Image ImageImage Image

ESPN NBA Player Rankings

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Re: ESPN NBA Player Rankings 

Post#261 » by Jvaughn » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:08 pm

2Chainz wrote:Just looking at the Bulls roster if you swap out Noah for the guy listed right behind him (Aldridge) and right in front of him (Noah) the Bulls would be exponentially better. Those other teams not so much.

I think that's one of those situations where both teams get worse.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#262 » by dice » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:08 pm

2Chainz wrote:The Bulls with Aldridge or Anthony in place of Noah are title favorites.

baloney

the bulls with melo are the nuggets with melo and iverson. somewhat better supporting cast. similar story with aldridge. we might be a better team, but title favorites? c'mon
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#263 » by dice » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:09 pm

Jvaughn wrote:
2Chainz wrote:Just looking at the Bulls roster if you swap out Noah for the guy listed right behind him (Aldridge) and right in front of him (Noah) the Bulls would be exponentially better. Those other teams not so much.

I think that's one of those situations where both teams get worse.

could be
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#264 » by musiqsoulchild » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:11 pm

2Chainz wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:

You could apply that "logic" with any player and have interesting, nonsensical results.

You could take Marc Gasol (#14) and switch him out with LeMarcus Aldridge (#13) and immediately make Portland a much strong team and Memphis a weaker team.

This, much like PER, is a boring, pointless game without the adequate context layered in.

I think both of those teams would still be close to where they are now. New York would fall off the map with Noah and Portland would take a dive as well.

This is what I mean...there is no context to what you are saying.

You are looking at these ratings in such a vaccum. And using that to push your point that Aldridge is a better fit on the Bulls than Noah is on the Bulls.

How exactly does Aldridge fit? Have you seen how much PnR we play? Or how little? Do you know that Aldridge has pretty much survived on the 2 point shot. And that he is a poor defender and with a Noah for Aldridge swap, we can kiss our defense goodbye.

Melo of course fits better on our roster ...but that has nothing to do with the ESPN rankings.

Noah is not untradeable (in terms of basketball), but there's very few players I would trade him for. Marc Gasol is an example.
For love, not money.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM

Post#265 » by musiqsoulchild » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:14 pm

By the way, congrats to Noah on being the highest rated Bull.

Really, we have 2 Top 15 players and the rest are all in the Top 70. Rose may have been #28, but his rating much like Wade's and Bosh's is deflated by prior years and usage.
For love, not money.
2Chainz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,010

Post#266 » by 2Chainz » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:15 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:
2Chainz wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:
You could apply that "logic" with any player and have interesting, nonsensical results.

You could take Marc Gasol (#14) and switch him out with LeMarcus Aldridge (#13) and immediately make Portland a much strong team and Memphis a weaker team.

This, much like PER, is a boring, pointless game without the adequate context layered in.

I think both of those teams would still be close to where they are now. New York would fall off the map with Noah and Portland would take a dive as well.

You are looking at these ratings in such a vaccum. And using that to push your point that Aldridge is a better fit on the Bulls than Noah is on the Bulls.

How exactly does Aldridge fit? Have you seen how much PnR we play? Or how little? Do you know that Aldridge has pretty much survived on the 2 point shot. And that he is a poor defender and with a Noah for Aldridge swap, we can kiss our defense goodbye.

Melo of course fits better on our roster ...but that has nothing to do with the ESPN rankings.

Noah is not untradeable (in terms of basketball), but there's very few players I would trade him for. Marc Gasol is an example.

Some of Rose's biggest passing games came playing in the 2 man game with 50 year Kurt Thomas. And no Aldridge is not a poor defender, where do you come up with that? With Gasol at the 5 and Aldridge at the 4 the defense would still survive
"My wrist deserve a shout-out, I'm like "What up, wrist?"/My stove deserve a shout-out, I'm like "What up, stove?""
musiqsoulchild
RealGM

Post#267 » by musiqsoulchild » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:17 pm

2Chainz wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:
2Chainz wrote:

Some of Rose's biggest passing games came playing in the 2 man game with 50 year Kurt Thomas. And no Aldridge is not a poor defender, where do you come up with that? With Gasol at the 5 and Aldridge at the 4 the defense would still survive

Where did I come up with Aldridge is a bad defender? I pulled it outta my ass.

50 year old Kurt Thomas is a pretty good comparison to Aldridge by the way. Except Kurt was a superb defender and rebounder as well.
For love, not money.
dice
RealGM

Post#268 » by dice » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:27 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:
2Chainz wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:

50 year old Kurt Thomas is a pretty good comparison to Aldridge by the way. Except Kurt was a superb defender and rebounder as well.

aldridge is not a bad defender. i don't think he ever was
musiqsoulchild
RealGM

Post#269 » by musiqsoulchild » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:31 pm

dice wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:
2Chainz wrote:

He is not...we are talking specifically about switching Noah for Aldridge. This is the premise brought up by 2Chains.

Which would be bad for our defense.
For love, not money.
2Chainz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,010

Post#270 » by 2Chainz » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:34 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:
dice wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:

He is not...we are talking specifically about switching Noah for Aldridge. This is the premise brought up by 2Chains.

But you explicitly said he was a poor defender. The increase in our offense would make up for whatever shortfall there is in the Bulls defense which Thibs would never let fall off. But you're right Aldridge is no better than 50 year old Kurt Thomas so carry on.
"My wrist deserve a shout-out, I'm like "What up, wrist?"/My stove deserve a shout-out, I'm like "What up, stove?""
Hans Embiid
Banned User
And1: 1,217

Post#271 » by Hans Embiid » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:37 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:By the way, congrats to Noah on being the highest rated Bull.

Really, we have 2 Top 15 players and the rest are all in the Top 70. Rose may have been #28, but his rating much like Wade's and Bosh's is deflated by prior years and usage.

We can't really rate Rose. The last time he played he was top 5.
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#272 » by Proven_Winner » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:40 pm

I don't get why some of you are so butthurt about these rankings. They don't even mean anything. It's just some people's opinion.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM

Post#273 » by musiqsoulchild » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:40 pm

2Chainz wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:
dice wrote:aldridge is not a bad defender. i don't think he ever was

But you explicitly said he was a poor defender. The increase in our offense would make up for whatever shortfall there is in the Bulls defense which Thibs would never let fall off. But you're right Aldridge is no better than 50 year old Kurt Thomas so carry on.

I explicitly say Tuna sandwich when I am in a Subway. I dont say that when I am in a CVS.

Context is everything.

The "50 year old Kurt Thomas" is your example of showing how a 2 man game with Rose might work. You used confirmation bias to take the one, lonely sample that works in Aldridges favor and ignored how we have large samples of Rose + Boozer and the 2 man game being non-existent.

I dont see the fit for Aldridge on this team. Infact, he would be better WITH Noah and not instead of Noah. In a swap like that, you have at once emasculated our defense AND limited Aldridges scoring prowess as a long 2 jump shooter.
For love, not money.
Drellberg
Pro Prospect
And1: 182

Post#274 » by Drellberg » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:54 pm

If we're using a rack and stack methodology to assess the odds of a title, the Spurs are in huge trouble ... They have one player at #15 (Parker), two more in the twenties (#21 Duncan and #24 KL) and then some huge drop-offs to #56, #87, and #87. I guess those guys should tank and go for the rebuild.

And last year's Heat must have been fantastically lucky even to make it through the first round of playoffs. That was barely 3 months ago. Aside from LBJ (#1), that team had only Bosh (#20) and then a big drop off to #36 (Wade) and ... Chalmers (#153), Anderson (#166) and then total cr*p.

If Rose surprises on the upside, so that the bulls have two top 15 players, then by this methodology no team coming out of the west has much of a chance. The bulls' only worry is the Cavs! The winner of that series can coast through the finals.
Drellberg
Pro Prospect
And1: 182

Post#275 » by Drellberg » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:00 pm

OK, when I say that the bulls can cost through the finals, I exaggerate. But truly, by rack and stack the bulls with a top 15 Rose are up there with any other team other than Cleveland.

Cavs: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank-cle-2014/

Spurs: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank-sas-2014/

Thunder: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank-okc-2014/

Rockets: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank-hou-2014/

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank-lac-2014/
musiqsoulchild
RealGM

Post#276 » by musiqsoulchild » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:01 pm

Drellberg wrote:If we're using a rack and stack methodology to assess the odds of a title, the Spurs are in huge trouble ... They have one player at #15 (Parker), two more in the twenties (#21 Duncan and #24 KL) and then some huge drop-offs to #56, #87, and #87. I guess those guys should tank and go for the rebuild.

And last year's Heat must have been fantastically lucky even to make it through the first round of playoffs. That was barely 3 months ago. Aside from LBJ (#1), that team had only Bosh (#20) and then a big drop off to #36 (Wade) and ... Chalmers (#153), Anderson (#166) and then total cr*p.

If Rose surprises on the upside, so that the bulls have two top 15 players, then by this methodology no team coming out of the west has much of a chance. The bulls' only worry is the Cavs! The winner of that series can coast through the finals.

QFT.

This is a team game. Interdependencies and interaction are so much more important than individual merits and demerits.
For love, not money.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#277 » by johnnyvann840 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:40 pm

dice wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:Crazy talk..

Noah is nowhere NEAR the player LaMarcus Aldridge is. Call me when Noah does this in a series vs a frontline anchored by Asik & Dwight Howard.

Game 1 in Houston—46 points, 18 rebounds and a two assists.
Game 2 in Houston—43 points, 8 rebounds and three blocks.
Game 3 in Portland—23 points, 10 rebounds, three assists
Game 4 in Portland—29 points, 10 rebounds, two assists and four blocks.

call me when lamarcus aldridge can do anything close to that on a consistent basis. he's another inefficient volume scorer

#4 in mvp voting. joakim noah. aldridge #10

the media's catching up to what makes a great basketball player faster than fans are. that's what this is

Despite those big games, Aldridge had a piss poor TS% in those same playoffs. He was just a black hole taking tons of shots at bad efficiency overall. Same with his career TS% and his career playoff TS%.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#278 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:48 pm

Proven_Winner wrote:I don't get why some of you are so butthurt about these rankings. They don't even mean anything. It's just some people's opinion.

Exactly - it's amusing reading these opinions on the rankings like they actual mean something of significance.

This is just a tool to generate buzz for the NBA leading up to the regular season, but at the end of the day it's utter nonsense and has absolutely no relevance of significance to anything.
Why so serious?
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,086

Post#279 » by NecessaryEvil » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:22 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:
dice wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:Crazy talk..

Noah is nowhere NEAR the player LaMarcus Aldridge is. Call me when Noah does this in a series vs a frontline anchored by Asik & Dwight Howard.

Game 1 in Houston—46 points, 18 rebounds and a two assists.
Game 2 in Houston—43 points, 8 rebounds and three blocks.
Game 3 in Portland—23 points, 10 rebounds, three assists
Game 4 in Portland—29 points, 10 rebounds, two assists and four blocks.

call me when lamarcus aldridge can do anything close to that on a consistent basis. he's another inefficient volume scorer

#4 in mvp voting. joakim noah. aldridge #10

the media's catching up to what makes a great basketball player faster than fans are. that's what this is

Despite those big games, Aldridge had a piss poor TS% in those same playoffs. He was just a black hole taking tons of shots at bad efficiency overall. Same with his career TS% and his career playoff TS%.

and yet they compete in a very difficult west while he leads his team with a young pg. Imagine if that PG were D-Rose. They'd be the legitimate favorite in the NBA.

I could care less what his TS% was. He absolutely DOMINATED the Houston Rockets and put up historic numbers in the process.

I'll take that black hole, put him next to D-Rose and be the favorite in the east every year. He'd be even more dangerous in this conference.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#280 » by johnnyvann840 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:49 am

NecessaryEvil wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:

and yet they compete in a very difficult west while he leads his team with a young pg. Imagine if that PG were D-Rose. They'd be the legitimate favorite in the NBA.

I could care less what his TS% was. He absolutely DOMINATED the Houston Rockets and put up historic numbers in the process.

I'll take that black hole, put him next to D-Rose and be the favorite in the east every year. He'd be even more dangerous in this conference.

That young PG is what made the Blazers competitive, not Aldridge. A guy like Aldridge would kill the Bulls. His high volume very low efficiency offense would be a drag on a slow paced low possession offense like the Bulls. He's exactly what we don't need. We need more efficient offense not more of less efficient offense. The way this team plays, every possession is so valuable and Aldridge wastes a ton of them without success.

What would you rather have for the playoffs...

a.) 21.3 pts 7.2 rebs, 2.8 blks. .561 FG%, .625 TS% , 26.5 PER, elite defense

or

b.) 23.5 pts, 9.6 rebs, 1.5 blks, .452 FG%,, .509 TS%, 21.0 PER, average defense
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson

Return to Chicago Bulls