Image ImageImage Image

KC: Bulls Interested in Drafting Kris Dunn

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

KC: Bulls Interested in Drafting Kris Dunn 

Post#1 » by HomoSapien » Wed May 11, 2016 7:10 am

For all the talk about how executive vice president John Paxson and general manager Gar Forman made clear every option is on the table this summer, this is a front office that, historically, has preferred to build through the draft

Last year, the Bulls were fully prepared to select a point guard from a draft deep at that position before Bobby Portis unexpectedly dropped to them at No. 22. This year's draft isn't as deep at point guard. If the Bulls don't trade up, one player sources say intrigues them — Providence combo guard Kris Dunn — certainly would be gone at No. 14. .

The Bulls historically have been aggressive with trades to move up in the draft, doing so to acquire Luol Deng in 2004 and Doug McDermott in 2014.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-bulls-nba-draft-jimmy-butler-spt-0508-20160507-story.html

This is being discussed in other threads, but feels like it's thread worthy. Two years ago it was insanely obvious that the Bulls were interested in McDermott. It'll be interesting to see if this rumor proves to be true as well.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Re: KC: Bulls Interested in Drafting Dunn 

Post#2 » by MC3 » Wed May 11, 2016 7:21 am

Dunn would be really nice. But we simply dont have assets to move into top 6
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#3 » by HomoSapien » Wed May 11, 2016 7:26 am

MC3 wrote:Dunn would be really nice. But we simply dont have assets to move into top 6

New Orleans could be a target. They have Holiday at the point, and Ryan Anderson is a free-agent. Mirotic and 14 could be a pretty hard deal to turn down.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#4 » by MC3 » Wed May 11, 2016 7:28 am

HomoSapien wrote:
MC3 wrote:Dunn would be really nice. But we simply dont have assets to move into top 6

New Orleans could be a target. They have Holiday at the point, and Ryan Anderson is a free-agent. Mirotic and 14 could be a pretty hard deal to turn down.

When you say it like that. That's only position where we can move on. Ofcourse everything depends where lottery positions end up. Maybe even Suns, if Bulls are willing to take Chandler's contract. They have Bledsoe and Knight at the point and dont have stretch 4.
Threekola
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#5 » by Threekola » Wed May 11, 2016 7:34 am

HomoSapien wrote:

Dunn better be a star if you do that deal. Mirotic is a good player right now.
Rose2Boozer
Starter
And1: 647

Re: KC: Bulls Interested in Drafting Kris Dunn 

Post#6 » by Rose2Boozer » Wed May 11, 2016 7:44 am

If something funny shows up in his medical evaluation, I could see Dunn being available at 14. Hopefully, those two shoulder injuries doesn't comeback to haunt him and he's gone by 14. Dunn is not the type of prospect you trade up to draft.
ROLES & HOLES
JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,591

Post#7 » by JohnnyTapwater » Wed May 11, 2016 9:20 am

I'm really not all that enamored with Dunn.
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#8 » by jax98 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:27 am

I wrote about that, and essentially said that if the Bulls are considering trading up to a spot where Dunn might be available, then they need to explore the possibility of Jamal Murray beforehand:

http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/chicago-bulls/bulls-interested-kris-dunn/
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#9 » by kingkirk » Wed May 11, 2016 9:38 am

Morten Jensen wrote:I wrote about that, and essentially said that if the Bulls are considering trading up to a spot where Dunn might be available, then they need to explore the possibility of Jamal Murray beforehand:

Shameless plug. Should be banned imo.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#10 » by kingkirk » Wed May 11, 2016 9:46 am

HomoSapien wrote:

I'm not sure if this would be a wise decision. I'd rather keep Mirotic and draft Wade Baldwin.

Giving up on Mirotic now if Butler is staying around isn't a good choice. Perhaps if a rebuild was in order but Mirotic could very well be our 2nd best scorer next season.
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#11 » by jax98 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:47 am

Mark K wrote:
Morten Jensen wrote:I wrote about that, and essentially said that if the Bulls are considering trading up to a spot where Dunn might be available, then they need to explore the possibility of Jamal Murray beforehand:

Shameless plug. Should be banned imo.

Go back in green and do it then.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,290

Post#12 » by dumbell78 » Wed May 11, 2016 11:25 am

I generally hate drafting for need, and this sounds like it. Always go BPA and figure the rest out in free agency and trades.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
bentheredengthat
General Manager
And1: 1,606

Post#13 » by bentheredengthat » Wed May 11, 2016 11:52 am

dumbell78 wrote:I generally hate drafting for need, and this sounds like it. Always go BPA and figure the rest out in free agency and trades.

Some front offices don't have those shiny tools in their war chest.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,290

Post#14 » by dumbell78 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:04 pm

bentheredengthat wrote:
dumbell78 wrote:I generally hate drafting for need, and this sounds like it. Always go BPA and figure the rest out in free agency and trades.

Some front offices don't have those shiny tools in their war chest.

This FO never seems to have them.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,640

Post#15 » by DuckIII » Wed May 11, 2016 12:37 pm

I guess I've never considered trading up to draft a particular player as drafting need over BPA.

Regardless, I think it was Red who noted the other day, correctly in my opinion, that "always take BPA over need" is an oversimplified approach. Not saying you never do it of course, and the article notes that the Bulls went BPA with Portis last year despite going into the draft looking for a PG. But a lot goes into who to draft. BPA isn't always the way to go. There's a lot to evaluate.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,254

Post#16 » by TheJordanRule » Wed May 11, 2016 12:46 pm

JohnnyTapwater wrote:I'm really not all that enamored with Dunn.

Any guy who is so turnover prone in college is going to have issues staying on the floor in the NBA. I love Dunn's tools-- he has great size and speed for a combo guard-- and I like his defense. But until the turnovers are fixed, he's an end of the bench rotation piece. Plus his jumpshot is awful. The upside is really high (shades of Westbrook), but the floor seems really low... like, think about how many score-first tweener combo guards "learning" the PG position have failed. Players like Randy Foye, Jerryd Bayless, and Acie Law all had similar strengths and weaknesses and were high draft picks.
MBPKOGZ
Sophomore
And1: 218

Post#17 » by MBPKOGZ » Wed May 11, 2016 12:50 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:
JohnnyTapwater wrote:I'm really not all that enamored with Dunn.

Any guy who is so turnover prone in college is going to have issues staying on the floor in the NBA. I love Dunn's tools-- he has great size and speed for a combo guard-- and I like his defense. But until the turnovers are fixed, he's an end of the bench rotation piece. Plus his jumpshot is awful. The upside is really high (shades of Westbrook), but the floor seems really low... like, think about how many score-first tweener combo guards "learning" the PG position have failed. Players like Randy Foye, Jerryd Bayless, and Acie Law all had similar strengths and weaknesses and were high draft picks.

This is really good point. I haven't followed college ball much this year but I, myself, have always seen Dunn at the 2 moreso than the 1. That would still fill a position of need as long as we slide Butler back to the 3. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving up assets to move that high for Dunn in hopes that he could be a successful NBA point guard when we already have a prototypical pass first guard in range such as Ulis, height be damned!
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,440

Post#18 » by ImSlower » Wed May 11, 2016 1:28 pm

Grouchy Old Mods, in theatres this August!

Mortens article was great. Glad to add another blog to my bookmarks. It sure would be, well, dramatic if our two top stars who happen to be guards saw us move assets to draft a specific guard. My personal needle on the Rose In '17 thread continues to drift deeper into Gone Baby Gone.
drbg43
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

Post#19 » by drbg43 » Wed May 11, 2016 2:05 pm

Where is Dunn expected to go? I found he underwhelmed a bit in the tournament but hey that's all I watched of him.
Thanks to the one and only BullsFan88 for the sig
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,619

Post#20 » by Betta Bulleavit » Wed May 11, 2016 2:13 pm

Not a huge fan. He certainly worth taking at our spot. But trading up to get him would be a mistake given what we'd need to give up. In my opinion, the only guys that I would give up real assets to get are Simmons, Ingram and Heild.

Return to Chicago Bulls