Image ImageImage Image

How Many Wins, 1st guess

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

End of July vote-how many wins?

1 under 30 (bad start, go to tank)
4%
2 31-35 (this would be the worst season possible)
10%
3 36-40 (Playin team again)
23%
4 41-45 (1st round fodder)
35%
5 46-50 (pleasant surprise, maybe sneak into 2nd round)
25%
6 51-55 (big surprise, Donovan is COY)
4%

Total votes: 111

Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,528

Re: How Many Wins, 1st guess 

Post#41 » by Michael Jackson » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:00 pm

prolific passer wrote:
BullChit wrote:0-82
The first year we couldn't beat good teams but could beat bad teams
Year 2 we could beat good teams but not bad teams.
Year 3 we cant beat either good or bad...

I see patterns guys.. it's what I do...

If they had a pick they would somehow end up getting the last pick of the teams who didn't make the playoffs because that's just the way it is for the bulls.

Actually do have a pick but this is supposed to be a lackluster draft much like the PWill draft….
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,282

Post#42 » by prolific passer » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:17 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
prolific passer wrote:
BullChit wrote:0-82
The first year we couldn't beat good teams but could beat bad teams
Year 2 we could beat good teams but not bad teams.
Year 3 we cant beat either good or bad...

I see patterns guys.. it's what I do...

If they had a pick they would somehow end up getting the last pick of the teams who didn't make the playoffs because that's just the way it is for the bulls.

Actually do have a pick but this is supposed to be a lackluster draft much like the PWill draft….

There have been quite a few lackluster drafts these past few years.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,695

Post#43 » by GoBlue72391 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:09 pm

The Box Office wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
The Box Office wrote:The truth: We don't know.

However, 31-35 wins is about right unless Pat Williams/Ayo/Coby White step up another level.
We're somehow 5 to 9 games worse than last year despite at least partially addressing a few of our biggest weaknesses? How does that work?

It's just a guess. Not a fact. I also wrote "Unless Pat Williams/Ayo/Coby White step up another level."

Did you guess correctly that we missed the playoffs last season?

Honestly I don't remember what I predicted for last season, but I probably went with play-in team/1st round exit.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,695

Post#44 » by GoBlue72391 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:10 pm

PJSteven22 wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
The Box Office wrote:The truth: We don't know.

However, 31-35 wins is about right unless Pat Williams/Ayo/Coby White step up another level.
We're somehow 5 to 9 games worse than last year despite at least partially addressing a few of our biggest weaknesses? How does that work?

Teams around us got better and the younger teams are taking a step.

Some people are saying the East got worse, some are saying it got better.
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,282

Post#45 » by prolific passer » Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:50 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
PJSteven22 wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:We're somehow 5 to 9 games worse than last year despite at least partially addressing a few of our biggest weaknesses? How does that work?

Bulls just stay the same. Continuity. :rock: :rockon:
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,260

Post#46 » by TheJordanRule » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:27 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
PJSteven22 wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:We're somehow 5 to 9 games worse than last year despite at least partially addressing a few of our biggest weaknesses? How does that work?

Summary
The top four teams, if they stay as is, are just as strong as ever (Bucks, Celts, Sixers, Cavs). The Sixers might dramatically dip though if Embiid or Harden leave. The Knicks may be trending up, building on last year's strong performance because they have solid strong young talent. The Heat might be the 6th best team, since they lost a bunch of talent but added two solid rotation players through free agency. Everyone else is probably trending down or staying where they were. The Nets are garbage. The Hawks lost John Collins so they might lose a step or stay at the same place they were because their roster is still deep. Young teams (the Magic, the Pacers) seem like they got a shot at the bottom of the East but their rosters are extremely speculative and depend on their youngsters to have breakout seasons while other young teams (Hornets, Pistons) seem way to raw to even have a fighting chance at the playoff fringes. Then you got the straight up tankers (Raptors, Wizards).

Quick refresher of the major players based on last year's standings:
1. Bucks - were the top seed in the East last year before getting rolled by Miami, still have all their main dudes
2. Celtics - stayed about even, losing depth like Marcus Smart, Grant Williams, and Danillo Gallinari but upgraded their starting line up via Kristaps Porzingis... might become the best East team by far if they stay healthy.
3. Sixers - Harden may leave, which would likely crush this team, but it hasn't happened yet; Joel Embiid wants out, which would absolutely devastate the team, but that hasn't happened yet either; didn't draft anyone but signed Mo Bamba and Pat Bev... this is the most mysterious team still remaining. If they keep Harden, it's probably a lock for a top 3 spot in the East.
4. Cavs - Mild to moderate upgrades for their roster since they traded for Max Strus, signed Ty Jerome, and brought in Caris Levert for the tail end of last season. Evan Mobley and Darius Garland are the core of this newly successful franchise, but their vets like Ricky Rubio and Damian Jones can play some respectable minutes, too.
5. Knicks - after bagging the biggest steal in FA last season, this team has a surprisingly young upside core with Jalen Brunson, Julius Randle, Mitchell Robinson, RJ Barrett, etc.
6. Nets - This trashfire team lost relevance immediately after KD, Kyrie, and Harden all bolted their roster. The strength of their 6th place finish was built on the backs of the great dudes who ditched this team. Can the core of Ben Simmons, Mikhail Bridges, and Nic Claxton do anything, now that they spent two late first round picks AND signed Darius Bazely + Lonnie Walker? I kinda doubt it.
7. Hawks - lost John Collins to Utah, which you'd have to think probably hurts them and didn't sign anyone significant in FA but a starting line up of Trae Young / Dejounte Murray / Saddiq Bey/ De'Andre Hunter / Clint Capella still looks good to me
8. Heat - fresh off this year's Finals appearance, they've lost Victor Oladipo, Max Strus, and a bunch of other guys on their bench but I love the dudes they grabbed in free agency-- Thomas Bryant and Josh Richardson-- and Tyler Herro is back after adding an intense amount of muscles to his frame. I could buy into a Lowry/Herro/Jimmy/Bam/Bryant starting line up with Richardson and Kevin Love off the bench as much as what the Knicks got going on at the very least.

Where do we place within this group? My guess is that, if the Sixers keep everyone in spite of the creepy recent "blow it all up" vibe, maybe we're at 5th or 6th. Otherwise between 7th or 8th? What do you think?

9. The Raptors lost Fred Vanvleet and replaced him with Dennis Schroeder, a move which brings them deeper down the lotto tree because the only other established star on this roster is Siakim, and he's not even that good, or maybe Scottie Barnes who's very young and not even established
11. Pacers have Haliburton, and a decent starting line up (Myles Turner, Bruce Brown, Jarace Walker (#8th pick in the draft), & Buddy Hield but the roster is unproven and so is the depth.
12. Wizards are in full tank mode after losing Bradley Beal, Kristaps Porzingis and Chris Paul.
13. On paper the Magic look solid. Do you believe in a Markelle Fultz/Jalen Suggs/Franz Wagner/Paolo Banchero/WCJ starting line up, with dudes like Jonathan Isaac and Joe Ingles off the bench? Maybe this is the year each of these dudes takes a step up... but there's just no way to really tell.
14. Hornets might have two good foundational pieces to build on (Lamelo, Brandon Miller - #2 pick in the latest NBA draft) but the rest of the roster doesn't seem elevated enough for that to matter much even in the Least right now
15. If you look at the number of super high lotto picks on the Pistons roster, you'd be hopeful - Cade Cunningham, James Wiseman, Jaden Ivy, Jalen Duren, Killian Hayes, Marvin Bagley, etc. Really seems like another year in the tank is up ahead for now though.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#47 » by drosestruts » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:27 pm

I've got us at 49 wins - where the winds up putting us in the standings I do not know.

We've seen what the team is capable with a 3&d point guard, which we'll once again have.

Zach started last season still recovering, hopefully he's able to come out of the gate firing on all cylinders.

And then continued improvement from Coby and Pat.

The ingredients, to me, are there for a more successful season.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,331

Post#48 » by coldfish » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:36 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
PJSteven22 wrote:Teams around us got better and the younger teams are taking a step.

Summary
The top four teams, if they stay as is, are just as strong as ever (Bucks, Celts, Sixers, Cavs). The Sixers might dramatically dip though if Embiid or Harden leave. The Knicks may be trending up, building on last year's strong performance because they have solid strong young talent. The Heat might be the 6th best team, since they lost a bunch of talent but added two solid rotation players through free agency. Everyone else is probably trending down or staying where they were. The Nets are garbage. The Hawks lost John Collins so they might lose a step or stay at the same place they were because their roster is still deep. Young teams (the Magic, the Pacers) seem like they got a shot at the bottom of the East but their rosters are extremely speculative and depend on their youngsters to have breakout seasons while other young teams (Hornets, Pistons) seem way to raw to even have a fighting chance at the playoff fringes. Then you got the straight up tankers (Raptors, Wizards).

1. Bucks - were the top seed in the East last year before getting rolled by Miami, still have all their main dudes
2. Celtics - stayed about even, losing depth like Marcus Smart, Grant Williams, and Danillo Gallinari but upgraded their starting line up via Kristaps Porzingis... might become the best East team by far if they stay healthy.
3. Sixers - Harden may leave, which would likely crush this team, but it hasn't happened yet; Joel Embiid wants out, which would absolutely devastate the team, but that hasn't happened yet either; didn't draft anyone but signed Mo Bamba and Pat Bev... this is the most mysterious team still remaining. If they keep Harden, it's probably a lock for a top 3 spot in the East.
4. Cavs - Mild to moderate upgrades for their roster since they traded for Max Strus, signed Ty Jerome, and brought in Caris Levert for the tail end of last season. Evan Mobley and Darius Garland are the core of this newly successful franchise, but their vets like Ricky Rubio and Damian Jones can play some respectable minutes, too.
5. Knicks - after bagging the biggest steal in FA last season, this team has a surprisingly young upside core with Jalen Brunson, Julius Randle, Mitchell Robinson, RJ Barrett, etc.
6. Nets - This trashfire team lost relevance immediately after KD, Kyrie, and Harden all bolted their roster. The strength of their 6th place finish was built on the backs of the great dudes who ditched this team. Can the core of Ben Simmons, Mikhail Bridges, and Nic Claxton do anything, now that they spent two late first round picks AND signed Darius Bazely + Lonnie Walker? I kinda doubt it.
7. Hawks - lost John Collins to Utah, which you'd have to think probably hurts them and didn't sign anyone significant in FA but a starting line up of Trae Young / Dejounte Murray / Saddiq Bey/ De'Andre Hunter / Clint Capella still looks good to me
8. Heat - fresh off this year's Finals appearance, they've lost Victor Oladipo, Max Strus, and a bunch of other guys on their bench but I love the dudes they grabbed in free agency-- Thomas Bryant and Josh Richardson-- and Tyler Herro is back after adding an intense amount of muscles to his frame. I could buy into a Lowry/Herro/Jimmy/Bam/Bryant starting line up with Richardson and Kevin Love off the bench as much as what the Knicks got going on at the very least.

Where do we place within this group? My guess is that, if the Sixers keep everyone in spite of the creepy recent "blow it all up" vibe, maybe we're at 5th or 6th. Otherwise between 7th or 8th? What do you think?

9. The Raptors lost Fred Vanvleet and replaced him with Dennis Schroeder, a move which brings them deeper down the lotto tree because the only other established star on this roster is Siakim, and he's not even that good, or maybe Scottie Barnes who's very young and not even established
11. Pacers have Haliburton, and a decent starting line up (Myles Turner, Bruce Brown, Jarace Walker (#8th pick in the draft), & Buddy Hield but the roster is unproven and so is the depth.
12. Wizards are in full tank mode after losing Bradley Beal, Kristaps Porzingis and Chris Paul.
13. On paper the Magic look solid. Do you believe in a Markelle Fultz/Jalen Suggs/Franz Wagner/Paolo Banchero/WCJ starting line up, with dudes like Jonathan Isaac and Joe Ingles off the bench? Maybe this is the year each of these dudes takes a step up... but there's just no way to really tell.
14. Hornets might have two good foundational pieces to build on (Lamelo, Brandon Miller - #2 pick in the latest NBA draft) but the rest of the roster doesn't seem elevated enough for that to matter much even in the Least right now
15. If you look at the number of super high lotto picks on the Pistons roster, you'd be hopeful - Cade Cunningham, James Wiseman, Jaden Ivy, Jalen Duren, Killian Hayes, Marvin Bagley, etc. Really seems like another year in the tank is up ahead for now though.

Good breakdown.

i just have to note that this leaves one pushover team in the east: The Wizards. Outside of that, you aren't going to be able to mail it in against just about anyone. IMO, that is going to push down win totals.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,275

Post#49 » by kodo » Tue Aug 1, 2023 2:58 am

What will be interesting to see is if the Bulls connect their actual W-L with how many games they "should" be winning. All season long the Bulls underperformed to close out games they should have won.

Post ASG, the Bulls were #2 in net rating and +/-. But the Bulls were #6 in W-L.
Usually these are closer, Boston was #1 in net rating and #2 in W-L. Atlanta was #8 in net rating, #8 in W-L.

NBA.com says if the score was within 5 points with 3 minutes left, Chicago was 29th in the league at winning.
But for the majority of minutes, Chicago had enough defense and just enough offense to win a lot of games, just couldn't close the deal. Are Carter & Craig enough to fix whatever issue that stopped Chicago from closing out games? :dontknow:
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#50 » by FriedRise » Tue Aug 1, 2023 4:02 am

kodo wrote:What will be interesting to see is if the Bulls connect their actual W-L with how many games they "should" be winning. All season long the Bulls underperformed to close out games they should have won.

Post ASG, the Bulls were #2 in net rating and +/-. But the Bulls were #6 in W-L.
Usually these are closer, Boston was #1 in net rating and #2 in W-L. Atlanta was #8 in net rating, #8 in W-L.

NBA.com says if the score was within 5 points with 3 minutes left, Chicago was 29th in the league at winning.
But for the majority of minutes, Chicago had enough defense and just enough offense to win a lot of games, just couldn't close the deal. Are Carter & Craig enough to fix whatever issue that stopped Chicago from closing out games? :dontknow:

Feels like in those close games we either got hosed by the refs or the other team just had a player who would hit some crazy game winner against us. Just completely unlucky, which in sports apparently count for a lot. I know most teams probably deal with this kinda stuff all year, but the Bulls we have got to lead the league in these factors alone. Maybe at least 10 games we lost because of that.

Craig and Carter - I honestly would be happy if all they do is raise the floor of this team so we can stop blowing double digit leads. We'd be up 20+ points halfway through the 3rd and I still wouldn't feel confident. Lost a handful of games that way also.
PJSteven22
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#51 » by PJSteven22 » Tue Aug 1, 2023 4:31 am

TheJordanRule wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
PJSteven22 wrote:Teams around us got better and the younger teams are taking a step.

Summary

The Pacers with Tyrese Halliburton were a +6 point differential. If he stays healthy, the Pacers will be better than the Bulls.
The Hornets were a 10th seed with a healthy Lamelo.
The Orlando Magic have a ton of young talent.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,791

Post#52 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Aug 1, 2023 9:43 am

46-50 to wins and 4 or 5 seed. I think this will we be a bounce back season.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,791

Post#53 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Aug 1, 2023 9:45 am

PJSteven22 wrote:
TheJordanRule wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:Some people are saying the East got worse, some are saying it got better.

Summary

The Pacers with Tyrese Halliburton were a +6 point differential. If he stays healthy, the Pacers will be better than the Bulls.
The Hornets were a 10th seed with a healthy Lamelo.
The Orlando Magic have a ton of young talent.

Bulls will be better than all of those teams. Especially Orlando. A team full of young talent that does know how to win games. They are in a bad cycle right now that can happen when start tanking.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,096

Post#54 » by MrSparkle » Tue Aug 1, 2023 8:13 pm

I think AKME actually put together a fine team: good depth chart, good salary, good trade pieces -- especially considering Lonzo's injury/dead-cap. IMO a top-notch coach would have this team at 46-54 wins (Pop, Spo, Carlisle).

I'm pretty worried that Billy's not going to be able to manage the correct rotations to win a lot of games. I'm foreseeing a lot of closing line-ups that'll have some combos of Jevon, Vuc, Caruso (not to mention Ayo), when playing "big" with Coby or Caruso at PG, Patrick at SF, Drummond at C would be a more appropriate line-up. Considering we play some of the most uninteresting half-court ball, I don't understand why Zach/Demar/Pat/Craig/Vuc wouldn't be given some consideration. What's the worst thing that'll happen... Zach or Demar try to isolate? :lol:

I just don't have much faith in wins if Billy's gonna try small ball again, for 82 games. I get it- Bev/Caruso/Zach/Demar/Vuc looked good on adv. stat sheets, and they played competently that last month of the season. But if you're giving up a combined 10-15" and 30-50 pounds to the other team, and ball-handling, shooting and speed aren't even your squad's calling card, then why are you giving up all that size? You need to play/develop your best shooters and most mobile AND big players.

So we'll see. In an ideal world, Jevon is like P-Bev with 3P touch. But I'd have to question why the contender Bucks would let such a player go for $6m. They seem to have the right idea, in that they're loaded with bigger/taller players at every position, who also actually shoot the ball better than all our guys. I'm fundamentally confused by the decision to double down on undersized, mediocre shooters. I hope I'm wrong about Jevon, but I just don't see him coming to Bulls' spacing and shooting 40% with higher volume and higher pressure. Craig was a step in the correct direction, but I also don't have much faith in a 33yo vet min journeyman who was let go by a short-handed contender.

We still don't have 1 guy who can actually match up with Giannis. I mean, Billy had DJJ as an option, but didn't seem interested in actually playing him in a bigger role. I get that this easier said than done, but it doesn't help when on top of Giannis bullying our sandbags-for-feet bigs and Pat/Demar, we're also giving up physicality and length to Grayson Allen and Connaughton. That wouldn't happen if you just played your taller options at 1-4.

So unless everything clicks in a Disney Mighty Ducks kind of a way (which would heavily involve PW and Coby finally stepping up into full-time starters: 15+ PPG scorers with net-neutral defense), reality is that this team is going to just lose with the same basic math: worse 3P%s, worse rebounding, giving up easy points in the paint, giving up more open 3Ps. Each solution to these problems opens the other hole.

I kinda smell 41 wins with some trades at the deadline. I still think free agency was a bit of a success, given that we didn't lose one single asset, but rather resigned everybody to a value deal. But now that that's done, some difficult trades have to be made. We have way too many undersized guards and slow-footed Cs, 1-way iso wings, and no primary playmaker. Like the prior year, you have to decide between Caruso/Jevon/Ayo/Coby - in an ideal world, we have just 1 of these guys on the bench, and an actual star caliber PG. Not 4 of them sharing minutes at the forward position. :noway:
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,621
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#55 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Tue Aug 1, 2023 10:18 pm

I picked the worst thing that could happen. 46-50 wins, although I think a 1st round exit. Just enough success to run it back for another season.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,771

Post#56 » by Jeffster81 » Mon Aug 7, 2023 11:12 am

Spoiler:

*Cannot predict now.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,716

Post#57 » by madvillian » Mon Aug 7, 2023 5:42 pm

I went 46-50. On paper this team is 5-6 games better than last year's. That also assumes pretty good health. If Zach or Vuc misses a lot of time we're boned. But Zach seems to be taking good care of his body as he ages and Vuc if nothing else is an iron man. We don't have a lot of injury prone guys anymore, thank goodness.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,776

Post#58 » by dougthonus » Mon Aug 7, 2023 6:45 pm

Without thinking about it super deeply, my off the cuff feeling about our starting position ignoring injuries / major events:

Almost certainly better than us:
Milwaukee
Boston
Philly
Cleveland

Likely better than us:
Miami
New York

Same tier as us, could go either way:
Brooklyn
Atlanta
Indiana

Likely better than them:
Orlando
Toronto
Charlotte

Almost certainly better than them:
Detroit
Washington
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,716

Post#59 » by madvillian » Mon Aug 7, 2023 6:49 pm

Hard for me to say Miami and Knicks are likely better than Chicago. Both those teams over achieved and lost more (at least relative to Chicago) than they added in FA. I'd put them with Chicago in that tier with BK, ATL, Indy.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,429

Post#60 » by jnrjr79 » Mon Aug 7, 2023 7:30 pm

madvillian wrote:Hard for me to say Miami and Knicks are likely better than Chicago. Both those teams over achieved and lost more (at least relative to Chicago) than they added in FA. I'd put them with Chicago in that tier with BK, ATL, Indy.

Miami is still just a massive TBD due to the Dame trade potential, as well.

With New York, I could easily see the inevitable Thibs burnout hitting, so I think the Bulls could be better, but I'm not 100% convinced they will be.

Return to Chicago Bulls