively you could name a couple of guys better than him at C and even at PF.

He's mostly a C on defense now ideally. He played 60% of LA's C minutes last year, only 12% at PF. Even Spain is starting him there over Marc. He doesn't have the mobility to be chasing the ever growing perimeter 4s well.

Yea I just saw that on BBALL reference, but if that's the case why can't Timmy and AD be included since both of them played primarily C last season and both of them are way ahead of Pau on defense.
2015nbachamps
Banned User

Post#64 » by 2015nbachamps » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:28 am

O see others speaking on the subject so I will explain.

I have Gasol at C for us defensively. Noah will be on the perimeter opposed to Gasol. We could NOT do that for the past 4 years because Boozer could NOT defend the post. Pau is 7'1" and long...he has long arms and an elite standing reach. He is not mobile enough to chase stretch 4's or 5's and paly elite defense in that manner.

But...with our system, with our perimeter defense...with Noah guarding stretch 4's and 5's and Gasol protecting the paint...I have 100,000,000 % confidence that our defense will be top 5 overall and perhaps the #1 overall defense in the league. And when Gasol's metrics are compared with that of other C around the league in December, jan, Feb, at the end of the season...our defense will be elite. And Gasol will be the anchor to it all at least 60% of the time...giving him similar numbers to Noah last year. I dont think our defense will miss a beat...not one from december on through the rest of the season.

Additionally, if we are behind and need offense to close out a game...we are better served with gasol on th ecourt over Noah and a stretch 4 on the court with him...perhaps Mirotic, perhaps, Taj, perhaps mcderm...we shall see...but defensively we are not going to miss that much with Gasol at the 5 in lieu of Noah. That's my take. I point to 2 Laker titles and 4 more long playoff runs th elakers made where Pau was on the court 38 plus minutes per game defending the paint quite well in terms of team defense and head to head defense in the post. gasol is 7'1" not 6'10" he is and always really has been a C that played PF at times.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#65 » by dice » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:31 am

Rerisen wrote:
2015nbachamps wrote:
Rerisen wrote:

I think Vegas has us tied for like 5th best odds. Sounds about right to me.

bovada odds:

2.5:1 cavs
4:1 spurs
5.5:1 bulls
6:1 thunder
12:1 clips

a couple of other sites have the thunder ahead of the bulls, and that sounds more realistic to me
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
2015nbachamps
Banned User

Post#66 » by 2015nbachamps » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:35 am

Rerisen wrote:
2015nbachamps wrote:
Rerisen wrote:

I think Vegas has us tied for like 5th best odds. Sounds about right to me. I wouldn't call agreeing with general consensus as being 'negative'. As anywhere outside this forum, and even on it, thinking the Bulls are the favorites is a very small minority position. Doesn't mean the Bulls can't win, we just aren't seen as most likely to. Because the team has too many unanswered questions and contingencies that must happen first to get there. If those get answered as we go along this year, odds should be adjusted accordingly, which is what I will do.

we had a poll a month ago...i purposely bookmarked it. 70% of the posters that voted...over 120 voted and think the bulls will be in the finals...hardly a small minority position. of that 70% about 45% think we are going to win it all this year.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by Rerisen » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:36 am

dice wrote:
Rerisen wrote:
2015nbachamps wrote:

bovada odds:

a couple of other sites have the thunder ahead of the bulls, and that sounds more realistic to me

Well being in the west handicaps teams there vs the specific bet, but were it a head to head right now, I think odds makers would take OKC over us in the Finals. With LAC close to 50/50. Of course those could change by the time such a match would happen,
2015nbachamps
Banned User

Post#68 » by 2015nbachamps » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:37 am

dice wrote:
Rerisen wrote:
2015nbachamps wrote:

bovada odds:

exactly!!

And I would add that Lebron gets the MJ hype...the money follows him and skews the real odds...a true NBA gambler will NOT give the cavs those odds. Then the Spurs are the resident champions and get a little bit favored because of it.

Essentially...the spurs, cavs, and bulls are even money in TRUE NBA GAMBLING CIRCLES.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by Rerisen » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:43 am

2015nbachamps wrote:we had a poll a month ago...i purposely bookmarked it. 70% of the posters that voted...over 120 voted and think the bulls will be in the finals...hardly a small minority position. of that 70% about 45% think we are going to win it all this year.

Yeah that does sound like a typical home fan base on second thought.... so rescind the comment back to only observers with no rooting interest in the Bulls.

My surface thought went more to certain mainstay posters here, and less so all the people that likely just dropped in to vote the figurative 'Raps in 4' type pick.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#70 » by dice » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:47 am

2015nbachamps wrote:
dice wrote:
Rerisen wrote:

bovada odds:

exactly!!

And I would add that Lebron gets the MJ hype...the money follows him and skews the real odds...a true NBA gambler will NOT give the cavs those odds. Then the Spurs are the resident champions and get a little bit favored because of it.

Essentially...the spurs, cavs, and bulls are even money in TRUE NBA GAMBLING CIRCLES.

maybe if derrick's health was assured. but it's not. far from it

i'd be interested in the odds of derrick playing 60+ games this year
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
2015nbachamps
Banned User

Post#71 » by 2015nbachamps » Mon Sep 1, 2014 3:03 am

dice wrote:
2015nbachamps wrote:
dice wrote:bovada odds:

exactly!!

maybe if derrick's health was assured. but it's not. far from it

i'd be interested in the odds of derrick playing 60+ games this year

Rose's health is only part of it for me...how he plays is also a big part of my skepticism. Rose needs to learn to play under control and run the offense and allow all the weapons around him to do their thing...we finally have players at every position that will draw the opposing defenses' attention...as Rose helps them garner that respect and attention the lanes and spots on the floor for Rose will open up and make it easier on him to score...but we need to pass the ball and run through our sets. gasol needs his touches in the post and mcderm need to come out firing off screens, curls, and fades...the work the defense on close outs...get some high low actiona with gasol and Noah...work the elbows with gasol and jimmy butler will need to jump on defense laying off of him as he essentially becomes kind of the 5th option. Rose does all this...allows his team to work...and he will stay healthy. If gamblers knew Rose was going to stay healthy and play the "right" our odds would likely end up similar to the cavs. Gasol and mcderm are not holding our odds of winning back.

rose's health and ability to modify his game to make his teamates better and to better use them is where the last trickle of skepticsm lies in gambling cirlcles.
FecesOfDeath
Head Coach
And1: 1,675

Post#72 » by FecesOfDeath » Mon Sep 1, 2014 3:48 am

Pau will be fine playing a Hibbert-like defensive role for the Bulls. Unlike Thibs when he was in Boston, he almost never has his bigs show on the pick and roll, which helps keep the paint guarded and puts them in optimal rebounding position. Pau's size will also be great for guarding against cross-court weakside passes.

Pau may be older, but he's nowhere close to being Aaron Gray mobility-wise. If he takes to Thibs' coaching quickly, he's going to be a defensive force.
krikor
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#73 » by krikor » Mon Sep 1, 2014 5:13 am

Pau - Noah is a slow frontcourt me thinks, i think both of them are 5..not a 4.Especially at this age with pau gasol.
More so, i think your team needs a ray allen mike miller floor spacer for rose.
Eduardo
Banned User
And1: 633

Post#74 » by Eduardo » Mon Sep 1, 2014 5:38 am

krikor wrote:Pau - Noah is a slow frontcourt me thinks, i think both of them are 5..not a 4.Especially at this age with pau gasol.
More so, i think your team needs a ray allen mike miller floor spacer for rose.

This is why I like the Noah-Mirotic Taj-Pau duos more. Both have good defenders and scorers, with players playing their correct positions.
Eduardo
Banned User

Post#75 » by Eduardo » Mon Sep 1, 2014 5:41 am

FecesOfDeath wrote:Pau will be fine playing a Hibbert-like defensive role for the Bulls. Unlike Thibs when he was in Boston, he almost never has his bigs show on the pick and roll, which helps keep the paint guarded and puts them in optimal rebounding position. Pau's size will also be great for guarding against cross-court weakside passes.

Pau may be older, but he's nowhere close to being Aaron Gray mobility-wise. If he takes to Thibs' coaching quickly, he's going to be a defensive force.

:lol: Come on man. I'm pretty optimistic when it comes to the Bulls, but even I won't go as far as predicting Gasol to be a defensive force. Pau Gasol has never been and will never be a defensive force. End of discussion.
2015nbachamps
Banned User

Post#76 » by 2015nbachamps » Mon Sep 1, 2014 6:33 am

Eduardo wrote:
FecesOfDeath wrote:Pau will be fine playing a Hibbert-like defensive role for the Bulls. Unlike Thibs when he was in Boston, he almost never has his bigs show on the pick and roll, which helps keep the paint guarded and puts them in optimal rebounding position. Pau's size will also be great for guarding against cross-court weakside passes.

:lol: Come on man. I'm pretty optimistic when it comes to the Bulls, but even I won't go as far as predicting Gasol to be a defensive force. Pau Gasol has never been and will never be a defensive force. End of discussion.

you know...defensive "force" is basically non existant in today's game. No one is allowed to be physical anymore...no one is allowed to be intimidating anymore. Defense in todays game is about being cerebral. its about knowing your oppenent...its more about how quick your mind tells you to move your feet than it is about actually moving your feet. its about making your body wide. its about making your body tall. its about funnelling. Its about fencing. Its about playing in unison with 5 other guys on the court.

Its NOT about shot blocking. Shot blocking has always been one of the greatest myths about defense...the best thing a good shooter can ask for is a shot blocker...because that guy will just about always go for a shot block and you can catch them with an eyebrow fake all game long to get by them or draw the foul.

Its NOt about jumping out of the gym.

Its not about ruffing up an oppenent and hard fouls, and scrapes across the wrist, and threats to kick another guys butt after the game. That way of playing defense...what Oakley, MJ, Bird, Rodman, malone, Stockton, Cooper what these guys could do is NOT allowed anymore...most of it anyway...social media doesn't really allow anyone to embrace their true inner arshole anymore on the court...changes in the rules along the way have dictated that game be played civilized. You cant put a guy on the ground anymore with rough fouls...they are now flagrants.

So being a defensive force doesn't exist the way it once did.

But for everything we need a C to do...pau gasol can will likely do as well as just about any C in the game. ONly Howard and possibly Asik have shown they are significantly leaps and bounds better defensively than the rest of the guys in the league at C. And Asik did it in our system...both Howard and Asik looked terrible in Houston. Shells of their former selves...so maybe our system makes C look better...more like a "force." I'm guessing that Gasol at C will look just as good as Noah does and vice versa when either is at the 5. Both look better next to taj who is also very capable of doing what he is suppose to do...and both will look better when Hinrich, Butler, and Rose are on the floor as opposed to Brooks, snell, and dunleavy.

But when the dust settles and the smoke clears here will be little difference between Noah and Gasol at the 5. At the 4 Noah will be better for sure. If I had to put a number on it...I would say Gasol will be a tleast 90% as good as Noah defensively...and Noah just won DPOY...we can debate this all we want for now...lets revisit in February. Offensively, Noah wont be even 60% the player Gasol is. We shall see.
Eduardo
Banned User

Post#77 » by Eduardo » Mon Sep 1, 2014 6:39 am

2015nbachamps wrote:
Eduardo wrote:

you know...defensive "force" is basically non existant in today's game. No one is allowed to be physical anymore...no one is allowed to be intimidating anymore. Defense in todays game is about being cerebral. its about knowing your oppenent...its more about how quick your mind tells you to move your feet than it is about actually moving your feet. its about making your body wide. its about making your body tall. its about funnelling. Its about fencing. Its about playing in unison with 5 other guys on the court.

Its NOT about shot blocking. Shot blocking has always been one of the greatest myths about defense...the best thing a good shooter can ask for is a shot blocker...because that guy will just about always go for a shot block and you can catch them with an eyebrow fake all game long to get by them or draw the foul.

Its not about ruffing up an oppenent and hard fouls, and scrapes across the wrist, and threats to kick another guys butt after the game. That way of playing defense...what Oakley, MJ, Bird, Rodman, malone, Stockton, Cooper what these guys could do is NOT allowed anymore...most of it anyway...social media doesn't really allow anyone to embrace their true inner arshole anymore on the court...changes in the rules along the way have dictated that game be played civilized. You cant put a guy on the ground anymore with rough fouls...they are now flagrants.

But for everything we need a C to do...pau gasol can will likely do as well as just about any C in the game. ONly Howard and possibly Asik have shown they are significantly leaps and bounds better defensively than the rest of the guys in the league at C. And Asik did it in our system...both Howard and Asik looked terrible in Houston. Shells of their former selves...so maybe our system makes C look better...more like a "force." I'm guessing that Gasol at C will look just as good as Noah does and vice versa when either is at the 5. Both look better next to taj who is also very capable of doing what he is suppose to do...and both will look better when Hinrich, Butler, and Rose are on the floor as opposed to Brooks, snell, and dunleavy.

But when the dust settles and the smoke clears here will be little difference between Noah and Gasol at the 5. At the 4 Noah will be better for sure. If I had to put a number on it...I would say Gasol will be a tleast 90% as good as Noah defensively...and Noah just won DPOY...we can debate this all we want for now...lets revisit in February. Offensively, Noah wont be even 60% the player Gasol is. We shall see.

Come on man... This is madness.
2015nbachamps
Banned User

Post#78 » by 2015nbachamps » Mon Sep 1, 2014 6:57 am

Eduardo wrote:
2015nbachamps wrote:
Eduardo wrote: :lol: Come on man. I'm pretty optimistic when it comes to the Bulls, but even I won't go as far as predicting Gasol to be a defensive force. Pau Gasol has never been and will never be a defensive force. End of discussion.

gasol with 17, 20, 11 and 3 blocks vs asik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_4oJ2HBtKQ

triple double vs the spurs in the playoffs 2 years ago with no kobe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnQ7ThH0Uds
wonderboy2
Analyst
And1: 1,949

Post#79 » by wonderboy2 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 9:21 am

Lol now this board just created another imaginary problem a Noah/ Gasol line up being to slow. Nevermind that Noah is one of the fastest centers in the game(DEFINATELY top 5) and Gasol moves well for a 7"1 guy. I mean there are a ton of slower front courts then the bulls. The problem poster on this board makes is that they look at players age and stats and don't watch games. People think just because the bulls have 2 7 footers that are in there 30"s that they are going to be slow. But if you watched the lakers last season and even the summer games Paul is moving EXTREMELY well. And Noah is always amongst the fastest centers. I'm waiting for the next imaginary problem to be created by this board. I got one the bulls defense is going to be terrible this year becuase rose is starting over Hinrich. Wait I think someone already mentioned that one already smh.
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#80 » by Proven_Winner » Mon Sep 1, 2014 12:20 pm

2015nbachamps wrote:
Eduardo wrote:
2015nbachamps wrote:

gasol with 17, 20, 11 and 3 blocks vs asik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_4oJ2HBtKQ

triple double vs the spurs in the playoffs 2 years ago with no kobe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnQ7ThH0Uds

That 2nd video did put a smile on my face. With Jo and Pau setting the table our guards and bigs are going to F**** eat. I can already see some oops for Jimmy, Taj. and maybe even Snell.

Return to Chicago Bulls