Image ImageImage Image

Should We keep Pau?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Oskarp
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Should We keep Pau? 

Post#161 » by Oskarp » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:23 pm

dice wrote:
Just_Bullz wrote:It's a no brainer to resign Pau, he is the Tim Duncan of our team with a skill set that has longevity

except that tim duncan's performance was remarkably stable from his rookie year to age 38. the only difference was the steady reduction in minutes. on the other hand, pau's game declined substantially and permanently when he passed age 30

I don't understand why you say that pau's game declined when he passed age 30. I think you are wrong, have you seen the numbers written by Stratmaster?.

More, like say Ariza68 in other post, Gasol led the league in double doubles last year and he was between the fisrt best five in different categories (defensive rebounds, total rebounds, blocks, 2 points shots made and 2 points shots attemped).
Finally, he was selected for the starting five All Stars 2015, selection made for the NBA supporters.

Sincerely, I think all these data are not bad for a player 35 years old.

Best.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,549

Post#162 » by dice » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:18 am

Oskarp wrote:
dice wrote:
Just_Bullz wrote:It's a no brainer to resign Pau, he is the Tim Duncan of our team with a skill set that has longevity

except that tim duncan's performance was remarkably stable from his rookie year to age 38. the only difference was the steady reduction in minutes. on the other hand, pau's game declined substantially and permanently when he passed age 30

I don't understand why you say that pau's game declined when he passed age 30. I think you are wrong, have you seen the numbers written by Stratmaster?

he is much less efficient as a scorer. it requires a lot more shots for him to score the same number of points. his rebounding numbers are up because he is playing less defense away from the rim

true, of course
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Oskarp
Ballboy

Post#163 » by Oskarp » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:14 pm

dice wrote:
Oskarp wrote:
dice wrote:except that tim duncan's performance was remarkably stable from his rookie year to age 38. the only difference was the steady reduction in minutes. on the other hand, pau's game declined substantially and permanently when he passed age 30

I don't understand why you say that pau's game declined when he passed age 30. I think you are wrong, have you seen the numbers written by Stratmaster?

he is much less efficient as a scorer. it requires a lot more shots for him to score the same number of points. his rebounding numbers are up because he is playing less defense away from the rim

true, of course

Ok, more shots for the same points but, how many Chicago players are more efficient scorers than Pau?

Think about it re-sign him 1-2 years isn’t a bad decision, Pau can contribute to the team with his experience, helping and advising to the youngers. It's depends at Gasol salary demands, obviously.

Best.
dice
RealGM

Post#164 » by dice » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:20 pm

Oskarp wrote:
dice wrote:
Oskarp wrote:

true, of course

Ok, more shots for the same points but, how many Chicago players are more efficient scorers than Pau?

Think about it re-sign him 1-2 years isn’t a bad decision, Pau can contribute to the team with his experience, helping and advising to the youngers. It's depends at Gasol salary demands, obviously.

Best.

i would not be opposed to re-signing him. but i think he's gonna want substantially more to stay with what is not as appealing a situation as the first time he signed with us
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
FreakMaster
Bench Warmer
And1: 290

Post#165 » by FreakMaster » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:52 am

dice wrote:
Oskarp wrote:
dice wrote:except that tim duncan's performance was remarkably stable from his rookie year to age 38. the only difference was the steady reduction in minutes. on the other hand, pau's game declined substantially and permanently when he passed age 30

true, of course

I don't know which Pau Gasol you're watching but Pau has remained a steady positive force for the Bulls since he arrived here. What hasn't worked out is how poorly Joakim Noah has became since Pau's arrival. If Jo was able to move like he did Pre-Pau the Bulls frontcourt would be in great shape defensively, offensively and rebound wise. Pau wouldn't have to guard his man and be expected to man the painted area due to defensive lapses by the Bulls backcourt defenders.

I've read all the dislike for Pau and although I think it's crazy to think the Bulls would mention him in trade scenarios, I understand the love they have for former Bulls draft picks Taj Gibson and Joakim Noah. They are originals and Pau is only a 2 time champion transplant from the Lakers so Pau gets the same diss that Carlos Boozer got before him. There's an emotional attachment fans have to the players they rooted for as rookies, and have watched developed into a household name. But, that's not how championship teams are built. You need some luck in the draft, some skill to attract good free agents, and when you land a good one you make him feel welcomed and enjoy the show.
dice
RealGM

Post#166 » by dice » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:20 am

FreakMaster wrote:
dice wrote:
Oskarp wrote:

true, of course

I don't know which Pau Gasol you're watching but Pau has remained a steady positive force for the Bulls since he arrived here

i agree. but it has nothing to do with what i said
FreakMaster
Bench Warmer

Post#167 » by FreakMaster » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:11 pm

dice wrote:
FreakMaster wrote:
dice wrote:he is much less efficient as a scorer. it requires a lot more shots for him to score the same number of points. his rebounding numbers are up because he is playing less defense away from the rim

true, of course

I don't know which Pau Gasol you're watching but Pau has remained a steady positive force for the Bulls since he arrived here

It doesn't take him more shots to score the same number of pts imo. He's often the one guy on the team who knocks down shots consistently. When Rose or Butler is trapped the team will throw the ball to Pau to bail them out, and he makes that midrange shot.
I think what you're implying comes from the heart not from the mind and your eyesight. Pau's PER shows us that he's efficient on offense, and the only reason his scoring has taken a dip from last season is the amount of shots his teammates are taking under new coach Hoiberg is more than he was taking under former coach Thibs. That and Jimmy Butler has become more of an offensive force and plays iso ball more this season.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,609

Post#168 » by Ice Man » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:41 pm

Oskarp wrote:Ok, more shots for the same points but, how many Chicago players are more efficient scorers than Pau?.

Hinrich
Butler
Moore
McDermott
Taj
Brooks
Mirotic

To put the matter another way, the teams that will win the NBA title this year (GS, San Antonio) don't have players with efficiencies as low as Pau's.

Is Pau useful for us? Sure. We're not that good, he makes us better. Is Pau useful for a team that wants to win an NBA title? Hmmm. Not sure about that, not at all.
pelanas
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#169 » by pelanas » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:40 pm

For a team who wants to win a title, o win a title Rose with his salary, Jo, Gibson, Brooks, etc. Are less useful than Gasol.
dice
RealGM

Post#170 » by dice » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:44 pm

FreakMaster wrote:
dice wrote:
FreakMaster wrote:

It doesn't take him more shots to score the same number of pts imo

you're not paying attention to the conversation. i'm talking about now VERSUS HIS PRIME YEARS

I think what you're implying comes from the heart not from the mind and your eyesight. Pau's PER shows us that he's efficient on offense

PER has very little to do with scoring efficiency. that's a very well known concept
FreakMaster
Bench Warmer

Post#171 » by FreakMaster » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:00 am

dice wrote:
FreakMaster wrote:
dice wrote:i agree. but it has nothing to do with what i said

you're not paying attention to the conversation. i'm talking about now VERSUS HIS PRIME YEARS

I think what you're implying comes from the heart not from the mind and your eyesight. Pau's PER shows us that he's efficient on offense

PER has very little to do with scoring efficiency. that's a very well known concept

Pau has been one of the most consistent players ever, and his prime yrs aren't too much different than this yr.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/996/pau-gasol
dice
RealGM

Post#172 » by dice » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:01 am

FreakMaster wrote:
dice wrote:
FreakMaster wrote:

Pau has been one of the most consistent players ever, and his prime yrs aren't too much different than this yr.

i already showed that his scoring efficiency fell off significantly post age-30 earlier in the thread
FreakMaster
Bench Warmer

Post#173 » by FreakMaster » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:04 am

dice wrote:
FreakMaster wrote:
dice wrote:you're not paying attention to the conversation. i'm talking about now VERSUS HIS PRIME YEARS

i already showed that his scoring efficiency fell off significantly post age-30 earlier in the thread

Take a moment to read the link I provided on Pau... Read his FG's made vs FG attempted portion. It hasn't changed much over the yrs.
dice
RealGM

Post#174 » by dice » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:20 am

FreakMaster wrote:
dice wrote:
FreakMaster wrote:

Take a moment to read the link I provided on Pau... Read his FG's made vs FG attempted portion. It hasn't changed much over the yrs.

age 26-30 (his prime years) his FG% was significantly higher than since. there's no way around it. he's just not the same guy who was 1B on a couple of championship teams
FreakMaster
Bench Warmer

Post#175 » by FreakMaster » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:54 am

dice wrote:
FreakMaster wrote:
dice wrote:i already showed that his scoring efficiency fell off significantly post age-30 earlier in the thread

age 26-30 (his prime years) his FG% was significantly higher than since. there's no way around it. he's just not the same guy who was 1B on a couple of championship teams

We can agree to disagree. Did you check the link? His FG % is listed there yr by yr. There's not much of a decline thoughout Pau's career when you look at the numbers on the link. You can also attribute Pau's peak performance yrs with the talent he had around him at the time. The Lakers had Kobe, Bynum, and a whole team full of scoring threats which kept the attention away from Pau. Since Pau arrived to Chicago as a Bull he has been the primary scoring threat along with Butler causing defenses to key on Pau more now than as a Laker. At Memphis he was a primary scoring option too and his FG% wasn't much higher than it is now. He's 35 yrs old so you can expect a decline, but Pau has managed to age gracefully in NBA yrs. imo
dice
RealGM

Post#176 » by dice » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:04 am

FreakMaster wrote:
dice wrote:
FreakMaster wrote:

We can agree to disagree. Did you check the link? His FG % is listed there yr by yr. There's not much of a decline thoughout Pau's career when you look at the numbers on the link

age 26-30 FG%:

53.8 (memphis - terrible team)

age 31-35 FG%:

big difference. i'm really not sure what you're looking at
Pelaez68
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#177 » by Pelaez68 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:27 pm

In my opinion, of course, for the following reasons.
1.- He is Mr. Double-Doubles. 23 in this season.
2.- His statistics. 40 games, 16,3 points, 10,8 rebounds (8,5 defensive rebounds)3,1 Assists . Player Impact estimate 16.1.

Currently, Bulls need his drive to win games.

But, the question is ¿Pau want to stay?
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,313

Post#178 » by coldfish » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:31 pm

No.

Why?
- Its only a matter of time before he has more injury issues.
- His defense is a killer.
- He holds the ball too long on offense.

He has had some good games but this is a poorly constructed team and Pau is probably the biggest non fitting piece.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#179 » by Rerisen » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:58 pm

FreakMaster wrote:Did you check the link? His FG % is listed there yr by yr

FG is a poor overall measure of efficiency.

He doesn't get fouled as much as he used to, that's a big loss of the most easy points you can get. He also converts much worse around the rim because his post game has atrophied.

This is the first season in his career he's under 60% at 0-3 feet, and he used to be up near 70% in his prime years.

He's also only getting 26% of his shots at this range, while on the Laker title teams in his prime he was getting 40%+ of his offense right at the rim!

The result of this loss is not just his own individual efficiency, but he's no longer a threat to draw double teams, and therefore doesn't facilitate open looks for the whole offense. Rather they have to be generated for him. Which is just more work for Butler and Rose.

Offensively, sadly he really is becoming a version of Boozer. Primarily a jump shooting big.
Oskarp
Ballboy

Post#180 » by Oskarp » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Ice Man wrote:
Oskarp wrote:Ok, more shots for the same points but, how many Chicago players are more efficient scorers than Pau?.

Hinrich
Butler
Moore
McDermott
Taj
Brooks
Mirotic

To put the matter another way, the teams that will win the NBA title this year (GS, San Antonio) don't have players with efficiencies as low as Pau's.

Is Pau useful for us? Sure. We're not that good, he makes us better. Is Pau useful for a team that wants to win an NBA title? Hmmm. Not sure about that, not at all.

I disagree.
Pau can be useful even to win an NBA title.

Return to Chicago Bulls