Image ImageImage Image

Why is Jerry one of the worst owners in the NBA

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,994

Re: Why is Jerry one of the worst owners in the NBA 

Post#41 » by Wingy » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:20 pm

The Oklahoma City Thunder.

Oklahoma.
City.

Already flush with a bajillion future draft picks, still just took on ~ $4.5 million to obtain two 2nd round picks 3.5 & 4.5 years away.

When in position to do so, when do we ever swing this type of deal?

This is why I can’t stand this ownership group.

[10/29/23 Edit: OKC already had 33 future picks when they took on this additional $4.5MM salary. Perspective, Bulls have 10.]
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,283

Post#42 » by prolific passer » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:25 pm

Wingy wrote:The Oklahoma City Thunder.

Oklahoma.
City.

Already flush with a bajillion future draft picks, still just took on ~ $4.5 million to obtain two 2nd round picks 3.5 & 4.5 years away.

When in position to do so, when do we ever swing this type of deal?

This is why I can’t stand this ownership group.

Haven't had deals close to that since Krause's and Paxson's early days as the gm.
Wingy
RealGM

Post#43 » by Wingy » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:35 am

Exhibit G:

Hired Arturas Karnisovas to lead their basketball organization.

Extended him. Continues to employ him.
ChiTownHero1992
Starter
And1: 1,511

Post#44 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:11 pm

Jerry's Priorities:

1. Money
2. White Sox

3. Family

4. Bulls

He doesn't care what the Bulls do as long as he makes his money and pushes it into the WHite Sox only for them to fail as well!
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,473

Post#45 » by fleet » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:46 pm

What is happening here on this board is the same as what happened on Soxtalk this past season. At the end of the day, JR gave us Chris Getz. Walk away.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,353

Post#46 » by Kurt Heimlich » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:59 pm

fleet wrote:What is happening here on this board is the same as what happened on Soxtalk this past season. At the end of the day, JR gave us Chris Getz. Walk away.

I can't speak to what happened in "Soxtalk" as I'm (thankfully) a Cubs fan and not sure what Soxtalk even is. But the Bulls, via the dumpster fire ownership vision that are the Rein$dorfs, have been eroding fanfare for years upon years now. We are not in the beginning of this movement, we're years into the empty void of hopelessness that is a fandom in the grips of a pennywise pound foolish, milk the cashcow dry, slumlord ownership.
prolific passer
Analyst

Post#47 » by prolific passer » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:41 pm

ChiTownHero1992 wrote:Jerry's Priorities:

1. Money
2. White Sox

3. Family

4. Bulls

He doesn't care what the Bulls do as long as he makes his money and pushes it into the WHite Sox only for them to fail as well!

When he said he would trade all 6 NBA titles for one world series title. Bulls fans were pretty much done. When he finally got his world series title. He became pretty much done as an owner of both teams.
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,142

Post#48 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:07 am

My recent theory is that it has to do with the size/quality of the staff relative to the size of Chicago and the quality of our workforce. This team should
be able to hire the best people and hire them in numbers, yet we don’t. You can find it “publicly” for baseball teams and the Sox consistently have half the staff as small market teams. Why should a team in Cleveland or Detroit or Kansas City hire more staff and pay more than a Chicago team? Why does the Chicago team dumpster dive the Kansas City team?

I don’t think it’s ever been a question of if reinsdorf will spend money, it’s about how he spends it. And I think he’d rather spend it on players than on pensions or employees who might decide to create a union. I think Reinsdorf could hire the best executives in the world and they would fail because they have no employees to manage. Paxson seemed to create a system himself because he’s a better executive than a basketball player, but AKME is like a chicken with its head cut off. There’s no organizational protocol. Sox and Bulls both appear like orgs run by amateurs from the on court squad to the marketing department. Who else can you blame for such organizational deficiencies except the guy in charge?
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter

Post#49 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:08 am

1. Money
2. White Sox

3. Family

4. Bulls

Bulls fans are confused because the Sox are just as dire of a team for the same reason. Jerry wants to win his own way. His way is wrong.
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter

Post#50 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:11 am

prolific passer wrote:

1. Money
2. White Sox

3. Family

4. Bulls

When he said he would trade all 6 NBA titles for one world series title. Bulls fans were pretty much done. When he finally got his world series title. He became pretty much done as an owner of both teams.

I don’t think is is true either. Jerry really wants to win, he’s just a meddling owner and his viewpoints are stupid and will never trust anyone else or hire enough people to create good information for the executives to analyze. This probably could’ve all been one post.
prolific passer
Analyst

Post#51 » by prolific passer » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:15 am

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:
prolific passer wrote:

1. Money
2. White Sox

3. Family

4. Bulls

I don’t think is is true either. Jerry really wants to win, he’s just a meddling owner and his viewpoints are stupid and will never trust anyone else or hire enough people to create good information for the executives to analyze. This probably could’ve all been one post.

He has had plenty of time to right some wrongs since being owner but he just let things happened that ended up hurting the team.
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter

Post#52 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:24 am

prolific passer wrote:
SalmonsSuperfan wrote:
prolific passer wrote:When he said he would trade all 6 NBA titles for one world series title. Bulls fans were pretty much done. When he finally got his world series title. He became pretty much done as an owner of both teams.

He has had plenty of time to right some wrongs since being owner but he just let things happened that ended up hurting the team.

To be fair, Bulls recent issues don’t strike me as Jerry specific issues…unless the staff that existed before AK was hired were completely inept or Jerry didn’t let the new guys hire staff. To me, the bad decisions of trading Lauri and acquiring lonzo, derozan, Vuc were basketball decisions that I can only blame that on the GM. Those are expensive moves.

The Sox are a different story and speak to Jerry’s incompetence and I think you can assume that he has the same organizational philosophy with the bulls. I think Jerry actually wants to win and will spend money, he just does it in a stupid **** way. To the point that both teams are better off being owned by an investment group (pipe dream: the city of Chicago) than a meddling owner with dumbass ideas. Mavs fans are seeing this in real time with Luka and a dumbass meddling owner. Nba teams get lucky with a star, the owners can potentially ruin that by thinking they know too much. Jerrys career as an owner really seems like a guy who think he knows more than he does, while also trying to nickel and dime players and **** over Chicago residents.
Wingy
RealGM

Post#53 » by Wingy » Fri Nov 3, 2023 5:18 pm

Letting your FO shoot for the playin when you had even a ~1 in 10 chance at the unprecedented monster prospect that is Wembanyama is a sign they all should just walk away from sports ownership. As small-minded and short-sighted as thinking can possibly get.
Bandit King
Analyst
And1: 1,145

Post#54 » by Bandit King » Fri Nov 3, 2023 7:23 pm

They watch the games at home in Phoenix instead of going to the game.
Chicago Bulls Basketball - The Continuity
Wingy
RealGM

Post#55 » by Wingy » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:09 pm

Wingy wrote:Letting your FO shoot for the playin when you had even a ~1 in 10 chance at the unprecedented monster prospect that is Wembanyama is a sign they all should just walk away from sports ownership. As small-minded and short-sighted as thinking can possibly get.

It has been a fine vaca from putting words and energy into this little machine about the Bulls. That shall continue.

But I’ll pause with this one reminder as the season closes.

Your IG posts, your tweets, your FB posts, your fan emails and calls to the media, your billboard GoFundMes. All those complaints.

Aim them at the ownership group.

They are ultimately responsible for acceptance of this incompetence. This “culture.” AK doesn’t employ himself.

That‘s enough Bulls. See y’all around in the OT threads.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,542

Post#56 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:29 pm

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:
prolific passer wrote:
SalmonsSuperfan wrote:I don’t think is is true either. Jerry really wants to win, he’s just a meddling owner and his viewpoints are stupid and will never trust anyone else or hire enough people to create good information for the executives to analyze. This probably could’ve all been one post.

To be fair, Bulls recent issues don’t strike me as Jerry specific issues…unless the staff that existed before AK was hired were completely inept or Jerry didn’t let the new guys hire staff. To me, the bad decisions of trading Lauri and acquiring lonzo, derozan, Vuc were basketball decisions that I can only blame that on the GM. Those are expensive moves.

The Sox are a different story and speak to Jerry’s incompetence and I think you can assume that he has the same organizational philosophy with the bulls. I think Jerry actually wants to win and will spend money, he just does it in a stupid **** way. To the point that both teams are better off being owned by an investment group (pipe dream: the city of Chicago) than a meddling owner with dumbass ideas. Mavs fans are seeing this in real time with Luka and a dumbass meddling owner. Nba teams get lucky with a star, the owners can potentially ruin that by thinking they know too much. Jerrys career as an owner really seems like a guy who think he knows more than he does, while also trying to nickel and dime players and **** over Chicago residents.

Yeah like being all pissy about the strike and then coming out of it and giving Albert Belle the biggest contract in baseball saying I’ll show you guys.

Agreed that Jerry isn’t cheap exactly, he will spend but it is always wrong. People get to fixated on the luxury tax. GSW is spending plenty. Dolan did for years and now actually has a way better team not just throwing stupid money around. Ballmer tries. Phoenix fans are already cursing Ishba.

Reinsdorfs loyality and apathy towards his FO is the issue. He doesn’t step in when he needs to (Krause and Phil or Kenny and Ozzie) but then steps in with Thibs? C’mon man.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,012

Post#57 » by Am2626 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:06 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
SfBull wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:Jerry is not the worst. He is below average though for sure. Some of his attributes are over exaggerated without a doubt. That being said:

With both the Bulls and Sox he was too hands off and let the GM's run their ego and ruin teams. He needed to mitigate that stuff. He also needed to not be soooooooo loyal.

Cheap Cheap Cheap is what you are going to hear but if you actually look at it that is not the problem. His inaction was a bigger problem. Albert Belle and MJ were record setting contracts. Giving Pippen money and helping him out of debt after he trashed Jerry for a decade is another.

Letting Krause and William's ego's run the show though... Oh my bad bad choices.

Blowing the 97-98 Bulls( Last Dance) when players wanted a chance for winning 4 wings in a row.What is worst than that?
25 years later and we'd didn't recover from his bad move.

That is the biggest fail ever, and the truth is, they were never coming back for that run. It would have organically ended regardless. Reinsdorf stupidly let Krause publicly let him tell the whole world it was his idea and this was the end. Let him run his mouth and parade his whole organizations win nonsense. He needed to step in and shut him up 2 years prior. Nope JR is too loyal though. Simply his dumbest financial move without a doubt. Even if they came back which would have been unlikely as Pippen was done and wanted out, and Phil was done too, they likely woukd have just dissolved during the lockout. Optics wise they could have had their cake and ate it, getting the reboot Krause was desperate but actually getting empathy in the court of public opinion. Jordan was going to be out, Pippen wants a trade and Phil is gone, what could we do but rebuild?

But Noooooooooooooo! Let Krause open his mouth and let him show the world his hubris. If JR shuts Krause mouth public perception is different and Krause’s Heatles type plan may actually work and they potentially get Duncan, TMac and Hill (well as long as they agree that Tim Duncan’s wife can fly with the team, stupid Orlando) and then yup maybe he has that next dynasty. Duncan, Hill, TMac Artest and Brand not a bad thing to have. By Jerry not stepping and shutting Krause up ruined this franchise, absolutely ruined it.

JR has zero concern for optics and that has always been his biggest downfall. Not just with the Bulls also with his beloved White Sox. Back to doing Fisk dirty. Ozzie and Kenny. Pouting after coming out of the baseball lockout and signing Albert Belle to the highest contract in baseball ever at that point, to prove a point. Bad optics everywhere.

It isn’t his cheapness it is he is simply unlikable and doesn’t care. He also loves to hire really unlikable twats (ahem Gar Forman and well past prime Larussa) to be his mouth pieces? C’mon.

Next owners are likely going to be some Private Equity firm (really currently is and has been since Jerry bought them) or UAE or Saudi type sportswashing group. With them maybe they can actually hire a good front office though. I think Michael tried he just chose poorly, or hired the wrong firm to do the search.

Oddly the optics got slightly better but at the cost of just complete destruction of any future hope. At best the Bulls have 5 years at the least to have any optimistic outlook for the future.

All Reinsdorf had to do was fire Krause and side with Jordan, Pippen, and Phil Jackson. 999 out of 1000 owner would make this simple and easy decision. That is his biggest failure as an Owner.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,203

Post#58 » by HomoSapien » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:54 pm

Check out our record post the dynasty and where that ranks in comparison to the rest of the league.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,902

Post#59 » by The Explorer » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:11 pm

His great lest weakness is his lack of care and / or passion for the bulls. He's 1000x his initial investment and already won many times with the GOAT. There is nothing left for him and he and his son Michael run the team like they stopped caring a long time ago.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,473

Post#60 » by fleet » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:00 pm

Read on Twitter

Aside from a pop up championship on the south side, all Jerry ever did well enough was capitalize on lucking into Michael Jordan.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.

Return to Chicago Bulls