Image ImageImage Image

Dunleavy still a month away. - Update Pg 2, possible setback

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Zan7Z7Zz
Junior
And1: 99

Dunleavy still a month away. - Update Pg 2, possible setback 

Post#1 » by Zan7Z7Zz » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:14 am

Just saw on the daily Herald Mike Dunleavy jr. Is another month away. I never thought I'd miss that guy this much.

Sadly I was expecting more from Doug and Snell.

Also Snell would be the odd man out.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,019

Re: Dunleavy still a month away. 

Post#2 » by Chi town » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:15 am

Zan7Z7Zz wrote:Just saw on the daily Herald Mike Dunleavy jr. Is another month away. I never thought I'd miss that guy this much.

I don't t think you will b seeing Snell after Mike returns.
Zan7Z7Zz
Junior

Post#3 » by Zan7Z7Zz » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:17 am

Chi town wrote:
Zan7Z7Zz wrote:Just saw on the daily Herald Mike Dunleavy jr. Is another month away. I never thought I'd miss that guy this much.

I was just editing that when you posted it. Thx
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,266

Post#4 » by kodo » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:19 am

He was the sharpshooter we opted for over Korver, so he was always critical to the team IMO.

That's brutal...even when he's back he's going to be in preseason form in January. :(
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#5 » by musiqsoulchild » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:19 am

Sounds like a lets see what we have with Snell plan.

Dunleavy is a known commodity - Snell is still figuring things out. Gar is definitely backing his pick here.
For love, not money.
Zan7Z7Zz
Junior

Post#6 » by Zan7Z7Zz » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:33 am

I was was disappointed with the signing because of my hate for duke players but MDJ is a solid vet. Good defender knows how to do the little things.
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Dunleavy still a month away. 

Post#7 » by DarthDiggler69 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:36 am

Yeah I miss Dunleavy too, a month is too long other media made it seem like he was close . Bulls offense seems to flow better with him and defensively as well. Surely the way Snell is playing he will have a seat with Portis and Felicio. I actually hope MDJ comes off the bench to give the bench more offensive punch its lacking, our bench would be strong
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#8 » by Rerisen » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:43 am

Chi town wrote:

Both statistically and game observation would make an argument for that, but the reality is Dunleavy and Doug replicate a lot of the same territory. We still need one more perimeter defender beside Jimmy.

If Dunleavy is getting killed by a faster wing, there is no solution to that by bringing in Doug, and giving them all 48 minutes.

So unless Fred is really going to double down on E'twaun Moore, or Kirk at SG, while Jimmy does overtime at SF, Snell is probably going to keep finding his way into the rotation, until or unless a move is made.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#9 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:18 am

Rerisen wrote:
Chi town wrote:

Both statistically and game observation would make an argument for that, but the reality is Dunleavy and Doug replicate a lot of the same territory. We still need one more perimeter defender beside Jimmy.

If Dunleavy is getting killed by a faster wing, there is no solution to that by bringing in Doug, and giving them all 48 minutes.

So unless Fred is really going to double down on E'twaun Moore, or Kirk at SG, while Jimmy does overtime at SF, Snell is probably going to keep finding his way into the rotation, until or unless a move is made.

Snell is also going to get killed by a faster wing.

I think it's really turned into a myth that Snell's defensive impact is better than Dunleavy's. It's not. I just don't see Snell as a good defender. And then on offense he is invisible.

Sure the team will need another defensive wing other than Butler, but Tony isn't that guy. So since Dunleavy is just the better overall player he should likely get the minutes over Snell. It's all just depending on how the back holds up.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
ralphisBullsFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 430

Post#10 » by ralphisBullsFan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:42 am

Until MDJ returns we will be finishing most games with Jimmy at the 3 and a Rose, Moore/Kirk back court. With the exception of Doug finishing some games when he is hot. We just need MDJ to return before the deadline to see if he is still capable of being our starting and finishing SF, because if he isn't or gets re injured we need to make a trade fora starting SF.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#11 » by transplant » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:29 am

The fewer regular season games he plays the fresher he should be come playoff time. This Bulls team has won nearly 70% of their games so far this season, so they look like a playoff lock with or without Dunleavy.

Take your time, Mike. Just be your very best come April.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
kristov
Junior
And1: 80

Post#12 » by kristov » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:34 am

How about providing the link next time? And the article states "Mike Dunleavy is probably about a month away from returning from back surgery."

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20151125/sports/151129155/
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#13 » by GimmeDat » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:19 pm

I'm interested to see whether he can continue his form after returning, it's a big injury to have at his age. If he doesn't come back to full health we may have no real option at SF.
ralphisBullsFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 430

Post#14 » by ralphisBullsFan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:30 pm

GimmeDat wrote:I'm interested to see whether he can continue his form after returning, it's a big injury to have at his age. If he doesn't come back to full health we may have no real option at SF.

Agreed, which is why we need to see him in action before the trade deadline, because we need at least one SF that can produce offense without getting killed on defense. Or Kirk will play heavy minutes at the 2 and jimmy will move to the 3 in the playoffs.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,599

Post#15 » by Ice Man » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:21 pm

Chi town wrote:I don't t think you will b seeing Snell after Mike returns.

That presumes that Mike will be Mike. At his age, after a serious back injury ... hmmm.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#16 » by Leslie Forman » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:48 pm

Ice Man wrote:

That presumes that Mike will be Mike. At his age, after a serious back injury ... hmmm.

Yeah this dependence on Dunleavy seems destined for failure. There's a very, very high chance Dunleavy is terrible for the rest of his career. 35 years old and a bad back, on top of an already steady decline in production.

There's a decent chance he may very well just be a big white Snell.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#17 » by Stratmaster » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:13 pm

Rerisen wrote:
Chi town wrote:

Snell this season has been no better than Dun Dun defensively. The delta defensively between Snell and McD is not nearly as wide as it is made out to be. Snell's defensive rep is entirely based on potential, not performance, and that potential is entirely based around him being "long". The bulls lose nothing defensively by replacing Snell with Dunleavy if MDJ comes back at the same level as last season (still to be seen, I know). They lose very little defensively replacing Snell with McD as long as you have either Noah or Taj in the lineup with Doug. Ideally, the starting lineup without MDJ should be Noah, Gasol, McD, Butler and Rose. You have an e;lite defender inside, an elite defender on the wing, and a DRose who appears to be getting serious about playing defense again.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#18 » by Stratmaster » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:18 pm

tong po wrote:
Ice Man wrote:

Yeah this dependence on Dunleavy seems destined for failure. There's a very, very high chance Dunleavy is terrible for the rest of his career. 35 years old and a bad back, on top of an already steady decline in production.

There's a decent chance he may very well just be a big white Snell.

And there was a chance Noah was done and we should have put a fork in him. But suddenly he isn't.

And Hinrich could no longer provide any value on the court. But suddenly he can.

Gasol was a soft veteran at the end of his career, But there he was in the ASG last season.

Truly, I am not arguing with you. There is certainly a possibility MDJ is terrible. I'm not sure where you get the "high high chance" because his game was not really built around the ability to fly high, arch his back, and slam down dunks. There is also the possibility he comes back the same consistent, reliable player he was last season. I would bet he will be closer to that than he will be terrible.

And all MDJ has to do to avoid being the "white Snell" (your words, not mine lol) is show up and play the same smart basketball he has his entire career.
Toulouse
Junior
And1: 116

Post#19 » by Toulouse » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:28 pm

Dunleavy's BB IQ won't suddenly drop to Snell's pathetic level.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,019

Post#20 » by Chi town » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:58 pm

Toulouse wrote:Dunleavy's BB IQ won't suddenly drop to Snell's pathetic level.

Exactly. His 3 ball will go in unlike Snell too.

The rate at which Dougie is getting better defensively I think by the end of the season he will be at MDJ's level which makes Snell irrelevant.

I like the idea of trading Snell, a big, and the Kings pick for an upgrade at backup PG or wing. We may find if Kirk keeps playing well, and MDJ returns to form with Dougie slowly growing we dont' need a trade however.

Return to Chicago Bulls