Image ImageImage Image

New Interviews With a Couple of Bulls Oldheads

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,284

Re: New Interviews With a Couple of Bulls Oldheads 

Post#41 » by prolific passer » Thu Sep 8, 2022 9:11 pm

Axl Rose wrote:
erlim wrote:There’s a recent podcast with Ben Gordon, but I didn’t post it; it’s really unsettling and he seems very out of sorts…There was a lot of stuff with Nocioni during the olympics but when I ask my wife from Spain if she’d tell me what he’s saying, just says, “no, learn Spanish.”

I actually enjoyed the BG interview. I wish he spoke about his Detroit days as i want to know what he thinks went wrong. Was it the ankle injury? The inconsistent role?

I was also surprised to hear him say that he think this era is is soft and speak down on it. I feel the current NBA would be perfect for him. I thought his eyes would light up at the idea of having a green light to take 10 threes a game from anywhere.

They were talking about players managing money and Gordon mentions a guy that came straight out of high school that was giving out blank checks to his friends....Sounds very much like Eddy Curry :lol:

BG7's life went down a dark whole as did his career after he left the bulls. Seems to be doing better now as I believe he was at a bulls summer camp for kids just recently.
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,052

Post#42 » by erlim » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:51 pm

Here's a few recent long form interviews with Will Purdue; seems somewhat bitter about his Bulls days, never having enough support or recognition, being Jerry Krauses' 'guy' before Kukoc, his mentorship by Dave Corzine, feeling alienated when he was having his 'best' season and they traded for Luc Longley, and being absolutely in love his Spurs days where he found himself...also a pretty neat anecdote being recognized by MJ way after their careers were over.

erlim
Lead Assistant

Post#43 » by erlim » Thu Dec 1, 2022 3:26 pm

Wellp, Jim Boylan's reign seems ridiculous.

erlim
Lead Assistant

Post#44 » by erlim » Thu Dec 1, 2022 3:29 pm

Speaking of JJ Reddick and his Old Man and the Three podcast; Joakim Noah's recent appearance was great. First time I've heard him talk about early Bulls stuff, before Rose arrived. Of course, there's some great tidbits on Rose. Really makes me sad to think back about how much the media and some fans turned on him. Seems like all he really wanted to do was win.

erlim
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by erlim » Thu Dec 1, 2022 3:36 pm

This one is an absolute gem. Derrick is on Math Hoffa's podcast. He usually has musical artists on, but DRose showed up to do an interview and is extremely candid. From his tell all stories from time in Englewood, to his refusal to dance at the allstar game, to his difficult emotions being traded from Chicago It's a side of him I've never personally show to the media, and certainly not while he was in the limelight on the Bulls. Check it out.

GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,699

Post#46 » by GoBlue72391 » Thu Dec 1, 2022 6:42 pm

erlim wrote:Wellp, Jim Boylan's reign seems ridiculous.

The Jim Boylen era is such a strange period in Bulls history that I often think about it randomly. If it was a movie you would have had people saying it's too over the top and unrealistic. I've never seen the fanbase so united in agreement on a topic like the contempt for Egghead.
erlim
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by erlim » Tue May 23, 2023 4:33 am

Here's a good one with newly fully chilled out Noah and his old arch-nemesis/childhood hero, Kevin Garnett.

Great content. Honestly not much different of a competitive until-the-end vibe as like MJ and Isiah Thomas, the conversation is a little amped and awkward at first as they've clearly never socialized either on or off court, but they actually sit down and get super candid. Garnett seems like he genuinely respects Noah' as a warrior on court and his super-active philanthropy and work in both Chicago and Africa. Noah has been such a rad rad dude off-court.

erlim
Lead Assistant

Post#48 » by erlim » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:04 am

This is a pretty hilarious one. Jay Williams is on Pat Bev's show. Towards the end they get pretty competitive about how a hypothetical matchup would have been.

I don't really think of Jay Will as a Bull as much as a talking head media head. But it's cool, it's a very very candid interview. Jay Will talks a lot of **** about sports media and the politics and song and dance they have to do. Which is surprising because to me, Jay Will always seems like he buys into the sports media game some of the most out of anywhere on air. He is on some amazing Japanese whiskey, Yamazaki 18 though.

erlim
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by erlim » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:22 am

This one is short and breezy. Kind of weird this came up now as summer content, and there's a definite 'let me go golf now, thanks' energy, but I'm not complaining. I'll take any Bulls nostalgia.

If you are into Bulls history at all, you've probably heard Kukoc talk about the championship years. One charming part is when KC asks Kukoc about Jokic and Kukoc is (basically) like 'yeah, I could plainly see how special he was seven years ago under all that fat.' Crazy to think how the league rightly lauded Kukoc for being so versatile as a 6'11" front court player that could dribble, pass, shoot, and see the floor like a guard--but Jokic's skill level is easily about fifteen fold that of Kukoc. Game has gotten crazy man.

This didn't actually happen.
erlim
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by erlim » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:32 pm

New interview with Bulls great, John Starks.
I love Stacey and Starks getting spicy about stuff that happened 30 years ago. John Starks actually is pretty cool! Actually hated him way less after this.

erlim
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by erlim » Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:11 pm

Here's a clip of Rondo talking about what we already knew;

Very strange, because Jimmy has blossomed into being able to singlehandedly take his team into the Finals and keep them competitive.

Anyway, here's the full interview; not much Bulls stuff.

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,231

Post#52 » by HomoSapien » Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:15 pm

Thanks for posting all these interviews, Erlim. There's a bunch of these that I haven't heard. Going to go through them over the next few weeks.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
erlim
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by erlim » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:39 am

Just a really cool video to see the work Luol Deng is doing.

Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,715

Post#54 » by Ctownbulls » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:48 pm

Axl Rose wrote:
iqureshi wrote:Lavine makes the Rose situation so much more frustrating. I get no two injuries are the same, but why couldn't Rose come back stronger and better then before, like many ACL injuries. How long he took, and kinda just gave up cause he didn't trust his body. Didn't have great charisma or speaking ability, so didn't help he couldn't articulate better. It took alot to make him the abandoned son, but he somehow pulled it off. Maybe its best local kids don't play for the local team.

Roses style utilized his knees far more with his quick cutting, hop steps, etc. Zach is a more naturally gifted scorer that happens to be able to jump out of the gym also.

There has also been clear medical advancements for ACL injuries over the last 10 years or so.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,922

Post#55 » by RSP83 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:04 am

Ctownbulls wrote:
Axl Rose wrote:
iqureshi wrote:Lavine makes the Rose situation so much more frustrating. I get no two injuries are the same, but why couldn't Rose come back stronger and better then before, like many ACL injuries. How long he took, and kinda just gave up cause he didn't trust his body. Didn't have great charisma or speaking ability, so didn't help he couldn't articulate better. It took alot to make him the abandoned son, but he somehow pulled it off. Maybe its best local kids don't play for the local team.

Roses style utilized his knees far more with his quick cutting, hop steps, etc. Zach is a more naturally gifted scorer that happens to be able to jump out of the gym also.

There has also been clear medical advancements for ACL injuries over the last 10 years or so.

Rose's style really put a lot of wear and tear on those knees. If he kept playing that way, he's going to keep injuring himself. Now in hindsight, Rose's game was clearly never going to sustain. I mean here's a guy who was literally going vertical, downhill, and shifting/swaying left and right at full speed everytime down the court. And he carries some weight with that strong upper body.

Zach is the opposite. Zach is light, and has skills that doesn't require to punish his body too much to be effective.
RagingBull316
Rookie
And1: 911

Post#56 » by RagingBull316 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:33 pm

RSP83 wrote:
Ctownbulls wrote:
Axl Rose wrote:

Rose's style really put a lot of wear and tear on those knees. If he kept playing that way, he's going to keep injuring himself. Now in hindsight, Rose's game was clearly never going to sustain. I mean here's a guy who was literally going vertical, downhill, and shifting/swaying left and right at full speed everytime down the court. And he carries some weight with that strong upper body.

Zach is the opposite. Zach is light, and has skills that doesn't require to punish his body too much to be effective.

The problem with Rose's knee is likely that he had the surgery performed by Bulls team physician Brian Cole at Bulls team sponsor's Rush Medical Center, rather then seeking out the best surgeon's in other parts of the country like it seems Lavine did. Also Rose taking the whole year off and being so careful returning probably made him more prone to injury when he did return and suffered the meniscus tear.
erlim
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by erlim » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:09 am

RagingBull316 wrote:
RSP83 wrote:
Ctownbulls wrote:

The problem with Rose's knee is likely that he had the surgery performed by Bulls team physician Brian Cole at Bulls team sponsor's Rush Medical Center, rather then seeking out the best surgeon's in other parts of the country like it seems Lavine did. Also Rose taking the whole year off and being so careful returning probably made him more prone to injury when he did return and suffered the meniscus tear.

Yeah I saw Kenyon Martin on Gilbert Arenas’ podcast saying that team doctors are notoriously horrible. Though it seems to me that that is not the case for the Heat, Suns, and Spurs.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#58 » by rtblues » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:34 pm

Here's a couple of old-head interviews, one with Artis Gilmore and another with Reggie Theus.
From the podcast: ABA-One-On-One

Artis Gilmore

Reggie Theus
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
erlim
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by erlim » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:22 am

Got a decent Corie Blount interview. Nice hearing about his early Bulls years. Compares Kobe and Jordan, says how Jerry West tricked everybody to not drafting Kobe.

erlim
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by erlim » Fri Feb 9, 2024 9:55 am

There is a pretty decent interview with Luc Longley for Aussie TV within the last couple of months. It's a bit similar to the 'Australian Story; missing chapter of the Last Dance' mini documentary that he put out after The Last Dance as far as Bulls content goes; but this one is more recent. The interviewer is very young, so he really has no sense of the Bulls in the 90s at all, as he was born after the dynasty years. But it's interesting if you want Luc's opinion on current Aussie players and his view of the evolution of highly skilled bigs like Nikola Jokic. One interesting tidbit, Luc doesn't think he could make the NBA in his prime in the current era. Not sure if it's because he's a real modest mouse, or he really is in awe of the current stock of bigs.

Also, whilst looking for pictures, it seems like Scottie Pippen visited Luc in Melbourne very recently. Kind of supports the idea Pip is an all time great teammate but horrible facing the media.

Return to Chicago Bulls