Image ImageImage Image

2024 NBA Draft Thread (Early)

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

DropStep
Junior
And1: 155

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread (Early) 

Post#401 » by DropStep » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:02 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:I do like Edey for us though.

We currently have no coherent organizing concept, so might as well snag that intriguing talent who will likely fall in the draft because you have to organize around him. That seems like a good match to me.

I am really uncertain about Edey. He has such strengths, but I'm not sure he can defend in today's NBA, and there's not very many people organizing their offense around feeding a guy in the post for 7-foot hook shots like Purdue did. I can't imagine him chasing around mobile bigs, or bigs who can shoot, God forbid people who are both. I can't decide if he's a poor man's Yao or a rich man's Boban, and I have Hibbert fears, too. I have real respect for his talent, but it feels like a pretty hard zag in today's league, no? You'd have to commit to it and organize around his strengths and weaknesses, like you said, to have a shot. I think I would look elsewhere with our pick, especially with our lack of three point shooting and guards skilled in feeding the post. He's much more skilled than the Tacko Falls and Thabeets, but it seems like he will run into some of the same difficulties they did, and it feels difficult to incorporate him into a standard, modern team concept.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,360

Post#402 » by DASMACKDOWN » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:15 pm

To me I think the biggest worry for most is when you would pick said player. Not if you would pick them at all.

Like Walker Kessler for instance. He went #22 but most would have liked him at #18. And even though the book isnt written yet on Dalen, Walker is probably the better pick.

I dont want us to not pick someone because we think they are drafted too high or whatever. If its Edey, Clingan or anyone else. Just pick the best guy going forward.
The Cult of Personality
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,868

Post#403 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:24 pm

DropStep wrote:

We currently have no coherent organizing concept, so might as well snag that intriguing talent who will likely fall in the draft because you have to organize around him. That seems like a good match to me.

I am really uncertain about Edey. He has such strengths, but I'm not sure he can defend in today's NBA, and there's not very many people organizing their offense around feeding a guy in the post for 7-foot hook shots like Purdue did. I can't decide if he's a poor man's Yao or a rich man's Boban, and I have Hibbert fears, too. I can't imagine him chasing around mobile bigs, or bigs who can shoot, God forbid people like Wemby who are both. I think I would look elsewhere with our pick. I have real respect for his talent, but it feels like a pretty hard zag in today's league, no?

One thing from a Bulls perspective that gives me some comfort on Edey the defender is what we saw Caruso/Lonzo do first hand.

Turns out elite POA defense can do a lot to protect a defensive anchor who lacks range. We had a top 10 defense with Vuc back there, and I actually think Edey has more of a ceiling as an defensive anchor than Vuc.

It is a hard zag, but I think that's appealing for us. Even if we succeed at building a "typical" team, how on earth is that team going to be better than the other "typical" teams?
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,360

Post#404 » by DASMACKDOWN » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:31 pm

DropStep wrote:

I am really uncertain about Edey. He has such strengths, but I'm not sure he can defend in today's NBA, and there's not very many people organizing their offense around feeding a guy in the post for 7-foot hook shots like Purdue did. I can't decide if he's a poor man's Yao or a rich man's Boban, and I have Hibbert fears, too. I can't imagine him chasing around mobile bigs, or bigs who can shoot, God forbid people who are both. I think I would look elsewhere with our pick. I have real respect for his talent, but it feels like a pretty hard zag in today's league, no? You'd have to commit to it and organize around his strengths and weaknesses, like you said, to have a shot. Feels impossible to incorporate him into a standard, modern team concept.

I personally think teams look at a perfect case scenario rather than having a vision to make things work. Guys that are 7'1+ dont grow on trees. They make up for things just because they are that size.

People make it seem like Brook Lopez is some speedster running around protecting the basket. He isn't. He is just 7'1 with long arms and has defensive IQ. It also helps if you have great defenders on the wings that buy you more time.

Pau Gasol was the same way. Pau is a brick house even here in Chicago. Avg over 2blks per game and shut down the paint. Dont ask him to move much though, but alas still very effective.

I am actually intrigued with both Edey and Clingan. Cause if a team figures things out, people would look like idiots when they passed on then.
The Cult of Personality
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,222

Post#405 » by Red8911 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:51 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
DropStep wrote:

I am really uncertain about Edey. He has such strengths, but I'm not sure he can defend in today's NBA, and there's not very many people organizing their offense around feeding a guy in the post for 7-foot hook shots like Purdue did. I can't decide if he's a poor man's Yao or a rich man's Boban, and I have Hibbert fears, too. I can't imagine him chasing around mobile bigs, or bigs who can shoot, God forbid people who are both. I think I would look elsewhere with our pick. I have real respect for his talent, but it feels like a pretty hard zag in today's league, no? You'd have to commit to it and organize around his strengths and weaknesses, like you said, to have a shot. Feels impossible to incorporate him into a standard, modern team concept.

I personally think teams look at a perfect case scenario rather than having a vision to make things work. Guys that are 7'1+ dont grow on trees. They make up for things just because they are that size.

People make it seem like Brook Lopez is some speedster running around protecting the basket. He isn't. He is just 7'1 with long arms and has defensive IQ. It also helps if you have great defenders on the wings that buy you more time.

Pau Gasol was the same way. Pau is a brick house even here in Chicago. Avg over 2blks per game and shut down the paint. Dont ask him to move much though, but alas still very effective.

I am actually intrigued with both Edey and Clingan. Cause if a team figures things out, people would look like idiots when they passed on then.

There’s a bit of a difference between 7”1 and 7”4 . Edey for example might be too tall. We’ve all seen how at that height players tend to be more injury prone.

One thing that’s good about him though is he don’t have skinny legs and he looks he has a naturally solid/strong body all around despite his huge height.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,509

Post#406 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:28 pm

Red8911 wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:
DropStep wrote:

There’s a bit of a difference between 7”1 and 7”4 . Edey for example might be too tall. We’ve all seen how at that height players tend to be more injury prone.

One thing that’s good about him though is he don’t have skinny legs and he looks he has a naturally solid/strong body all around despite his huge height.

Edey doesn't worry me about injuries he seems a sturdy boy.... Not sure he is a starter in the NBA by any means.
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,186

Post#407 » by _txchilibowl_ » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:44 pm

Red8911 wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:
DropStep wrote:

Yao had tree trunks for legs and couldn't stay healthy. That's a lot of weight for even giant foot bones to handle.
Guru
Starter
And1: 218

Post#408 » by Guru » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:13 pm

This talk of Edey and Clingan I think is misguided.

We would be better off trading the pick for Nick Claxton. He fits the league and what we would want far more than those two.

Edey and Clingan are from days of yore. A begone era of slow-footed bigs taking up space in the middle.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,522

Post#409 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:49 pm

Guru wrote:This talk of Edey and Clingan I think is misguided.

We would be better off trading the pick for Nick Claxton. He fits the league and what we would want far more than those two.

Edey and Clingan are from days of yore. A begone era of slow-footed bigs taking up space in the middle.

Claxton is a UFA this summer. If we went the S&T route, which I wouldn’t mind, the comp wouldn’t be a lottery pick.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Guru
Starter

Post#410 » by Guru » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:52 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:

Claxton is a UFA this summer. If we went the S&T route, which I wouldn’t mind, the comp wouldn’t be a lottery pick.

"Actually"
Guru
Starter

Post#411 » by Guru » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:54 pm

I am not suggesting that we trade the 1-11. I am saying that Claxton is a better fit for the current NBA than both of these guys. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,522

Post#412 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:21 pm

Guru wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:

"Actually"

I don’t know what this means.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,120

Post#413 » by patryk7754 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:30 pm

The thing that concerns me about Edey is that for a guy who makes his money in the post, he doesn't really have any post moves. You backs you down and overpowers you (sometimes with an elbow). Idk if that's enough to be in the lineup consistency and use a mid round pick for him. Offensively, he reminds me of Roy Hibbert, a bit.

I really like Yves Missi out of Baylor. He's got great athleticism to roam around the basket for and is pretty good in the pick and roll. And he actually has decent foot work and ball handling skill.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,868

Post#414 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:05 pm

Saying Edey reminds you of Hibbert is basically insane lol.

Hibbert scored 13 points a game as a Senior.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#415 » by patryk7754 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:35 pm

Hibbert and Edey both are slow and have little to no value in a fast paced offense or in transition and mostly get their points just throwing their shoulder into the defender hoping they move out of the way. Edey is significantly better than Hibbert at it, but the similarity is there....key words being "a bit" but understanding the comparison of certain elements is insane as well, apparently
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,420

Post#416 » by jnrjr79 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:27 pm

patryk7754 wrote:The thing that concerns me about Edey is that for a guy who makes his money in the post, he doesn't really have any post moves. You backs you down and overpowers you (sometimes with an elbow). Idk if that's enough to be in the lineup consistency and use a mid round pick for him. Offensively, he reminds me of Roy Hibbert, a bit.

I feel like I must be watching a different player, because Edey has excellent footwork and touch. It’s quite impressive for someone who only started playing basketball in the middle of high school.

Edey has gotten in better shape, but I think the real question on him is how much athletic/conditioning room for improvement he has. He’s going to have to get faster if he’s going to be a starting C.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#417 » by patryk7754 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:42 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:The thing that concerns me about Edey is that for a guy who makes his money in the post, he doesn't really have any post moves. You backs you down and overpowers you (sometimes with an elbow). Idk if that's enough to be in the lineup consistency and use a mid round pick for him. Offensively, he reminds me of Roy Hibbert, a bit.

I feel like I must be watching a different player, because Edey has excellent footwork and touch. It’s quite impressive for someone who only started playing basketball in the middle of high school.

Edey has gotten in better shape, but I think the real question on him is how much athletic/conditioning room for improvement he has. He’s going to have to get faster if he’s going to be a starting C.

Ive seen a limited amount of him, so take my opinion with a gain of salt. I don't think he has bad footwork, he just doesn't use it in any particle post move (regularly, at least). I think if he can add a a legit post move or two, then I have faith in him being effective but not dominant like in college.

and from what I've seen he doesn't add much defensively, which would only be amplified in the NBa since he'll be going against significantly more athletic and faster bigs. I see him getting abused in pick and roll...but again my sample size is small.

Like I mentioned, the way he moves on offense, reminds me of Hibbert. With how small the NBA is, I think he can have success as a scorer in a limited role. I some of the teams in the 20s plus would be the best option for him. If the spurs can land him with their second, I think that would be perfect for him, especially if they get the Russian(?) PG with their first
boozapalooza
Rookie
And1: 656

Post#418 » by boozapalooza » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:25 am

Read on Twitter

Less than 3 years of organized ball and this kids doing this? Im interested
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,801

Post#419 » by Jcool0 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:23 pm

boozapalooza wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not sure he's ever taken a shot outside of 3 feet from the basket. So you are really banking on your teams ability to develop him.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,090

Post#420 » by MrSparkle » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:34 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
boozapalooza wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not sure he's ever taken a shot outside of 3 feet from the basket. So you are really banking on your teams ability to develop him.

Sounds like AK’s guy. :lol:

Return to Chicago Bulls