Image ImageImage Image

What's Going On With Tony Snell?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Re: What's Going On With Tony Snell? 

Post#21 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:44 am

StJoesBasketball22 wrote:Trade him while we can. Sucks to say, but he's just not showing any sings of becoming what we wanted him to be.

Trade him for what exactly? Which stupid team is going to give up valuable assets for Tony when he is playing the way he is playing now? If we can get someone to give up some sort of decent asset for him, then yeah, go for it, but I doubt that is likely to happen.

What we need for him to do is to start playing well, string together a few good games and THEN to look to trade him, not to trade him at his lowest point.
Why so serious?
Toulouse
Junior
And1: 116

Post#22 » by Toulouse » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:50 am

To me, he still looks lost out there. Like he's not sure where he's supposed to be. He's pretty useless out there most of the times. He made a couple nice shots tonight, which did surprise me. But he negates it by dumb and crazy fouls that leads to points on the other end. I don't have hope for him, but I will root for him to get his stuff together.

Dougie looks really bad too. They're on equal footing. The things is, McD's only played a handful of games. But I'm not too sure he's going to pan out either.

The bench scares me so far. Except for Nikola, who looks like he's learning fast.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#23 » by musiqsoulchild » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:54 am

Toulouse wrote:To me, he still looks lost out there. Like he's not sure where he's supposed to be. He's pretty useless out there most of the times. He made a couple nice shots tonight, which did surprise me. But he negates it by dumb and crazy fouls that leads to points on the other end. I don't have hope for him, but I will root for him to get his stuff together.

Dougie looks really bad too. They're on equal footing. The things is, McD's only played a handful of games. But I'm not too sure he's going to pan out either.

The bench scares me so far. Except for Nikola, who looks like he's learning fast.

I think we can get by with a bench unit of:

Brooks
Kirk
Doug /Snell
Mirotic
Taj

But like you said, sure as hell would be nice if Tony and Doug started showing an upward trend....ESPECIALLY Snell.
For love, not money.
Bandit King
Analyst
And1: 1,145

Post#24 » by Bandit King » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:11 am

Nothing is going on he just isn't that good.
Chicago Bulls Basketball - The Continuity
ralphisBullsFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 430

Post#25 » by ralphisBullsFan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:19 am

dougie and snell might both turn out to be busts i wonder what type of player we could get for them as a package...for a wing scorer with an expiring contract....
gstephanopulos
Sixth Man
And1: 823

Post#26 » by gstephanopulos » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:58 am

Everytime you have player picked with 19th pick and have board therads saying that he's new Scottie Pippen it's almost sure that you're going to be dissapionted.
stepbackjftw
Pro Prospect
And1: 590

Post#27 » by stepbackjftw » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:15 am

Same twig from last year. He didn't even bother to put on weight.

I think he's just happy getting those million $$ checks from the nba
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Post#28 » by pylb » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:30 am

gstephanopulos wrote:Everytime you have player picked with 19th pick and have board therads saying that he's new Scottie Pippen it's almost sure that you're going to be dissapionted.

*20th pick in a weak draft.

I really hope he improves. Don't have a whole lot of hope left.
gstephanopulos
Sixth Man
And1: 823

Post#29 » by gstephanopulos » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:42 am

pylb wrote:
gstephanopulos wrote:Everytime you have player picked with 19th pick and have board therads saying that he's new Scottie Pippen it's almost sure that you're going to be dissapionted.

*20th pick in a weak draft.

I really hope he improves. Don't have a whole lot of hope left.

I do too.

He's probably working hard and being involved in this team opposite to Teague. He did have great Summer League but his shot has been off since then. Maybe he was hitting gym too hard and that's why he's lost touch. I don't now. Also you don't see him running pick and roll this year while last year we did have some plays with him and Taj rolling off screens and he was decent at those. It probably because we have a lot more ball handlers than we had last year.
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,611

Post#30 » by jacoby1us » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:43 am

Can we send him to the D-League?
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#31 » by GimmeDat » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:20 am

jacoby1us wrote:Can we send him to the D-League?

Thibs doesn't do that, but I think we need him anyway. He's better than some scrub wing off the FA pool, and we're not deep on the wings whatsoever, especially when Doug isn't performing.

Jimmy's going to get ground down with minutes if we don't put Tony or Doug out there at some point. They may be a bit of a liability, but for a small amount of minutes, it's better to give Jimmy that 5-10 minutes of rest.
kuly1990
Veteran
And1: 441

Post#32 » by kuly1990 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:56 am

Well Thibs played him a lot today, he could have played Doug or Dunleavy instead of him, Dunleavy used to play 40 minutes last year, so its not like he had to play, Thibs has some trust in him, as for the game, its always the same, decent defense but sometimes gets lost, and offense he is indecided on what to do, i hope he figures it out, those trade him ideas are stupid...
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Post#33 » by coldfish » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:25 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:Can we send him to the D-League?

Thibs doesn't do that, but I think we need him anyway. He's better than some scrub wing off the FA pool, and we're not deep on the wings whatsoever, especially when Doug isn't performing.

Jimmy's going to get ground down with minutes if we don't put Tony or Doug out there at some point. They may be a bit of a liability, but for a small amount of minutes, it's better to give Jimmy that 5-10 minutes of rest.

As I noted in the game thread, the Bulls are routinely losing a point a minute when McDermott and/or Snell are on the court. It also reverses game momentum and starts runs for the other team. An extra 5 or 10 minutes is going to give the opposing teams an extra 5 to 10 points. That is going to lose the Bulls most of the games they play.

Our hope for Jimmy playing less revolve around Derrick, Brooks and Hinrich being healthy so that Hinrich can play the 2.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,599

Post#34 » by Ice Man » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Tony is Tony. His upside is being an OK 8th man. He has not reached that upside yet.

On a side note, if I had a dollar for every time I heard Stacey tell us last year how good it was that Tony got extended minutes and how it will pay off for the Bulls in the future and all Tony needs is confidence -- just as all Marquis needed is confidence -- then I would have enouh dollars to buy out Stacey's contract and replace him with the Aflac duck.

Stacey makes fans dumb. Do not listen to Stacey.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,918

Post#35 » by RSP83 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:39 pm

He has the tools, but just doesn't have 'It' to become a good NBA level pro. Until he figure it out he'll remain an 11th/12th man. But he's actually a good roster filler. He can give you a solid 5-10 minutes at 2/3.

At this point, I'm quiet certain he will never reach his potential. He's a good example work ethic alone isn't enough to develop into a good NBA level pro.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#36 » by Indomitable » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:52 pm

I think Snell is more likely to help right now then Dougie. The Bulls need a backup sf/sg.
:banghead:
Indomitable
RealGM

Post#37 » by Indomitable » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:53 pm

Ice Man wrote:Tony is Tony. His upside is being an OK 8th man. He has not reached that upside yet.

On a side note, if I had a dollar for every time I heard Stacey tell us last year how good it was that Tony got extended minutes and how it will pay off for the Bulls in the future and all Tony needs is confidence -- just as all Marquis needed is confidence -- then I would have enouh dollars to buy out Stacey's contract and replace him with the Aflac duck.

Stacey makes fans dumb. Do not listen to Stacey.

Tony>Teague. Teague was just godawful. He is nothing like his brother unfortunately.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#38 » by MGB8 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:54 pm

You guys are being too quick to jump on Tony. Think back to James Johnson. He had no clue what he was doing on offense or defense, but brought a ton of energy and overall talent.

Johnson still doesn't have a great basketball IQ, but year by year it has improved. Gerald Green was similar in his very slow development of passable basketball IQ. Evan Turner still is sloppy on both sides of the ball.

Snell doesn't have the same sort of energy as Johnson, but he's further along than Johnson was at this point in terms of basketball IQ.... which doesn't mean that he's where he should be, just further along.

He gets lost on defense, but on offense, while not aggressive enough, he's generally in the right place at the right time, and makes fairly good, if overly cautious, decisions.

The Jimmy Butler glare is a good thing. Some guys need to be ridden a little to learn. And sometimes the best people to ride a player are teammates. If Snell wants to learn and wants to contribute, which I think is more likely than not, then having his teammates push him will help him improve more quickly.

Honestly, we'll know by the end of this season. But right now I am cautiously optimistic, and think that by that time he'll be a useful rotation wing.

That said, that's why I want to trade the Sacramento pick for a combo guard or wing who can help the Bulls win right now, particularly with respect to defense. A Corey Brewer, for instance.
Indomitable
RealGM

Post#39 » by Indomitable » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:04 pm

MGB8 wrote:You guys are being too quick to jump on Tony. Think back to James Johnson. He had no clue what he was doing on offense or defense, but brought a ton of energy and overall talent.

Johnson still doesn't have a great basketball IQ, but year by year it has improved. Gerald Green was similar in his very slow development of passable basketball IQ. Evan Turner still is sloppy on both sides of the ball.

Snell doesn't have the same sort of energy as Johnson, but he's further along than Johnson was at this point in terms of basketball IQ.... which doesn't mean that he's where he should be, just further along.

He gets lost on defense, but on offense, while not aggressive enough, he's generally in the right place at the right time, and makes fairly good, if overly cautious, decisions.

The Jimmy Butler glare is a good thing. Some guys need to be ridden a little to learn. And sometimes the best people to ride a player are teammates. If Snell wants to learn and wants to contribute, which I think is more likely than not, then having his teammates push him will help him improve more quickly.

Honestly, we'll know by the end of this season. But right now I am cautiously optimistic, and think that by that time he'll be a useful rotation wing.

That said, that's why I want to trade the Sacramento pick for a combo guard or wing who can help the Bulls win right now, particularly with respect to defense. A Corey Brewer, for instance.

Tony is easy to pick on. He is weird looking and kind of awkward.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,599

Post#40 » by Ice Man » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:05 pm

Indomitable wrote:Tony>Teague.

So is Jimmer, but he doesn't belong in a title rotation either.

Return to Chicago Bulls