Image ImageImage Image

2024 NBA Draft Thread (Early)

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

2weekswithpay
Starter
And1: 1,355

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread (Early) 

Post#221 » by 2weekswithpay » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:12 pm

Read on Twitter
2weekswithpay
Starter

Post#222 » by 2weekswithpay » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:46 am

Read on Twitter
2weekswithpay
Starter

Post#223 » by 2weekswithpay » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:44 pm

Read on Twitter

Worth mentioning that Salaun is still a project.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,641

Post#224 » by DuckIII » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:10 am

Clingon for UCONN sure looks good tonight. He’d sure fit some glaring needs.

Footspeed is not great unfortunately. Kessler was/is the superior prospect. But I still like Clingon as a legit option for us in the late lottery.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,019

Post#225 » by Chi town » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:42 am

DuckIII wrote:Clingon for UCONN sure looks good tonight. He’d sure fit some glaring needs.

Footspeed is not great unfortunately. Kessler was/is the superior prospect. But I still like Clingon as a legit option for us in the late lottery.

Meh. I like that he’s competitive. Unlike Vuc, he cares and hustles. Not much after that.
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,414

Post#226 » by Muzbar » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:44 am

DuckIII wrote:Clingon for UCONN sure looks good tonight. He’d sure fit some glaring needs.

Clingan*

Did you do that on purpose? Are you a Trekky?

Be honest Duck!
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#227 » by DuckIII » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:12 am

Muzbar wrote:

Clingan*

Did you do that on purpose? Are you a Trekky?

Be honest Duck!

I did not do it on purpose, despite definitely knowing all about Clingons. Which makes my post all that much more egregious. I’m ashamed of myself.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#228 » by DuckIII » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:15 am

Chi town wrote:

Meh. I like that he’s competitive. Unlike Vuc, he cares and hustles. Not much after that.

I don’t agree with that. He has good strength and would
Immediately have the best shot blocking radius on our team. Further, he understands the game offensively. He has good awareness and passing ability, knows how to move without the ball.

I’m not expecting many sexy options in the late lottery this year.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,865

Post#229 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:06 pm

Edey is basically a more freakish and skilled version of Clingon without the injury issues.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#230 » by DuckIII » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:28 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:

Edey is basically a more freakish and skilled version of Clingon without the injury issues.

Yeah, yeah. I’ll believe in Edey as an NBA player when I see it. I like centers who can move around. Clingan is not exactly quick but he has way better running speed and half court quickness than Edey.

Would I take a late first round flyer on Edey? Sure, in this draft. A lottery pick? No.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#231 » by Chi town » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:04 pm

DuckIII wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:

Yeah, yeah. I’ll believe in Edey as an NBA player when I see it. I like centers who can move around. Clingan is not exactly he has way better running speed and half court quickness than Edey.

Would I take a late first round flyer on Edey? Sure, in this draft. A lottery pick? No.

If I’m going with a big I’d go Edey over Clingan. But like you said after a trade back later in the 1st.
boozapalooza
Rookie
And1: 656

Post#232 » by boozapalooza » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:51 pm

Read on Twitter

Da Silva had an awesome finish to his year. Late riser, tons of potential and versatility, great shooting touch. Color me very intrigued by this guy in the late lotto. His game will translate to the pros, especially if he can add 10-15 lbs of muscle.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#233 » by Chi town » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:47 pm

boozapalooza wrote:
Read on Twitter

Da Silva had an awesome finish to his year. Late riser, tons of potential and versatility, great shooting touch. Color me very intrigued by this guy in the late lotto. His game will translate to the pros, especially if he can add 10-15 lbs of muscle.

He’s this year’s Jaime Jaquez.

He’s about as safe as you get in this draft. Will be able to play from day one and I think he has good potential as a shooter. He has volume and lets it fly off movement. But he also has a handle and can get his own shot. High IQ.

He’s better day one than Terry and JP. Probably better than PW too offensively. Not defensively though.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#234 » by Chi town » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:51 pm

Da Silva moves and plays like Franz Wagner but without the crazy height and length.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#235 » by drosestruts » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:07 pm

When I watch Clingan highlights, and I addmitingly haven't watched him play actual games much - he just looks like a guy putting up stats due to being bigger than everyone else.

Big East championships game he had a double double at half time but was also like 2-10 from the field.

The moment he steps into the NBA he enters a world where every team has a guy his size.

Makes me nervous - i'm not sure what his translatable skills are/would be? Shot blocking maybe?
2weekswithpay
Starter

Post#236 » by 2weekswithpay » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:15 pm

drosestruts wrote:When I watch Clingan highlights, and I addmitingly haven't watched him play actual games much - he just looks like a guy putting up stats due to being bigger than everyone else.

Big East championships game he had a double double at half time but was also like 2-10 from the field.

The moment he steps into the NBA he enters a world where every team has a guy his size.

Makes me nervous - i'm not sure what his translatable skills are/would be? Shot blocking maybe?

I won't disagree with a lot of Clingan's production being because of his size. I'd like to add two things.

One, size is an asset. We've watched how impactful Drummond can be by simply being the biggest and most physical guy on the court. It takes multiple players to keep him from grabbing offensive boards, he draws a large amount of fouls. Size makes you a great target for lobs near the basket and defenders have to help off to minimize their impact on the game.

Two, Clingan is massive. We'll see what he measures at the combine but reports say he's 7'2 250lbs+ with a 7'7 wingspan. Even by NBA standards, Clingan is not a small guy.

I've already mentioned his size, but Clingan sets good screens and has improved noticeably as a passer. Clingan has a positive assist-to-turnover ratio this season.

Mark Williams, Duren, Kessler, and Lively are productive early into their careers and people were lower on Kessler than they should've been. Bigs aren't always the sexy pick but drafting a good big (Kessler) is better than getting a mediocre guard/wing (Dalen Terry).
2weekswithpay
Starter

Post#237 » by 2weekswithpay » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:16 pm

I know it's college but could Vuc/Drummond make this same play on defense?

drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#238 » by drosestruts » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:35 pm

Thanks 2weekspay - definitley some helpful additional context on Clingan.

In another thread there's a discussion about guys like Luke Garza being too good for the g-league but not good enough for the NBA and it's hard to not at least wonder if someone like Clingan will face similar issues/growing pains when coming to the NBA.

Size is an asset - and I did probably overlook its value. But size also has it's limitation or Boban would be an all-NBA player.

In general there seems to be a lot of bigs in this class and a young big would compliment the younger players on our roster well, but there's going to be lots of options and discussion on bigs alone as players projected in our range include: Clingan, Filipowski, Missi, Smith, Ware, Chomche

And those are just bigs.

The da Silva guy also posted recently sounds intruiging as does Knecht, Salaun, Klintman.

Pelicans and Knicks present interesting trade down opportunities to turn our 1st into two 1sts
Vintage
Pro Prospect
And1: 177

Post#239 » by Vintage » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:56 am

2weekswithpay wrote:I know it's college but could Vuc/Drummond make this same play on defense?

And at the next level, the guy driving the ball is quicker…
w00t
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#240 » by DuckIII » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:16 am

drosestruts wrote:
In another thread there's a discussion about guys like Luke Garza being too good for the g-league but not good enough for the NBA and it's hard to not at least wonder if someone like Clingan will face similar issues/growing pains when coming to the NBA.

But the reason Garza and Lofton share that fate does not apply to Clingan. Lofton is too short and does not have the lateral foot speed or leaping ability to offset it. He’s a big defensive liability. And Garza is the same, only moreso. He has absolutely no foot speed or leaping. Even with his vastly improved physique and conditioning, the dude just flat can’t move.

Clingan isn’t going to get up and down the floor like Joakim Noah, but he’s no stiff. He’s not a defensive liability like those guys. He’ll be a solid defensive asset.

But I totally agree with you about there being several other intriguing bigs at our projected draft range. Definitely not all about Clingan as a primary target or anything. I mentioned him specifically because I was watching him play at the time and liked what I saw.

Return to Chicago Bulls