Image ImageImage Image

YOU get to play...welcome to Atlanta style basketball...

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

WhyNot?
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#1 » by WhyNot? » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:21 pm

The latest and seemingly most effective model for NBA teams (Spurs & Hawks) during the REGULAR SEASON is one that husbands have known all along: a happy wife equals a happy life. The same goes for a team's bench.

"Hey man, come to Atlanta, you ACTUALLY get to play..."

Qualifier: as long as you've got a solid/decent bench, spread that love out during a season for the love of G.

Here's the question: Will Thibs ever go to a bigger platoon system during the regular season when teams like the Hawks with fewer stars are KILLING IT? (Yes, of course regular season matters as well as tie breakers between teams) Or will Thibs always be Thibs during the regular season?

May the man upstairs bless you and our beloved Bulls. Discuss.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Re: YOU get to play...welcome to Atlanta style basketball... 

Post#2 » by Hangtime84 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:36 pm

WhyNot? wrote:
Here's the question: Will Thibs ever go to a bigger platoon system during the regular season when teams like the Hawks with fewer stars are KILLING IT?

He has tried this system for the past 3 years at the beginning of the season since 2012 FA. However, the 2nd unit was so horrible that it lead to Deng playing with majority of the minutes with them (Now Jimmy). Looking at his rotations that Thibs does during the beginning of the season he would like to play 9 to 10 guys 12 - 15 mins a game (low end).

Our wings Snell/McBuckets and Bigs Niko need to get better
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#3 » by Mech Engineer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:37 pm

I not so sure about the analogy. If I treat my wife as a coach treats his bench with limited participation, I will soon be at the end of the bench or out of the league. I better treat her as the main star getting high usage.

The Atlanta model will not work for every team because most teams do not have that kind of contunuity. They just added one or two new players as did the Spurs. The Bulls added 5 new players.
WhyNot?
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#4 » by WhyNot? » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:46 pm

I cannot disagree with previous posters. So what about this...

Part of me wishes that either Noah would "take one" for the team and say "Hey, I'm a true center, put me with the second unit and start Taj. That way I can bolster the second group."

OR

I wish Thibs had the foresight/guts to do it.

Envision this and let me know what you think:

STARTERS:

C:Pau Pau
PF: Taj
SF: Smell (not a mispell)
SG: Buckets
PG: MVP with poor dribbling

IMO that's plenty of scoring in the first unit with probably some of our best individual defenders:

NOW THE BOLSTERED SECOND UNIT:

C: Noah (instant improvement to team 2)
PF: Mirotic
SF: Dunleavy (instant improvement to team 2)
SG: Hinrich or Moore (I personally don't care)
PG: Brooks aka Microwave 2, Electric Boogaloo

Balance, balance, balance...in essence I think this is what the hawks are achieving...

Please note, this is only for the regular season...adjust accordingly for the teams you play in the playoffs...
gstephanopulos
Sixth Man
And1: 823

Post#5 » by gstephanopulos » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:01 pm

We actually run a lot of motion offense and stuff that ATL and SA do. However we don't always have enough 3pt shooting.

I don't belive that you can run any sucessful ball-sharing system with Brooks in your lineup.
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,888

Post#6 » by MAQ » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:10 pm

WhyNot? wrote:The latest and seemingly most effective model for NBA teams (Spurs & Hawks) during the REGULAR SEASON is one that husbands have known all along: a happy wife equals a happy life. The same goes for a team's bench.

"Hey man, come to Atlanta, you ACTUALLY get to play..."

Qualifier: as long as you've got a solid/decent bench, spread that love out during a season for the love of G.

Here's the question: Will Thibs ever go to a bigger platoon system during the regular season when teams like the Hawks with fewer stars are KILLING IT? (Yes, of course regular season matters as well as tie breakers between teams) Or will Thibs always be Thibs during the regular season?

May the man upstairs bless you and our beloved Bulls. Discuss.

Well...Thibs ran a 9.5 man rotation the first year (9.5 because Bogans only played 6 minutes a half and Brewer was in and out of the dog house) so he has shown he'll do exactly what you have said Atlanta does, play the bench so long as they are solid players.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#7 » by kingkirk » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:47 pm

Ignoring the depth charts, the Hawks and Spurs are teams that have no alpha dominant males. They have no ego driven stars. They have no role players that are sulking, thinking they're more than what they are (Reggie Jackson).

They're teams who have a strong veteran presence that promote selfless basketball and everyone buys in.

Everyone buys in because they're high IQ guys. A lot of players in this league are not high IQ guys, therefore running what they do isn't always possible given the basketball minds at hand, regardless of how much skill they have.
Bandit King
Analyst
And1: 1,145

Post#8 » by Bandit King » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:14 am

We don't have KYLE Korver anymore and they do.
Chicago Bulls Basketball - The Continuity
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#9 » by TimRobbins » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:44 am

All of our key players are ball dominant. Rose, Jimmy, Gasol, Taj. Even Kirk likes to hold the ball. If you want a team that plays like the Hawks, you're going to have to move every single player int his roster.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,291

Post#10 » by dumbell78 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:29 am

Cant happen with us as we're currently constructed. Those teams were VERY DELIBERATE in who they have brought in to fit the system. For us to go that route means a whole lots of player changes and shift in strategy.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#11 » by Red Larrivee » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:02 pm

If the Hawks tried playing one-on-one basketball, they wouldn't be very good. It's the same reason the Bulls weren't doing it the past 4 years; they didn't have the talent to do so. They had to rely on side to side ball movement and pick/roll to set up shooters and get other quality shots. Atlanta does the same thing and they're constructed to rely on ball movement.

The Bulls have had a culture shock due to the emergence of Butler, addition of Gasol, Brooks off the bench and Rose's return. They're capable of moving the ball, but Thibodeau is showing more interest in utilizing one-on-one basketball.
umfan83
RealGM
And1: 3,265

Post#12 » by umfan83 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:30 pm

Lets see if that "you get to play in Atlanta" thing applies in the postseason.

That was always the knock against the Bulls when they fielded very deep teams in 06-07, then 10-11 and 11-12 seasons. When the playoffs come around, the starters play more, the rotation is more tight and it hurts you to give your 9th or 10th guys the same minutes you gave them in the regular season.

I hope the Hawks prove everyone wrong (unless they face the Bulls), because if not the Bulls I really don't want to see LeBron in the finals for the 5th consecutive year.
RealGM Bulls Board veteran of the following failed epic battles:
-Kobe (2008)
-Amare (2009)
-Bosh (2010 trade deadline and FA)
-LeBron (2010)
-Wade (2010)
-Melo (2014)
drbg43
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

Post#13 » by drbg43 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:25 pm

They don't have "stars" but horford millsap teague and korver aint too shabby. They play like a team.

When we move the ball around and have a good pace on offense, we can play good ball too. We can't get stuck playing isolation and taking bad shots. The hawks move the ball until they get good shots, let's do that.
Thanks to the one and only BullsFan88 for the sig
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#14 » by Mech Engineer » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:41 pm

Horford, Millsap, Korver are good players. We saw what Korver could do in the playoffs. I know you have to live in the moment but they are really in a great zone right now as a team but can they sustain?

The Bulls can duplicate their ball movement but also have the iso play in the back pocket. The Heat had good ball movement but also had their share of iso plays when things did not go well. That's why a prime Kirk would be a great PG for this Atlanta team.

A team like GS has a mix of both and so do the Spurs. That said, team ball requires a lot of chemistry which the current Bulls do not have.

Return to Chicago Bulls