Image ImageImage Image

Jimmy Butler Extension - MERGING

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Re: Jimmy Butler Extension - MERGING 

Post#1021 » by jc23 » Sat Nov 1, 2014 5:36 am

Damn i deep down i thought it would get done. Just shows you how lucky the heat were for 4 years to get all those guys to take slight paycuts.

I think garpax was worried of overpaying jimmy in the possibility that Derrick goes down again. Jimmy is a solid player but only for a contender imo. Even if last year was a fluke he is a 4th option type player come playoff time. maybe 3rd on his good days.
Be curious, Not judgmental
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#1022 » by dice » Sat Nov 1, 2014 5:37 am

Red-Bulls83 wrote:
dice wrote:
Darius Miles Davis wrote:As a fan, I wish we had Butler wrapped up, but an 11 mil per year offer for him is fair.

is it reported that 11 was offered?

anyway, deng was offered something similar, he also turned it down, and was given 61/5 the following summer after a bad year. i say if the FO is planning on offering a default 12 mil next summer, just do it now and avoid market value rising due to a GOOD season

The one thing I would be worried about is some goofball GM actually offering Jimmy the max.

Let's say he's is able to be a 14-15 pt scorer this year and with the way he plays defense, I could see it happening now. After this off-season and the contracts that have been handed out, it would not surprise me one bit.

could well happen, though a crappy team w/ that kind of cap space might not be wise using it on butler. it's not like he's a game-changer
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
eierluke
Lead Assistant
And1: 87

Post#1023 » by eierluke » Sat Nov 1, 2014 6:19 am

Good luck they Bulls front office did not sign him, what they reportedly offered has already been way too much.
Jimmy Butler is a great defender but when taking into account that he is a poor shooter, he (even as a starter) is more or less a (valuable) role player and he definitely should not get more than Taj Gibson (8.0 / 8.5 / 8.95 over the next 3 years)
Let's save the money for a wing, who can shoot.

The Bulls front office has a good instinct for what is too much. Think about how lucky we came out by not signing Ben Gordon ...
sven petersson
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#1024 » by jc23 » Sat Nov 1, 2014 6:24 am

eierluke wrote:Good luck they Bulls front office did not sign him, what they reportedly offered has already been way too much.
Jimmy Butler is a great defender but when taking into account that he is a poor shooter, he (even as a starter) is more or less a (valuable) role player and he definitely should not get more than Taj Gibson (8.0 / 8.5 / 8.95 over the next 3 years)

The Bulls front office has a good instinct for what is too much. Think about how lucky we came out by not signing Ben Gordon ...

the thing is we already have a bunch of large contracts so there will be little room to sign a better player then Jimmy in the short term.

As long as he doesnt walk for nothing next summer im ok with it. trade him or extend him.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,610

Post#1025 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sat Nov 1, 2014 9:56 am

At the point we better hope Snell continues to develop. I liked what I saw with him while guarding LeBron but he still has a lot to learn.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#1026 » by Hangtime84 » Sat Nov 1, 2014 11:46 am

jc23 wrote:Damn i deep down i thought it would get done. Just shows you how lucky the heat were for 4 years to get all those guys to take slight paycuts.

I think garpax was worried of overpaying jimmy in the possibility that Derrick goes down again. Jimmy is a solid player but only for a contender imo. Even if last year was a fluke he is a 4th option type player come playoff time. maybe 3rd on his good days.

My thoughts exactly. This situation is similar to Spurs with Kawhi Leonard to me as well. They are Valuable players, but both those orgs don't play players based off potential "growth" they pay players based off what their past production. Bulter hasn't done much to show he's worth 12+ mil.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
danzou
Sixth Man
And1: 505

Post#1027 » by danzou » Sat Nov 1, 2014 11:59 am

Jimmy wanting Klay money is a frackin joke. Klay is nearly as good a defender and is miles ahead on the offensive end. I'm glad the Bulls stuck to their guns.
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#1028 » by blumeany » Sat Nov 1, 2014 11:59 am

I like things better this way. I'd rather see what we are really buying this season, as opposed to paying out the nose and having buyers remorse. Let's see if Jimmy really has taken that next step before committing better than Deng money to him.
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
danzou
Sixth Man
And1: 505

Post#1029 » by danzou » Sat Nov 1, 2014 12:02 pm

Trade Jimmy to the Sixers, let's see what that does to his stats.
DaeDae
Analyst
And1: 661

Post#1030 » by DaeDae » Sat Nov 1, 2014 12:42 pm

Yeah. We can't pay him Klay money. But 4/48 is fair.
Red Larrivee wrote:The Bulls have too many untouchables for a team without a second option.
Drellberg
Pro Prospect
And1: 182

Post#1031 » by Drellberg » Sat Nov 1, 2014 12:59 pm

It's not a surprise that this deal didn't get done; the incentives are all aligned against it. Butler is betting on himself, as he says. The FO is betting that they can get a discount, if not from Butler then from another player(s) to fill his spot down the road. Both sides have very, very good cause to think that they are right, and their positions are not mutually exclusive. Indeed, I think both are spot on.

In the end, Butler's season will dictate what he can command in the marketplace, and from that starting point he will have to decide if he wants to give the bulls a hometown discount. The FO, I strongly suspect, will not resign him unless he does. And why should they? They are getting impressive discounts from other players who want to be in Chicago.
TruthSerum
Rookie
And1: 274

Post#1032 » by TruthSerum » Sat Nov 1, 2014 1:21 pm

danzou wrote:
TruthSerum wrote:
We tried like heck to get something done, but ultimately, the Bulls wanted a ‘hometown’ discount. While understandable, I doubt their GM or coaches give Mr. Reinsdorf a discount when negotiating their own deals.

Still can't believe his agent was stupid enough to say that. :noway:

Why? It's the truth.

Is it the truth? GarPax was really all like come on Jimmy, give us a "hometown discount" bro? I'm sure they'd say it's what they believe Jimmy's value is on a championship contender.

But terminology aside, you don't call GarPax flaming hypocrites, you don't tie our coaches in with the FO and you certainly don't invoke Uncle Jerry. That's just dumb.
51st pick vs. 11th pick
red222
RealGM
And1: 2,293

Post#1033 » by red222 » Sat Nov 1, 2014 2:14 pm

The Bulls made extension proposals that would have given Jimmy Butler salaries that averaged $11MM a year, but the swingman turned them down,reports Kc Johnson of the Chicago Tribune
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,949

Post#1034 » by Axl Rose » Sat Nov 1, 2014 2:25 pm

eierluke wrote:Good luck they Bulls front office did not sign him, what they reportedly offered has already been way too much.

who says Gordon would have fell off a cliff like he did had he stayed?
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#1035 » by Hangtime84 » Sat Nov 1, 2014 2:36 pm

red222 wrote:
The Bulls made extension proposals that would have given Jimmy Butler salaries that averaged $11MM a year, but the swingman turned them down,reports Kc Johnson of the Chicago Tribune

well **** your agent. Good luck signing to a better team
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 897

Post#1036 » by Evil_Headband » Sat Nov 1, 2014 2:38 pm

Wow, there would be no way in the world I'd have turned down $11 million per year if I were Jimmy. Unless you're stupid with the money, that sets you and your family up to be wealthy for life. If he has a major injury, he may never get that big contract. That's too risky for me.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#1037 » by TheStig » Sat Nov 1, 2014 2:40 pm

The Bulls need to be proactive here and start exploring Butler trades. We have seen this scenairo play out time and time again. We will lose him for nothing in the offseason. Time to get a value wing and a pick for him.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Post#1038 » by coldfish » Sat Nov 1, 2014 2:41 pm

If the Bulls offered $11M per year, they did nothing wrong. Avery Bradley got a lot less than that. Lance Stephenson got less than that. Jimmy might get a big offer and if he does, he is gone but there isn't much that can be done. You can't give Butler $15M per year or something.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#1039 » by TheStig » Sat Nov 1, 2014 2:44 pm

coldfish wrote:If the Bulls offered $11M per year, they did nothing wrong. Avery Bradley got a lot less than that. Lance Stephenson got less than that. Jimmy might get a big offer and if he does, he is gone but there isn't much that can be done. You can't give Butler $15M per year or something.

What if you are an ECF or Finals team this year? Are you really going to let a key piece walk from a contender? I think the Bulls have to trade him to avoid that question. Because we all know what they will chose.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Post#1040 » by coldfish » Sat Nov 1, 2014 2:58 pm

TheStig wrote:
coldfish wrote:If the Bulls offered $11M per year, they did nothing wrong. Avery Bradley got a lot less than that. Lance Stephenson got less than that. Jimmy might get a big offer and if he does, he is gone but there isn't much that can be done. You can't give Butler $15M per year or something.

What if you are an ECF or Finals team this year? Are you really going to let a key piece walk from a contender? I think the Bulls have to trade him to avoid that question. Because we all know what they will chose.

Yeah, the Bulls are screwed. Given his contract situation, I doubt anyone is going to give you much of value. He just turned down $11M per year.

Like you said, he is likely gone after the year.

There is no way out that leads to a happy ending here.

Return to Chicago Bulls