Image ImageImage Image

2024 NBA Draft Thread (Early)

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Donkedave
Freshman
And1: 7

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread (Early) 

Post#281 » by Donkedave » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:19 am

Is Tyler Smith injured again?
Or where they playing the even younger guys ending the season?
2024 draft Bulls select who?
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,678

Post#282 » by sco » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:33 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
2weekswithpay wrote:
Rose2Boozer wrote:Will Clingan be available at the end of the lottery?

After tonight probably not.

Still bad FT shooter and has no outside game.

I thought guys like Tako and Bamba would be bigger things in the NBA. Pass on using a mid-1st on a defensive big.
:clap:
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,811

Post#283 » by Jcool0 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:05 pm

sco wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
2weekswithpay wrote:
After tonight probably not.

Still bad FT shooter and has no outside game.

I thought guys like Tako and Bamba would be bigger things in the NBA. Pass on using a mid-1st on a defensive big.

Tako was just really tall which can be a skill in college but doesn't really do much in the NBA. Bamba was an boom or bust guy. Clingan may not be a future all star but he might be a future all defense guy. In 1998 he is probably the #1 pick.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,895

Post#284 » by TheSuzerain » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:31 pm

Clingan is a very capable rim protector.

But I feel like that performance was half about Clingan and half about the Illini horrid decision-making.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#285 » by MrSparkle » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:21 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:Clingan is a very capable rim protector.

But I feel like that performance was half about Clingan and half about the Illini horrid decision-making.

I agree. Also, UConn seems to just be an excellent team 1-7. Their guards laid eggs (scoring), but they still pass, drive, draw FTs, defend… but I can’t tell with Clingan. College vet, bigger than any other college kid, excellent team… lot going in his favor to just swat shots and grab boards, post up on free cheese.

This said, he does hustle hard. Runs the floor constantly. I’d be uncomfortable drafting him in the lotto, but my expectations for Bulls picks are in line with D. Terry, so from that angle, if we get a guy who can come in for 15 mpg and do some of what Drummond does but with about 2x the hustle and speed (and block instincts), better decision making, that’s the kind of player I’d like to see Ayo/Coby/Pat run with. That could be a top tier defensive lineup.

The more I check out this draft, I just don’t see any star talent. In fact I struggle to find any guys who can start. Even shooters like Reed will need adjustment to defend and shoot at the NBA level.

Cody Williams on film has the most NBA skillset imo, but he’s a boat of red flags.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,737

Post#286 » by DuckIII » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:21 pm

It was. We played right into it for some reason. Regardless it still showed what he can do.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Rose2Boozer
Starter
And1: 650

Post#287 » by Rose2Boozer » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:57 pm

This seems like the draft of red flags. It's either prospects who can't shoot, create off the dribble, low motor, one dimensional, questionable height, super duper seniors, or a combination.
ROLES & HOLES
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#288 » by Jcool0 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:00 pm

DuckIII wrote:

It was. We played right into it for some reason. Regardless it still showed what he can do.

Did Illinois have a really bad strategy going into the game? Yes. Is Clingan an elite defensive center? Also yes. He was 14/14/8 against Northwestern in round 2 and In the Big East final he had 22/16/2. So this isn't just wow he completely dominated Illinois! draft him top 5 now instead of late 2nd round. He was seen as a late loto pick recently and might move into that 5-8 range because this is a weak draft.
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#289 » by Jcool0 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:17 pm

I think i kind of look at it this way. If the Bulls were a more healthy team (Lavine and Ball would be back) and Clingan was available i would probably go with him. He would be at his best with Ball as his PG. But with this current team back i might lean more towards Matas Buzelis. He doesn't have near the floor of Clingan but probably has the higher ceiling. At his worst he is pre 2024 Deni Avdija at his best Michael Porter Jr. But that is what you get when you are picking 10-12 range.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#290 » by TheSuzerain » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:21 pm

Jcool0 wrote:I think i kind of look at it this way. If the Bulls were a more healthy team (Lavine and Ball would be back) and Clingan was available i would probably go with him. He would be at his best with Ball as his PG. But with this current team back i might lean more towards Matas Buzelis. He doesn't have near the floor of Clingan but probably has the higher ceiling. At his worst he is pre 2024 Deni Avdija at his best Michael Porter Jr. But that is what you get when you are picking 10-12 range.

He is not MPJ.

Can still be a nice 4 though.
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#291 » by Jcool0 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:28 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:I think i kind of look at it this way. If the Bulls were a more healthy team (Lavine and Ball would be back) and Clingan was available i would probably go with him. He would be at his best with Ball as his PG. But with this current team back i might lean more towards Matas Buzelis. He doesn't have near the floor of Clingan but probably has the higher ceiling. At his worst he is pre 2024 Deni Avdija at his best Michael Porter Jr. But that is what you get when you are picking 10-12 range.

He is not MPJ.

Who said he was? I am talking about upside a 17-20 pgg guy who hits 3s at a 38-40% range and 5+ rebounds. He was that in high school and he has not been that in the G league. Who knows if he can reach that in the NBA. Got to take risks in the 10+ range.
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,438

Post#292 » by Muzbar » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:00 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:

He is not MPJ.

Who said he was? I am talking about upside a 17-20 pgg guy who hits 3s at a 38-40% range and 5+ rebounds. He was that in high school and he has not been that in the G league. Who knows if he can reach that in the NBA. Got to take risks in the 10+ range.

I think Buzelis can be better than MPJ personally.

Matas struggled with his 3 in the G-league but he is a good shooter, he will improve. He's my number 1 pick for the Bulls if they're able to get him.

He's going to be good.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
boozapalooza
Rookie
And1: 657

Post#293 » by boozapalooza » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:23 am

All in all, great year for us to be picking in the late lotto range. No high end surefire prospects, but plenty of intriguing prospects. The guy you get at #12 could turn out just as good as the guy who goes #1. AKME cannot afford to whiff on this pick especially considering we may not have our pick again next year. There seems like real opportunity to snag an all star level player.

A few of my favorites are Knecht, Clingan, Edey, Shannon, Dillingham, Sheppard, and Buzelis
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#294 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:39 pm

I want Cam Spencer in late 1st/early 2nd. Make it happen.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,659

Post#295 » by Repeat 3-peat » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:49 pm

Never seen a draft where I flip flop on prospects every other day. It's a draft where it's tough to put too much blame on a team for missing, or reaching. One GM could have a player #1 overall, another GM may have that same prospect closer to #10. Someone likely looks like a genius though.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Post#296 » by patryk7754 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:00 pm

Haven't paid too much attention to college this season. I saw a mock that has Duke's center dropping to 14. Seems like he'd be a great pick up for us. From the quick glance I had of him, he kind of reminds me of a 6"11 gallinari. Also looks like he can play the four. Any truth in my first impressions of him?

Also, are they any pass first guards available later in the draft? Would be nice to get someone who can fill the Lonzo role as a distributor (to a certain extant) if we acquire a second
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Post#297 » by patryk7754 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:08 pm

Also,wtf is going on in france with these centers?
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#298 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Apr 1, 2024 7:00 pm

patryk7754 wrote:Haven't paid too much attention to college this season. I saw a mock that has Duke's center dropping to 14. Seems like he'd be a great pick up for us. From the quick glance I had of him, he kind of reminds me of a 6"11 gallinari. Also looks like he can play the four. Any truth in my first impressions of him?

Also, are they any pass first guards available later in the draft? Would be nice to get someone who can fill the Lonzo role as a distributor (to a certain extant) if we acquire a second

Gallo is like 10 times as skilled as the Duke guy.

Duke guy is pretty bland imo.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,231

Post#299 » by HomoSapien » Tue Apr 2, 2024 6:07 am

I haven't done my deep dive into the draft pool yet, but so far the most intriguing prospects in our range seem to be Matas Buzelis and Tidjana Salaun. Both have an intriguing skillset and much-needed size. I also love their feel for the game.

Edey seems to be projected to go anywhere from late lottery to early second round. I wouldn't take him with our pick, but I could see him being a value pick later in the draft. If we can buy a late first/early second, he could be a nice target. We'll likely need to replace Drummond, and he wouldn't be a bad guy to do that with.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,047

Post#300 » by Chi town » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:52 pm

HomoSapien wrote:I haven't done my deep dive into the draft pool yet, but so far the most intriguing prospects in our range seem to be Matas Buzelis and Tidjana Salaun. Both have an intriguing skillset and much-needed size. I also love their feel for the game.

Edey seems to be projected to go anywhere from late lottery to early second round. I wouldn't take him with our pick, but I could see him being a value pick later in the draft. If we can buy a late first/early second, he could be a nice target. We'll likely need to replace Drummond, and he wouldn't be a bad guy to do that with.

Salaun is my #1 target in our range but I think he will go higher once he measures and works out.

Return to Chicago Bulls