Image ImageImage Image

Why is Jerry one of the worst owners in the NBA

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,700

Re: Why is Jerry one of the worst owners in the NBA 

Post#21 » by DuckIII » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:56 am

I don’t think he’s that bad really. Can’t say I’ve ever felt strongly about Reinsdorf one way or the other at any point in my life.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
KissedByaRose1
Pro Prospect
And1: 427

Post#22 » by KissedByaRose1 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:23 am

He's that bad in my opinion and bottom third in the league for sure. One of the worst.

For starters I don't think he likes basketball at all. I don't think he dislikes it but this clearly was always just an investment to him that went fantastically well and not something he's even modestly passionate about. Everyone knows the famous "would trade all 6 Bull championships for 1 White Sox World series" quote he made which obviously never sat well with me. This leaks into his decision making in my opinion. People like to phrase it as "loyalty" but honestly i think it's just indifference and because he isn't a passionate fan of the sport as long as things aren't on fire he isn't going to rock the boat by making drastic changes. I know money doesn't buy championships but we as a fanbase deserve getting past the first round more than 4 times since 1998. We're the freaking Bulls, it's one of the most famous/recognized brand in the world we should have the highest aspirations and not be ran like a much dumber version of the Pacers.

That's just recently. The end of the Jordan era also was completely despicable by him not stepping in. You can say that's him staying out of the basketball side of things but any owner worth a damn gets in the middle of that Krause/Pippen Krause/Phil etc BS and either fires Krause or makes everyone play nice and get everyone paid. Always kinda thought it was shocking he participated in the Last Dance Doc. Came off freaking clueless the whole time in my opinion. He's done a lot for the city of Chicago and isn't a bad guy or anything like Sarver or Dan Schneider but I really am of the opinion that you have a certain ethical obligation being a professional sports owner as dumb as that sounds lol. This stuff impacts a lot of people like us who care way too much about rooting for laundry because it brings us joy/distraction whatever which is a really cool thing. At least give 1/2 as much of a **** as we all do and try a little harder to win the damn thing. We will hang on to AKME for 2 years longer than we should or any other team in the NBA probably would when everyone who knows basketball knows this is the dictionary definition of a treadmill team.
DuckIII wrote: We can't out-Miami, Miami. But based on their roster, we can out-Chicago them.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,226

Post#23 » by Red8911 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:29 am

First off he’s very cheap especially for a big market team like the Bulls. Then he doesn’t show much interest at all, it’s clear that it’s all business for him.

No one said he shouldn’t make his money but Bulls have fans all over the world, we all deserve a better owner who actually cares about this team. His son Michael is pretty much the same so I don’t have much hope for him either.
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,283

Post#24 » by prolific passer » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:28 am

Meh. He's an average GM. Some great success with some miserable failures. He's pretty similar to Jerry Jones. Jones rode Jimmy Johnson's cowboys to 3 super bowls in the 90s just like Reinsdorf rode Jordan's bulls to 6 titles in that same decade.
econprof
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#25 » by econprof » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:06 pm

While there are no hard and fast rules, I always thought the worst owners were the ones for whom the team was their main source of wealth, like Reinsdorf. They have to make an operating profit to maintain their overall life style, while leaving the appreciated asset of team ownership to the next generation. Owners who can treat the team like a hobby (like Mark Cuban, or the Ricketts family) don't mind overspending when they sense a chance of winning, and only become a problem when they meddle in team operations (Cuban yes, Ricketts no, at least not so far). I would rather have the latter type of billionaire own my team than the former.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,353

Post#26 » by Kurt Heimlich » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:04 pm

Because he is a Skinflint.

The Bulls are the primary wealth engine for the Reinsdorf family, and thanks to one Michael Jeffrey Jordan, they have a tremendous amount of otherwise unearned goodwill value built into the franchise. Remember when Pax had to infamously sell the Jordan Bell pick to the Warriors, the same year/draft we traded Jimmy Butler and started our next rebuild? What kind of rebuilding team gives away young draft capital when they are starting their rebuild. A team run by a cheap money grubber like Reinsdorf of course.

Pax even referenced it in interviews, saying he had to "buy future capital" from ownership by doing money saving moves such as this in order to spend "when the time is right" in the future. Thats how Jerry (and presumably his family heir's as well) operate. Penny wise by nickle and diming these kind of transactions and luxury tax limboing but pound foolish by not trying everything in their ability to gain competitive advantage amongst the other franchises within the league.

I also recall reports that the Bulls have the smallest scouting department in the NBA. A top 3 market (and the only top 3 market team that has a monopoly on that market) that spends like they were in Charlotte.

And there's of course the long history of terrible medical treatment highlighted by one Mr Luol Deng in 2013 in which they literally put his life at risk:

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/off-the-court/how-the-chicago-bulls-almost-ended-luol-dengs-career-and-life
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,144

Post#27 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:04 pm

He rips off the city and the state and seems to be content with mediocrity. This probably describes every ownership group in professional sports but some of them actually hire the right people to make sports-related decisions. Reinsdorf hires incompetent yes men and keeps them around forever.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,167

Post#28 » by League Circles » Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:22 pm

A lot of misplaced anger at an 87 year old man in here if you ask me.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,951

Post#29 » by Axl Rose » Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:20 pm

He doesn't really care about the team. It's strictly business for him.
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,267

Post#30 » by Dan Z » Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:28 am

Kurt Heimlich wrote:Because he is a Skinflint.

The Bulls are the primary wealth engine for the Reinsdorf family, and thanks to one Michael Jeffrey Jordan, they have a tremendous amount of otherwise unearned goodwill value built into the franchise. Remember when Pax had to infamously sell the Jordan Bell pick to the Warriors, the same year/draft we traded Jimmy Butler and started our next rebuild? What kind of rebuilding team gives away young draft capital when they are starting their rebuild. A team run by a cheap money grubber like Reinsdorf of course.

Pax even referenced it in interviews, saying he had to "buy future capital" from ownership by doing money saving moves such as this in order to spend "when the time is right" in the future. Thats how Jerry (and presumably his family heir's as well) operate. Penny wise by nickle and diming these kind of transactions and luxury tax limboing but pound foolish by not trying everything in their ability to gain competitive advantage amongst the other franchises within the league.

I also recall reports that the Bulls have the smallest scouting department in the NBA. A top 3 market (and the only top 3 market team that has a monopoly on that market) that spends like they were in Charlotte.

And there's of course the long history of terrible medical treatment highlighted by one Mr Luol Deng in 2013 in which they literally put his life at risk:

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/off-the-court/how-the-chicago-bulls-almost-ended-luol-dengs-career-and-life

The sad thing is that Reinsdorf told Jordan that he's regret signing Jordan to his big one year contract in 1996. I'm sure Jordan helped Reinsdorf earn that money back many times over.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,997

Post#31 » by Wingy » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:48 pm

I’ve been consistent trashing the ownership group over the years. It’s highlighted in my sig.

Absolute worst? Nah, don’t think so. What has riled me as a fanatic is that they’re probably one of the worst when it comes to what you do with your position and situation. Being owner of say the Charlotte Hornets simply doesn’t carry the same weight and opportunity as the Chicago Bulls.

Large market, ridiculous brand recognition and equity world wide due to MJ, Scottie and the dynasty. But they’ve done little to nothing with it, and in fact let the FO spoil those relationships and additional title opportunities.

There’s the other things others have mentioned. Allergic to the tax as a tool to retain and build assets. I don’t want to lean on this stuff too hard, but I have heard of small staffs compared to the rest of the league with things like scouting and analytics, plus poor history with medical staff. It’s all just very 2nd rate for a franchise that Jordan made iconic.
prolific passer
Analyst

Post#32 » by prolific passer » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:07 pm

Dan Z wrote:

The sad thing is that Reinsdorf told Jordan that he's regret signing Jordan to his big one year contract in 1996. I'm sure Jordan helped Reinsdorf earn that money back many times over.

Must have not regretted it too much as he signed him to a bigger contract the next year.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,566

Post#33 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:06 pm

Dan Z wrote:

It wasn’t that he was paying Jordan that he regretted. It was that NBA salaries would spiral out of control, which they did and there would be a lockout, which did happen. He had no issue giving MJ that money but he knew because of the MLB it would lead to that. Shaq, KG got the Jordan type money which was fine, it was when Juwan Howard got that 30 mil a year that the NBA broke. Suddenly the max contracts were sub 10 million when they came back. Hell even in 2010 the Heatles all initially signed for under 10 I think like 9.5. Too lazy to look it up.

Goes back to my earlier rant though Jerry has no concern about his optics. You just don’t say something like that. Even if you do you say this will change the whole landscape of NBA salaries for the future. He is just a friggin don’t when it comes to optics.
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 466

Post#34 » by step » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:35 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:Suddenly the max contracts were sub 10 million when they came back. Hell even in 2010 the Heatles all initially signed for under 10 I think like 9.5. Too lazy to look it up.

$14.5M for the most part.
https://www.espn.com/nba/salaries/_/year/2011/seasontype/1
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,566

Post#35 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:46 pm

step wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:Suddenly the max contracts were sub 10 million when they came back. Hell even in 2010 the Heatles all initially signed for under 10 I think like 9.5. Too lazy to look it up.

$14.5M for the most part.
https://www.espn.com/nba/salaries/_/year/2011/seasontype/1

That makes sense since 9 was the max contract for the new CBA and this was a decade later. So on overage it was about a .5 million increase year over year.

I think They all took a "smidge less and Wade took the biggest hit because he would have been paid more due to his bird rights.

Did Amare do a sign and trade? Just interesting he made about 2 mil more than the Heatles so maybe it was more than a smidge, might have been close to 2 mil per...
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,267

Post#36 » by Dan Z » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:43 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

It wasn’t that he was paying Jordan that he regretted. It was that NBA salaries would spiral out of control, which they did and there would be a lockout, which did happen. He had no issue giving MJ that money but he knew because of the MLB it would lead to that. Shaq, KG got the Jordan type money which was fine, it was when Juwan Howard got that 30 mil a year that the NBA broke. Suddenly the max contracts were sub 10 million when they came back. Hell even in 2010 the Heatles all initially signed for under 10 I think like 9.5. Too lazy to look it up.

Goes back to my earlier rant though Jerry has no concern about his optics. You just don’t say something like that. Even if you do you say this will change the whole landscape of NBA salaries for the future. He is just a friggin don’t when it comes to optics.

Yep. I agree. There's no reason to say it and upset the best player in the league (who has helped you earn millions in the process).
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 466

Post#37 » by step » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:58 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:I think They all took a "smidge less and Wade took the biggest hit because he would have been paid more due to his bird rights.

Indeed.

Michael Jackson wrote:Did Amare do a sign and trade? Just interesting he made about 2 mil more than the Heatles so maybe it was more than a smidge, might have been close to 2 mil per...

No, I believe Amare was a FA signing at the very max. And yeah when you do the math with the Heatles, it was more than a smidge. $1.9M less, aka ~11% less. Though at the time I didn't consider it that much of a reduced rate.
prolific passer
Analyst

Post#38 » by prolific passer » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:46 am

Contracts are so big that to a good amount of players. 10 mil a year contracts are not enough.
OzmanTheWizard
Ballboy
And1: 22

Post#39 » by OzmanTheWizard » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:50 pm

patryk7754 wrote:
ChettheJet wrote:It must be depressing being the fan in every city with any professional sports team who thinks the owner is the worst in that league and is the reason the team loses or doesn't win championships, or charges too much for tickets or has high concession prices or long lines at the bathrooms or there are too many commercials on TV. Go to some local art fairs and bellyache about the paintings.

It must be depressing to be on a fan board and comment in a thread and add nothing to it. Go bellyache in another post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iqureshi
Junior
And1: 211

Post#40 » by iqureshi » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:11 pm

I think he is by far one of the worst owners in sports

-being overly loyal to incompetent people who show him loyalty instead of the fan base
-This is a hard one but i think its his desire to not dip into the luxury tax. People are saying he isn't running it like a hobby, but i think this is worst, he is actually using the team to make money. He refuses to go into the tax because him and his shareholders need the tax money that comes their way. We might as well be (i can't even think of a small market team who dips into the tax less then the bulls)
This guy is a grade a cancer on the city, and people calling wortz or mccaskey bad at least those teams have had a superbowl appearance and multiple championships this century. This buffoon blowing the good will he had with the dynasty via sheer cheapness and empowering yes men morons is unforgiveable. In his head he's a good guy looking after his shareholders and friends, but i feel a team's loyalties should center around its fanbase over bottom lines.

Return to Chicago Bulls