Image ImageImage Image

2015 NCAA Basketball/Draft Prospect Thread - Merged

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Re: 2015 NCAA Basketball/Draft Prospect Thread (Kings Pick!) 

Post#241 » by Indomitable » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:09 am

Caris Levert
:banghead:
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#242 » by GimmeDat » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:33 am

There's things I really like about Valentine and things I'm skeptical about - offensive versatility has a lot of value, especially with how teams are playing right now, and considering how this team has a long way to go on a roster level to facilitate an elite team offense like GSW/Spurs, adding a smart player with a great feel for the game (and a knockdown jumper to boot) would be a great step in that direction.

On the flipside, he's limited physically and he's a senior. I think being a smart team defender is probably his upside as a defender - his foot-speed is going to give him problems in the NBA; he's already struggling to defend college SG's. If he struggles to work off the dribble, that may negate some of his more intriguing offensive skills, and a one-way player basically limited to jumpers isn't too attractive.

Weighing it up, I'm definitely more pro-Valentine than con, but I think you have to give precedence to guys with more upside considering our situation. Right now I think you need to be drafting with the future core in mind, and as much as I love Valentine as a player, I don't think he'll be able to overcome his physical shortcomings enough to reach upside as part of an NBA 'core'.

He does so many things well though, just a joy of an overall player to watch, though. I really awesome college player to watch.
WesleyExChiFan
Starter
And1: 1,014

Post#243 » by WesleyExChiFan » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:29 am

GimmeDat wrote:
MC3 wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Gj6rj-zIE[/youtube]

One of my favourites. Love to have him.

I see legit NBA level athleticism and ball handling. I like his awareness too. Made a lot of smart passes in that clip.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Rose2Boozer
Starter
And1: 647

Post#244 » by Rose2Boozer » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:26 pm

Well, he's not a 2016 draft prospect, but if Hinrich and Moore injuries linger, I wouldn't mind seeing the Bulls sign Xavier Munford to a 10 day contract. Munford is in the Ian Clarke mold. He's not a natural point guard, but his playing making skills are respectable and he gets buckets.
ROLES & HOLES
greenl
Starter
And1: 1,519

Post#245 » by greenl » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:46 pm

Denzel Valentine- seems to fit the profile of guys GarPax likes- big school, productive career, tournament success, not a one and done (Deng and Teague as exceptions). Valentine would appear to check a lot of the boxes that they like- plus he plays a position of need (PG). I'd not be surprised if the Bulls take him with one of their two picks.
"Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children." - Bill Hicks
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#246 » by R3AL1TY » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:37 pm

GimmeDat wrote:There's things I really like about Valentine and things I'm skeptical about - offensive versatility has a lot of value, especially with how teams are playing right now, and considering how this team has a long way to go on a roster level to facilitate an elite team offense like GSW/Spurs, adding a smart player with a great feel for the game (and a knockdown jumper to boot) would be a great step in that direction.

On the flipside, he's limited physically and he's a senior. I think being a smart team defender is probably his upside as a defender - his foot-speed is going to give him problems in the NBA; he's already struggling to defend college SG's. If he struggles to work off the dribble, that may negate some of his more intriguing offensive skills, and a one-way player basically limited to jumpers isn't too attractive.

Weighing it up, I'm definitely more pro-Valentine than con, but I think you have to give precedence to guys with more upside considering our situation. Right now I think you need to be drafting with the future core in mind, and as much as I love Valentine as a player, I don't think he'll be able to overcome his physical shortcomings enough to reach upside as part of an NBA 'core'.

He does so many things well though, just a joy of an overall player to watch, though. I really awesome college player to watch.

Yes, the knock on him is his lack of athleticism and man to man defense, which may make him fall outside the lottery. But I think he can improve on his defense in the long run too. It looks like he may have to defend the SF spot the most. But his shooting, passing, and rebounding are key elements not to pass up. He seems to push the ball well in the open court and has the handles to get to anywhere he wants, but he isn't beating people with his foot speed indeed. It looks like he relies on craftiness. But PGs that has what he lacks(Trimble, Baldwin, and Jackson) are guys I wouldn't mine too.
Martial
Junior
And1: 269

Post#247 » by Martial » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:37 pm

wesleybullsfan wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
MC3 wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Gj6rj-zIE[/youtube]

I see legit NBA level athleticism and ball handling. I like his awareness too. Made a lot of smart passes in that clip.

Haven't seen much of him at all, so I am probably not qualified to make comparisons, but Beldsoe with a better jumper?
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,018

Post#248 » by Chi town » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:33 pm

Keep an eye on Gary Payton's son... GPII. Kid has a lot of dog in him. Triple double threat ever night. Needs to improve his 3 ball. I think he will creep into 1st round.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#249 » by TheSuzerain » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:35 pm

Sonic wrote:
wesleybullsfan wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:

Haven't seen much of him at all, so I am probably not qualified to make comparisons, but Beldsoe with a better jumper?

That's what I've always thought too.

Better jumpshot, but -2 inches on the wingspan compared to Bledsoe.
R3AL1TY
General Manager

Post#250 » by R3AL1TY » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:07 am

Buddy definitely looks like a lottery pick. If he falls at the Sac pick(11-15), I think they should grab him. Unlike some of the other big name scorers that will likely be in the draft, he has 4 years worth of value. He is pretty efficient for his high volume and he seems decent on defense.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#251 » by Chi town » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:40 pm

Peter Jok of Iowa is balling right now. He's like snell w aggression, handles, and a mid range fade away off the bounce. He's a junior. If he keeps playing like this and plays well in tourney I could see him going in the draft and being there at Bulls pick.
IcemanGervin
Veteran
And1: 1,535

Post#252 » by IcemanGervin » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:02 pm

I rarely watch college ball anymore. LaVert looks like Tim Hardaway Jr. to me. Talk me out of that easy comparison.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#253 » by Chi town » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:18 pm

Chi town wrote:Peter Jok of Iowa is balling right now. He's like snell w aggression, handles, and a mid range fade away off the bounce. He's a junior. If he keeps playing like this and plays well in tourney I could see him going in the draft and being there at Bulls pick.

Btw... Jok is much stronger than Snell and plays good D. He's a 3D player w a handle and mid range game. Really good coming around screens. He's everything we wanted Snell to be.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,918

Post#254 » by RSP83 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:26 pm

I really like Wade Baldwin. I think he's not going fall out of the lottery. If we get that Kings pick, we may be able to pick him up late lottery. But seriously, with that crazy wingspan he looks like a more muscular Rondo. And he can shoot, shooting form is a bit funky. Seems like a pretty efficient Point Guard, make quick decisions with his pass, doesn't hold the ball too long, and doesn't hesitate to move the ball.

I don't know if this has been posted, but pretty nice clip. Really smooth player.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB48KN96E0M[/youtube]
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#255 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:26 pm

IcemanGervin wrote:I rarely watch college ball anymore. LaVert looks like Tim Hardaway Jr. to me. Talk me out of that easy comparison.

THJ never had the ball skills that LeVert does. No one ever said THJ could get run at PG in the NBA (despite his pedigree).

And statistically this season from LeVert far outstrips anything THJ ever did in college by basically every measure. Scoring volume, efficiency, playmaking, rebounding, steals, TOV%. And then the aggregate stats like PER and Win Shares too. In all cases, LeVert is significantly better.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#256 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:28 pm

I'm in the can for Wade Baldwin too.

I feel like he's an ideal complement to Butler. Knockdown shooter. Great potential on D.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#257 » by DanTown8587 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:29 pm

IcemanGervin wrote:I rarely watch college ball anymore. LaVert looks like Tim Hardaway Jr. to me. Talk me out of that easy comparison.

Better on ball defender, much better ability to attack the rim, more active off the ball, and longer. The thing about LeVert to me is that he's continually improved even after four years in college in a way that leads me to believe that he'll be a better pro in year 3 than the day he's drafted. The only thing THJr really improved on at UM was his handles slightly (but never to an NBA level).

I'd love to take Valentine with the Kings pick then LeVert (hoping he falls a little bit) with the Bulls actual pick. I''d really love for the Sixers pick to end up around 11-12 then trade back (i.e the Bulls get the Sixers two firsts) and take Valentine, LeVert, and Hammons. Go in to FA and try and get a starter and then hope one of Valentine/Levert breaks and Hammons/Felicio is a decent back up big with size.

Starters
Rose, Butler, FA, Mirotic/Portis, Gibson

Bench
Two of Valentine/LeVert/Snell/McDermott, Mirotic/Portis, Hammons/Felicio, Low cost PG, Jason Smith type big man as insurance for Hammons/Felicio
Chi town
RealGM

Post#258 » by Chi town » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:39 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:

Better on ball defender, much better ability to attack the rim, more active off the ball, and longer. The thing about LeVert to me is that he's continually improved even after four years in college in a way that leads me to believe that he'll be a better pro in year 3 than the day he's drafted. The only thing THJr really improved on at UM was his handles slightly (but never to an NBA level).

I'd love to take Valentine with the Kings pick then LeVert (hoping he falls a little bit) with the Bulls actual pick. I''d really love for the Sixers pick to end up around 11-12 then trade back (i.e the Bulls get the Sixers two firsts) and take Valentine, LeVert, and Hammons. Go in to FA and try and get a starter and then hope one of Valentine/Levert breaks and Hammons/Felicio is a decent back up big with size.

Starters
Rose, Butler, FA, Mirotic/Portis, Gibson

Bench
Two of Valentine/LeVert/Snell/McDermott, Mirotic/Portis, Hammons/Felicio, Low cost PG, Jason Smith type big man as insurance for Hammons/Felicio

I like that plan. You MUST draft a PG though.

I'm good with ... Jackson, Baldwin, Trimble, Morris or GPII. All will be better than Brooks and can play Hoiball.

Got to pick up a wing too... Buddy Valentine LaVert Utoff

Sounds crazy but I'd like to use 3 picks to develop some depth and competition for our young guys.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,918

Post#259 » by RSP83 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:40 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:I'm in the can for Wade Baldwin too.

I feel like he's an ideal complement to Butler. Knockdown shooter. Great potential on D.

Baldwin may be able to play SG with that wingspan. And he's accustomed to sharing the ball and move off the ball in Vandy's collective offense, so he may be able to play alongside Rose as well.

A small ball lineup of Rose, Baldwin, Butler, Portis, Gibson could be pretty scary defensively assuming Rose continue to put in 100% effort on defense and Portis gets smarter on defense after 1 year plus his always high energy.
R3AL1TY
General Manager

Post#260 » by R3AL1TY » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:13 am

If the Bulls go after a big in the 2nd round I wouldn't mine them picking AJ Hammonds or Kyle Wiltjer. AJ is a rim protector with some offensive upside. Kyle plays as a stretch 4 or 5.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRjFblfO5i0[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFptR_heU4M[/youtube]

Return to Chicago Bulls