Image ImageImage Image

Mirotic Time, Hoopshype Interview P.12

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

bentheredengthat
General Manager
And1: 1,606

Re: Mirotic Time 

Post#241 » by bentheredengthat » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:49 am

Stratmaster wrote:Niko is more interview savvy in his 2nd language than certain other players are in their first language. He answered without dodging questions but also didn't step all over himself when asked about Thibs, Rose/Butler, and salaries.

Yes very polished, especially compared to last year.

I wonder if the FO has a media person to coach these guys on interviews, because it can't be natural for them to answer some of these questions, especially about the coaching change, so diplomatically.

I think we might underestimate what a big deal is was for Niko to make that adjustment to a different league, different country, and different language last season. I liked his comments about earning respect and trust from his teammates throughout the year.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,673

Post#242 » by Ice Man » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:03 pm

Vbulls213 wrote:This means Niko's sucky postseason performance was just caused by fatigue & injury.
He'll be good next season with better conditioning. 8-) 8-) 8-)

This means that is his explanation. I mean, he's not going to say, "In the playoffs, the opponents are better, people play harder, and I wasn't good enough to compete at that level."

Mind you, it might be the correct explanation. I hope so.
Gray Poster
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#243 » by Gray Poster » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:19 pm

Ice Man wrote:
Vbulls213 wrote:This means Niko's sucky postseason performance was just caused by fatigue & injury.

This means that is his explanation. I mean, he's not going to say, "In the playoffs, the opponents are better, people play harder, and I wasn't good enough to compete at that level."

It is disappointing to hear that Nikola was not prepared to play the whole season. He was a pro in Spain for several years and should know what it takes to make it through a season physically. The Euroleague season is shorter and the play is less physical, but he should be ready to handle it after years in the second best league in the world. He does need some more strength.

I am a big fan but I wonder. Nah, he will start at the 4 next year and average 20!
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#244 » by Ice Man » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:28 pm

Gray Poster wrote:I am a big fan but I wonder. Nah, he will start at the 4 next year and average 20!

That's the spirit! Hey it is August, now is the time to believe.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,991

Post#245 » by meekrab » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:04 pm

Gray Poster wrote:It is disappointing to hear that Nikola was not prepared to play the whole season. He was a pro in Spain for several years and should know what it takes to make it through a season physically. The Euroleague season is shorter and the play is less physical, but he should be ready to handle it after years in the second best league in the world. He does need some more strength.

Euroleague plays a 24 game "season" spaced out over the same time as the NBA regular season and then a single 5 game playoff series followed by a weekend final four. It's a huge difference in terms of conditioning to play 4x as many games in the same timespan.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Re: Mirotic Time, Hoopshype Interview P.12 

Post#246 » by Ralphb07 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:52 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:Its going to be interesting to see how Hoiberg deals with the front court.

Lets face it, Thibs got to play Niko a bit more than maybe he would have basically because Noah was hurt and missed alot of games and Taj was hurt and missed alot of games.

If everyone was healthy - yes a word used often but never ever seems to happen, Niko probably would have played McDermott type minutes.

I don't think everyone will truly be satisfied with their minutes if that is the case. Even if you cut Pau's minutes down to 30, you still couldnt effectively have Taj and Niko both playing 20+ mins off the bench.

Yeah someone is getting screwed but hopefully the worst players play less and no longer do veterans get entitlement minutes.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,329

Post#247 » by Stratmaster » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:04 pm

meekrab wrote:
Gray Poster wrote:It is disappointing to hear that Nikola was not prepared to play the whole season. He was a pro in Spain for several years and should know what it takes to make it through a season physically. The Euroleague season is shorter and the play is less physical, but he should be ready to handle it after years in the second best league in the world. He does need some more strength.

Euroleague plays a 24 game "season" spaced out over the same time as the NBA regular season and then a single 5 game playoff series followed by a weekend final four. It's a huge difference in terms of conditioning to play 4x as many games in the same timespan.

So based on that, they play less games, over a longer time span, than a college team does. Very interesting and thanks for the info!
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#248 » by Ice Man » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:16 pm

Stratmaster wrote:So based on that, they play less games, over a longer time span, than a college team does.

Well no. Madrid plays Euro League and Spanish League. Between those two leagues, MIrotic played 64 games in his final European season (62 games the year before). He only averaged 24 minutes per game, though.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#249 » by Jstock12 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:22 pm

Ice Man wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:So based on that, they play less games, over a longer time span, than a college team does.

Well no. Madrid plays Euro League and Spanish League. Between those two leagues, MIrotic played 64 games in his final European season (62 games the year before). He only averaged 24 minutes per game, though.

Don't forget the Spanish Cup too. That's 3 more games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Copa_del_Rey_de_Baloncesto
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#250 » by Ice Man » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:24 pm

Jstock12 wrote:Don't forget the Spanish Cup too.

I thought there might be a Spanish Cup, just like in soccer. It didn't show up on the stats page that I looked at. Thanks.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,329

Post#251 » by Stratmaster » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:44 pm

Ice Man wrote:

Gotcha. That matches more what my original perception was. So in the NBA, he is playing about 33% more games in a shorter time frame.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#252 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:56 pm

Gray Poster wrote:
Ice Man wrote:

It is disappointing to hear that Nikola was not prepared to play the whole season. He was a pro in Spain for several years and should know what it takes to make it through a season physically. The Euroleague season is shorter and the play is less physical, but he should be ready to handle it after years in the second best league in the world. He does need some more strength.

I am a big fan but I wonder. Nah, he will start at the 4 next year and average 20!

Eh, most if not all Eruo players have an adjustment year for their first season. 3pt line, games played and minutes played.

It's not uncommon.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
MrTwister
Sixth Man
And1: 1,081

Post#253 » by MrTwister » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:00 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
Ice Man wrote:

Gotcha. That matches more what my original perception was. So in the NBA, he is playing about 33% more games in a shorter time frame.

Seasons in Europe lasts for about 9 months where Niko played total of 77 games, while just in 6 months span he played 82 games plus another month or two of playoff games.It takes a little time to adjust on that kind of pace.
FreakMaster
Bench Warmer
And1: 290

Post#254 » by FreakMaster » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:21 am

burlydee wrote:
Rerisen wrote:
DuckIII wrote:Butler is not a meaningful parallel for how Rose and Niko will gel. Butler has the ball in his hands. Niko won't.

Not nearly as much as Butler or Rose, but based on how we saw Niko be most successful last year, I hope he has the ball in his hands some. Not in a lead manner of, 'here throw Niko the ball now make a play', but rather when he gets it within the flow of the offense in situations he thinks he has an advantage, I hope he is encouraged and feels free to make an individual play. I suspect Hoiberg will promote this.

Niko and Butler are a decent parallel in my opinion. Niko was assisted on 54% of his 2 pt shots last year. Butler was assisted on... 57% of his 2 pt shots last year. They created offense for themselves off the dribble at about the same rate, although Butler had many more opportunities. Niko and Butler share some traits that make them good offensive players. They both score very well at the rim. They had the two highest free throw rates on the team by a considerable margin. Surprisingly, its the 3pt shooting that made Butler the more efficient offensive player.

Niko's problem is that he had D. Rose disease. He shot way too many 3s given his rate for knocking them down. NIko actually shot more 3s than 2s last year and since he shot them at 31%, it killed his efficiency. He needs to improve his 3pt shooting and his shot selection. Niko fired 3s up like he was Kyle Korver but he shot them like he was D. Rose.

The Bulls too many times this year had the wrong guys shooting 3s. I think inserting Niko into the starting lineup, ironically, would help that. Niko would have more room to drive with Rose, Butler and Dunleavy out there, the same with Rose with Butler, Dunleavy, Niko. They would probably force less 3s which would help their percentages.

Niko was a fine 3 pt shooter in the Euroleague. He also made a significant leap in shooting from his 1st yr to his 2nd. I expect Niko to improve as a shooter as he gains more confidence playing in the NBA.
I agree that Niko should be in the starting lineup next season, but he has to improve as a SF. My hope is that he'll be able to be an upgrade for Mike Dunleavy.
I don't agree with the Bulls having the wrong guys shooting 3's. The guys shooting 3's failed to make enough 3's. Hopefully, that changes next yr too. Brooks, Dunleavy and Gasol shot the ball pretty well from the 3 pt line. Butler improved significantly also. Next season look for McDermott, Rose, and Snell to show improvement in that area.
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#255 » by Proven_Winner » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:13 am

Ralphb07 wrote:
Next year I guess I’m going to have more of a featured role with the team and that’s just another motivation to work extra hard so when the team needs me I’m ready to deliver.

Sounds like he's been told he's having a bigger role.

But that's a bit obvious don't u think? Even if thibs was here Niko would have a bigger role.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#256 » by GimmeDat » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:33 am

Proven_Winner wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:
Next year I guess I’m going to have more of a featured role with the team and that’s just another motivation to work extra hard so when the team needs me I’m ready to deliver.

But that's a bit obvious don't u think? Even if thibs was here Niko would have a bigger role.

It's easy to say that, but the logjam in the front court is real. Who do you take minutes away from to faciltate Niko getting a bigger role?
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#257 » by MC3 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:22 pm

Proven_Winner wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:

he wouldnt
vvgotgame19
Starter
And1: 757

Post#258 » by vvgotgame19 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:36 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:

It's easy to say that, but the logjam in the front court is real. Who do you take minutes away from to faciltate Niko getting a bigger role?

Noah, Taj and Gasol. Those guys aren't spring chickens anymore, and we have the luxury of being able to preserve them somewhat. It's time to do that.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#259 » by Ice Man » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:24 pm

vvgotgame19 wrote:Noah, Taj and Gasol. Those guys aren't spring chickens anymore, and we have the luxury of being able to preserve them somewhat. It's time to do that.

If we cut Noah and Pau to 28 minutes each, which would be the fewest minutes for Jo since his first 2 years in the NBA and substantially less than Pau has ever played, that leaves a whopping 19 minutes each for Niko and Taj. Oh and zero for Portis, he who some thought might be a lottery pick.

It's a logjam alright.
SpinninHouse
RealGM
And1: 2,725

Re: Mirotic Time, Hoopshype Interview P.12 

Post#260 » by SpinninHouse » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:03 pm

DarthDiggler69 wrote:How tall do you think he is? I know hes listed as 6'10 but I think hes at least 6'11. Next to Pau it looks about right but I also think Pau is an inch taller than listed. I heard that European players are usually taller than listed because they measure without shoes

KC Johnson is reporting that Mirotic is now 7'4. Apparently his source is Reggie Rose.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
FIRE THE JOHN "THE SNAKE" PAXSON, FOR GARMAN, AND FRED HOIBERGER.

#CHICAGOBULLS

Return to Chicago Bulls