Image ImageImage Image

PG: Road Warriors

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Re: PG: Road Warriors 

Post#421 » by Rerisen » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:40 pm

Jax Teller wrote:Yep, it is complicated. They do need to unload one of the bigs at some point. It may not happen this year but it has to at some point, you cannot divide 96 minutes among 4 top quality bigs for years. These guys each deserve 30 plus minutes with their skill level. Its not fair to them. And when you factor in our weakness at the 3 it only makes sense to trade one of them for a quality SF. But your probably right, the FO struggles to pull the trigger on trades and they love Taj. It will be ridiculous if we keep these 4 bigs too long.

FO is also setting up Thibs to be horribly second guessed in the playoffs every loss. "Why didn't you play Niko | Taj | Noah | Gasol, more."
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#422 » by Rerisen » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:41 pm

unknownnewbie wrote:That's obviously the best defensive lineup. But Mirotic is the only real perimeter threat in that lineup. Would that be a problem in terms of spacing, do you think?

By that measure our starting lineup only has one perimeter threat too.

But I consider Butler to be respectable / average shooter at this point. That's where his numbers are.
NDave79
Sixth Man
And1: 1,348

Post#423 » by NDave79 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:59 pm

Just enjoyed reading some Sam Smith articles on Bulls.com. I realize he is basically a Bulls employee at this point, but I see more in-depth quotes from Thibs and Bulls players from his articles than anywhere else. Just wanted to share in case anyone else might enjoy reading them.

Bulls Grizzlies recap

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/bulls-grind-out-big-victory-memphis

Noah endorses the 2011 draft

“Jimmy has been unreal for us this year,” said Joakim Noah of Butler’s 31 points and 10 rebounds Friday in the Bulls 103-97 victory over the now 21-5 Memphis Grizzlies. “I don’t even know what to say. I remember him working out in the summertime and shooting shots off one foot. And I was like, ‘Jimmy, what are you doing? You’re not going to shoot shots off one foot.’ He’s shooting shots off one foot against the No. 1 team in the NBA in the fourth quarter with the game on the line.

“Niko (Mirotic with a career high 27 points and six of six threes) stepped up huge for us,” added Noah, who had 10 points, 13 rebounds, two late pressure free throws and pronounced himself the healthiest he’s been this season. “He’s just such a different weapon with his ability to spread the floor. He’s an excellent rebounder. And he’s really starting to get that defensive system down. A lot of time with shooters, they’re one dimensional. I think this guy is the real deal. And I think he’s getting better every game. He just adds a whole different dimension with his three-point shooting, his ability in the pick-and-roll, his passing. I think defensively he’s going to get better and better. He’s a deceptive rebounder. Tips it to himself and (stuff). The sky is the limit for him.”

Nice Gasol bros story - gives some interesting background info on their lives

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/gasol-matchup-one-mutual-admiration

Bulls Knicks recap

http://www.nba.com/bulls/butlers-career-high-carries-bulls

“You can’t say enough about it him,” said Thibodeau in his usual preface for Butler. “He takes big shots, plays defense, gets to the line. He makes plays, plays unselfishly, plays hard, doesn’t not take any possessions off. Just having a phenomenal year. My thing to him is why put a lid on it? Where can it go; I don’t know? All I know is it keeps going up. That is how I want him to approach it. He brings great concentration and great effort every day. You bring those things, couple that with his talent, great things are going to happen and he’s showing that. The best leadership you can have is by doing all the right things. You can’t put any more into than he’s putting into it now. When you look at our season with Joakim being out for a good chunk of it, Taj being out for a good chunk of it, Derrick being out for a good chunk of it, thankfully he’s played that way; same with Pau. That’s really carried us. And Aaron Brooks and Niko off the bench have been a huge bonus for us.

“Jimmy is very versatile,” noted Thibodeau. “He’s a power guard; he can go off the dribble, post him, pick and roll with him, catch and shoot with him. He’s real smart. You can run offense with him; he can handle the ball. There’s not much he can’t do and defensively he is great. He’s as good as it gets in this league. I leave anything out?”

I wouldn't want to see what Thibs might do to Gar if they don't resign Jimmy.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,841

Post#424 » by AirP. » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:29 am

unknownnewbie wrote:I can definitely see the system that they play in affecting their PPG or APG. But the system a team plays shouldn't significantly affect the individual shooting percentages. So I doubt that the system is the reason why Augustin and Robinson are not shooting the ball well this season.

It absolutely effects their shooting percentage, maybe not open shots but the other types of shots they get. There are better shots for players to take, the PG has a lot more leeway in Chicago than elsewhere so they can pick their better shots.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,841

Post#425 » by AirP. » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:31 am

pb-ceo wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:I read this post and all I can say is wow. This line of thinking is so flawed it's not even funny. First off, you can't just assume that we'd have won those games had Rose not played. Especially when you consider that his backup was the primary cause of us losing one of the games that you called out.

Furthermore, Rose has done things that have either won us games or helped us close out games this year as well. How can you just discount that as if it's nothing? The bottom line is that he's had some pretty good games and he's had some pretty bad ones. The Golden State game sticks out in my mind as one that was particularly bad. But at the end of the day, we all had to expect that he would have some hurdles en route to regaining his form and that those hurdles could continue well into mid season. I just don't get your line of thinking at all.

My line of thinking is we have a selfish PG who continues to jack up 3s even though he's shooting them at a horrible clip. Usually PGs try to run the team, it's really sad that the drop off in team performance isn't that great by downgrading from D.Rose to Hinrich because we all know Hinrich shouldn't be starting for any team that isn't trying to tank.

yes it's amazing the kind of serviceable pg play we get from two guys who barely make over the minimum. I agree 100% and the proof will be how bucket's production drops off when we get the starting pg back in the lineup. our most efficient scorer becomes a role player who gets clean up buckets.

Kirk Hinrich is a decent backup defensive guard, the offense is catered towards offensive PGs, JL3, Nate, DJ and now Brooks were/are in a system that allowed them to use their talents but each had a huge drawback... their height and with that they're defense wasn't good.
pb-ceo
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#426 » by pb-ceo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:33 am

if nico could guard 3s he'd be doing it. if he could play the 3 he'd be doing it. he's not. thibs knows what players can do and can't do. he watches more film than anybody. he sees these guys in practice. we question why things aren't done. but we fail to consider the Obvious reason why things aren't done. there are no mysteries or secrets on the court.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#427 » by Stratmaster » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:36 am

pb-ceo wrote:if nico could guard 3s he'd be doing it. if he could play the 3 he'd be doing it. he's not. thibs knows what players can do and can't do. he watches more film than anybody. he sees these guys in practice. we question why things aren't done. but we fail to consider the Obvious reason why things aren't done. there are no mysteries or secrets on the court.

As badly as I want to see Niko get 20 mpg+ I agree.
BloodyQ
Starter
And1: 1,186

Post#428 » by BloodyQ » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:04 am

Jimmy Butler >>>>>> Loul Deng

And it's not even close.
consultant
Junior
And1: 75

Post#429 » by consultant » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:23 am

BloodyQ wrote:Jimmy Butler >>>>>> Loul Deng

And it's not even close.

Yeah, don't think Thibs is crying now.
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#430 » by RememberLu » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:23 am

BloodyQ wrote:Jimmy Butler >>>>>> Loul Deng

And it's not even close.

Luol Deng is a living saint and I'll not have his good name besmirched

:evil:
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#431 » by kyrv » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:22 am

Butler is the one who knocks.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#432 » by Indomitable » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:08 am

MrSparkle wrote:We do need a 3&D guy. I'm not high on trading Taj for one though. Too many injury issues. Our big men are a revolving rotation. Highly doubt all 4 are 100% in May. The only frustration would be if Taj/Noah play like hobbled garbage but Thibs still plays them 38+ mpg while icing Niko (playoffs).

Next summer, SAS has a lot of players to resign, including Leonard (possibly to max). I'd look at D. Green. At the end of the day, it's so much easier picking up a wing with the MLE than a Noah or Taj. Food for thought. I do expect Chicago to go into the luxury tax next year.

I like Jeff Taylor on the cheap
:banghead:
LoveDaBoo
RealGM
And1: 1,961

Post#433 » by LoveDaBoo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:25 am

coldfish wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:
I think they will. But Gibson will need to go in order to afford a Butler max

Wow, I didn't know that. I thought the increase in capspace would let us maintain our main guys

:(

The Bulls can keep their guys. They might have to pay tax for a year though. The year after that when the cap explodes it won't be an issue.

I kind of doubt they keep everyone for that long though.

I don't. No real reason not to. They might not keep Brooks though. Look for the next guy.
Step 1: instead of "ass" say "buns." Like "kiss my buns" or "you're a buns-hole."
Woj: The NBA's Dickie Dunn.
LoveDaBoo
RealGM
And1: 1,961

Post#434 » by LoveDaBoo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:29 am

NDave79 wrote:I was surprised and impressed that Thibs went to NIko in crunch time. Despite how well he shot, that shows a lot of confidence for Thibs in a rookie.

They couldn't even play Randolph because of Niko. He owned him so utterly on the offensive end, the Griz couldn't even put him in the game.
Step 1: instead of "ass" say "buns." Like "kiss my buns" or "you're a buns-hole."
Woj: The NBA's Dickie Dunn.

Return to Chicago Bulls