Image ImageImage Image

Best Bulls Little Man

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Best Bulls Little Man 

Post#1 » by JimmyJammer » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:24 pm

Over the last 5 years, we have had our shares of little men, with different degree of success.The list includes:
DJ Augustin
CJ Watson
Nate Robinson
Aaron Brooks
John Lucas III

So my question is who has been the best little man? Why?
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Re: Best Bulls Little Man 

Post#2 » by RememberLu » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:28 pm

Nate Robinson was the best. Tons of heart, great locker room guy, positive effect on morale whenever he made one of his improbable 3's. Raised his game on the big stage, wasn't scared of Lebron, capable of playing some nice defense, getting up for boards and blocks.

D.J. Augustin comes in second, nice PG skills and a good shooter though disappeared in the playoffs
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,599

Post#3 » by Ice Man » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:48 pm

DJ was the best regular-season little, Nate was the best in the playoffs. Nate wasn't all that great in the playoffs, in truth, nothing like most Bulls fans remember. But he was at least adequate. CJ was bad, DJ was bad, JL3 would have been bad had he played, and Brooks has so far been bad. The little man is not a species that is suited for the playoffs, as a general rule.
kdapiton
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#4 » by kdapiton » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:24 pm

If I could have one of them back here at the back up PG position I'd go with DJ.
we go jim
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Post#5 » by pylb » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:05 pm

I don't consider Watson a "little man" at 6'2", so I'd take Augustin. If instead of "little man" it's "backup PG", then Watson.

Nate had some bad games in the playoffs, people just remember the two games where he did really well. Unfortunately you need some sort of consistency in the playoffs.
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#6 » by ADDinChicago » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:55 am

JimmyJammer wrote:Over the last 5 years, we have had our shares of little men, with different degree of success.The list includes:
DJ Augustin
CJ Watson
Nate Robinson
Aaron Brooks
John Lucas III

So my question is who has been the best little man? Why?

D.J. Augustin and it's not even close. Came here after his career was basically dead and he was going to be out of pro basketball. He was also the best actual PG. Watson was overrated. Lucas sucked. Brooks is ok but a liability at times. And Nate Robinson is probably the crappiest good once every 5 nights player that is so unfathomably loved by See Red Nation that it's laughable. You would have thought he'd won an MVP and a title here. I don't get the love and I never will. "Heart" and "energy" are cool if you're 6. He's terrible. The only one I'd ever want back is Augustin and maybe Brooks at a discount.
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,949

Post#7 » by Axl Rose » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:16 am

DJ was the most complete player of the bunch but he did nothing that really sticks with me so my answer would be Nate

i will always remember watching game 4 against the Nets...i remember thinking "well i guess this series is tied" and then out of nowhere Nate went insane...one of the best playoff performances ive seen
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#8 » by kingkirk » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:10 am

Augustin by a mile imo. He actually knows how to play the PG position whereas Robinson & Brooks are miniature SGs. If i had the option of bringing any of them back, it's DJ in an instant.

Nate should never be forgotten though for that performance against the Nets. That was legendary. Cemented his legacy as a Bulls immortal amongst fans.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#9 » by TimRobbins » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:22 am

Augustin was definitely it. Problem is, when you look at the available FA list, there isn't a single guy who is likely to go for the vet min Bulls PG reclamation project. Closest that comes to mind is Jeremy Lin, but he may go for an MMLE deal based on the being Jeremy Lin with all the associated attention from Asia.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Post#10 » by sco » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:40 am

Can we make this a poll?

Count me in on the DJ train, then Watson, who played injured at the end, which hurt perceptions. That said, I think JLIII's score on LBJ was the best play of all of them.
:clap:
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#11 » by League Circles » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:01 pm

I'm going to go with an unpopular choice and pick CJ. I don't like the guy but he was by leaps and bounds the best defender. And scored a bit when it mattered and was good from range. It cannot be understated how much better he was at defense than all the rest. He was above average, all the others below average. Nate is #2 for me. He was a bit of a game changer and literally won playoff games.

Brooks vs DJ is hard for the next guy. Brooks the better scorer, DJ the better facilitator. Both suck on D. DJ may have been a little worse on D. I take Brooks only very marginally. It's funny though cause I really liked DJ even before he was a Bull. He was very good at threes and at the pick and pop. Just couldn't score nearly as easily as brooks can from anywhere.

JL3 doesn't belong in the discussion he was terrible.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#12 » by GimmeDat » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:10 pm

I have Nate and DJ on par, honestly. DJ was excellent, but Nate was just such an X-factor, a real game changer. I remember early in the season people were like 'clearly this guy can score, but he can't run the offense and he's a can't defend anyone'. He quickly changed people's perspectives but playing like a true PG a lot better than anyone could've imagined and working his ass off on D, if still a liability due to his size.

Brooks is disappointing... his figures actually look good - 18 and 5 per/36 including 39% from 3, but you can just feel when you watch the game that he doesn't help the team nearly as much. He's out there for buckets, that's it, and he's quite an indiscriminate shooter.. and that hurts the offense as much as his lack of PG skills.

JL3 was an admirable little guy who was largely a bench-warmer with one performance to remember against LeBron (game of his career, not worth forgetting).

I think everyone has a bitter taste in their mouth from CJ because of the Asik pass and his attitude after leaving the team, but in reality, he was a solid backup for a few years. Best defender out of them all (which doesn't mean a whole lot), and he played his role on the bench mob well. Obviously don't like him anymore though, and thoroughly enjoyed seeing Nate punk him in the playoffs.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#13 » by League Circles » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:15 pm

Worth noting that Brooks has been just trash since the all star break. Like JL3 trash.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Mobby
Analyst
And1: 424

Post#14 » by Mobby » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:25 pm

Gar Paxdorf wrote:I'm going to go with an unpopular choice and pick CJ. I don't like the guy but he was by leaps and bounds the best defender. And scored a bit when it mattered and was good from range. It cannot be understated how much better he was at defense than all the rest. He was above average, all the others below average. Nate is #2 for me. He was a bit of a game changer and literally won playoff games.

Brooks vs DJ is hard for the next guy. Brooks the better scorer, DJ the better facilitator. Both suck on D. DJ may have been a little worse on D. I take Brooks only very marginally. It's funny though cause I really liked DJ even before he was a Bull. He was very good at threes and at the pick and pop. Just couldn't score nearly as easily as brooks can from anywhere.

JL3 doesn't belong in the discussion he was terrible.

I agree on CJ for sure. I don't want to say I'm certain, but I think some people are getting cloudy in their judgment, remembering the pass to Asik (the rest is history), but he was definitely the best for us in many ways. He was big enough to not get flustered by big defenders, and of course his man defense was also adequate because of this. His system defense was very good too. I still think CJ faciliated better than anybody else, especially considering he was the backup during times when our bench was known as the "Bench Mob," and not because of our offensive assaults.

DJ for me comes as a close second as I think he was far more of an offensive force than CJ, so he does have that advantage.

Nate, being the most animated with possibly the biggest heart, is personally my favorite, but I couldn't say his on-court abilities were better than the other two.

Brooks is a further fourth, his lack on defense is far more obvious -- whether that's due to a collective, team performance, or if it's just because he's that bad -- and this is what really brings him down for me.

JL3 is definitely the worst, by a wide margin, and I think the majority of us can agree on that. Buuuuut, his stepback fadeaway over LeBron will always be cemented in my memory.

Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,599

Post#15 » by Ice Man » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:36 pm

Mobby wrote:I don't want to say I'm certain, but I think some people are getting cloudy in their judgment, remembering the pass to Asik (the rest is history)

CJ was trash the entire Philly series. Shot 24% over 6 games. He was a whopping 34% in 15 games the year before. The pass to Asik ... eh, those things happen. Besides Omer might have hit a flipping FT. It is everything else in the playoffs that CJ did that earns him the bad rap among Bulls fans. That and playing for Indy and Brooklyn.
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,611

Post#16 » by jacoby1us » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:26 pm

Nate Robinson was the best. DJ Augustine after that. I miss those guys, I wish the Bulls would have kept DJ, we always seem to let players walk after re-starting their careers.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
dacheezwhiz
Rookie
And1: 25

Post#17 » by dacheezwhiz » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:48 pm

SlimD235
Assistant Coach
And1: 483

Post#18 » by SlimD235 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:11 pm

DJ > Nate > Brooks > CJ > JL3
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#19 » by ADDinChicago » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:46 pm

jacoby1us wrote:Nate Robinson was the best. DJ Augustine after that. I miss those guys, I wish the Bulls would have kept DJ, we always seem to let players walk after re-starting their careers.

Because they use that to get guaranteed money/years. Bulls never intended to keep those guys.
D_GoLow
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,243

Post#20 » by D_GoLow » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:56 pm

Nate

I do like what Aaron has been able to do this season.
This is not a moment, it's a movement

Return to Chicago Bulls