Image ImageImage Image

Lonzo Ball Recovery tracking thread update p76 - Lonzo Has Started Sprinting!

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Will Lonzo be available to play at the start of the season?

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes: 193

jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,412

Re: Lonzo Ball Recovery tracking thread update p65 

Post#1461 » by jnrjr79 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:16 am

MGB8 wrote:Except that it is effectively too late for any of it. And, as Coldfish suggested, the vibe is that with insurance paying the contract either way, ownership preferred keeping the contract on the cap rather than getting that cap space back and being effectively forced to then pay out replacement salary. They’d rather be a cheaper, worse team.

Just bear in mind the Bulls wouldn’t have any “cap space” if Lonzo’s salary came off the books b/c they are well over the cap. They wouldn’t have to spend any additional money if they didn’t want to. The effective result is they would have additional room under the tax to use exceptions.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach

Post#1462 » by jnrjr79 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:22 am

dougthonus wrote:
Dan Z wrote:I agree that whatever Lonzo says won't sway a physician much, but they do have to talk to him. They can ask him how he feels when they touch his knee or ask him how he's moving around day-to-day. That kind of stuff. I'm not saying he'd lie, but he might tell them that he's improving (and probably is...but maybe not enough to return or do much).

Additionally, I imagine that Lonzo doesn't want to be released. How will that effect his market value around the league? It might signal to most teams that he's done (which they might think anyway). Either way I think someone will offer him a chance, but what's offered could vary from a small one year deal to something less.

I see that MG88 posted that this is too late and I tend to agree. They might address a medical exception in the off season, but at that point it's possible that both parties decided to wait until the season starts to see how it goes. From there...who knows....but this just keeps being pushed further and further towards the end of his contract.

Ignoring whether we'd win or lose (because really, I have no idea, I could see either case), I agree that we're unlikely to try unless it's pretty definitively clear wed' win.

Ie, if we get to camp and Lonzo can't run or play effectively, then you might as well give it a shot, because even if he comes back it won't be meaningfully this year, and if he comes back a year later, there is no penalty for you anyway.

But we're past the point where any meaningful value can be achieved here anyway. We'd have had to have done it last year, so we'd start this year with the money off the books when free agency hits. Even if successful now we won't have hte money gone in time for it to matter.

Re: the timing, that’s not necessarily true. It’s definitely true in terms of getting first-wave, bigger-named free agents, but the Bulls aren’t really going to be in line to do much of that anyway if they continue with this stupid continuity plan. But if they can get it on 7/13 (the date they got the DPE this year), there’d still be some useful unsigned free agents, most likely.

Honestly, this is all so annoying because the Bulls should just be unloading vets and trying to keep their pick next year (which would make the medical retirement effectively moot and actually be an argument to keep Lonzo’s contract as potential trade fodder), but we know they won’t do that and therefore have to worry about whether this mediocre team will be losing out on some MLE person that probably isn’t going to move the needle.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,655

Post#1463 » by Rainwater » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:52 am

jnrjr79 wrote:
ChettheJet wrote:I'm not worried about sprinting in March, I want to know how long he can run, how long he can stay on a treadmill, can he jump and does he feel any pain when he does those things.When Lonzo feels confident in his knee he can start doing short bursts and get to running harder each week. I want him building strength in his legs at his pace and then seeing him full speed in September, yeah that's 6 months away.

You should be worried about sprinting in March! March marks one year since his cartilage transplant. It's pretty concerning if he can't sprint at this point. And the window to seek to medically retire him opens in July, so I wouldn't be so sure that he's got 6 months to complete his recovery.

I am annoyed by this comment. I just had the Maci’s procedure, one of the cartilage transplants surgeries, and my doctor told me it would take a full year before I start running. It may take a full year for the transplant to fully grow. So it’s not shocking he is not sprinting at this point nor is it concerning. Considering it may take a full year to run, I was shocked he had started running in January when he had his surgery last March. I really recommend waiting till September to see how he really looks.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#1464 » by FriedRise » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:55 pm

Read on Twitter
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach

Post#1465 » by jnrjr79 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:37 pm

Rainwater wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
ChettheJet wrote:I'm not worried about sprinting in March, I want to know how long he can run, how long he can stay on a treadmill, can he jump and does he feel any pain when he does those things.When Lonzo feels confident in his knee he can start doing short bursts and get to running harder each week. I want him building strength in his legs at his pace and then seeing him full speed in September, yeah that's 6 months away.

You should be worried about sprinting in March! March marks one year since his cartilage transplant. It's pretty concerning if he can't sprint at this point. And the window to seek to medically retire him opens in July, so I wouldn't be so sure that he's got 6 months to complete his recovery.

I am annoyed by this comment. I just had the Maci’s procedure, one of the cartilage transplants surgeries, and my doctor told me it would take a full year before I start running. It may take a full year for the transplant to fully grow. So it’s not shocking he is not sprinting at this point nor is it concerning. Considering it may take a full year to run, I was shocked he had started running in January when he had his surgery last March. I really recommend waiting till September to see how he really looks.

Again, the Bulls are quite unlikely to wait until September, because the window to apply for medical retirement is in July.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#1466 » by Rainwater » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:04 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

Again, the Bulls are quite unlikely to wait until September, because the window to apply for medical retirement is in July.

I wasn’t responding to your medical retirement comment I was responding to your comment “It's pretty concerning if he can't sprint at this point” that is a false statement. It’s a case by case thing but most are running little before or after a year. So it is kinda ridiculous to say it’s concerning if he is not running or sprinting now. To really see where he is at you have to wait until September. I had this surgery and my doctor doesn’t recommend running for a full year.

Second, I am pretty certain the Bulls won’t qualify for medical retirement. That is a lengthy process which you would to prove a lot of things. There are very few players have qualified for it seems.

As someone who has gown through the surgery I think that Ball will play again. From what I have heard the discomfort that caused him to get the surgery is gone. The only thing I would be worried about is will he return the same player or is this a Derrick Rose situation.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach

Post#1467 » by jnrjr79 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:22 pm

Rainwater wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

I wasn’t responding to your medical retirement comment I was responding to your comment “It's pretty concerning if he can't sprint at this point” that is a false statement. It’s a case by case thing but most are running little before or after a year. So it is kinda ridiculous to say it’s concerning if he is not running or sprinting now. To really see where he is at you have to wait until September. I had this surgery and my doctor doesn’t recommend running for a full year.

Second, I am pretty certain the Bulls won’t qualify for medical retirement. That is a lengthy process which you would to prove a lot of things. Very few players have qualified for it seems.

As someone who has gown through the surgery I think that Ball will play again. From what I have heard the discomfort that caused him to get the surgery is gone. The only thing I would be worried about is will he return the same player or is this a Derrick Rose situation.

Medical retirement is not really a "lengthy process." It involves an independent physician reviewing his medical records and potentially having him sit for an exam. I'm not sure what you mean by "very few players have qualified for it." That would be because very few teams have applied for it and very few players have had career-ending injuries while the medical retirement relief has existed in the CBA. It's not like teams are applying for this and getting rejected all the time. Has there been an instance where a team has sought this and it has not been granted? I can't think of one. Medical retirement was granted for Brandon Roy and Chris Bosh - the latter over his objection.

And with due respect, whatever your doctor told you about your recovery timeline from your surgery, which may or may not be the same surgery Lonzo had, is of pretty limited utility in evaluating the fact that Lonzo can't run at full speed a year after his surgery.

This does not sound awesome:

Before Tuesday’s loss to Detroit, a source told the Chicago Sun-Times that the Bulls “were having even more concerns about Ball’s progress.” The 26-year-old point guard has been trying to work his way back from a cartilage transplant surgery. He hasn’t appeared in a game since January of 2021.

Head coach Billy Donovan was also asked about Ball’s status on Tuesday, and his comments to the Sun-Times weren’t very encouraging:

“I don’t know if he’s stuck. He is doing some shooting, some running, some jumping. He hasn’t done any sprinting yet, that I know…

They talked about that, and [sprinting] was kind of a goal, a set point. I do think the one thing that has been a priority right now so he does not get set back is he needs to develop more strength in his leg. Because of him having that surgery and being off his leg so long, before he’s really able to ramp up, I think they want him to get to a place physically that relates to his quad strength, hamstring strength, before he starts to really do that…

I don’t want to say it’s a holdup, but that’s where they want to get him to. In terms of what he’s doing, he feels better.”

https://www.bleachernation.com/bulls/2024/02/28/lonzo-ball-upd-2-28/
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#1468 » by Rainwater » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:56 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

Second, I am pretty certain the Bulls won’t qualify for medical retirement. That is a lengthy process which you would to prove a lot of things. Very few players have qualified for it seems.

Medical retirement is not really a "lengthy process." It involves an independent physician reviewing his medical records and potentially having him sit for an exam. I'm not sure what you mean by "very few players have qualified for it." That would be because very few teams have applied for it and very few players have had career-ending injuries while the medical retirement relief has existed in the CBA. It's not like teams are applying for this and getting rejected all the time. Has there been an instance where a team has sought this and it has not been granted? I can't think of one. Medical retirement was granted for Brandon Roy and Chris Bosh - the latter over his objection.

And with due respect, whatever your doctor told you about your recovery timeline from your surgery, which may or may not be the same surgery Lonzo had, is of pretty limited utility in evaluating the fact that Lonzo can't run at full speed a year after his surgery.

This does not sound awesome:

Before Tuesday’s loss to Detroit, a source told the Chicago Sun-Times that the Bulls “were having even more concerns about Ball’s progress.” The 26-year-old point guard has been trying to work his way back from a cartilage transplant surgery. He hasn’t appeared in a game since January of 2021.

Head coach Billy Donovan was also asked about Ball’s status on Tuesday, and his comments to the Sun-Times weren’t very encouraging:

“I don’t know if he’s stuck. He is doing some shooting, some running, some jumping. He hasn’t done any sprinting yet, that I know…

They talked about that, and [sprinting] was kind of a goal, a set point. I do think the one thing that has been a priority right now so he does not get set back is he needs to develop more strength in his leg. Because of him having that surgery and being off his leg so long, before he’s really able to ramp up, I think they want him to get to a place physically that relates to his quad strength, hamstring strength, before he starts to really do that…

I don’t want to say it’s a holdup, but that’s where they want to get him to. In terms of what he’s doing, he feels better.”

https://www.bleachernation.com/bulls/2024/02/28/lonzo-ball-upd-2-28/

You are correct, maybe “lenthy process” was the wrong words to use and the issue is that many teams don’t really apply for medical retirement rather than them just being rejected. But the mere fact many don’t apply should tell you that Bulls likely won’t either.

In even in the cases they were granted, those issues faced by those players were far worse than Lonzo’s issues. Roy was basically playing bone on bone and Chris Bosh had blood Clots. While the remedy to correcting cartilage defects has changed, Lonzo’s issue is something many other players have had in the past including T-Mac, Amare, J-Kidd, and more. Could these teams haves applied for retirement benefits for cartilage defects for their players and benefited maybe, but the mere fact that these teams didn’t even apply and cartilage defects is a common issue should tell you it may not be granted.

While I am no expert, in regards to your last point, many of these cartilage transplant treatments have long recovery times. For the OATS procedure it can take 12 months to recover. The Maci’s procedure (which I had) could take a year to run long distances. Micro Facture surgery (which is no longer used) took 9 months if I remember correctly. You can look these things up. Again, him not running at this point is not a huge concern.

And if you look at the quote, they say he feels no pain and the coach even said he is not necessarily stuck and needs to work on his quads. And in a prior tweet it said the medical staff is ok with his progress.

In all honesty, Ball will play again but the only question is will he be the same player. This is same question many other players faced when they had cartilage defects and it has been mixed.

I am not a Ball fan but some dude who had the surgery. I think people are making a news story about something they know very little about. Give the man until September to actually see where he is at.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,756

Post#1469 » by dougthonus » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:19 pm

Rainwater wrote:I am not a Ball fan but some dude who had the surgery. I think people are making a news story about something they know very little about. Give the man until September to actually see where he is at.

I think they will do just that only because medical retirement doesn't really do that much for us anyway, and having Lonzo's contract to match salaries may be more beneficial than medical retirement anyway. That will depend a bit on how the rest of the off-season plays out though, so the option may not even be one we'd consider pursuing or it may be one we almost have to pursue.

In terms of this news not being disastrous, I agree. The news that he had this procedure at all was disastrous. No one has had this done and played in the NBA afterwards either. We're on the 3rd procedure on the same knee, but debates about whether he's ahead or behind schedule on an experimental procedure are sort of behind the point. I don't think anything I've read about his progress scares me more than the initial fact that he had to have this at all, and based on no one ever playing in the league after having it, I'd assume he'll be in that same boat.

Hope it's the next Tommy John surgery where it took a problem that was a career ender and turns it into no big deal, and Lonzo is back at full strength in the summer, but it's just a wait and see game for me with the expected outcome being poor. In this sense, for me there is no bad news about Lonzo, there is just the absence of miraculously good news. We aren't at the deadline where miraculously good news is out of the realm of possibility or even expect yet though.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,713

Post#1470 » by madvillian » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:56 pm

With all due respect to rainwater's posts: you can't compare a pro athlete undergoing a 3rd, last ditch surgery to a weekend warrior returning to their activities.

Pro athletes have honed their athletic timing over decades of training. When you miss entire seasons, as Ball has, there is a question if it will ever come back fully, even if the athlete is otherwise "pain free" (as much as you can be in pro sports).

The best example of this for Bulls fans is of course Derrick, who even prior to his meniscus issues just looked "off" when he returned.

Lonzo has a long, long road ahead of him. I think the over under on games the rest of his career is probably about 50. There's a question if he'll even be rosterable when he returns, even at league min. He's going to be incredibly rusty and other parts of the body will start to give him trouble even if his knee is feeling decent, he's bound to have numerous soft tissue injuries as he tries to ramp up to even training camp levels of exertion.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#1471 » by HomoSapien » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:13 pm

ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#1472 » by Rainwater » Fri Mar 1, 2024 12:54 am

madvillian wrote:With all due respect to rainwater's posts: you can't compare a pro athlete undergoing a 3rd, last ditch surgery to a weekend warrior returning to their activities.

Pro athletes have honed their athletic timing over decades of training. When you miss entire seasons, as Ball has, there is a question if it will ever come back fully, even if the athlete is otherwise "pain free" (as much as you can be in pro sports).

The best example of this for Bulls fans is of course Derrick, who even prior to his meniscus issues just looked "off" when he returned.

Lonzo has a long, long road ahead of him. I think the over under on games the rest of his career is probably about 50. There's a question if he'll even be rosterable when he returns, even at league min. He's going to be incredibly rusty and other parts of the body will start to give him trouble even if his knee is feeling decent, he's bound to have numerous soft tissue injuries as he tries to ramp up to even training camp levels of exertion.

I don’t think you understand what I am trying to say. Although it’s case by case basis, If you are a weekend warrior or a professional athlete the timeline of cartilage transplants does not change. Just because you are an athlete doesn’t make the transplant grow faster or increase the timeline one is able to run. If anything I would think the organization would be more careful. For example, If you have an ACL tear or meniscus tear the timeline for recovery or goal marks are not achieved more quickly just because you are a professional athlete.

And no one said Ball will return to his old self, all I said is I believe that Ball will likely play basketball again. There was a stat indicating that 76% of athletes who had cartilage transplant surgery played their sport again (although none of these athletes were likely professionals). And Lonzo is already jumping, dunking, and feeling no pain. And even with the procedure that Cartilage Transplants has replaced, micro fracture surgery, the issue for the player was never getting back on the floor; the issue was once back on the floor, after surgery, the player was never same or as productive.

So I think the biggest question for Ball is not if he will return but when he returns what type of player will he be. Will he be the same Lonzo? A better Lonzo? Will he return but decline like D. Rose or other players who had the micro fracture surgery. Again, I feel like it’s best to wait until September to see where he is as a player.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,756

Post#1473 » by dougthonus » Fri Mar 1, 2024 12:59 am

HomoSapien wrote:

I'd recommend you watch it on 2x speed so you only waste 2.5 minutes of your life.

But basically, it's just SAS bringing back the videos he had before where him and Lonzo went at each other then saying "look he still can't play", and then tries to act like he's not being a dick by couching his totally dickish behavior with fake compliments at the end.

Also, he said Lonzo was supposed to be back in January and so not sprinting is a huge delay, perhaps which was the only point outside of him trying to just tell everyone how smart he is that he actually mentions in the video, which was incorrect, as the Bulls announced he'd miss the whole season like a week after the surgery and he was never expected to be back in January.

I really like SAS a lot of times, but he just comes off as a petty jackass with poor information in this one.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#1474 » by Rainwater » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:13 am

dougthonus wrote:
Rainwater wrote:I am not a Ball fan but some dude who had the surgery. I think people are making a news story about something they know very little about. Give the man until September to actually see where he is at.

I think they will do just that only because medical retirement doesn't really do that much for us anyway, and having Lonzo's contract to match salaries may be more beneficial than medical retirement anyway. That will depend a bit on how the rest of the off-season plays out though, so the option may not even be one we'd consider pursuing or it may be one we almost have to pursue.

In terms of this news not being disastrous, I agree. The news that he had this procedure at all was disastrous. No one has had this done and played in the NBA afterwards either. We're on the 3rd procedure on the same knee, but debates about whether he's ahead or behind schedule on an experimental procedure are sort of behind the point. I don't think anything I've read about his progress scares me more than the initial fact that he had to have this at all, and based on no one ever playing in the league after having it, I'd assume he'll be in that same boat.

Hope it's the next Tommy John surgery where it took a problem that was a career ender and turns it into no big deal, and Lonzo is back at full strength in the summer, but it's just a wait and see game for me with the expected outcome being poor. In this sense, for me there is no bad news about Lonzo, there is just the absence of miraculously good news. We aren't at the deadline where miraculously good news is out of the realm of possibility or even expect yet though.

I agree with this post. Although I will say the procedure itself is not experimental, it’s been around for a while. What makes it experimental is that he will be the first NBA player to have it. But I love the Tommy John analogy. I am just hoping for a better results than micro fracture surgery. Players were never the same after that.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#1475 » by Rainwater » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:28 am

dougthonus wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:

I'd recommend you watch it on 2x speed so you only waste 2.5 minutes of your life.

But basically, it's just SAS bringing back the videos he had before where him and Lonzo went at each other then saying "look he still can't play", and then tries to act like he's not being a dick by couching his totally dickish behavior with fake compliments at the end.

Also, he said Lonzo was supposed to be back in January and so not sprinting is a huge delay, perhaps which was the only point outside of him trying to just tell everyone how smart he is that he actually mentions in the video, which was incorrect, as the Bulls announced he'd miss the whole season like a week after the surgery and he was never expected to be back in January.

I really like SAS a lot of times, but he just comes off as a petty jackass with poor information in this one.

Yeah, that was actually a trash video not much can be gained from it.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,084

Post#1476 » by MrSparkle » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:34 am

An “I told you so” video (premature, at that) regarding a dude’s health/career is about as poor taste as it gets.

I’m rooting for Lonzo to get better. The second it became apparent this was some kind of novel injury, where he couldn’t walk up stairs after a year of rest, I figured the Bulls should pivot plans. This isn’t really rocket science. You should still root for the guy to make an NBA comeback- if Livingston, Rose and Hill did it, he could too. It’ll just be a while, and it’s expected that at best, a gradual return as a vet min caliber player would be a realistic best case scenario (mle at best).
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1478 » by HomoSapien » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:56 am

dougthonus wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:

Agreed, I thought SAS came off terribly in this. Not posting as an endorsement but more as a continuation of their back and forth from earlier.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1479 » by HomoSapien » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:00 am

No coincidence that this was posted today. Lonzo's response to the rumors.

Read on Twitter
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,222

Re: Lonzo Ball Recovery tracking thread update p74 

Post#1480 » by Red8911 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:27 pm

Idk why you guys even bother at this point, doesn’t matter anymore.Even if he miraculously recovers AND becomes his old self again it won’t be in Chicago.

Chances of him being the same again though are very low. Next season IF he actually returns it will be mostly him getting his strength and conditioning back playing limited minutes with a lot of taking games off for rest.

Do the bulls want to go through this for a player who won’t be coming back the following year ? I doubt it. Even KC has said that the bulls are rooting for him to recover but he’s also not in future plans anymore.

Return to Chicago Bulls