Image ImageImage Image

Post trade, what do you think the guard rotation should be?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Chi
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,376

Re: Post trade, what do you think the guard rotation should be? 

Post#21 » by Chi » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:15 pm

It'll be interesting to see 2 triple double threats coming off the bench in MCW and Valentine backing up the 3 triple double threats we have in the starting lineup.
Chi
Lead Assistant

Post#22 » by Chi » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:19 pm

I also like Canaan and Dinwiddie. And I think Grant has potential for the future.

One way or the other our 3rd string is going to be the best it's been, maybe ever... Gotta Love the depth.
khufure
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#23 » by khufure » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:42 pm

Honestly? Flexible. It's way too early to make roster rotations. We'll know by the all-star break. Until then play everyone and see what works.
matt3254
Bench Warmer
And1: 407

Post#24 » by matt3254 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:34 pm

I was really hoping to see Canaan in the rotation. He seemed the most confident and he had a consistent drive as far as being energetically involved in every play. He showed very good "get after it" defense. He also seemed to mesh well with whoever was on the court with him. Those things are very important to have in rotational players and they're rare to see in rookie players.

I also like Grant mostly for his higher developed offensive skill set than Canaan, I did see some flaws such as being invisible on the court for a few stretches. He doesn't appear to be primed yet but it's hard to ignore offensive skills. I'd say he's next in line to get some playing time.

Dimwiddie didn't really catch my eye with anything particular, maybe that means he's the best all-around guy or maybe not. I know he had a few good games but I remember a couple games back where he did nothing and was completely invisible. I'm gonna pay closer attention to him tonight.

MCW feels like he's just automatically gonna get the backup spot just because. I don't agree but I don't disagree either. From what I hear, he's a terrible player and I also get an in-explainable bad vibe from him. He did win ROY though and he has the most experience. He's coming from crap markets to his first major one, could be just what he needs.

I haven't seen Valentine play yet but I'll take everyone's word here that he's good to go, at least until I see him play.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#25 » by MrSparkle » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:59 pm

No brainer to me... MCW is the most legitimate backup we now have for Rondo. I bet they're gonna want to utilize Canaan's 3P spacing more and play some faster/smaller line-ups, and they can do that if MCW covers SGs.

Rondo MCW (Canaan)
Wade Canaan (Jimmy) Valentine
Jimmy Doug (Zipser)
Taj Niko Zipser
Lopez (Taj) Felicio

I kind of seeing this depth chart for 12 guys. I don't think that Dinwiddie, Grant and Portis are gonna see a whole lot of action until injuries happen.
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,160

Post#26 » by SHO'NUFF » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:03 am

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:
FriedRise wrote:The formula:
- Start games with your all-defensive veterans
- Use a balanced lineup (equal shooting / defense) during the long middle portions. Have at least 2 shooters during this stretch, any combination of Doug, Niko, Valentine, Zipser, and/or Canaan depending on who's available.
- End games with all-defensive + 1 shooter mixed in, whoever's hot. If they all stink, play Taj.
- Always have at least 2 playmakers on the floor at any time
- Always have at least 1 Alpha on the floor at any time
- Always have at least one of Wade or Butler on the floor at any time
- Always have Wade finish quarters, but rest him during the middle quarters

1st / 3rd
Start - 3m: Rondo / Wade / Butler / Taj / Lopez
3m - 6m: Rondo / Butler / McDermott / Niko / Lopez
6m - 9m: MCW / Butler / McDermott / Niko / Taj
9m - end: MCW / Wade / Valentine / Taj / Felicio

2nd / 4th
Start - 3m: MCW / Wade / Valentine / Taj / Felicio
3m - 6m: Rondo / Butler / McDermott / Niko / Lopez
6m - 9m: Rondo / Butler / McDermott / Niko / Lopez
9m - end: Rondo / Wade / Butler / Shooter / Lopez

Minutes distribution:
Rondo (30m) / MCW (18m)
Wade (24m) / Butler (24m)
Butler (12m) / McDermott (24m) / Valentine (12m)
Taj (24m) / Niko (24m)
Lopez (30m) / Felicio (12m) / Taj (6m)

Reserves for injuries or need: Portis, Dinwiddie, Grant, Canaan, Zipser

Right now, Butler is at 36m while Wade is at 24m. Those minutes should be redistributed to be around 34m for Butler and 29m for Wade. Doug's PT should be reduced to be closer to 20m to account for that.

I can't disagree more with starting Taj. That starting unit needs all the spacing it can get, and also Niko is in a contract year so we need to once and for all put him in a major role so we can determine if we should pay him or move him at the deadline.

Niko is not a starter in this league but unfortunately with our Roster he may need to start. I'd personally still start Taj.
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
Bandit King
Analyst
And1: 1,145

Post#27 » by Bandit King » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:53 am

Rondo/MCW
Wade/Valentine
Chicago Bulls Basketball - The Continuity
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,949

Post#28 » by Axl Rose » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:28 am

Rondo/MCW/Cannan/Dinwiddie
Wade/Valentine/Jimmy
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
Chi
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by Chi » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:50 am

MCW and Canaan seem like they'll be able to lock down on the defensive end.

And if that's true they will be deadly 2 way players off the bench for us...
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Post#30 » by sco » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:56 pm

It will be interesting to see how guard situation evolves. It was really ashame that Valentine got hurt and that MCW is joining so late into preseason. To me, the best bench combo is Canaan and Valentine. Canaan's 3-D game plus ball handling makes him the a natural fit next to Valentine's playmaking.

My big concern is that a line-up featuring Valentine, Doug and Niko. I still think Taj anchoring the defense of the bench is our best bet. Sign me up for Canaan, Valentine, McDermott, Taj, Cris off the bench. I'd be fine with MCW beating out Canaan or Valentine, but he's gotta win that time.

Portis, Grant, Zipser and Dinwiddie all have shown potential to ultimately be rotational guys and may develop over the season.
:clap:
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#31 » by ATRAIN53 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:41 pm

Man, I can't believe that we went from Rose, Brooks and Moore-

To D Wade, Rondo, MCW, Grant and Dimwiddie!

Talk about depth and talk about guys who can attack the basket.
What is wade @ 6/7 per game?
MCW can take it there and so can Dimwiddie.

even Rondo if he wants. but he seems to enjoy his role of setting everyone else up and rebounding.

We're actually overloaded. Guys aren't going to get the consistent minutes they crave. It's up to Wade and Rondo to get the message to those guys that depth means more than minutes, esp as the season drags on.

You can see Dimwiddie really trying to fit in and make friends with Wade. I like this kid and adding MCW takes the minutes I thought this kid would get. But watching him on the bench chatting with Wade he's like that little kid trying to make new friends and prove he can play. I like that attitude.

I would not be surprised to see offers come in for him inf MCW looks good. He has something special about him and I want to see it against other starters. I could see calls for Grant too if he's not getting any time.

lets get this season going already, I can't wait.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Post#32 » by sco » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:51 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:Man, I can't believe that we went from Rose, Brooks and Moore-

To D Wade, Rondo, MCW, Grant and Dimwiddie!

Talk about depth and talk about guys who can attack the basket.
What is wade @ 6/7 per game?
MCW can take it there and so can Dimwiddie.

even Rondo if he wants. but he seems to enjoy his role of setting everyone else up and rebounding.

We're actually overloaded. Guys aren't going to get the consistent minutes they crave. It's up to Wade and Rondo to get the message to those guys that depth means more than minutes, esp as the season drags on.

You can see Dimwiddie really trying to fit in and make friends with Wade. I like this kid and adding MCW takes the minutes I thought this kid would get. But watching him on the bench chatting with Wade he's like that little kid trying to make new friends and prove he can play. I like that attitude.

I would not be surprised to see offers come in for him inf MCW looks good. He has something special about him and I want to see it against other starters. I could see calls for Grant too if he's not getting any time.

lets get this season going already, I can't wait.

I hope the Bulls give out-of-rotation guys some d-league time. I think stints would help Grant, Zipser and even Bobby improve their games.
:clap:
Fastbrk4brkfast
General Manager
And1: 2,742

Post#33 » by Fastbrk4brkfast » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:54 pm

I spent some time looking at the Bulls preseason stats today. Even though yeah it's only preseason they're still helpful. A lot of these decisions are actually pretty obvious.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/stats/CHI/chicago-bulls/preseason/2016?&_1:col_1=12&_1:col_2=15

For one, Spencer Dinwiddie is clearly the odd man out of the point guard rotation, not Grant. I like Spence, and his under-control game easily passes the eyeball test but the fact is he has not made a single 3 pointer in preseason. Grant's shooting 41% from 3 with about equal numbers of turnovers, assists and way more rebounds than Spence. I hope we can keep Spence around, maybe let him work on his 3 pt shot in D-league and call him up in case of injury. But the PG rotation is pretty open and shut.

We might see Grant quite a bit because we're actually a little thin at backup SG. It's not necessarily a problem though. ) our backup SGs are Canaan and Valentine. Valentine's preseason injury will likely set him back a few weeks. Canaan is really good but it'll be tough fitting him in some nights because of matchups. That means MCW might become our primary backup at shooting guard, not point guard like we're assuming.

I'd expect to see MCW as the first backcourt guy off the bench replacing Wade and Doug the 2nd replacing Jimmy. That will leave PG minutes open for Grant and allow Fred to decide between using Canaan and Valentine any given night according to how the matchups work out. So:

PG: Rondo - Grant
SG: Wade - MCW - Canaan/Valentine
SF: Butler - McDermott

Return to Chicago Bulls