Image ImageImage Image

We Got Denzel Valentine! !

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Chitownbulls
General Manager
And1: 2,463

Re: We Got Denzel Valentine! ! 

Post#901 » by Chitownbulls » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:04 pm

Valentine should be playing 30+min per night in his rookie season. He needs to be showcased just like Niko
DENG HE SUCKS!!!!
Paxson43
Sixth Man
And1: 588

Post#902 » by Paxson43 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:09 pm

jump wrote:
madvillian wrote:
Paxson43 wrote:
If you play with pace and space, you have two legit 3 point shooters that should be putting up at least 6-8 3s a game

McDermott 42.5%, tied for 6th in the Association. He can average about 15 points per game if he gets that volume of 3s up.

And let me tell you something about Doug McDermott... he needs to get his shots up because if/when he gets hot, watch out.

He needs to get his shot up because if he's not scoring he's a massive net negative on the floor. Is what it is. He's basically a poor man's version of Korver (when Korver was a Bull) at this point. Korver has improved his defense since leaving Chicago so maybe Dougie can improve as well.

McDermott ability to score is already way past Korver's. Kyle hits threes off of screens. McD can score in 10 different ways. If he can get his defense up to Korver's level, he will be amazing.

Agreed! This kid is made for this system, he's such a threat from three that when defenses aggressively close out on him, he can get into the paint and do some damage. And really, I meant the more shots he gets up the better he tends to play. He's such a rhythm/feel player and if you want to see him hit his peak, he needs his shots (just like any other NBA player).
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

We Got Denzel Valentine! ! 

Post#903 » by DarthDiggler69 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:49 pm

Chitownbulls wrote:Valentine should be playing 30+min per night in his rookie season. He needs to be showcased just like Niko

Doug as well so he can add more value to his stock. Bulls are gonna lose a bunch playing all these non-defenders but Bulls need to make sure they dont end up as Tony Snells and have near zero value.
bentheredengthat
General Manager
And1: 1,606

Post#904 » by bentheredengthat » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:32 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:So freaking jealous of this pick.

great screenname... that's what I'm naming my next party boat
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,918

Post#905 » by RSP83 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:28 pm

Listened to Valentine's introductory interview earlier this week, he sounds like Common.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#906 » by GimmeDat » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:05 am

Looking good in that Bulls jersey.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHPV8IRA_1M/

There's also a Q&A with him here -

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/qa-denzel-valentine/#DL77sI7ttFYxl1Yc.97

SLAM: What’s your goal for your rookie season?

DV: I wanna win Rookie of the Year. I mean, why not? I feel like I’m the best player if not top 5. I think coming to this team I’m going to be put in great situations to be successful. I wanna go get that Rookie of the Year and hopefully make the Playoffs, and make a championship run. Why not?

Channeling his inner D-Rose ^
IcemanGervin
Veteran
And1: 1,535

Post#907 » by IcemanGervin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:37 am

Valentine is a good guy. Cool name. Smooth game. May buy his jersey.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,599

Post#908 » by Ice Man » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:26 pm

DarthDiggler69 wrote:Doug as well so he can add more value to his stock. Bulls are gonna lose a bunch playing all these non-defenders but Bulls need to make sure they dont end up as Tony Snells and have near zero value.

Playing guys only increases their stock if they play well, in which case we might not wish to trade them.I mean, we played the hell out of Tony Snell, and that did us no good whatsoever.
Paxson43
Sixth Man

Post#909 » by Paxson43 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:24 pm

Ice Man wrote:
DarthDiggler69 wrote:Doug as well so he can add more value to his stock. Bulls are gonna lose a bunch playing all these non-defenders but Bulls need to make sure they dont end up as Tony Snells and have near zero value.

Playing guys only increases their stock if they play well, in which case we might not wish to trade them.I mean, we played the hell out of Tony Snell, and that did us no good whatsoever.

These guys need to first understand how Fred wants them to play, and then they need minutes on the court together. Snell is just mentally soft, unless he changes that approach he'll never have any meaningful success here.

Personally, I'm excited to see what Grant, Valentine, McDermott, Mirotic, and Portis can do with Butler. Having RoLo protecting the rim will be a site for sore eyes as well.

I'm not sleeping on 44+ wins this season.
bulletbill
Bench Warmer
And1: 84

Post#910 » by bulletbill » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:06 pm

As one of the few, if any, Bulls fans that actually wanted Snell in the draft (fml), I see some similarity with Denzel as far as being well rounded/versatile swingmen. Obviously we pray for better results this time ...
Chi-City
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#911 » by Chi-City » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:24 pm

bulletbill wrote:As one of the few, if any, Bulls fans that actually wanted Snell in the draft (fml), I see some similarity with Denzel as far as being well rounded/versatile swingmen. Obviously we pray for better results this time ...

Denzel definitely seems a lot more confident which is what Snell lacked.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#912 » by Red Larrivee » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:34 pm

bulletbill wrote:As one of the few, if any, Bulls fans that actually wanted Snell in the draft (fml), I see some similarity with Denzel as far as being well rounded/versatile swingmen. Obviously we pray for better results this time ...

I see none. Denzel is a **** dog and he's got all-around offensive skill.

Snell offered limited 3D upside and that's all we ever hoped for from him. He never had all-around ability.
bulletbill
Bench Warmer
And1: 84

Post#913 » by bulletbill » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:41 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:

Snell offered limited 3D upside and that's all we ever hoped for from him. He never had all-around ability.

They definitely don't play the same, but the skill sets are fairly similar. Snell has (had) an underrated handle and passing that people seem to forget also good 3 ball. Snell actually has the athletic advantage so we need Denzel to keep that "dog" attitude.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#914 » by Red Larrivee » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:44 pm

bulletbill wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

They definitely don't play the same, but the skill sets are fairly similar. Snell has (had) an underrated handle and passing that people seem to forger, also good 3 ball. Snell actually has the athletic advantage so we need Denzel to keep that "dog" attitude.

Snell was mostly a catch/shoot three-point shooter who could handle some, but not at a high level. He wasn't a creator, or a playmaker, but definitely capable of a lot more than he's translated to the NBA. He was also a really poor rebounder for size, which has carried over.

Valentine is so far ahead of Snell in every category offensively.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#915 » by Stratmaster » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:46 pm

At this point, unless the bulls make some other major acquisition who can immediately be plugged into the starting lineup, I see no reason NOT to start Valentine, Butler, McD, Niko, Lopez. Let them play, let's see what happens when the reins are turned over to the youth, so that we know with some certainty going into 2017-2018 free agency/draft/trading season what we have and what we don't have. Also give Felicio, Grant and Portis significant time off the bench. Assuming we re-sign Moore, Moore and Calderon fill the swing man bench roles.
Paxson43
Sixth Man

Post#916 » by Paxson43 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:19 pm

Stratmaster wrote:At this point, unless the bulls make some other major acquisition who can immediately be plugged into the starting lineup, I see no reason NOT to start Valentine, Butler, McD, Niko, Lopez. Let them play, let's see what happens when the reins are turned over to the youth, so that we know with some certainty going into 2017-2018 free agency/draft/trading season what we have and what we don't have. Also give Felicio, Grant and Portis significant time off the bench. Assuming we re-sign Moore, Moore and Calderon fill the swing man bench roles.

I get the logic but you've got three sub-par defenders in Valentine/McDermott/Mirotic. Unless you're scheming to funnel everything to the middle and banking on RoLo to clean up the mess, that is a lineup that potentially will give up more points than they score.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#917 » by Rerisen » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:35 pm

Paxson43 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:At this point, unless the bulls make some other major acquisition who can immediately be plugged into the starting lineup, I see no reason NOT to start Valentine, Butler, McD, Niko, Lopez. Let them play, let's see what happens when the reins are turned over to the youth, so that we know with some certainty going into 2017-2018 free agency/draft/trading season what we have and what we don't have. Also give Felicio, Grant and Portis significant time off the bench. Assuming we re-sign Moore, Moore and Calderon fill the swing man bench roles.

I get the logic but you've got three sub-par defenders in Valentine/McDermott/Mirotic. Unless you're scheming to funnel everything to the middle and banking on RoLo to clean up the mess, that is a lineup that potentially will give up more points than they score.

Which would be a risky defensive plan as Robin isn't nearly as mobile as Jo in his heyday. The funneling would have to be extremely precise to make sure he didn't have to cover a lot of ground to make a defensive play, or you'd end up with a lot of Pau situations, who was a decent obstacle himself, but too frequently people just went around him, pulled up short, etc, and he couldn't move in time to make a play.

It seems the Bulls have almost purposely positioned themselves where they can argue for overpaying Barnes, for how bad we need another versatile defender in the lineup. :-?
The Force.
Head Coach
And1: 2,112

Post#918 » by The Force. » Fri Jul 1, 2016 2:39 am

I think they will experiment a lot with either Doug or Niko starting at PF. I don't see them both starting together though.
Paxson43
Sixth Man

Post#919 » by Paxson43 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 3:24 am

The Force. wrote:I think they will experiment a lot with either Doug or Niko starting at PF. I don't see them both starting together though.

I think they should, one of our best lineups last year was Butler/Gasol/McDermott/Mirotic... swap Gasol out with Lopez and I'd argue you got that much better defensively.
The Force.
Head Coach
And1: 2,112

Post#920 » by The Force. » Fri Jul 1, 2016 3:42 am

Paxson43 wrote:
The Force. wrote:I think they will experiment a lot with either Doug or Niko starting at PF. I don't see them both starting together though.

I think they should, one of our best lineups last year was Butler/Gasol/McDermott/Mirotic... swap Gasol out with Lopez and I'd argue you got that much better defensively.

I wouldn't mind them playing together, in fact, I would prefer it. That team would be super fun on offense while managing to lose enough games for a legit tank. Two birds with one stone.

Return to Chicago Bulls