Image ImageImage Image

What is the plan for Portis? - Merged

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

drbg43
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

What is the plan for Portis? - Merged 

Post#1 » by drbg43 » Thu Jul 9, 2015 1:39 pm

Seems pretty obvious that there are no minutes for Portis unless someone goes down (which I'll admit, is probably more likely than not).

What is the plan here? Surely the FO must realize that they need to make a trade. Right? Right?? Or are they content with letting him ride the bench all year?
Thanks to the one and only BullsFan88 for the sig
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Re: What is the plan for Portis? 

Post#2 » by R3AL1TY » Thu Jul 9, 2015 1:47 pm

The plan is for him to perform well in SL, carry the team's luggage, go on donuts and pizza runs, and monitor Kirk's IRA accounts.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,640

Post#3 » by DuckIII » Thu Jul 9, 2015 1:47 pm

Who knows? It depends on a wide variety of factors. His ability. Big man health. Hoiberg's aggressiveness in developing youth. Hoiberg's beliefs on entitlement minutes for vets. Team chemistry issues if Hoiberg rejects entitlement minutes for vets. Taj and/or Noah's trade value.

One thing was clear from last year: One of the huge points of contention between Thibs and the FO was Thibs refusal to aggressively develop the drafted talent. I'm nearly certain that this was a heavily developed topic in their negotiations with Hoiberg. So I expect Hoiberg to be active in looking for ways to get Portis some time.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#4 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Thu Jul 9, 2015 1:56 pm

Pain.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#5 » by FriedRise » Thu Jul 9, 2015 1:57 pm

Dunk n' donuts.
Vintage
Pro Prospect
And1: 177

Post#6 » by Vintage » Thu Jul 9, 2015 1:57 pm

Wait and see how ready Portis is.

You don't need to rush him if he isn't ready. If he is ready, you find minutes for him.
w00t
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,640

Post#7 » by DuckIII » Thu Jul 9, 2015 1:58 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:Pain.

That's a prediction, not a plan.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#8 » by Ralphb07 » Thu Jul 9, 2015 1:59 pm

Honestly the minutes aren't there for him unless a big gets traded or hurt. The difference we see this season is when a big goes down you will see Portis play a role and not just go 3 deep. Even with no entitlement minutes I find it hard for him in his rookie season to warrant minutes over the other four and if he does damn we got a good player.
BullsFTW
Head Coach
And1: 1,893

Post#9 » by BullsFTW » Thu Jul 9, 2015 2:00 pm

Probably won't play much this season, but could potentially replace Noah at the Center position.
BrotherDre
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#10 » by BrotherDre » Thu Jul 9, 2015 2:03 pm

I hope he doesn't get the bairstow/mcbuckets treatment.
Would love to see how his skillset translates at the pro level.
You gotta get at it when you get to it;...... might not get to it to get at it again!
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#11 » by Red Larrivee » Thu Jul 9, 2015 2:06 pm

There probably isn't an initial plan. You have to remember the Bulls were shocked Portis was available and took him because he was the clear BPA. If there's a plan, its more so long term than this season.

I don't expect him to play much.
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

What is the plan for Portis? 

Post#12 » by DarthDiggler69 » Thu Jul 9, 2015 2:12 pm

Hes likely a bench rider until an injury or a frontcourt player gets traded. No rush hes only 20. At the point I still don't see him as our future center because hes not much of a rim protecter. He could be fighting for the 4 in the future, still think Bulls need to find an athletic bigman in the upcoming drafts
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Post#13 » by DASMACKDOWN » Thu Jul 9, 2015 2:17 pm

DuckIII wrote:Who knows? It depends on a wide variety of factors. His ability. Big man health. Hoiberg's aggressiveness in developing youth. Hoiberg's beliefs on entitlement minutes for vets. Team chemistry issues if Hoiberg rejects entitlement minutes for vets. Taj and/or Noah's trade value.

One thing was clear from last year: One of the huge points of contention between Thibs and the FO was Thibs refusal to aggressively develop the drafted talent. I'm nearly certain that this was a heavily developed topic in their negotiations with Hoiberg. So I expect Hoiberg to be active in looking for ways to get Portis some time.

That was one of the biggest gripes I think. Even when we would be up 20 with 10 mins to go, against the opposing teams 3rd stringers, Tom would still have Jimmy, Pau, Taj/Noah etc like we were down 20.

Simple situations are like that are golden opportunities to 'develop' your young guys. But no, it could only be 5 mins left in the game..if that before he would feel comfortable.
The Cult of Personality
drbg43
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

Post#14 » by drbg43 » Thu Jul 9, 2015 2:24 pm

Even if Hoiberg is willing to play the young guys, not sure where the minutes will come.

Even last year we were struggling to figure out how we'd get Miro some more minutes. I don't think there's any left for him unless Mirotic and Gibson play like 20 each leaving 8 minutes for Portis at PF. I don't see him playing at C, and on top of that, Noah and Gasol should basically be splitting the minutes at C. The Noah at PF experiment has to end, especially now that we have 3 actual PFs.
Thanks to the one and only BullsFan88 for the sig
Cowbulls
Rookie
And1: 888

Post#15 » by Cowbulls » Thu Jul 9, 2015 2:24 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:Simple situations are like that are golden opportunities to 'develop' your young guys. But no, it could only be 38 seconds left in the game..if that before he would feel comfortable.

Fixed it for you.
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

What is the plan for Portis? 

Post#16 » by DarthDiggler69 » Thu Jul 9, 2015 2:31 pm

drbg43 wrote:Even if Hoiberg is willing to play the young guys, not sure where the minutes will come.

Even last year we were struggling to figure out how we'd get Miro some more minutes. I don't think there's any left for him unless Mirotic and Gibson play like 20 each leaving 8 minutes for Portis at PF. I don't see him playing at C, and on top of that, Noah and Gasol should basically be splitting the minutes at C. The Noah at PF experiment has to end, especially now that we have 3 actual PFs.

Portis isn't going to play much this season unless he REALLY impresses, then that would make Taj even more expendable. But dont expect him to see much time this season
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#17 » by FriedRise » Thu Jul 9, 2015 2:48 pm

DarthDiggler69 wrote:
drbg43 wrote:Even if Hoiberg is willing to play the young guys, not sure where the minutes will come.

Portis isn't going to play much this season unless he REALLY impresses, then that would make Taj even more expendable. But dont expect him to see much time this season

Yeah as much as I'd like to see the kid play, he has 4 guys in front of him. Last year Thibs stuck with 3 bigs in his rotation (Gasol, Noah, and Taj) and it wasn't until somebody got hurt that he played Niko. Even if Hoiberg extends the rotation to 4 bigs, Portis will still not be ahead of the other guys, barring injuries. It's very tricky to get any development time for Portis unless we trade one of our bigs.

But then again, if we're truly starting with a clean slate where any position and playing time is up for grabs, none of this vet status / salary stuff matters. In that case, he might have a shot to get ahead of a hobbled Noah or recovering-from-injury Taj.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#18 » by Rerisen » Thu Jul 9, 2015 4:01 pm

To watch and practice.

He's the 5th big. Even if one guy is injured in front of him, we'll have 3 bigs fully capable of taking 96 minutes a game.
Chicago Brawls
Senior
And1: 834

Post#19 » by Chicago Brawls » Thu Jul 9, 2015 4:04 pm

To serve as the subject of an argument against the head coach.
Yeah, well you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Concept Coop
Analyst
And1: 608

Post#20 » by Concept Coop » Thu Jul 9, 2015 4:06 pm

drbg43 wrote:Seems pretty obvious that there are no minutes for Portis unless someone goes down (which I'll admit, is probably more likely than not).

What is the plan here? Surely the FO must realize that they need to make a trade. Right? Right?? Or are they content with letting him ride the bench all year?

There is nothing wrong or unusual with a rookie picked in that range riding the bench for a year.

The plan is to develop him as best they can, while balancing team success.

Why is this place so eager for reasons to bash one of the better FOs in the league?
Real GM Bulls Board: Step 2 - Anger

Return to Chicago Bulls