Image ImageImage Image

Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player?

Yes?
38%
No?
62%

Total votes: 119

Guru
Starter
And1: 218

Re: Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player? 

Post#241 » by Guru » Mon Jan 1, 2024 8:26 pm

Andi Obst wrote:Still a complete 0 on offense.

He deserves credit for his energy, which really helps on defense, but he has a long way to go before he can actually help. He shouldn't play...but I get why he has to.

Very good defensive players shouldn't play? It's literally half of the game.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#242 » by Andi Obst » Tue Jan 2, 2024 11:08 am

Guru wrote:

He deserves credit for his energy, which really helps on defense, but he has a long way to go before he can actually help. He shouldn't play...but I get why he has to.

He's not a very good defensive player. He's definitely solid on that end, but he has a long way to go.

And even if he becomes very good, he has to be better offensively to be playable.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Guru
Starter

Post#243 » by Guru » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:46 am

Good game Terry
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,695

Post#244 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 5:13 am

When we drafted him, I really liked the idea of Dalen Terry: a lengthy, versatile 3&D guy with playmaking chops who can impact the game with his energy, defense, and ability to play and defend 1-4.

A more dynamic wing version of Shaun Livingston is what I envisioned.

I still think that's his ceiling, but his shot is a long way off. Improving his shot is imperative, as he'll struggle to get rotation minutes on a healthy team until he does. Our new shooting coach better be attached to his hip this summer.

Everything else seems to be there, or at least getting there, except for that shot. A couple other minor things like tightening his handle and playing more under control would be nice too.

Having said all that, we should have drafted Walker Kessler.
Guru
Starter

Post#245 » by Guru » Sat Jan 6, 2024 3:08 am

Yes

Don't need to score to have an impact on a team of scorers.
khufure
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#246 » by khufure » Sat Jan 6, 2024 3:32 am

compton's son
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,657

Post#247 » by sco » Sat Jan 6, 2024 3:41 am

Andi Obst wrote:
Guru wrote:

He's not a very good defensive player. He's definitely solid on that end, but he has a long way to go.

And even if he becomes very good, he has to be better offensively to be playable.

I'm with you, and it's not like he can't get there, but he's probably 2 years worth of offensive development away from me wanting to see him as part of the rotation.
:clap:
Guru
Starter

Post#248 » by Guru » Sat Jan 6, 2024 3:49 am

sco wrote:
Andi Obst wrote:
Guru wrote:

I'm with you, and it's not like he can't get there, but he's probably 2 years worth of offensive development away from me wanting to see him as part of the rotation.

Have you been watching? There is only one basketball. Every can't score.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,918

Post#249 » by RSP83 » Sat Jan 6, 2024 3:55 am

He need to shoot thousand of 3-points this summer. Really that's the only thing that will unlock his potential and the rest of his game. He need to get Lonzo's shooting coach number.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,695

Post#250 » by GoBlue72391 » Sat Jan 6, 2024 4:04 am

His floor/ceiling without a consistent shot is out of the league/back end of the roster guy.

His floor/ceiling with a consistent shot is key bench guy/back end starter.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,961

Post#251 » by Wingy » Sat Jan 6, 2024 4:33 am

GoBlue72391 wrote:His floor/ceiling without a consistent shot is out of the league/back end of the roster guy.

His floor/ceiling with a consistent shot is key bench guy/back end starter.

Nah, he will always find a job with his defensive energy and being a likable teammate. The thread’s main question has always been pretty silly.

Now a good nba player? I get why people would debate that.
Guru
Starter

Post#252 » by Guru » Sat Jan 6, 2024 5:18 am

He was drafted to be a backup role player with upside on a team that we thought would be
Ball-White
Lavine
DDR
PWill (A version close to himself now but probably better)
Vuc

That team doesn't need more scoring that team needs energy and defense.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,918

Post#253 » by RSP83 » Sat Jan 6, 2024 6:13 am

If Dalen can be a respectable 3-point shooter, he can be like a Torrey Craig with a bit ball handling and creation skill, and run the break either as the runner or the ball handler. Which probably make him something like a poor man's Lonzo Ball.

His potential is definitely glue guy role player type.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,609
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#254 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Sat Jan 6, 2024 7:29 am

Guru wrote:
mlitney01 wrote:
Guru wrote:
But he doesn't need to be the next Pippen to have worth. He can be a backup 2-3 who plays 20 minutes, runs from rim to rim, can aptly peskily guard the other teams 1-3 in a manner that keeps them from having success.

If he develops a shot, great, if he gets smarter with his movement on offense, great. That part of his game should come around. I assume the offensive spacing part will come first. He will start backdoor cutting and getting lots more rebounds and easy buckets. That will come with just minutes played.

You don't need to fill up a stat sheet to be a contributor.

That's all very true. We just haven't seen it yet, which was my point. I like the kid and hope he can develop a shot and get smarter with movement, and all the other things. More rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, etc. It's a lot to ask from someone that raw. Do you give him a 2nd contract right now?

With minutes the last 2 months or so he's shown his base is solid enough to be in the rotation. I think people act like we are playing with 5 basketballs on offense.

They already picked up his second contract technically. And yes.

Are there parameters to what that contract has to be?

Okay Dalen, I see you.
Rose2Boozer
Starter
And1: 647

Post#255 » by Rose2Boozer » Sat Jan 6, 2024 4:52 pm

If Terry continues to work on his body and three point shot, he'll be a better version of Craig. Dude has good ball skills and a high motor. I wish P Maybe had Terry's motor.
ROLES & HOLES
sco
RealGM

Post#256 » by sco » Sun Jan 7, 2024 12:56 am

Rose2Boozer wrote:If Terry continues to work on his body and three point shot, he'll be a better version of Craig. Dude has good ball skills and a high motor. I wish P Maybe had Terry's motor.

Sure, but I think that notion implies that he'll become an average NBA 3pt shooter. At this point, that seems unlikely.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,245

Post#257 » by Dan Z » Sun Jan 7, 2024 1:13 am

sco wrote:
Rose2Boozer wrote:If Terry continues to work on his body and three point shot, he'll be a better version of Craig. Dude has good ball skills and a high motor. I wish P Maybe had Terry's motor.

Sure, but I think that notion implies that he'll become an average NBA 3pt shooter. At this point, that seems unlikely.

Torrey Craig was 27 years old during his first year in the NBA and wasn't a good three point shooter. Dalen Terry is 21 year old.

I say that and I'm not big on Terry. I just point it out because...who knows? He's young.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#258 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun Jan 7, 2024 1:14 am

sco wrote:

Based on what? He’s 21 years old. I doubt he would he’ll be making pull-up 3s or step backs, but he can absolutely be average at shooting open spot up 3s. Which is what you need from role players.
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 717

Post#259 » by Charlesareed » Sun Jan 7, 2024 2:24 am

His body is so think not KD or Ingram slim tho he needs to work on his body his ball handling & his 3pt shot
Chicago Raised me
sco
RealGM

Post#260 » by sco » Sun Jan 7, 2024 2:59 pm

Dan Z wrote:
sco wrote:

Torrey Craig was 27 years old during his first year in the NBA and wasn't a good three point shooter. Dalen Terry is 21 year old.

I say that and I'm not big on Terry. I just point it out because...who knows? He's young.

I understand, but I am generally against the notion that good defensive players are likely to become average 3pt shooters over time because for every example like Craig, there are 10 Shaq Harrisons. My point is good defensive players who can't contribute in the scoring column isn't worth much to most teams.

Now to be fair on Terry, listening to Billy's recent comments, the goal for this season with Terry is just to minimize the bone-headed plays, which I do see progress on.

Return to Chicago Bulls