Image ImageImage Image

Lonzo Ball Recovery tracking thread update p76 - Lonzo Has Started Sprinting!

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Will Lonzo be available to play at the start of the season?

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes: 193

drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Re: Lonzo Ball Recovery tracking thread update p74 

Post#1481 » by drosestruts » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:56 pm

for a guy who can't run he still looks to be in good shape. If I couldn't run for two years i'd definitely develop a nice gut
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,753

Re: Lonzo Ball Recovery tracking thread update p65 

Post#1482 » by dougthonus » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:43 pm

HomoSapien wrote:Agreed, I thought SAS came off terribly in this. Not posting as an endorsement but more as a continuation of their back and forth from earlier.

Yeah, understood, I wasn't trying to rip on you for posting it so my apologies if it came off that way, just commenting on SAS.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1483 » by dougthonus » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:45 pm

drosestruts wrote:for a guy who can't run he still looks to be in good shape. If I couldn't run for two years i'd definitely develop a nice gut

I had a medical issue on Jan 19th and had to pause all working out. I've just gotten clearance to do cardio work this Saturday, and begin lifting on March 14th. I've gained 7lbs. :lol:
@doug_thonus on twitter
Mr. Tibbs
Head Coach
And1: 466

Re: Lonzo Ball Recovery tracking thread update p65 

Post#1484 » by Mr. Tibbs » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:29 pm

Axl Rose wrote:
Mr. Tibbs wrote:Regardless of what level he returns to, just getting back on the court and playing again would be such a huge accomplishment and something to get excited about. Pulling for the kid.

Yeah same. The games he played had me as excited to watch the team as the Rose MVP year.

Agreed. I find myself youtubing Lonzo highlights every few months, and man just the way he pushed the pace and saw things unfold before anyone else, it gave me Jason Kidd vibes.
RIP Johnny Red Kerr, Norm Van Lier, Pdenninggolden, Bullsmaniac
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#1485 » by FriedRise » Sat Mar 2, 2024 1:04 am

Read on Twitter
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#1486 » by Axolotl » Sat Mar 2, 2024 6:05 am

FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

That, and the self lob dunk - doesn't look like a guy about to be medically retired due to a bad knee.

That said, I root for Lonzo to have a functioning pain free knee. Being able to play basketball at the highest level would be a bonus.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#1487 » by HomoSapien » Sat Mar 2, 2024 6:08 am

It's not sprinting, but I'd say these clips are pretty encouraging.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#1488 » by Axolotl » Sat Mar 2, 2024 7:15 am

Maybe worth noting that while many of the headlines say "Lonzo still can't sprint", that is not what Donovan said. What he said was "hasn't sprinted".

This cartillage procedure Lonzo had has a long recovery time, so it could be that he hasn't sprinted because it has not been deemed safe enough yet?
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1489 » by HomoSapien » Sat Mar 2, 2024 8:43 am

Axolotl wrote:Maybe worth noting that while many of the headlines say "Lonzo still can't sprint", that is not what Donovan said. What he said was "hasn't sprinted".

This cartillage procedure Lonzo had has a long recovery time, so it could be that he hasn't sprinted because it has not been deemed safe enough yet?

Based on the video above of him working out on the court, it's pretty clear to me that he's likely capable of sprinting. The question has to be why isn't he? I wouldn't really feel concerned about it if they hadn't publicly stated that he was hoping to start sprinting in early January.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1490 » by dougthonus » Sat Mar 2, 2024 12:43 pm

HomoSapien wrote:Based on the video above of him working out on the court, it's pretty clear to me that he's likely capable of sprinting. The question has to be why isn't he? I wouldn't really feel concerned about it if they hadn't publicly stated that he was hoping to start sprinting in early January.

My general thought is, don't be concerned about it either way. The timeline here is almost irrelevant, because "full recovery" timeline is like May-ish, so even if he slips badly on that timeline, he's got another 5 months to be ready for the season.

The only thing that really matters is continued progression and whether he ultimately heals well enough to play again, he can be 4 months behind schedule on that and still be ready for training camp.

My challenge with Lonzo news is that it has been so dishonest in the past, that I simply don't trust anything until he's fully practicing and we get reports, and then I won't fully trust he's back until I see him on the court playing well in real games.

For a timeline of the BS:
After the first surgery, you have his dad going out and saying how great he feels, and how he's totally recovered and will be ready for the season in July. Obviously turns out to be BS.

After the second surgery, you have him posting the video of him dunking, and there were reports immediately afterwards that all the pain was gone and it addressed everything and they found stuff they didn't see the first time.

After the 3rd surgery you have that whole chair video with him and SAS, and now you have these other videos of Lonzo popping up.

He looks pretty good in both videos to me, but my eye definitely isn't good enough to know this is "NBA ready" good, nor do I have any faith that if his knee was the size of a balloon an hour later that they'd report it.

I'll take whatever good news of clips I can, but I view all of it with a tremendous amount of skepticism.
@doug_thonus on twitter
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,657

Post#1491 » by sco » Sat Mar 2, 2024 7:03 pm

dougthonus wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:Based on the video above of him working out on the court, it's pretty clear to me that he's likely capable of sprinting. The question has to be why isn't he? I wouldn't really feel concerned about it if they hadn't publicly stated that he was hoping to start sprinting in early January.

My general thought is, don't be concerned about it either way. The timeline here is almost irrelevant, because "full recovery" timeline is like May-ish, so even if he slips badly on that timeline, he's got another 5 months to be ready for the season.

The only thing that really matters is continued progression and whether he ultimately heals well enough to play again, he can be 4 months behind schedule on that and still be ready for training camp.

My challenge with Lonzo news is that it has been so dishonest in the past, that I simply don't trust anything until he's fully practicing and we get reports, and then I won't fully trust he's back until I see him on the court playing well in real games.

After the first surgery, you have his dad going out and saying how great he feels, and how he's totally recovered and will be ready for the season in July. Obviously turns out to be BS.

After the second surgery, you have him posting the video of him dunking, and there were reports immediately afterwards that all the pain was gone and it addressed everything and they found stuff they didn't see the first time.

After the 3rd surgery you have that whole chair video with him and SAS, and now you have these other videos of Lonzo popping up.

He looks pretty good in both videos to me, but my eye definitely isn't good enough to know this is "NBA ready" good, nor do I have any faith that if his knee was the size of a balloon an hour later that they'd report it.

I'll take whatever good news of clips I can, but I view all of it with a tremendous amount of skepticism.

Good points!

I think even if he's able to get his game "back enough", the real test is making through a season. I see guys like Simmons and Isaac come back and quickly get injured again.
:clap:
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,432

Post#1492 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Mar 2, 2024 7:16 pm

sco wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Good points!

I think even if he's able to get his game "back enough", the real test is making through a season. I see guys like Simmons and Isaac come back and quickly get injured again.

BINGO
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1493 » by HomoSapien » Sat Mar 2, 2024 7:50 pm

sco wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Good points!

The most games Lonzo has ever played in a season is 63 (this was in a shortened 72 game season). Aside from that, his next high is 55 games. It seems hard to imagine a scenario where he ever really makes it through a season, but I haven't followed Lonzo's career closely enough. Have his injuries always been related to this same knee?
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1494 » by dougthonus » Sat Mar 2, 2024 8:06 pm

HomoSapien wrote:The most games Lonzo has ever played in a season is 63 (this was in a shortened 72 game season). Aside from that, his next high is 55 games. It seems hard to imagine a scenario where he ever really makes it through a season, but I haven't followed Lonzo's career closely enough. Have his injuries always been related to this same knee?

ChatGPT for the win:
Meniscus Tear, 2022: Ball suffered a meniscus tear in his left knee on January 14, 2022, against the Golden State Warriors. He underwent surgery on January 28, 2022, to address the injury.

Health and Safety Protocols, 2021: Ball was sidelined for 10 days after contracting COVID-19 following the Christmas break in December 2021.

Thumb Sprain, 2021: Late in the season, Ball suffered a thumb sprain that affected his playtime with the New Orleans Pelicans.

Hip Flexor Strain, 2021: Ball missed 11 games due to a hip flexor strain and experienced hip soreness after attempting to return.

Knee Tendinopathy, 2021: Ball was out for three games in January 2021 due to bilateral knee tendinopathy.

Adductor Strain, 2019: Ball injured his adductor (groin) on November 4, 2019, and missed a total of six games.

Ankle Sprain, 2019: On January 19, 2019, Ball sustained a Grade 3 ankle sprain and was eventually shut down for the season.

Meniscus Tear, 2018: Ball missed a significant part of his rookie season due to knee soreness, which was later identified as a meniscus tear requiring surgery.

Shoulder Sprain, 2017: Ball was ruled out for six games due to a shoulder sprain before the Lakers' Christmas Day game in 2017.

Generally looks like not much of his past was related to the knee, but his meniscus tear in 2018 was on the same knee as the 2022 injury.

I think regardless of the past injuries, you have to assume with this specific injury that there is very high risk of additional problems just based on the lengthened recovery time.
@doug_thonus on twitter
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,713

Post#1495 » by madvillian » Sat Mar 2, 2024 8:29 pm

First thing he needs to do is make it through a training camp. Until he does that, there's really not much point in speculating if he can come back and play in games and no workout video against air is going to convince me otherwise.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1496 » by HomoSapien » Sat Mar 2, 2024 8:39 pm

dougthonus wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:The most games Lonzo has ever played in a season is 63 (this was in a shortened 72 game season). Aside from that, his next high is 55 games. It seems hard to imagine a scenario where he ever really makes it through a season, but I haven't followed Lonzo's career closely enough. Have his injuries always been related to this same knee?

ChatGPT for the win:
Meniscus Tear, 2022: Ball suffered a meniscus tear in his left knee on January 14, 2022, against the Golden State Warriors. He underwent surgery on January 28, 2022, to address the injury.

Health and Safety Protocols, 2021: Ball was sidelined for 10 days after contracting COVID-19 following the Christmas break in December 2021.

Thumb Sprain, 2021: Late in the season, Ball suffered a thumb sprain that affected his playtime with the New Orleans Pelicans.

Hip Flexor Strain, 2021: Ball missed 11 games due to a hip flexor strain and experienced hip soreness after attempting to return.

Knee Tendinopathy, 2021: Ball was out for three games in January 2021 due to bilateral knee tendinopathy.

Adductor Strain, 2019: Ball injured his adductor (groin) on November 4, 2019, and missed a total of six games.

Ankle Sprain, 2019: On January 19, 2019, Ball sustained a Grade 3 ankle sprain and was eventually shut down for the season.

Meniscus Tear, 2018: Ball missed a significant part of his rookie season due to knee soreness, which was later identified as a meniscus tear requiring surgery.

Shoulder Sprain, 2017: Ball was ruled out for six games due to a shoulder sprain before the Lakers' Christmas Day game in 2017.

Generally looks like not much of his past was related to the knee, but his meniscus tear in 2018 was on the same knee as the 2022 injury.

I think regardless of the past injuries, you have to assume with this specific injury that there is very high risk of additional problems just based on the lengthened recovery time.

Nicely done!
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,019

Post#1497 » by Chi town » Sat Mar 2, 2024 10:19 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
sco wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Good points!

BINGO

Only thing that will get my attention is him playing against real competition at a high level… and then doing it again consecutive days proving recovery.

Don’t think he returns next season and plays rotation mins for anyone.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Post#1498 » by DASMACKDOWN » Sun Mar 3, 2024 1:16 am

To me, regardless of how and when he comes back, AKME needs to manifest his inner John Paxson and give Billy the business concerning how he plays Lonzo.

I don't want Lonzo guarding Embiid, Giannis or Randle his first games out.

If he over does his minutes or plays him against bruisers like how he does with Caruso, I give AKME the permission to slap the gum out of Billy Donovan's mouth.
The Cult of Personality
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#1499 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun Mar 3, 2024 1:49 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:To me, regardless of how and when he comes back, AKME needs to manifest his inner John Paxson and give Billy the business concerning how he plays Lonzo.

If he over does his minutes or plays him against bruisers like how he does with Caruso, I give AKME the permission to slap the gum out of Billy Donovan's mouth.

Lonzo, Ayo nor Caruso should be guarding bigs. Donovan is an idiot when it come to defensive matchups.

It’s also AK’s fault for poor roster construction as far as size.
mj234eva
General Manager
And1: 3,570

Post#1500 » by mj234eva » Sun Mar 3, 2024 2:47 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:To me, regardless of how and when he comes back, AKME needs to manifest his inner John Paxson and give Billy the business concerning how he plays Lonzo.

This is extremely premature.
Michael Jordan wrote:Sometimes I wish I could be my teammates looking at that
defense. It must be nice. But it isn't nice for me.

Return to Chicago Bulls