Image ImageImage Image

The Derrick Rose Thread -MERGING

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

The Derrick Rose Thread -MERGING 

Post#1 » by Rerisen » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:29 am

This used to be a traditional yearly thread before Rose got hurt. Odd we don't have a thread now to discuss the most important factor in our season this year as we go along. But now we do!

I'm actually satisfied with where Derrick is at so far, he's ahead of my expectations after watching his struggles in FIBA. While his shot is not going in much, It's promising to see him attacking inside and making some of his old school bankers and creative paint type shots. Those were really missing last year at this time.

It doesn't look like we are going to have a 'broken' Rose at least to start the year, though he's still a ways off 100%. I'd say about 75 or 80.

Coming in to tonight's game, Derrick had a 23.5 PER and .552 TS in preseason. Better than many might guess just watching him. Fairly solid tonight as well though I'd like to see him create more early in the game.
dep026
Banned User
And1: 92

Re: The Derrick Rose Thread 

Post#2 » by dep026 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:31 am

If he can get to the line 7-8 times a game, I could care less about the 3 point shot. Him getting to the line is far more important than his 3.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,456

Post#3 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:33 am

He still doesnt look very fluid to me out there. Maybe our offense is too slow, but he just looks...off.
Tenchi Ryu
RealGM
And1: 6,426

Post#4 » by Tenchi Ryu » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:34 am

He looks athletically superior to anything he was in 2011 IMHO. But he just has to get that jumper cause he's not making those crazy awesome just made it layups he use to.
[x] Fire Thibs
[x] Fire Kirk
[x] Fire Noah
[x] Fire GarPax
aaqubed
RealGM
And1: 830

Post#5 » by aaqubed » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:38 am

He looks fine. He might not look great at the beginning of the regular season when the defensive intensity ratchets up a bit, but he's playing a more under control game than last year. He's not just putting his head down and crashing into the lane every single time like he did last year in the preseason, he's moving the ball, making the right play and attacking when he has the opportunity. If he keeps that going in the regular season, he should be fine.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#6 » by DanTown8587 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:38 am

The thing I want to remind people is that last year Derrick had a crazy FT rate (12.2 per 36) and then that number dropped to 3.7 per 36 because he played better defenses, played against better talent, and refs were going to let more go.

This pre-season Derrick is averaging 9.0 FTA per 36 and that number will surely drop too. I'm not going to judge Derrick and how close he is until the curtain comes up on the season, we just have seen him look not bad in pre-season and then the season starts and...blah.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#7 » by madvillian » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:39 am

Tonight was a good solid step forward. He finished what, around 30 minutes? and for the most part they were well measured minutes. His three point shot still looks off balance but the mid range stuff and vision (drive and kick, drive and lay off) is starting to return with the bigs.

Tmr is a big test back to back. FIBA had 4 in 5 but not with NBA minutes.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Chowda
Junior
And1: 156

The Derrick Rose Thread 

Post#8 » by Chowda » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:39 am

He seems far more relaxed than he was this time last year, when he was barreling into the lane trying to script the greatest comeback of all time. I like it. He even made a midrange jumper!!!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#9 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:41 am

The biggest difference from last year to this year, even in the pre-season is that Derrick isn't forcing anything. I think he's playing closer to that early 2012 lockout Derrick where he was picking spots and doing a better job of getting his teammates involved. He's still far away from being back to his normal self, but hopefully he can keep it up for the regular season while he's still knocking off some of that rust.

And he needs to go back to that midrange shot a bit more. I don't mind if he takes 2-3 three's a game, but he shouldn't over do it. Tonight, even though he missed them, I didn't really have a problem with the 3's he took because they were all in flow of the offense.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#10 » by madvillian » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:42 am

Chowda wrote:He seems far more relaxed than he was this time last year, when he was barreling into the lane trying to script the greatest comeback of all time. I like it. He even made a midrange jumper!!!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Certainly he seems more...measured. I think that's good.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Swarles Xavier
Senior
And1: 248

Post#11 » by Swarles Xavier » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:42 am

What I liked about the last game was that he took it upon himself to close the game. He made plays and got to the line often late and delivered. I think he's still picking his spots early and just letting the team offense develop more since it's the preseason.
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Post#12 » by GetBuLLish » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:43 am

Rose is still a ways off from top form. Fortunately he looks great physically and is moving around very well. Tonight he seemed to be much more in control, more assertive, more precise with his decision making, and used a wider array of moves than simply bumrushing the basket.

My biggest concern right now is his jumper. And the problem with his jumper is completely confined to his lower body mechanics. When he shoots pull jumpers (i.e. off the dribble) he is almost always leaning one way or the other when he jumps instead of balancing himself and jumping up straight. And when he shoots spotting up, he's able to jump with proper balance but he jumps way too high.

I thought his jumper was supposed to be even better than before after his injury, but it's not. I really wonder if anyone is pointing this out to him. At least one person has to be, right? I'd hope so but the problem keeps continuing. And if no one is pointing this issue out to him, that says more about the team's coaching than it does Rose.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,454

Post#13 » by Mk0 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:48 am

Agreed on the "just looks off" assessment. He really needs to go back to that money mid range jumper. His 3 is one of the ugliest shots I can think of. I have no clue why he is doing that lean in but it needs to end.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#14 » by DanTown8587 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:49 am

GetBuLLish wrote:Rose is still a ways off from top form. Fortunately he looks great physically and is moving around very well. Tonight he seemed to be much more in control, more assertive, more precise with his decision making, and used a wider array of moves than simply bumrushing the basket.

My biggest concern right now is his jumper. And the problem with his jumper is completely confined to his lower body mechanics. When he shoots pull jumpers (i.e. off the dribble) he is almost always leaning one way or the other when he jumps instead of balancing himself and jumping up straight. And when he shoots spotting up, he's able to jump with proper balance but he jumps way too high.

I thought his jumper was supposed to be even better than before after his injury, but it's not. I really wonder if anyone is pointing this out to him. At least one person has to be, right? I'd hope so but the problem keeps continuing. And if no one is pointing this issue out to him, that says more about the team's coaching than it does Rose.

I think Derrick has taken so many shots in a gym that he's not used to shooting in games yet. I fully expect that as the year progresses and Derrick gets used to playing in games again and not just shooting stationary shots that he'll make more.

But he's going to have a rough November and probably into December.
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,104

Post#15 » by cool007 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:52 am

Rerisen wrote:This used to be a traditional yearly thread before Rose got hurt. Odd we don't have a thread now to discuss the most important factor in our season this year as we go along. But now we do!

I'm actually satisfied with where Derrick is at so far, he's ahead of my expectations after watching his struggles in FIBA. While his shot is not going in much, It's promising to see him attacking inside and making some of his old school bankers and creative paint type shots. Those were really missing last year at this time.

It doesn't look like we are going to have a 'broken' Rose at least to start the year, though he's still a ways off 100%. I'd say about 75 or 80.

Coming in to tonight's game, Derrick had a 23.5 PER and .552 TS in preseason. Better than many might guess just watching him. Fairly solid tonight as well though I'd like to see him create more early in the game.

I actually think he is taking it way too easy in this year's preseason compared to last year.

He might also be not wanting to show a lot of stuff early and just not get injured (even if it's nagging small injuries like Butler). He probably will go in a unicorn mode in the regular season and be more aggressive.

I really liked what I saw from him in the 4th qtr. The bad thing is that every time he passes, people keep missing shots - even then I like him doing just that. It will eventually fall and will help develop big time chemistry once players start getting used to Rose's passes.

IMO, as long as Rose doesn't get injured I think he will be atleast 90% of himself by end of first month (November). Hoping he gets to 100% by early 2015.
juju14
Pro Prospect
And1: 389

Post#16 » by juju14 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:53 am

He needs to work on his Damn midrange shot. He been getting by in the preseason, but needs a consistent jumper. Rose is known for his work ethic, but it seems he his mechanics is messed up.
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Post#17 » by GetBuLLish » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:01 am

DanTown8587 wrote:I think Derrick has taken so many shots in a gym that he's not used to shooting in games yet. I fully expect that as the year progresses and Derrick gets used to playing in games again and not just shooting stationary shots that he'll make more.

But he's going to have a rough November and probably into December.

As far as pull-up jumpers are concerned, I agree with you.

But that wouldn't seem to apply to his spot up jumpers. Those shots should feel just like he's shooting the ball at the gym. It seems like it's a conscious and purposeful effort on his part to jump higher on his jumper. And it's completely idiotic. I'm nervous this is his actual jumper form and that no one is telling him to correct it. He used to be a very good spot up jumper. In fact, I always believed he was our 2nd best spot up 3 point shooter after Korver. But for some reason, he seems to have made a deliberate change to his shooting mechanics.

Again, the good thing is that this is all lower body related. I just really hope someone is pointing this out to him. It's very, very obvious and is seemingly easily correctable.
DaGreatLewdini
Pro Prospect
And1: 325
Location: From Chicago to Champaign, but still a South Side kid!

Post#18 » by DaGreatLewdini » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:11 am

As of 10/19/14 I'm content with were Derrick is at in his progression to becoming better. He looks fine athletically, maybe even better than before. His basketball skills are still not 100% back, but I have faith that they will be in due time.
Image Image
chifan1798
RealGM
And1: 2,883

Post#19 » by chifan1798 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:17 am

At this point, I just want him to play for an entire season, plus the entire playoffs, give or take a handful of games in the regular season for minor stuff. How well he plays will be a bonus to him actually staying on the court.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#20 » by kyrv » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:22 am

Mk0 wrote:Agreed on the "just looks off" assessment. He really needs to go back to that money mid range jumper. His 3 is one of the ugliest shots I can think of. I have no clue why he is doing that lean in but it needs to end.

We had a long thread about his 3s v 2s. His midrange game really seemed to suffer like you said.

Does make sense to work on closer shots first and then extend range as appropriate.

---

Good thread. I was just lamenting Brooks v Snell and if Rose isn't good, doesn't matter a ton.

Return to Chicago Bulls