Image ImageImage Image

Reinsdorf: Joakim Not a Frontline Guy Anymore; Pg7 Noah: It was kind of a low blow

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,311

Re: Reinsdorf: Joakim Not a Frontline Guy Anymore 

Post#41 » by coldfish » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:38 am

The reality is that there are only 30 NBA franchises. That means the owners can be douchebags and get away with it for the most part (unless you go to Sterling level). Its not like fans, players and coaches can go to the other Chicago franchise or something.

Jerry is an ass though.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#42 » by Ralphb07 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:08 am

I'm alone but I had no problem with what Jerry said and wish most were as up front as him. All he said was they felt Jo wasn't a front line guy anymore. People get on Gar for being the opposite so it seems like the Bulls are in a cant win situation PR wise with the fans...

If he went into more detail I could see it being an issue but he didn't... If he was an ass like some have said I don't think you'd see Jackson represent him last night in the HOF or guys like MJ, Scottie, etc be so close to him.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,132

Post#43 » by molepharmer » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:17 pm

While it doesn't read particularly complimentary, I think both paragraphs/statements are about the Rose trade and why they made it. So cherry picking simply the Noah part makes it sounds much worse. They felt that with Gasol gone and Noah not being a frontline guy (e.g. 30-35mpg, 70+ games), they needed to get a center (Lopez) in the Rose trade. Getting Grant made the trade more appealing.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,311

Post#44 » by coldfish » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:05 pm

Someone correct me if I am wrong:
- At one point, the Bulls stated that Pau was a core player. They refused to trade him. They seemed to think he was coming back.
- After it became apparent that Pau wanted nothing to do with Chicago anymore, rumors started flying around that they were going to rebuild around Noah. That started to fizzle out when it became apparent that Noah was leaving too.

The Rose trade for Lopez was not some great pre-planning. The Bulls didn't decide to move on from Noah. Noah decided to move on from the Bulls. I'll give the FO a lot of credit for quickly adjusting and making the best of the situation but let's be clear:

JERRY IS LYING

This is a combination of sour grapes and spin. The Bulls didn't decide that Noah wasn't a front line player. Noah decided that he was out of here. Jerry is making an absolute ass out of himself and GarPax here because just about no one expects Robin Lopez to have a better year than Noah if Jo remains healthy.

It amazes me how much spin comes out of management. At one point, the reason why Hoiberg was a miserable failure as a coach was the fact that Noah was hurt. Now that Noah said "F U" and moved on, he isn't even a front line player.

At a minimum, the Bulls should get together and make sure their stories line up.
Air Poohdini
Assistant Coach
And1: 328

Post#45 » by Air Poohdini » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:30 pm

I can't argue because we all know it's true.
If Dennis Rodman drove a truck, he'd give all the refs a ride!
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#46 » by jc23 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:35 pm

Bulls are no longer a frontline team.
Be curious, Not judgmental
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,852

Post#47 » by AirP. » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:31 pm

coldfish wrote:Someone correct me if I am wrong:
- At one point, the Bulls stated that Pau was a core player. They refused to trade him. They seemed to think he was coming back.
- After it became apparent that Pau wanted nothing to do with Chicago anymore, rumors started flying around that they were going to rebuild around Noah. That started to fizzle out when it became apparent that Noah was leaving too.

The Rose trade for Lopez was not some great pre-planning. The Bulls didn't decide to move on from Noah. Noah decided to move on from the Bulls. I'll give the FO a lot of credit for quickly adjusting and making the best of the situation but let's be clear:

JERRY IS LYING

This is a combination of sour grapes and spin. The Bulls didn't decide that Noah wasn't a front line player. Noah decided that he was out of here. Jerry is making an absolute ass out of himself and GarPax here because just about no one expects Robin Lopez to have a better year than Noah if Jo remains healthy.

It amazes me how much spin comes out of management. At one point, the reason why Hoiberg was a miserable failure as a coach was the fact that Noah was hurt. Now that Noah said "F U" and moved on, he isn't even a front line player.

At a minimum, the Bulls should get together and make sure their stories line up.

Please understand, in business the people at the top only know what's presented to them by the people they've put in charge. What you hear from Jerry is what the FO has told him so instead of hearing what Jerry "thinks" based on unfiltered information, you're actually hearing what the FO has told him. The reason he was so angry at Thibs.... it's because that's what the people he put in charge below him told him was going on.

So keep talking about this stuff JR, we're getting some insight to the FO spin he receives. There's no way Thibs deserved the sendoff from the Bulls JR gave him but you can see how bad the FO trashed him to the owner.
TyrusRose2425
Head Coach
And1: 4,589

Post#48 » by TyrusRose2425 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:45 pm

JERRY IS LYING

yep they worked hard to repair the damaged relationship with Noah. It kind of worked but not everything was patched up so they went with Robin Lopez in fear Noah would walk.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#49 » by Ralphb07 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:55 pm

TyrusRose2425 wrote:

JERRY IS LYING

yep they worked hard to repair the damaged relationship with Noah. It kind of worked but not everything was patched up so they went with Robin Lopez in fear Noah would walk.

Ty, didn't I say all season that both Noah and Pau were gone via text between us and that they wanted to get younger at C?

They turned down the Sac trade because they didn't want to dip into the summers cap space and valued Pau expiring over eating that space for Koufos. No team is going to come out during the season and say player Y and X are no longer in our plans.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,638

Post#50 » by DuckIII » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:46 pm

All of the positive Noah and Pau talk was blatant PR and they never, ever had any intention of bringing either of them back. I still can't believe anyone believes a word of that. And the way things unfolded confirms it.

You can add Rose to that too. When the FO refused to trade Pau to avoid taking salary back, that was the moment they decided they were done with Noah, Rose and Pau.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#51 » by logical_art » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:14 pm

Bulls fans: Reinsdorf never was a frontline owner.
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,661
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#52 » by waffle » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:43 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:I'm alone but I had no problem with what Jerry said and wish most were as up front as him. All he said was they felt Jo wasn't a front line guy anymore. People get on Gar for being the opposite so it seems like the Bulls are in a cant win situation PR wise with the fans...

If he went into more detail I could see it being an issue but he didn't... If he was an ass like some have said I don't think you'd see Jackson represent him last night in the HOF or guys like MJ, Scottie, etc be so close to him.

AS USUAL

Ralph and I agree

Saw no problem with it. He described his thinking (and likely the teams) and how it played into their decision. Not a problem
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,661
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#53 » by waffle » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:46 pm

DuckIII wrote:All of the positive Noah and Pau talk was blatant PR and they never, ever had any intention of bringing either of them back. I still can't believe anyone believes a word of that. And the way things unfolded confirms it.

You can add Rose to that too. When the FO refused to trade Pau to avoid taking salary back, that was the moment they decided they were done with Noah, Rose and Pau.

Well, that might have had something to do with keeping their trade values up/keeping the knowledge close to the vest. In the same position I think I would say much the same thing "we have every interest in having (X) come back to play for us next year"

Or not

Those are 3 players I am glad are not going to be back. At their level of play at their price at our current situation. No problem with it.

That we got something back for Rose? Yikers.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#54 » by transplant » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:29 pm

Ctownbulls wrote:It's true. Doesn't mean you need to say it.

Ok, but Reinsdorf was speaking honestly. Someone needs to give me a manual on when honesty is good and when it's bad. God knows that if anyone in Bulls management says anything that folks here don't believe, the board goes crazy.

I suggest that instead we consider the content of Reinsdorf's comments. If he's right about Noah (and I think he is), then what the FO makes sense (and I think it does).

Do you want public figures to answer questions honestly or do you want BS? You're going to get BS most times. Can you really not handle the truth?
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,715

Re: RE: Re: Reinsdorf: Joakim Not a Frontline Guy Anymore 

Post#55 » by Ctownbulls » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:32 pm

transplant wrote:

Ok, but Reinsdorf was speaking honestly. Someone needs to give me a manual on when honesty is good and when it's bad. God knows that if anyone in Bulls management says anything that folks here don't believe, the board goes crazy.

I suggest that instead we consider the content of Reinsdorf's comments. If he's right about Noah (and I think he is), then what the FO makes sense (and I think it does).

Do you want public figures to answer questions honestly or do you want BS? You're going to get BS most times. Can you really not handle the truth?

I never complained about the moves this off season. You are taking it a little far.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#56 » by kyrv » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:32 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:I'm alone but I had no problem with what Jerry said and wish most were as up front as him. All he said was they felt Jo wasn't a front line guy anymore. People get on Gar for being the opposite so it seems like the Bulls are in a cant win situation PR wise with the fans...

Ralphb07 wrote:
TyrusRose2425 wrote:

JERRY IS LYING

Ty, didn't I say all season that both Noah and Pau were gone via text between us and that they wanted to get younger at C?

They turned down the Sac trade because they didn't want to dip into the summers cap space and valued Pau expiring over eating that space for Koufos. No team is going to come out during the season and say player Y and X are no longer in our plans.

I agree with Ralph. The Bulls said and did what the vast vast majority wanted.

As Duck said, the fact they actually got something for Rose... :bowdown:
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#57 » by transplant » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:34 pm

Ctownbulls wrote:
transplant wrote:

I never complained about the moves this off season. You are taking it a little far.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You were the last comment on the string. I wasn't aiming at our comment specifically.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
kyrv
RealGM

Post#58 » by kyrv » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:38 pm

jStuNNa wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
jStuNNa wrote:Good luck recruiting star free agents if that's how you're going to talk about them after they're gone.

In a league where LeBron is playing for an owner who called him "heartless" and "disloyal," it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Because Dan Gilbert has passion. He was angry. He cared greatly and was upset. People, especially competitors, can respect things that are said or done during a time of overwhelming emotion.

But Reinsdorf is a guy who just doesn't get it and will never appeal to the younger generation of NBA players.

Mark Cuban appealled to the younger generation. Warm city. World class city. No state taxes.

Let's list the great young players he signed. You start.

Players interact very little with owners.

No player is going to Cleveland out of respect for Gilbert. None.
JeremyB0001
General Manager
And1: 810

Post#59 » by JeremyB0001 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:40 pm

DuckIII wrote:All of the positive Noah and Pau talk was blatant PR and they never, ever had any intention of bringing either of them back. I still can't believe anyone believes a word of that. And the way things unfolded confirms it.

This is my take on it as well. The Bulls can't win. When they bend the truth for PR purposes (e.g. the trade deadline comments about Pau) they're liars or idiots whose plans fell through. When they speak frankly (e.g. these Noah comments) they're classless jerks who don't understand political correctness.
kyrv
RealGM

Post#60 » by kyrv » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:42 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
TheStig wrote:I don't understand the need to take a shot at Noah on the way out. The guy gave the Bulls a discount on his last deal and was the face of the franchise for a couple of years.

I absolutely do not believe Uncle Jerry was "taking a shot" at Noah. He was trying to articulate a rational basis for those offseason moves, and did. He just didn't phrase it as politically as he should have.

Not a good look.

That's how I see it as well. Actions speak louder than words anyway. Bulls never made an offer to and supposedly Noah knew he was gone way before the Knicks came into the picture.

Not a wise thing to say, but whatever.

jStuNNa wrote:Good luck recruiting star free agents if that's how you're going to talk about them after they're gone.

In a league where LeBron is playing for an owner who called him "heartless" and "disloyal," it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Yep.

JR also has been at the point where he's not going to waste any of his remaining time rearranging words so fans can't interpret things negatively.

His comments were captain obvious type comments. For us. For more casual fans, it was a very honest and concise explanation.

Return to Chicago Bulls