Image ImageImage Image

Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player?

Yes?
38%
No?
62%

Total votes: 119

GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,695

Re: Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player? 

Post#261 » by GoBlue72391 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 7:06 pm

sco wrote:
Rose2Boozer wrote:If Terry continues to work on his body and three point shot, he'll be a better version of Craig. Dude has good ball skills and a high motor. I wish P Maybe had Terry's motor.

Sure, but I think that notion implies that he'll become an average NBA 3pt shooter. At this point, that seems unlikely.
It's definitely possible if he puts in the time and work. He's a long way off right now, but shooting is generally one of the easiest skills to improve.

Our new shooting coach Patton should spend all summer with him.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#262 » by GoBlue72391 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 7:08 pm

Charlesareed wrote:His body is so think not KD or Ingram slim tho he needs to work on his body his ball handling & his 3pt shot
Improving his body and ball handling would be nice bonuses, but not essential. The shooting however is a must. I'd rather have him hone in on that this summer than trying to work on all three at once.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,656

Post#263 » by sco » Sun Jan 7, 2024 7:23 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
sco wrote:
Rose2Boozer wrote:If Terry continues to work on his body and three point shot, he'll be a better version of Craig. Dude has good ball skills and a high motor. I wish P Maybe had Terry's motor.

Sure, but I think that notion implies that he'll become an average NBA 3pt shooter. At this point, that seems unlikely.
It's definitely possible if he puts in the time and work. He's a long way off right now, but shooting is generally one of the easiest skills to improve.

Yeah he should be working hard on it, but I think my main point is that I disagree that 3pt shooting is one of the easiest skills to improve. It is easy to assume that because you look at the stats of guys who are still in the league, but many more guys don't improve meaningfully, but they're out to the league.
:clap:
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,753

Post#264 » by dougthonus » Mon Jan 8, 2024 11:17 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
sco wrote:

I saw someone do some research on improving shooting, and they found basically, it was not something that was commonly significantly improved and that this thought (and believe me I shared it) was not really accurate.

I've tried to find the link, but have been unsuccessful. Generally speaking, the vast majority of players who were not good three point shooters when younger/college aged, never became good three point shooters later according to the research. There are of course exceptions, but given how many people work on this and try to become an exception because it's a skill that would trivially keep you in the league and earn you a ton of money, the exceptions are just that.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 822

Post#265 » by ScrantonBulls » Mon Jan 8, 2024 11:23 pm

His shot is so ugly. I can't see him ever becoming a good shooter from deep.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#266 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:27 am

ScrantonBulls wrote:His shot is so ugly. I can't see him ever becoming a good shooter from deep.

I've seen way worse. It seems to me like most of his problems come from rushing his shot and shooting before he's ready and without proper form. When he takes his time and lines it up it's not the ugliest shot in the world.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,960

Post#267 » by Wingy » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:34 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:I've seen way worse. It seems to me like most of his problems come from rushing his shot and shooting before he's ready and without proper form. When he takes his time and lines it up it's not the ugliest shot in the world.

He took one the other night that wasn’t an insanely wide open drive/kick out pass without hesitation and confidence. Very uncharacteristic. It rattled in and out. I felt a little encouraged.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,656

Post#268 » by sco » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:01 pm

Wingy wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:I've seen way worse. It seems to me like most of his problems come from rushing his shot and shooting before he's ready and without proper form. When he takes his time and lines it up it's not the ugliest shot in the world.

He took one the other night that wasn’t an insanely wide open drive/kick out pass without hesitation and confidence. Very uncharacteristic. It rattled in and out. I felt a little encouraged.

I don't care how it looks, but the league values shooters because the vast majority of non-shooters don't become shooters, but we see the Lonzo Ball's of the world and get an unrealistic view of what's possible, where the majority of non-shooters fade quietly out of the NBA.

Terry isn't a guy who should be invested in or be getting minutes.
:clap:
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,084

Post#269 » by MrSparkle » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:06 pm

dougthonus wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
sco wrote:Sure, but I think that notion implies that he'll become an average NBA 3pt shooter. At this point, that seems unlikely.

I saw someone do some research on improving shooting, and they found basically, it was not something that was commonly significantly improved and that this thought (and believe me I shared it) was not really accurate.

I've tried to find the link, but have been unsuccessful. Generally speaking, the vast majority of players who were not good three point shooters when younger/college aged, never became good three point shooters later according to the research. There are of course exceptions, but given how many people work on this and try to become an exception because it's a skill that would trivially keep you in the league and earn you a ton of money, the exceptions are just that.

Yeah... Volume and confidence can go up and help make a 3P-zero into a spot-up threat, but even then, guys like Ariza and Smart had their single peak/anomaly years, but generally shot low 30%s. Both also benefitted from spacing, playing with elite 3P stars. Rubio could never really get it going in his entire career, and he was an elite prospect as a teenager. Also, if there is a pay-off (like Ariza), trends show the 3P threat came many years later. It'd be a total anomaly to fix under 3 seasons. Coby is a very skilled shooter with clean form, and it's taken him a few years to climb the reliability and consistency of that shot.

I wouldn't count out Terry becoming a competent 3P shooter, but right now his shot looks even worse than advertised, which IMO is a draft miss. Just a long-shot project. I think his defense and passing look promising, but at sub-32% 3Ps, he's not going to be very playable unless there are 4 shooters on the floor. Mid-30s are looking like a pipe-dream at this point.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#270 » by dougthonus » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:25 pm

MrSparkle wrote:I wouldn't count out Terry becoming a competent 3P shooter, but right now his shot looks even worse than advertised, which IMO is a draft miss. Just a long-shot project. I think his defense and passing look promising, but at sub-32% 3Ps, he's not going to be very playable unless there are 4 shooters on the floor. Mid-30s are looking like a pipe-dream at this point.

With his current offensive skillset he's poor man's Javonte Green with more passing and less smarts/experience. With only incremental improvement, he's a vet min guy. Can he have a big step and show significant improvement? Anything is possible, but pretty unlikely.
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#271 » by dougthonus » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:26 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:His shot is so ugly. I can't see him ever becoming a good shooter from deep.

I've seen way worse. It seems to me like most of his problems come from rushing his shot and shooting before he's ready and without proper form. When he takes his time and lines it up it's not the ugliest shot in the world.

You've seen way worse?

I'd say his form/technique/consistency is probably bottom 5% of the league for guard/wing players. I don't think there is anyone way worse. I'm sure there's probably a group of people just as bad, but way worse? No, I doubt it.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,960

Post#272 » by Wingy » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:32 pm

sco wrote:I don't care how it looks, but the league values shooters because the vast majority of non-shooters don't become shooters, but we see the Lonzo Ball's of the world and get an unrealistic view of what's possible, where the majority of non-shooters fade quietly out of the NBA.

Terry isn't a guy who should be invested in or be getting minutes.

I’m fine if they moved off him, but I think like many things we’re stuck on the past and are maybe a little too dismissive of what we’re seeing now. To me he looks a lot different out there, in the positive sense to be clear. I definitely see an NBA caliber defensive player, and that has its place. He’s coming from a low bar, though it’s not like he got a ton of entitlement minutes to develop.

Still a disappointing pick when a guy like Kessler was there? Absolutely.

The thing about the shot. Yes, definitely rare to develop, and I definitely wanted a shooter. I’m sure I could find posts swiping at AK for drafting a non-shooter, non-tall person at the time. Anyway, while rare, shooting can improve. What improves less often is that innate desire and tenacity to defend. That’s a plus for Terry. Maybe not for this team since we’re so desperate for shooting, but from what little we’ve seen, I think he’ll have a long career.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#273 » by MGB8 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:59 pm

The question is not whether Terry can develop into a Luis shooter. That is unlikely. But can he develop into a average-ish shooter, really somewhat below average, a la DJJ? A 33 to 34% guy? Herbert Jones is at that level, too, though started there with no real movement so far. Or even a bit better like Troy Brown Jr. or Javonte Green or Grant Williams or Okoro or Oubre? Those guys improved.

The real issue is do you see a steady improvement in the first 2-3 years of significant minutes. Most players who improve you see that (see, e.g., Jalen Suggs). If not, then the rare thing is to see a jump in baseline percentages down the line. It happens (e.g., Dinwiddie, who was shooting very well pre-return-to-Brooklyn where his shooting tanked again - probably different usage, different shots), but it’s pretty uncommon. The improvement and or jump to a new level (see Avdija and Jalen Johnson this season) usually happen early on.

As for investing in him or not, I think that gets decided by what the team sees behind the scenes, in practices and such. They should have a better sense of whether he’s likely hopeless long term in terms of shooting, or not.
ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 822

Post#274 » by ScrantonBulls » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:15 am

dougthonus wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:

You've seen way worse?

I'd say his form/technique/consistency is probably bottom 5% of the league for guard/wing players. I don't think there is anyone way worse. I'm sure there's probably a group of people just as bad, but way worse? No, I doubt it.

After reading that I had to watch some tape to make sure i wasn't completely wrong about his shot, lol. It is definitely very ugly.
AhUtopian
Junior
And1: 61

Post#275 » by AhUtopian » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:02 pm

Dalen Terry stats cross Hou and Bos 2 games :

37 mins : 8/13 , 18 pts 10 rebs 6 asts .

Sent from my SM-S9160 using RealGM mobile app
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,923

Post#276 » by ChettheJet » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:51 pm

What he does is hustle and contribute on defense. I think he needs to spend the off season becoming excellent at something. At this point he has good stretches at shooting, passing rebounding but he's just not consistently very good at any aspect of the NBA game. When he comes in off the bench the defense isn't concerned about his playmaking/passing, they don't see a great shooter, opponents see him rebound at times, he breaks out in transition sometimes, and sometimes he's out of control.

If he spent the off season with Coby's dribbling coach, or took 1,000 jumpshots a day or whatever but if he comes to camp excellent at something along with being able at the others he's got a chance to stick around in the rotation.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,019

Post#277 » by Chi town » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:45 am

dougthonus wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:

You've seen way worse?

How is this dude this bad with Patton here.

I don’t get it.

If Ayo can do it it can be done. Just don’t think Terry gets it or puts in the work. Even some of FTs look awful.

Meanwhile, JP’s shot looks good.

I’m all for trading Terry this offseason. I’d rather give the spot to someone else.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,266

Post#278 » by kodo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:04 pm

dougthonus wrote:I saw someone do some research on improving shooting, and they found basically, it was not something that was commonly significantly improved and that this thought (and believe me I shared it) was not really accurate.

This seems hard to believe, so I took the class of 2020 which has now 4 seasons of data while still being young players relatively. I tracked if there was any improvement in their 3P%. Sometimes there is not a linear increase for a variety of reasons (traded, injuries, more responsibility so they need to take more/tougher shots), so I noted if there was any improvement in years 2 through 4. (I didn't include centers like Wiseman/Okongwu who were never expected to be 3P threats).

There was clearly a pattern of improvement. The players with the least improvement already came into the league shooting like at the highest levels like Hali & Bane.

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#279 » by dougthonus » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:05 pm

kodo wrote:
dougthonus wrote:I saw someone do some research on improving shooting, and they found basically, it was not something that was commonly significantly improved and that this thought (and believe me I shared it) was not really accurate.

This seems hard to believe, so I took the class of 2020 which has now 4 seasons of data while still being young players relatively. I tracked if there was any improvement in their 3P%. Sometimes there is not a linear increase for a variety of reasons (traded, injuries, more responsibility so they need to take more/tougher shots), so I noted if there was any improvement in years 2 through 4. (I didn't include centers like Wiseman/Okongwu who were never expected to be 3P threats).

There was clearly a pattern of improvement. The players with the least improvement already came into the league shooting like at the highest levels like Hali & Bane.

Appreciate the research!

I think to carry it forward, you'd probably need to look more at volume and trends over multiple years and set some baselines and what improvement you are considering meaningful and what you aren't. I'm not sure that using best year of 2-4 shows improvement either or is a rational way to look at it. I think it's really like if you look at what a guy does over his first couple years (or his college average) and see how the volume/percentages change on the whole.
@doug_thonus on twitter
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,266

Post#280 » by kodo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:33 pm

I think to carry it forward, you'd probably need to look more at volume and trends over multiple years and set some baselines and what improvement you are considering meaningful and what you aren't.

Agreed volume is huge, one more made 3P per game is worth more than a few % points of accuracy.
But in the context of Dalen Terry I think that's all that people want, for him to hit his assisted open 3s at better than 24%. I don't think the saying of "shooting can improve" is meant to imply guys like Deni can become Haliburtons.

Return to Chicago Bulls