Image ImageImage Image

Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player?

Yes?
38%
No?
62%

Total votes: 119

drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Re: Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player? 

Post#201 » by drosestruts » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:55 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
drosestruts wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:This guy should have stayed in college, he is years away from even being a worthy G-Leaguer.

But now he can develop (in theory) while getting money. This wasn't an option in college.

Also, based on his play, had he stayed in college he probably never gets drafted. Which isn't great for Dalen Terry

NIL says hi.

You think Dalen Terry would be making $3m+ a year in NIL money in college? I didn't even know who Dalen Terry was when we drafted him.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,695

Post#202 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:12 pm

drosestruts wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
drosestruts wrote:
But now he can develop (in theory) while getting money. This wasn't an option in college.

Also, based on his play, had he stayed in college he probably never gets drafted. Which isn't great for Dalen Terry

NIL says hi.

You think Dalen Terry would be making $3m+ a year in NIL money in college? I didn't even know who Dalen Terry was when we drafted him.

That wasn't the argument, you're changing it.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#203 » by drosestruts » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:25 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
drosestruts wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:NIL says hi.

There was no argument until you jumped in picking at semantics, splitting hairs, and trying to create one.

Everyone else agrees going to the NBA is and was the best move for Dalen.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,695

Post#204 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:31 pm

drosestruts wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
drosestruts wrote:

There was no argument until you jumped in picking at semantics, splitting hairs, and trying to create one.

Everyone else agrees going to the NBA is and was the best move for Dalen.

You said Dalen developing and getting money wouldn't have been an option if he stayed in school. With NIL, yes it would have.

He would have started for one of the biggest basketball schools in the country. He likely would not have gotten the same amount as his NBA contract, but he definitely would have got some decent scratch, likely 6 figures.

If he stayed in school he would likely have become more developed and less raw.
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,315

Post#205 » by Mbrahv0528 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:35 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
drosestruts wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:NIL says hi.

I don't think he would have made very much, if any money. So I'm not sure what your argument is?

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,085

Post#206 » by MrSparkle » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:43 pm

NBA? Yes.

Should he have been drafted in the 1st round? Nah.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,757

Post#207 » by dougthonus » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:52 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:If he stayed in school he would likely have become more developed and less raw.

He already had two years of school.

Given the agism that exists in the draft, it's pretty unlikely that he'd have come out ahead. He would have had to make absolutely massive strides to make up for being a year older. It's far more likely that being a professional basketball player that can focus on nothing other than basketball his whole life with a training staff more dedicated specifically to him, more money to spend on trainers, probably 2x+ as many games played and no limits on coached practice would allow him to develop considerably faster than being in college where he would play fewer games, against weaker competition, and have restrictions on trained practice time, and considerably less money to spend on trainers.

If you are a 1st rounder, your best outcome is almost ALWAYS to come out and get paid by NBA money. The myth that guys are going to develop better in college is just that, a myth. What is far more likely is they won't make massive strides in college and then just won't get drafted. The longer you are in college the easier it is for a team to project what you will be in the NBA and the more certain you are as a prospect. For a guy like Terry, whom is likely a non-NBA player, that just means he'd have never been drafted or been a 2nd rounder.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,530

Post#208 » by Mk0 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:29 pm

Terry seems like a good kid but at this point I am trying to figure out if we drafted him as a favor for his agent. I just don't get it.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
Guru
Starter
And1: 218

Post#209 » by Guru » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:35 pm

Yes
CROBulls
Junior
And1: 159

Post#210 » by CROBulls » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:09 pm

We drafting too many non NBA players lately. And you dont need to tell me draft is crapshoot. Maybe for you it is. For me is important and only viable way to build a contender unless your team is in LA or Miami.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#211 » by Jstock12 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:19 pm

sco wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
League Circles wrote:I actually think picking up this scrub's option is the most egregious move AK has made. Not the most damaging, but the most egregious.

Nothing can be more egregious than the Vuc trade.

It showed a complete misunderstanding of so many things:
1: Player evaluation - Drastically overvalued a player that had never been on a team that won more than 42 games in a decade, had below league average efficiency as a one way offensive only player, can't fit into any reasonable defensive scheme without causing significant problems, looked at a three month sample size of shooting out of 10 years and decided that three months was his true skill rather than an anomaly. It was like they were using 1980s level analysis to figure out if he's a good player.

2: Showed a lack of understanding of trade assets - Moved two lottery picks for him, a starting caliber player and took back bad salary. The price paid was obviously too high even if you misevaluated Vuc and thought he was much better.

4: Showed a lack of understanding of how trades work - You can't trade your way from a low 30s team to a good team because especially with a short timeline. That is fundamentally based on the thought that you are screwing over all the other teams in trades and are much smarter than them.

5: Showed a lack of understanding of context - Using all your assets to build a short timeline team makes no sense when your upside looks like 1st round after the moves.

6: Showed a lack of understanding of roster construction - Trying to put a no defense ball dominant center next to your no defense ball dominant guard was setting the stage for a lot of the problems we have today and further moves compounded them

It's hard to imagine making a move that shows just how incompetent you are on so many levels all at once.

In comparison, picking up Dalen Terry's option probably shows the following:
1: Sunk cost mentality - too scared to look bad by declining the option

2: Poor player evaluation - there is 0% chance Dalen Terry is going to come back and haunt you

Ignoring the impact of the moves (Vuc was obviously also much greater), the Vuc move appeased a fan base desperate for a big move, but was a poorly thought out, unmitigated disaster that was obviously going to create a disaster at the moment it was made.

with Ball being figuratively castrated

burlydee
Sixth Man
And1: 928

Post#212 » by burlydee » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:08 pm

This board is always like is Coby an NBA level player? Than he becomes one. Is Pat Will? Becomes one. Ayo? Becomes one. Markannen? Carter? How many times can this board be wrong on a young player?
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,920

Post#213 » by RSP83 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:28 am

If Terry can consistently hit that corner 3 he hit tonight, he has a chance to get a second contract.
Guru
Starter

Post#214 » by Guru » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:38 am

There are so many people very loudly wrong on this board.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,614
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#215 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:51 am

Guru wrote:There are so many people very loudly wrong on this board.

I don't think there are. Terry has not been remotely good since we've drafted him. I'm the eternal optimist and I still don't see it with him. I've big a huge supporter of Coby, PWill, and Vuc because I think they complement each other and we've seen flashes of them. I just haven't seen any legit flashes from Terry yet.

I hope he's the next Pippen, but you have to show it on the court.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#216 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:09 am

mlitney01 wrote:

I don't think there are. Terry has not been remotely good since we've drafted him. I'm the eternal optimist and I still don't see it with him. I've big a huge supporter of Coby, PWill, and Vuc because I think they complement each other and we've seen flashes of them. I just haven't seen any legit flashes from Terry yet.

He’s becoming a player that you can put on court and he doesn’t completely kill you. That’s a big improvement already from the start of the season. I think he will end up being a decent bench player and have a long career.
Guru
Starter

Post#217 » by Guru » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:10 am

mlitney01 wrote:

But he doesn't need to be the next Pippen to have worth. He can be a backup 2-3 who plays 20 minutes, runs from rim to rim, can aptly peskily guard the other teams 1-3 in a manner that keeps them from having success.

If he develops a shot, great, if he gets smarter with his movement on offense, great. That part of his game should come around. I assume the offensive spacing part will come first. He will start backdoor cutting and getting lots more rebounds and easy buckets. That will come with just minutes played.

You don't need to fill up a stat sheet to be a contributor.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,614
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#218 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:23 am

Guru wrote:
mlitney01 wrote:

But he doesn't need to be the next Pippen to have worth. He can be a backup 2-3 who plays 20 minutes, runs from rim to rim, can aptly peskily guard the other teams 1-3 in a manner that keeps them from having success.

If he develops a shot, great, if he gets smarter with his movement on offense, great. That part of his game should come around. I assume the offensive spacing part will come first. He will start backdoor cutting and getting lots more rebounds and easy buckets. That will come with just minutes played.

That's all very true. We just haven't seen it yet, which was my point. I like the kid and hope he can develop a shot and get smarter with movement, and all the other things. More rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, etc. It's a lot to ask from someone that raw. Do you give him a 2nd contract right now?
Guru
Starter

Post#219 » by Guru » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:46 am

mlitney01 wrote:
Guru wrote:
mlitney01 wrote:

That's all very true. We just haven't seen it yet, which was my point. I like the kid and hope he can develop a shot and get smarter with movement, and all the other things. More rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, etc. It's a lot to ask from someone that raw. Do you give him a 2nd contract right now?

With minutes the last 2 months or so he's shown his base is solid enough to be in the rotation. I think people act like we are playing with 5 basketballs on offense.

They already picked up his second contract technically. And yes.

Are there parameters to what that contract has to be?
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#220 » by Hangtime84 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:13 am

burlydee wrote:This board is always like is Coby an NBA level player? Than he becomes one. Is Pat Will? Becomes one. Ayo? Becomes one. Markannen? Carter? How many times can this board be wrong on a young player?

He just needs to hit his open shots
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.

Return to Chicago Bulls