Image ImageImage Image

Worst time to be a Bulls fan?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,697

Re: Re: Worst time to be a Bulls fan? 

Post#61 » by nitetrain8603 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:36 pm

InsideInfo wrote:
DuckIII wrote:Oh god, this isn't even close. Hell, this is better than the year Rose refused to suit up for the playoffs. The Ben Wallace meltdown year was worse than this.

I don't like being so stereotypical, but if this is to you the worst time to ever be a Bulls fan then:

(a) You are not young enough to remember the horrifying and widely varied details of late summer 1998 through fall of 2004. You think this is dysfunction? We're the **** Brady Bunch compared to that mess.
(b) Or a super huge Rose fan.
(c) Or both.

I actually worked for the bulls for 9 years, and I was hired between 98 and 04. Prior to working for them I was a huge fan. I watched when Ron Mercer was our best player. I remember when ERobb played for the hornents before we signed him. So my age and memory isn't the issue.

I am a fan or rose, but I'm not delusional. He was going to walk after this year and we needed to move on. Doesn't make it any less bitter.

Yes this is dysfunctional....from top to bottom. Our owner, Gm, coach, roster....its all a mess.

I agree with you on this if this is where you're getting at - in 2000, we had a plan and Krause never sat on his ass. He was very progressive instead of reactionary. He got the picks he wanted, he cut the bad salaries, made tough decisions on Kukoc and gave himself a blank canvas to go to work on. It wasn't the Picasso he imagined, but he successfully did half the job. He knew he had to build through the draft (those drafts sucked though, not his fault) and then fill in the gaps with FA.

Gar is exactly the opposite. He's very reactionary, and instead of giving himself a blank slate, he won't ever take the chance and instead likes to keep the car running, regardless if it's going to break down soon. He rather wait until that point.

This period is about to be more frustrating to me for that reason, but sucking back then was horrid simply because nothing was working.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using RealGM mobile app
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Worst time to be a Bulls fan? 

Post#62 » by DarthDiggler69 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:50 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:
InsideInfo wrote:
DuckIII wrote:Oh god, this isn't even close. Hell, this is better than the year Rose refused to suit up for the playoffs. The Ben Wallace meltdown year was worse than this.

I don't like being so stereotypical, but if this is to you the worst time to ever be a Bulls fan then:

(a) You are not young enough to remember the horrifying and widely varied details of late summer 1998 through fall of 2004. You think this is dysfunction? We're the **** Brady Bunch compared to that mess.
(b) Or a super huge Rose fan.
(c) Or both.

I actually worked for the bulls for 9 years, and I was hired between 98 and 04. Prior to working for them I was a huge fan. I watched when Ron Mercer was our best player. I remember when ERobb played for the hornents before we signed him. So my age and memory isn't the issue.

I am a fan or rose, but I'm not delusional. He was going to walk after this year and we needed to move on. Doesn't make it any less bitter.

Yes this is dysfunctional....from top to bottom. Our owner, Gm, coach, roster....its all a mess.

I agree with you on this if this is where you're getting at - in 2000, we had a plan and Krause never sat on his ass. He was very progressive instead of reactionary. He got the picks he wanted, he cut the bad salaries, made tough decisions on Kukoc and gave himself a blank canvas to go to work on. It wasn't the Picasso he imagined, but he successfully did half the job. He knew he had to build through the draft (those drafts sucked though, not his fault) and then fill in the gaps with FA.

Gar is exactly the opposite. He's very reactionary, and instead of giving himself a blank slate, he won't ever take the chance and instead likes to keep the car running, regardless if it's going to break down soon. He rather wait until that point.

This period is about to be more frustrating to me for that reason, but sucking back then was horrid simply because nothing was working.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using RealGM mobile app

Yeah people can hate the man all you want, but from 1999-2003 Jerry Krause had a plan and usually did want needed to be done, kept things very interesting.

Gar is just collecting paychecls
sicko
Senior
And1: 99

Re: Worst time to be a Bulls fan? 

Post#63 » by sicko » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:53 pm

98-2004 was the worst time to be a Bulls Fan

In a very weak East we could still be a 7th-8th Seed playoff team if not higher if Mirotic, McDermott, Portis and Felicio have a break out season and develop into good players. But I remember teams that was just flat out AWFUL during 98-2004
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#64 » by donaldtrump_00 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:09 pm

Ferulci wrote:I think it is. I had hopes during Curry/Chandler era (they could turn out to be good), the year before D.Rose (we could get a good pick) or during ACL seasons (we will be good when he gets back). Right now I have absolutely no hopes for us unless we reach Top Pick next year.

I want to say its at its worse now but I clearly stopped watching basketball after 98. Well I didn't stop just had no desire to watch anything outside of the bulls. I felt mj should've played one more year. That was by far the worse time for the bulls. I remember talking to my friend and he was saying after we had brand and artest that crawford good but we had three more years of rebuilding b4 we got back good. He was right but we got derailed after we traded brand. That tells you right there I was done for awhile with chi. I didn't know who crawford was. Nor artest. I actually wanted steve francis.

When you a die hard fan those times killed you. Least we still currently have butler and mcdermott, mirotic. Lopez, and valentine seems bright. We have felicio who I'm really looking at. Ill hold off talks on grant. He's a idk what to expect player. Hopefully we add another free agent worth signing. Idk why we don't get will barton from denver. They have so many players at his position. Id give the sac pick for him straight up. He's a future star.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#65 » by Leslie Forman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:13 pm

Those early 2000s were bad, but the 90s were so amazing that really, eh. Combined with all the draft picks you knew were coming, there was a lot of hope, albeit misplaced.

The problem now is that it feels like this franchise is basically becoming the Chicago Bobcats. The top free agents still won't sign here, but now there aren't even going to be really high draft picks.

The only thing that'd make things enjoyable is Jimmy Butler just going hogwild, scoring tons of points and yelling at Hoiberg and all the crappy young talent on the team. At least that'd be fun to watch.
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#66 » by donaldtrump_00 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:22 pm

tong po wrote:Those early 2000s were bad, but the 90s were so amazing that really, eh. Combined with all the draft picks you knew were coming, there was a lot of hope, albeit misplaced.

The problem now is that it feels like this franchise is basically becoming the Chicago Bobcats. The top free agents still won't sign here, but now there aren't even going to be really high draft picks.

The only thing that'd make things enjoyable is Jimmy Butler just going hogwild, scoring tons of points and yelling at Hoiberg and all the crappy young talent on the team. At least that'd be fun to watch.

Least you know that he's going to be pissed. Id like to see butled just say eff it and go kobe bryant. Someone will come here if he's the leading scorer in the league
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#67 » by Susan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:27 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:Bulls fans make this the worst time to be a Bulls fan. We aren't in the best of spots. But it could be a ton worse.

This. The only 'worst' happening right now are the fans.

Do explain.
RebuildaBulls
Analyst
And1: 756

Post#68 » by RebuildaBulls » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:11 am

I liked 1998-2004 days, had great times talking about lottery picks, trades and free agents. Bulls never been more active and all the Bulls boards had the hardest of the hardcore Bulls fans around, made for great conversations.

Last season was the worst in my 30+ years watching. I hated our team and future looked the bleakest Ive ever seen it since Bulls had no high lottery pick or good trade pieces. They arent even out of it yet but missing playoffs and trading Rose was a start
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#69 » by kingkirk » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:26 am

Add this to the long list of entitlement Bulls fans have. If this is our worst point, it's kind of sad considering what other franchises have dealt with.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#70 » by Hangtime84 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:31 am

murphs5150 wrote:I must be old because the Worst time to be a bulls fan was before they drafted Jordan. Doped up Quintin Dailey sitting on the bench and eating. Most of the team were high.

:nonono: :lol:
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
chicagoballer
Sixth Man
And1: 210

Post#71 » by chicagoballer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:52 am

I have been a bulls fan since 99. Even in the post-MJ era we had a team of players who tried, the scrappy teams of skiles, the underdogs who made us believe that we were playing to win. Even though we were outmatched at times, we had ben gordon's wild shots, lucas hitting fadeaways over Lebron, so many wins through pure will.

This is without a question my worst time as a bulls fan. It is not due to the talent we currently have on the roster. D. Rose, our savior, essentially gave up on basketball. If you watched the last season, you can tell he stopped playing defense and priority was preserving health, adequately playing enough minutes to get his bulls and adidas paycheck. When the leader of your team quits on you, and the coaching staff/GM feed BS to the fans for the entire season, they have failed the fans.

This season actually made me loose interest in basketball altogether. We as fans sacrifice our time and money to support this team, and in return, players provide entertainment in form of hard work in their sport. They let us down and expect us again to watch another year of tank basketball. You cant win a championship every year, but you damn sure can get a group of guys who will lay it all on the line for the millions of dollars a year they are making from our support/time.

some people may believe that tanking will net us a star in the draft or get Gar fired. I say that is not the thinking of a winning team. The front office should feel pressure from us to get their/our team sorted... mainly from the threat of losing fans. We build championship teams through players who work hard and want to win. Screw the talk about nba purgatory. Its time for a new front office. Garpax had their chances and now its time to step aside.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#72 » by dice » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:30 am

chicagoballer wrote:I have been a bulls fan since 99

may be the first time that sentence has ever been typed, written or uttered

i didn't watch the bulls post dynasty until skiles started putting things together. wasn't the most talented team, but they played the right way. for some reason i think of malik allen
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
chicagoballer
Sixth Man
And1: 210

Post#73 » by chicagoballer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:54 am

dice wrote:
chicagoballer wrote:I have been a bulls fan since 99

may be the first time that sentence has ever been typed, written or uttered

i didn't watch the bulls post dynasty until skiles started putting things together. wasn't the most talented team, but they played the right way. for some reason i think of malik allen

More an outcome of circumstance. I moved to the states and chicago in 1998/1999. pretty much right after the bulls won the championship. The excitement was still lingering in the air. I was pumped up and excited to be a part of it, but the party was already over haha.

There are varying definitions of fandom, none are absolutely correct; but to me, I will always support my hometown team as long as they play hard. Even the year they started something like 0-9 and made the playoffs, watched every game. In fact, I have watched about 75-80 regular season games every year up until the last couple years. The lack of effort and front office dysfunction is disheartening and has a feeling of betrayal to the fans.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,142

Post#74 » by CjayC » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:18 am

Reinsdorf is old and probably doesn't want to see Bulls start over with a bunch of young kids playing.

Thank God for the Bears. Can Ryan Pace come over? No results yet, but that man has a plan.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#75 » by JordansBulls » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:35 am

We need to go for Dwight and Wade and then we can let go of Pau and Noah. Have a trio of Jimmy (the Lebron stopper), Wade and Dwight.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#76 » by Jcool0 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:38 am

JordansBulls wrote:We need to go for Dwight and Wade and then we can let go of Pau and Noah. Have a trio of Jimmy (the Lebron stopper), Wade and Dwight.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fn36l_z3WY[/youtube]
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#77 » by Leslie Forman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:44 am

Mark K wrote:Add this to the long list of entitlement Bulls fans have. If this is our worst point, it's kind of sad considering what other franchises have dealt with.

Nah it makes plenty of sense.

Casuals, sure, they'd just like as many wins as possible, but nerds like us can find plenty of things to get hyped about when it comes to a tanking team. If this was the early 2000s, there would be tons of discussion about the draft, upcoming prospects, etc. If you're a basketball nerd, which I'd say anybody reading a basketball forum on a regular basis is, it's easy to at least get interested in the draft and young prospects. Talking about how Jose Calderon and Robin Lopez will contribute is understandably not the most exciting thing to discuss.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#78 » by dice » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:11 am

CjayC wrote:Reinsdorf is old and probably doesn't want to see Bulls start over with a bunch of young kids playing.

Thank God for the Bears. Can Ryan Pace come over? No results yet, but that man has a plan.

:-?
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,142

Post#79 » by CjayC » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:06 am

dice wrote:
CjayC wrote:Reinsdorf is old and probably doesn't want to see Bulls start over with a bunch of young kids playing.

:-?

For real. I'd rather pay attention to a young promising team this fall that has a plan in place versus a treadmill runner.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#80 » by kingkirk » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:19 am

tong po wrote:Nah it makes plenty of sense.

Casuals, sure, they'd just like as many wins as possible, but nerds like us can find plenty of things to get hyped about when it comes to a tanking team. If this was the early 2000s, there would be tons of discussion about the draft, upcoming prospects, etc. If you're a basketball nerd, which I'd say anybody reading a basketball forum on a regular basis is, it's easy to at least get interested in the draft and young prospects. Talking about how Jose Calderon and Robin Lopez will contribute is understandably not the most exciting thing to discuss.

There's a substantial difference between not being excited and this period being 'the worst time ever'. This whiny thread reeks of recency bias.

Return to Chicago Bulls