Image ImageImage Image

Assessing Caruso's trade value

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,548

Re: Assessing Caruso's trade value 

Post#41 » by Andi Obst » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:25 pm

kristov wrote:I'd ask for 3 first for Caruso. Everybody wants him so 3 is what it should take. People will think I'm crazy but that's what I think it would take.

For me, it all comes down the quality of the pick(s). I want at least one GOOD first (or a young player with equal value) in the deal. Heavily protected picks like the Portland pick the Bulls own (in theory) just don't do much for me.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Infinity2152
Senior
And1: 282

Post#42 » by Infinity2152 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 11:08 pm

Of the list of players who should be traded, Caruso is near the bottom imo. His value to the team far outpaces his contract. His impact on these young players is substantial and we plan to add more young players. Every player should not be a trading chip. Yes, he gets injured, but I imagine he's still having a big impact on the young guys even when he's not playing. We'd be trading our best value asset, and to most teams he won't have the same value, so we'll get less than his value to us.

Building a winning team starts with finding deals like Caruso. Chicago is a major market and they'll be trying to win games next year. Highly doubt any late round rookie would have the same impact as Caruso over the next year or two. I'd say after Coby White and P Will, he's the player I'd most like to see on the Bulls, and I'm not out on Lavine. This team could look like anything after this summer and it would be good to see some good solid players on our team. Chemistry matters, we can't just keep getting rid of guys every two years. Has anybody credible actually posted an offer of two first round picks that the Bulls turned down? Cause without a blow our socks off offer, better for the Bulls to keep him.

We want Coby and Pat to come up, and any new young guys, we need High IQ, High impact vets. Derozan and Lavine may be gone, Vucevic as vet leader?
ChiTownHero1992
Starter
And1: 1,486

Post#43 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 11:46 pm

Here's my thing...we over value players as a franchise, as fans in general.

Weeks ago EVERYONE on here was saying Zach Lavine was valued for multiple 1st and youth, which he isn't and I said that, his value is minimal.

Caruso, as much as our fans want to say 2 1sts, etc is still just a "super-sixth man" on a good contract that plays good D. In my opinion, Caruso is basically the same commodity as Bruce Brown (saught after but not someone you send the house for), we already saw Brown+2 young players+3 firsts = an All-Star, it's now rumored that Knicks are offering Grimes+1st for Brown. WIth all that logic in place, we can arguably say Caruso is worth a 1st round pick (maybe a 1st rounder and youth) to the right bidder.

I don't think 2 first rounders will even be an option when all is said and done with the offers
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,016

Post#44 » by vxmike » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:52 am

ChiTownHero1992 wrote:Here's my thing...we over value players as a franchise, as fans in general.

Weeks ago EVERYONE on here was saying Zach Lavine was valued for multiple 1st and youth, which he isn't and I said that, his value is minimal.

Caruso, as much as our fans want to say 2 1sts, etc is still just a "super-sixth man" on a good contract that plays good D. In my opinion, Caruso is basically the same commodity as Bruce Brown (saught after but not someone you send the house for), we already saw Brown+2 young players+3 firsts = an All-Star, it's now rumored that Knicks are offering Grimes+1st for Brown. WIth all that logic in place, we can arguably say Caruso is worth a 1st round pick (maybe a 1st rounder and youth) to the right bidder.

I don't think 2 first rounders will even be an option when all is said and done with the offers

Caruso is not a “good” defender he’s literally a DOPY level wing defender on the 1-3 positions and can hold his own against some PFs.

Any contender with adequate scoring that needs to shore up their defense should give two FRPs for two playoffs runs with him on a cheap contract.

He’s pushing 30 and the Bulls are going nowhere. Get the assets now instead of watching him get overpaid in July of 2026.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,272

Post#45 » by kodo » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:56 am

Of players in a core rotation (25 mpg+), Caruso is the 3rd best player in the league in defensive EPM, the guys after him are Joel Embiid, Mobley, and then Wemby. His EPM #s are almost identical to Marcus Smart. We recently saw Marcus Smart's value, Boston traded him for Kristaps Porzingis + two 1st round picks.

But I don't think we're trading him despite his value, because our FO thinks we're contending.
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,414

Post#46 » by Muzbar » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:41 am

ChiTownHero1992 wrote:Here's my thing...we over value players as a franchise, as fans in general.

First of all, not EVERYONE was saying Zach was valued at multiple 1sts and youth, I knew he wasn't worth that asking price due to his contract.

Caruso is definitely worth 2 FRPs though, how high or low or protected those picks are is up for debate though.

Bruce Brown is not the defender that Caruso is and is bring paid twice as much. If I was another team and I had to chose between the two, I know which one I'd pick.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
ChiTownHero1992
Starter
And1: 1,486

Post#47 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:09 pm

Muzbar wrote:

First of all, not EVERYONE was saying Zach was valued at multiple 1sts and youth, I knew he wasn't worth that asking price due to his contract.

Caruso is definitely worth 2 FRPs though, how high or low or protected those picks are is up for debate though.

Bruce Brown is not the defender that Caruso is and is bring paid twice as much. If I was another team and I had to chose between the two, I know which one I'd pick.

In my opinion, the only teams that are trading for him are contenders, said contenders with 2 picks are likely very late 2 picks if they even have 2 picks at all (Clippers, Lakers, Nuggets, etc off the board) a team like Kings or Thunder makes sense as they have some picks to play with but I dont think either team is willing to part with multiple assets for a "bench" piece. That is the key issue here, Caruso in our eyes is GOLD, however most teams view him as a "super-sixth-man" which means bench player. Kings and THunder would also have to consider they have extensions already coming up, if they give up multiple assets for Caruso they would want to extend him as well and they likely can't afford that.
OzBulls
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#48 » by OzBulls » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:12 pm

Woj just now stating if Bulls were just after picks as opposed to remaining competitive they would get 2 1st’s right now for Caruso

https://spoti.fi/3uhrKsh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,961

Post#49 » by Wingy » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:38 pm

What are we doing here? We’re going to be capped out and staring at the tax with AC looking at a deserved raise unless we’re letting DeMar and/or Pat go. Is AK really willing to do that? We know damn well we’re not paying the tax.

They’re going to let guys walk in the name of the playin. A made up fictional bull **** for losing teams made up by Adam Silver.
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,387

Post#50 » by HoopsterJones » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:57 pm

Yeah if teams were offering 2 FRPs then AKME has to accept the deal. Even if the picks are a few years down the road.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,798

Post#51 » by Jcool0 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:05 pm

HoopsterJones wrote:Yeah if teams were offering 2 FRPs then AKME has to accept the deal. Even if the picks are a few years down the road.

Not worth it.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,085

Post#52 » by MrSparkle » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:15 pm

Well, I like Caruso. Don’t blame them for seeking a fortune. He single-handedly swings games. Two late/protected FRPs aren’t fair value. Maybe on draft night, when you know exactly who’s on the board at the spot(s) you’re trading for.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,923

Post#53 » by ChettheJet » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:58 am

I know the Bulls start him basically as the PF and that works out against some teams and he's outclassed by others. I am starting to wonder if maybe they started him out of position in order to get him more shots and had him make more plays so any team calling about him would get told that a starter would require 2 picks in any trade, even if he only plays 26 minutes rather than a reserve guard who plays 26 minutes who wouldn't look as valuable. I don't think any other team would be trading for AC to play anywhere but guard so most may have seen through a ruse.

When Williams and Craig return, could one start at the 4 or both at the 3/4 and AC either becomes the SG or comes off the bench because the charade is over?

Return to Chicago Bulls