Image ImageImage Image

PG: Hobbled, our favorite word

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

aaqubed
RealGM
And1: 830

Re: PG: Hobbled, our favorite word 

Post#181 » by aaqubed » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:28 pm

Jax Teller wrote:Just a few games ago most people were singing Brooks praises. Even had a thread started because of it. A few games later he sucks and should be benched. Brooks has been awesome this year but is not going to be effective starting as our PG on the road in difficult arenas against good teams. He is a great player for the role he is supposed to be in, but when the two PG ahead of him are injury prone he is forced into a role he will not succeed in.

Yeah this board is crazy fickle. Brooks is a great scoring guard to have off the bench. He's not someone we want to have to go up against guys like Lillard, CP3, Westbrook, Wall, etc. on a nightly basis. I'm pretty sure most teams' 3rd string PGs would struggle against those guys.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#182 » by MrSparkle » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:39 pm

He's good to have... I like Brooks, I'm really glad we have a good 3rd option...

But fact is, his defense is awwwwwful!

Even worse is the fact he runs with Mirotic and McDermott. Probably not a good idea. I thought they can be a sharp-shooting super-offense bench mob, but not sure Brooks is talented enough a passer to make that happen.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#183 » by Mech Engineer » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:50 pm

Brooks can learn from Moore. Moore didn't shoot unless he was wide open. That said, Moore was playing more like the FIBA Derrick...just giving up the ball. But, he was definitely not chucking like Brooks.

This is what I expected if Derrick was in and out of the lineup. Kirk cannot play that extra minutes and be healthy.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#184 » by TimRobbins » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:18 pm

aaqubed wrote:Yeah this board is crazy fickle. Brooks is a great scoring guard to have off the bench. He's not someone we want to have to go up against guys like Lillard, CP3, Westbrook, Wall, etc. on a nightly basis. I'm pretty sure most teams' 3rd string PGs would struggle against those guys.

Brooks is simply not as good as the last two guys we had on the vet min here. That's his main problem. As a 3rd string PG, he's way above average.
Jello Biafra
Analyst
And1: 348

Post#185 » by Jello Biafra » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:18 pm

Indomitable wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:
PowerGasol wrote:Hi from Spain

I told yours, Nikola is more NBA ready than you could think. He is not going to be the next Nowitzky, sorry, not at all. But he can score and help the team with his clarividence. He has competed in one of the best teams in Europe, with Real Madrid(some team where is playing Cristiano Ronaldo, you Know?) in the Basketball section . Twice a finalist in Europe, and twice finalist in the Spanish league in the last two years. He played for four years at one of the best teams in Europe, with more pressure. Professional for the last five years, he has been playing last season more than 90 games. Sorry but is not the same level as playing in the university. For this reason he is more ready to handle the preasure and get them, he is a good teamate, is a scorer but not selfish.

In my opinion, again: he should play, more or less, but not five minutes, even with Pau and Taj healthy he should play.

On the other hand, talking about Pau: if you do not watch his minutes on the court, Pau is going to be hurt again, he can not play 40 minutes, its very simple, it is better to play less, even though it may lose some games. It is preferable to keep him in good condition , eventually it's best option. What matters is the playoffs , get healthy, strong and playing as a team. If this is not understood Bulls have no chance of ring. Same with Rose.

We can see he is not Nowitzki. Although they are both ugly as hell, Niko is way more athletic. By the way, if I was a Spaniard, I wouldn't claim Niko. Most Spanish athletes are relatively good looking. Not that all Slavs are ugly but my god Niko, ditch the beard and get your teeth fixed. I think the Bulls would win more games if Niko, Snell and Bairstow were on the floor together, especially if Snell grew back the corn rows, as their combined ugliness would scare and distract opposing teams into submission.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

What. You're a fan of the neckbeard? Snell's corn rows? Maybe Pocahontas' headband.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#186 » by Indomitable » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:37 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:
Indomitable wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:
We can see he is not Nowitzki. Although they are both ugly as hell, Niko is way more athletic. By the way, if I was a Spaniard, I wouldn't claim Niko. Most Spanish athletes are relatively good looking. Not that all Slavs are ugly but my god Niko, ditch the beard and get your teeth fixed. I think the Bulls would win more games if Niko, Snell and Bairstow were on the floor together, especially if Snell grew back the corn rows, as their combined ugliness would scare and distract opposing teams into submission.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

What. You're a fan of the neckbeard? Snell's corn rows? Maybe Pocahontas' headband.

:banghead:
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#187 » by RememberLu » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:41 pm

The bench's 3pt shooting got us back into the game, then the starters came in and something awful happened

I blame yesterday on our leaders who didn't lead. Jo and Taj set the tone for the awful night with the brick fest in the 1st quarter.
DRoseCantStop
RealGM
And1: 3,371

Post#188 » by DRoseCantStop » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:43 pm

Noah needs to get his head in the game. The entire starting line-up needs to.

Butler.....what the hell?
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#189 » by MrSparkle » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:48 pm

Mirotic is literally the PF version of Ginobili. He's got a seemingly spastic style, yet very coordinated and in-control. People are ragging on the pump-fake, but I like it; it's part of his game. He's not a Matt Bonner; this is a guy who's potentially gonna be an unstoppable inside-out threat. You expect the pump-fake and give him space? He'll shoot. You bite, he'll drive past you and draw 2 FTs or score. Even better is the fact that his passing/court-vision is really advanced. He finds distant, wide-open guys I'm not even expecting to get the ball.

IMO the travel calls are a bit BS, but maybe it is something he can still improve by watching tape. Of course as his NBA experience and reputation builds, refs will probably let the move happen (like the crab step, and every other star's lenient no-call travels).

Definitely the best draft pick since Rose. Jimmy is solid obviously as well, but it's just so rare we draft an offensive stud. It's so rare that I'm almost confused whether this is really happening. Somebody wake me up; did we actually draft a player capable of scoring the ball with a defender actively guarding him? :lol:

Sure, there was BG, but he'd dribble the ball off his feet and fall into their streaky shooting slumps before catching fire (not to mention defensive liability). Deng seemed to start great (catching alley-oops, money mid-range, strong finisher), but then hit a plateau as his dribbling and shooting clearly stood pat. Rose was the first player since Jordan that I'd watch and be like, "Wow, he makes scoring in the NBA look easy. Like all those west coast teams."

I bet Nikola's gonna have a 3 points and 6 fouls in 25 minutes the next game due to my optimistic rant... :-? BUT hey, bring it on. I feel better betting on his future than i have about our other guys. THe assuring thing is he seems very confident and comfortable taking risks -- I'd call them good risks. Not the assuring part with Doug (and Snell).
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,104

Post#190 » by cool007 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:55 pm

I am loving this (not really) ass kicking defeat - 2 games in a row loss.

This should fire a light under everyone's ass. Sometime you need this adversity and fire to get back to what you do best and that is to play suffocating defense. We have been sucking at that end and when teams shoot lights out that affects our psyche and just never get the rhythm.

Hopefully Rose is back next game and Bulls get back to their winning ways.

1 more thing I want t point out is that this team is not taking the regular season games any serious unlike previous years. This year they just want to get his regular season games under their belt as fast as they can. They know it's all about the playoffs. they will get up to big games however. Like Clippers/Cavs/Raptors etc.

Let's just get Rose back and hope they he doesn't get hurt/injured the rest of the season.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#191 » by DanTown8587 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:16 pm

This is going to sound like a crazy point but if Mirotic shows this type of game on a very consistent basis for a prolonged stretch of time, the Bulls can't justify keeping him, Gasol, Gibson, and Noah while their backcourt is in shambles. We're a month away from having the discussion but it's something to look at (especially to see how the team/defense performs the next stretch without Taj).
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,484

Post#192 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:24 pm

Butler shoulder is not right

He should really sit too
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,452

Post#193 » by samwana » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:29 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:This is going to sound like a crazy point but if Mirotic shows this type of game on a very consistent basis for a prolonged stretch of time, the Bulls can't justify keeping him, Gasol, Gibson, and Noah while their backcourt is in shambles. We're a month away from having the discussion but it's something to look at (especially to see how the team/defense performs the next stretch without Taj).

There would be an out-option though, just try the big line-up.
Rose
Butler
Mirotic
Gasol
Noah/Gibson

I know Thibs isn't a fan, but hey it would be a fun option. Mirotic's skillset isn't that far away from being a SF
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#194 » by DanTown8587 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:38 pm

samwana wrote:
DanTown8587 wrote:This is going to sound like a crazy point but if Mirotic shows this type of game on a very consistent basis for a prolonged stretch of time, the Bulls can't justify keeping him, Gasol, Gibson, and Noah while their backcourt is in shambles. We're a month away from having the discussion but it's something to look at (especially to see how the team/defense performs the next stretch without Taj).

Rose
Butler
Mirotic
Gasol
Noah/Gibson

I know Thibs isn't a fan, but hey it would be a fun option. Mirotic's skillset isn't that far away from being a SF

You don't want teams to guard Mirotic with SF because when he sets picks, teams are going to switch with a SF but a PF they aren't going to switch. Also, Mirotic at the 4 means he can drive around his man much easier than he can a SF.

And this doesn't even get into the question about how poor defensively Mirotic at the 3 is. If the playoffs were tomorrow and the team was fully healthy and McDermott was not ready then MAYBE I'd give him minutes there but he wouldn't be a first or second option there.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,452

Post#195 » by samwana » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:46 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:
samwana wrote:

Rose
Butler
Mirotic
Gasol
Noah/Gibson

You don't want teams to guard Mirotic with SF because when he sets picks, teams are going to switch with a SF but a PF they aren't going to switch. Also, Mirotic at the 4 means he can drive around his man much easier than he can a SF.

And this doesn't even get into the question about how poor defensively Mirotic at the 3 is. If the playoffs were tomorrow and the team was fully healthy and McDermott was not ready then MAYBE I'd give him minutes there but he wouldn't be a first or second option there.

Just trying it out wouldn't do any harm though would it. Use it here and there and see how it works.
pb-ceo
Analyst

Post#196 » by pb-ceo » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:51 pm

DRoseIsNotNice wrote:Noah needs to get his head in the game. The entire starting line-up needs to.

Butler.....what the hell?

naah he just needs to have his head in the game come playoff time. (green)
pb-ceo
Analyst

Post#197 » by pb-ceo » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:53 pm

cool007 wrote:I am loving this (not really) ass kicking defeat - 2 games in a row loss.

This should fire a light under everyone's ass. Sometime you need this adversity and fire to get back to what you do best and that is to play suffocating defense. We have been sucking at that end and when teams shoot lights out that affects our psyche and just never get the rhythm.

Hopefully Rose is back next game and Bulls get back to their winning ways.

1 more thing I want t point out is that this team is not taking the regular season games any serious unlike previous years. This year they just want to get his regular season games under their belt as fast as they can. They know it's all about the playoffs. they will get up to big games however. Like Clippers/Cavs/Raptors etc.

Let's just get Rose back and hope they he doesn't get hurt/injured the rest of the season.

sam smith said he's about 99% out for UTA. it's 1st of a back to back, and well, that's a little much right now apparently.
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#198 » by RememberLu » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:59 pm

how many ridiculous back to back road games do we have this season? Is the NBA kidding with this scheduling?
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#199 » by madvillian » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:37 pm

People ripping him for pump faking don't understand basketball. The pump fake is one of the most effective moves you can make -- if you can put the ball on the floor, and Mirotic can. It's very, very hard to consciously remind yourself in the heat of play to stay down on his pump fakes.

Wade has been pump faking his way to 8 FTs a game for the better part of a decade, you think guys aren't told to look for his pump fakes?
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Post#200 » by sco » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:55 pm

A few points:

1) I go back and forth on this because it hurts rook development to switch positions, but Nicola IMO can definitely play SF and give Jimmy a break in a Brooks, Kirk, Niko, Taj, Noah/Pau type line-up (when guys are healthy).

2) Short of that, I really think moving Niko to start alongside Noah with Rose, Jimmy and MDJ has tons of possibilities. That foursome could cover Niko's defensive weakness. Also, having line-up of Kirk, Snell, Doug, Taj, Pau would stop those big runs teams are getting on us.

3) I'd like to see more Moore. I liked him in Orlando. He has NBA skill and can bring some better stability to certain been line-ups. Not a fan of Snell, Doug and Niko together.
:clap:

Return to Chicago Bulls