Image ImageImage Image

Around The NBA : 2023-24 Season #2

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Re: Around The NBA : 2023-24 Season #2 

Post#1201 » by drosestruts » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:39 pm

I think Sacramento wins it tonight pretty easily. Also think Sacramento may be able to give OKC a tough series. I know it's "just the regular season" but their season series was split 2-2 and it's not like OKC is some veteran team that gives you the confidence of having been here before and elevated their play in the post-season.

Upset watch for sure.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#1202 » by drosestruts » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:45 pm

Someone check out Duck - Bovada has the Bulls with the second best odds to be where Trae Young is playing next year.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,579

Post#1203 » by dice » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:04 am

drosestruts wrote:Someone check out Duck - Bovada has the Bulls with the second best odds to be where Trae Young is playing next year.

trae for zach? talk about re-arranging deck chairs
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,029

Post#1204 » by Chi town » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:08 am

KC reported all of the Bulls brass were at this game. 20 FO folks.

This can’t be a good look for AK and Billy.

Michael Reinsdorf needs to clean house.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,922

Post#1205 » by RSP83 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:21 am

Chi town wrote:KC reported all of the Bulls brass were at this game. 20 FO folks.

Awesome. Blow up this junk.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,285

Post#1206 » by kodo » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:56 am

Chi town wrote:KC reported all of the Bulls brass were at this game. 20 FO folks.

Good. Unfortunately AK got an extension not too long ago, I hope Michael is the type of leader to own up to a mistake and replace him anyway.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,263

Post#1207 » by Dan Z » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:33 am

dice wrote:
drosestruts wrote:Someone check out Duck - Bovada has the Bulls with the second best odds to be where Trae Young is playing next year.

How about a three team deal...? Trae for picks (to the Bulls), Zach to Atlanta and Trae to the third team.

I doubt its possible because Zach's value is low but thats better than adding Trae (who I like, but isnt right for the team).
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,107

Post#1208 » by MrSparkle » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:55 am

Maybe Arturas should add an analytics department.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,367

Post#1209 » by pipfan » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:11 am

I have an idea of Young to SA, Bulls get their pick back and Lavine to ATL-with other assets of course.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,650

Post#1210 » by Ice Man » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:48 am

The play-in is so silly. In 4 years, no #10 seed has ever made the playoffs. Three times the #9 seed has, and on those 3 occasions those teams went a combined 4-12 in the first round.

It's a pointless exercise. (And yes, Miami made the Finals last year, but the Heat weren't a play-in team under the previous rule. They were a playoff team, as the #7 seed.)
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,388

Post#1211 » by Gant » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:29 pm

Ice Man wrote:The play-in is so silly. In 4 years, no #10 seed has ever made the playoffs. Three times the #9 seed has, and on those 3 occasions those teams went a combined 4-12 in the first round.

It's a pointless exercise. (And yes, Miami made the Finals last year, but the Heat weren't a play-in team under the previous rule. They were a playoff team, as the #7 seed.)
Yeah, it did not change the fortunes of the 7 to 10 seeds. But as I recall the play-in was introduced along with altered lottery odds to lessen tanking. While the lottery odds somewhat discouraged tanking among the worst teams, the play-in lessened it among the borderline playoff teams. It also created fierce competition to rise to the 6th seed. In those ways plus generating interest it's worked.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1212 » by Ice Man » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:46 pm

Gant wrote:But as I recall the play-in was introduced along with altered lottery odds to lessen tanking. While the lottery odds somewhat discouraged tanking among the worst teams, the play-in lessened it among the borderline playoff teams. It also created fierce competition to rise to the 6th seed. In those ways plus generating interest it's worked.

Fair points. Those are minor issues, which for me are not worth further cheapening the playoff structure (which already has too many meh teams). But I would guess that the league plus most fans are happy enough with those effects and think that the play-in has been a success.

I mean, it's not a big deal. I just wait until the real playoffs begin to start paying attention. (Even when my own team is in the play-in.)
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,538

Post#1213 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:18 pm

Ice Man wrote:
Gant wrote:But as I recall the play-in was introduced along with altered lottery odds to lessen tanking. While the lottery odds somewhat discouraged tanking among the worst teams, the play-in lessened it among the borderline playoff teams. It also created fierce competition to rise to the 6th seed. In those ways plus generating interest it's worked.

Fair points. Those are minor issues, which for me are not worth further cheapening the playoff structure (which already has too many meh teams). But I would guess that the league plus most fans are happy enough with those effects and think that the play-in has been a success.

I mean, it's not a big deal. I just wait until the real playoffs begin to start paying attention. (Even when my own team is in the play-in.)

Yeah it was primarily those reasons tbh plus single elimination games get more draw than a tanking team in a regular season game. More TV revenue etc. considering the first play in game ever was GSW and Lakers and LeBron wins it with a game winning 3 I don’t see the format going anywhere. I also have no issue with the in season tourney. It doesn’t really change anything overall but once again single elimination games draw more eyes and tend to be more fun.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,683

Post#1214 » by DuckIII » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:50 pm

It would not surprise me at all. It’s exactly the type of move our FO would make. I don’t mean that as a sarcastic shot. It really is their type of play. I have already given quite a bit of thought to the possibility that the Bulls and Hawks simply switch Lavine and Young.

Which I happen to think would be a huge W for the Hawks and would significantly improve their team. Would sure suck for us though.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,285

Post#1215 » by kodo » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:59 pm

Gant wrote:Yeah, it did not change the fortunes of the 7 to 10 seeds. But as I recall the play-in was introduced along with altered lottery odds to lessen tanking. While the lottery odds somewhat discouraged tanking among the worst teams, the play-in lessened it among the borderline playoff teams. It also created fierce competition to rise to the 6th seed. In those ways plus generating interest it's worked.

They were separate changes. Changed lottery odds were voted on in 2017. They were implemented in 2019 closer to the play-in, but they announced it years before.

The play-in started because Silver in general is looking to way fight viewership dropping in the regular season. In 2018 Butler & Thibs' Minny played Joker's Denver and a playoff appearance was on the line for that one game, 14 years absence for Minny & 5 year absence for Denver. Both teams balled out, everyone went nuts over it and called it the best reg season game of the season. Said it had NFL or NCAA one & done atmosphere. I think KAT said he cried after the win.

Silver wanted to bottle that energy up & repackage it every season to boost ratings and get sponsorship opportunities for it. Problem is that situation almost never occurs, the last time it happened was 21 years ago. So he had people force 1 & done to happen. Overall he's done a good job of bottling & manufacturing that energy.

IMO it's slightly worse for anti-tanking. A 10th place team would normally automatically be in the lottery, but winning 2 play-in games (that don't count) eliminates them from the lottery so they would want to lose to 11th. If you wanted to promote no tank, you would allow the 10th place team to keep its lotto balls. So you can play your hardest in those 2 games and not "worry" about your draft odds.

Overall I think Silver is going to keep trying to take certain segments of the regular season grind, label it in some way, and get sponsorship for it. It's the right strategy for the future IMO.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Post#1216 » by patryk7754 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:04 pm

Saw a clip of Woj saying he thinks there's going to be a lot more all star level players available this offseason. He used the phrase "entering the nba portal". He was specifically talking about options for the heat, He also said some players can say "trade me to the heat or I'll opt out next season and sign somewhere else via free agency ". There are a couple of players that could be about but Mitchell has a player option next season and he’s been talked about as a trade option already.
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,707

Post#1217 » by BullChit » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:25 pm

Dan Z wrote:
dice wrote:

How about a three team deal...? Trae for picks (to the Bulls), Zach to Atlanta and Trae to the third team.

I doubt its possible because Zach's value is low but thats better than adding Trae (who I like, but isnt right for the team).

Which is precisely why I can see it happening...

Just imagine Billy and AK in the pre season talking about how Traes playmaking will really open things up for Vuc haha
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
ChiefILL53
Starter
And1: 830

Post#1218 » by ChiefILL53 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:51 pm

I'd hate Trae on this team, him goin to SA to run the PnR with Wemby makes way more sense. Sending Zach to ATL to run with Murray makes sense as well. Us getting our pick back, with maybe johnson and one of ATLs young promising players would be something I'd like to see the framework for.
jc23 wrote:Goran + Lonzo + Zach = the Dragon Ball Z line up.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,202

Post#1219 » by HomoSapien » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:44 pm

Gant wrote:
Ice Man wrote:The play-in is so silly. In 4 years, no #10 seed has ever made the playoffs. Three times the #9 seed has, and on those 3 occasions those teams went a combined 4-12 in the first round.

Yeah, it did not change the fortunes of the 7 to 10 seeds. But as I recall the play-in was introduced along with altered lottery odds to lessen tanking. While the lottery odds somewhat discouraged tanking among the worst teams, the play-in lessened it among the borderline playoff teams. It also created fierce competition to rise to the 6th seed. In those ways plus generating interest it's worked.

Agreed. It’s not a perfect season, but the end of the season is infinitely more interesting than it used to be. It’s discouraged half the league to stop tanking during the final month.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1220 » by Ice Man » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:07 am

I'm calling today the day that The Process died. Embiid is limping again, the Sixers are highly unlikely to take 4 o the next 6 games against the Knicks, and Embiid is highly unlikely to ever be fully fit to make a long-term Finals run again.

Oh, and for the "Billy Donovan is a bad tactical coach" crowd, Nick Nurse peed the bed in the final 30 seconds of that game. LOL.

Return to Chicago Bulls