Image ImageImage Image

Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player?

Yes?
38%
No?
62%

Total votes: 119

League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Re: Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player? 

Post#181 » by League Circles » Wed Nov 1, 2023 6:12 pm

Chi town wrote:
League Circles wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I know the impact is unlikely to be significant, but this is just an epic fail by AK. Furthers the notion that he can't admit mistakes. Smfh

Exactly. He will say it’s because he believes in Dalen but it’s really because he wants to cover for his mistake and he thinks he could use him for salary filler trade.

The other issue is why stack a roster where a young player will never get Mins?!??

This is such AWFUL leadership on all sides.

Draft shooting you idiot!!!

Yeah I'm a big believer in not having too many young guys on a roster simultaneously, even in a "rebuilding" phase, especially at the same position.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,311

Post#182 » by d boy gentleman » Tue Nov 7, 2023 7:20 pm

Now, I'm not saying that he will turn out to be this player, nor am I saying that he will be, but look at Anfernee Simons. He was deep on Portland's bench and the G League for years until he began to show promise. That being said, it's also an indication of just how poor player development is in this organization.
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,245

Post#183 » by Dan Z » Wed Nov 8, 2023 6:29 am

d boy gentleman wrote:Now, I'm not saying that he will turn out to be this player, nor am I saying that he will be, but look at Anfernee Simons. He was deep on Portland's bench and the G League for years until he began to show promise. That being said, it's also an indication of just how poor player development is in this organization.

I always thought it would take time with Terry much like Simons, but when you look at their stats Terry is still very far away. Age 21 for Simons was his third year and he had already played 90 NBA games before that season. Terry has only played 42 games total.

It could be a situation where there's no room on the roster to develop him at that NBA level, but so far he hasn't shown anything to make the team give him that opportunity.
JimmyButler21
Starter
And1: 1,570

Post#184 » by JimmyButler21 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:47 am

Read on Twitter
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#185 » by Andi Obst » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:29 am

JimmyButler21 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Just watched the game (at least parts of it). DT got hurt on his only field goal (a wide open dunk), tried to come back for a couple of minutes and then went to the locker room. He was terrible in his minutes, but the injury should be mentioned (although the team didn't mention it anywhere it seems, so it's kinda their fault).

One thing is for sure: the Windy City Bulls will push the tempo. That team is RUNNING and they will force their way to the rim. Some notes on other players:

- It's too bad Chris Clemons is so small because I love that dude's energy and speed. Watching him and Quenton Jackson creating chaos on defense and pushing the tempo on offense is very fun.

- Jalen Harris is interesting. I remember that some draft people liked him as a sleeper. Then the NBA banned him for a year for drugs...so we'll see if he ever gets a chance again. Worth keeping an eye on IMO.

- Sanogo and Favors got destroyed by Garza at the rim. Probably not the best sign. Favors looks extremely old.

- Justin Lewis is the Windy City version of Patrick Williams. He's there physically, but that's about it.

- Bitim had some unlucky plays and a really bad shooting night. Probably needs time to adjust to the insane pace.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,641

Post#186 » by DuckIII » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:36 pm

d boy gentleman wrote:Now, I'm not saying that he will turn out to be this player, nor am I saying that he will be, but look at Anfernee Simons. He was deep on Portland's bench and the G League for years until he began to show promise. That being said, it's also an indication of just how poor player development is in this organization.

Up front admission, I put player development much more on the player than the organization. I’m not suggesting basketball is easy, but we aren’t talking about astrophysics here where the boundaries are limitless and always being pushed to totally new places. Teams are all basically operating from the same information when it comes to teaching basketball skills.

The area where I do put it on the team is how a player is used during live games to develop through that specific combination of experiences. And that’s important but it’s still just a piece. Most of it is the player.

And with the player that is Dalen Terry I don’t think organizational development is an issue at all. He was a huge reach in the early second half of the first round and you could see right away that he really didn’t have any skills and his athleticism was subpar. He has some nice intangibles on D and some creative passing vision but that’s really it.

While I also realize this was a terrible organization for him to be drafted into due to ridiculous role redundancy, I think we just need to accept he was a bad first round pick and as a simple matter of skills and physical traits was always a long shot to pan out.

Maybe he will find a role in the NBA somewhere and someday, but it won’t be here and it probably won’t be anywhere.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#187 » by League Circles » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:18 pm

I actually think picking up this scrub's option is the most egregious move AK has made. Not the most damaging, but the most egregious.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Flopper
Veteran
And1: 2,480

Post#188 » by Flopper » Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:30 pm

Right now no, but I hesitate to completely write off any young player (not named Denzel Valentine) simply because the margins are so thin between G-League scrub and and NBA rotation player. It's not unfathomable to think that Terry could become rotation viable with the development of a semi-reliable 3p shot.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,713

Post#189 » by madvillian » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:46 pm

New title: Is Dalen Terry a G League level player?
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,753

Post#190 » by dougthonus » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:31 pm

League Circles wrote:I actually think picking up this scrub's option is the most egregious move AK has made. Not the most damaging, but the most egregious.

Nothing can be more egregious than the Vuc trade.

It showed a complete misunderstanding of so many things:
1: Player evaluation - Drastically overvalued a player that had never been on a team that won more than 42 games in a decade, had below league average efficiency as a one way offensive only player, can't fit into any reasonable defensive scheme without causing significant problems, looked at a three month sample size of shooting out of 10 years and decided that three months was his true skill rather than an anomaly. It was like they were using 1980s level analysis to figure out if he's a good player.

2: Showed a lack of understanding of trade assets - Moved two lottery picks for him, a starting caliber player and took back bad salary. The price paid was obviously too high even if you misevaluated Vuc and thought he was much better.

4: Showed a lack of understanding of how trades work - You can't trade your way from a low 30s team to a good team because especially with a short timeline. That is fundamentally based on the thought that you are screwing over all the other teams in trades and are much smarter than them.

5: Showed a lack of understanding of context - Using all your assets to build a short timeline team makes no sense when your upside looks like 1st round after the moves.

6: Showed a lack of understanding of roster construction - Trying to put a no defense ball dominant center next to your no defense ball dominant guard was setting the stage for a lot of the problems we have today and further moves compounded them

It's hard to imagine making a move that shows just how incompetent you are on so many levels all at once.

In comparison, picking up Dalen Terry's option probably shows the following:
1: Sunk cost mentality - too scared to look bad by declining the option

2: Poor player evaluation - there is 0% chance Dalen Terry is going to come back and haunt you

Ignoring the impact of the moves (Vuc was obviously also much greater), the Vuc move appeased a fan base desperate for a big move, but was a poorly thought out, unmitigated disaster that was obviously going to create a disaster at the moment it was made.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,431

Post#191 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:55 am

dougthonus wrote:
League Circles wrote:I actually think picking up this scrub's option is the most egregious move AK has made. Not the most damaging, but the most egregious.

1: Player evaluation - Drastically overvalued a player that had never been on a team that won more than 42 games in a decade, had below league average efficiency as a one way offensive only player, can't fit into any reasonable defensive scheme without causing significant problems, looked at a three month sample size of shooting out of 10 years and decided that three months was his true skill rather than an anomaly. It was like they were using 1980s level analysis to figure out if he's a good player.

2: Showed a lack of understanding of trade assets - Moved two lottery picks for him, a starting caliber player and took back bad salary. The price paid was obviously too high even if you misevaluated Vuc and thought he was much better.

4: Showed a lack of understanding of how trades work - You can't trade your way from a low 30s team to a good team because especially with a short timeline. That is fundamentally based on the thought that you are screwing over all the other teams in trades and are much smarter than them.

5: Showed a lack of understanding of context - Using all your assets to build a short timeline team makes no sense when your upside looks like 1st round after the moves.

6: Showed a lack of understanding of roster construction - Trying to put a no defense ball dominant center next to your no defense ball dominant guard was setting the stage for a lot of the problems we have today and further moves compounded them

It's hard to imagine making a move that shows just how incompetent you are on so many levels all at once.

2: Poor player evaluation - there is 0% chance Dalen Terry is going to come back and haunt you

Ignoring the impact of the moves (Vuc was obviously also much greater), the Vuc move appeased a fan base desperate for a big move, but was a poorly thought out, unmitigated disaster that was obviously going to create a disaster at the moment it was made.

Just to be clear you are pretty pro AKME (green font implied)
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,611

Post#192 » by jacoby1us » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:40 pm

This guy should have stayed in college, he is years away from even being a worthy G-Leaguer.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
IamSam
Senior
And1: 218

Post#193 » by IamSam » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:41 pm

It's really discouraging as a fan to see that a player the Bull's selected mid-first round not only can't crack the rotation for the team but also can barely get on the floor for the G-league team. I mean, for crying out loud... the Bull's had the 2023 G-league MVP and even HE hasn't made it to the NBA... you know, this has me really wondering to what extent teams are really enjoying the benefit of development in the G-league.
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,413

Post#194 » by Muzbar » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:36 am

IamSam wrote:It's really discouraging as a fan to see that a player the Bull's selected mid-first round not only can't crack the rotation for the team but also can barely get on the floor for the G-league team. I mean, for crying out loud... the Bull's had the 2023 G-league MVP and even HE hasn't made it to the NBA... you know, this has me really wondering to what extent teams are really enjoying the benefit of development in the G-league.

Dalen is injured, you don't usually play when you're injured...
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#195 » by drosestruts » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:25 pm

jacoby1us wrote:This guy should have stayed in college, he is years away from even being a worthy G-Leaguer.

But now he can develop (in theory) while getting money. This wasn't an option in college.

Also, based on his play, had he stayed in college he probably never gets drafted. Which isn't great for Dalen Terry
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,656

Post#196 » by sco » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:54 pm

dougthonus wrote:

I agree that the Vuc trade worked out horribly for us! But I cut AK some slack in that it was it least clear to me that he had a plan to build a roster with Vuc as his poor man's Joker (play-making, inside and outside scoring big), coupled with 2 defensive elites like Ball and Caruso and two offensive elites in Zach and Demar. The situation obviously deviated from plan with Ball being figuratively castrated, which had the follow-up effect of making those picks way more valuable than they otherwise would have been.
:clap:
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,611

Post#197 » by jacoby1us » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:03 pm

drosestruts wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:This guy should have stayed in college, he is years away from even being a worthy G-Leaguer.

But now he can develop (in theory) while getting money. This wasn't an option in college.

Also, based on his play, had he stayed in college he probably never gets drafted. Which isn't great for Dalen Terry

Absolutely makes sense for him, as for the Bulls and there lack of scouting/development it makes ZERO sense.
:nonono: :crazy:
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,019

Post#198 » by Chi town » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:09 pm

OP… We are about to find out. He will be getting lots of burn post Lavine and DDR trades.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,695

Post#199 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:18 pm

Muzbar wrote:
IamSam wrote:It's really discouraging as a fan to see that a player the Bull's selected mid-first round not only can't crack the rotation for the team but also can barely get on the floor for the G-league team. I mean, for crying out loud... the Bull's had the 2023 G-league MVP and even HE hasn't made it to the NBA... you know, this has me really wondering to what extent teams are really enjoying the benefit of development in the G-league.

Dalen is injured, you don't usually play when you're injured...

Or in Dalen's case, you don't usually play when you're healthy either.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,695

Post#200 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:18 pm

drosestruts wrote:

NIL says hi.

Return to Chicago Bulls