Image ImageImage Image

Around The NBA : 2023-24 Season #2

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,866

Re: Around The NBA : 2023-24 Season #2 

Post#1041 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:10 pm

drosestruts wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:Lofton's situation is his own fault. Lose the weight.

He's a 6'6" big man who's only big because of his weight. His weight is oddly a plus for him.

Heavy or not, he's just not an NBA player

If he cut too much weight, the things that makes him unique at the g-league and overseas level may cease to exist.

He's got broad shoulders, long arms. He's never going to be lean.

But he's big time obese right now. That should change.

Be closer to PJ Tucker than Michael Sweetney, and let's go from there.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,245

Post#1042 » by Dan Z » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:18 pm

drosestruts wrote:
Dan Z wrote:With the way the Nets are playing you'd think they''re taking, but Houston has their 2024 pick. Is their plan cap space after next season?

Brooklyn is simply just bad.

A lot of people really liked their mix of talent after trading away their stars and thought they might be some sort of sleeper team with up and coming talent primed to take the lead role on their own team.

I'm curious what they do this offseason with Claxton. Do you keep doubling down on an increasingly expensive core of Bridges/Johnson/Claxton that struggles to win 30 games?

The year after Simmons expires but at the same time you'll need to decide on extensions for players like Cam Thomas, Denis Schroder, and Day'Ron Sharpe.

Over the next 3 years they have one first round pick - Phoenix's 2025 1st.

It made sense to move on from Durant and they got a good haul for him. Kyrie..well...nobody expected things to go the way they did with him.

Harden, I have mixed thoughts. I understand trading for him, but they didn't need too. Also, trading Harden for Simmons was always a bad move IMO.

As for their current situation, I think they have to re-sign Claxton...right? Otherwise who plays center?

It looks like they could potentially have a similar season next year (to this one).
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,806

Post#1043 » by jc23 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:27 pm

rosenthall wrote:
kodo wrote:Miami & Philly both won tonight against tough opponents. Really doesn't look like the 8th is going to happen.

At this point I think we should load manage for the 9th spot, as silly as that sounds.

Right now it looks like we really are going to get a lot of continuity from last season: same # of wins, same seeding, and probably the same playoff outcome. I think we beat the Hawks and then lose to one of the Heat / Pacers.

We can beat the pacers and miami is weaker at the beginning of the playoffs for some reason. Just sucks that you have boston waiting for you if you do win your two play in games.
Be curious, Not judgmental
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,085

Post#1044 » by MrSparkle » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:25 am

jc23 wrote:
rosenthall wrote:
kodo wrote:Miami & Philly both won tonight against tough opponents. Really doesn't look like the 8th is going to happen.

At this point I think we should load manage for the 9th spot, as silly as that sounds.

Right now it looks like we really are going to get a lot of continuity from last season: same # of wins, same seeding, and probably the same playoff outcome. I think we beat the Hawks and then lose to one of the Heat / Pacers.

We can beat the pacers and miami is weaker at the beginning of the playoffs for some reason. Just sucks that you have boston waiting for you if you do win your two play in games.

There’s just no reason to expect this team to beat anybody other than Atlanta in the top-10. Maybe Indiana, as Haliburton’s late play has been a drop from incredible (to earth). We’ve got 0 x-factors besides Demar playing the best elimination game of his life. For whatever great game Coby, Vuc or Ayo… there’s more reason to bet on Rozier, Bam, Duncan and the seasoned Heat.

Honestly, it’s another play-in exit. Might as well be planning on that 12th pick.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,611

Post#1045 » by Repeat 3-peat » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:03 am

Read on Twitter
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 717

Post#1046 » by Charlesareed » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:53 pm

Dan Z wrote:
drosestruts wrote:
Dan Z wrote:With the way the Nets are playing you'd think they''re taking, but Houston has their 2024 pick. Is their plan cap space after next season?

A lot of people really liked their mix of talent after trading away their stars and thought they might be some sort of sleeper team with up and coming talent primed to take the lead role on their own team.

I'm curious what they do this offseason with Claxton. Do you keep doubling down on an increasingly expensive core of Bridges/Johnson/Claxton that struggles to win 30 games?

The year after Simmons expires but at the same time you'll need to decide on extensions for players like Cam Thomas, Denis Schroder, and Day'Ron Sharpe.

It made sense to move on from Durant and they got a good haul for him. Kyrie..well...nobody expected things to go the way they did with him.

Harden, I have mixed thoughts. I understand trading for him, but they didn't need too. Also, trading Harden for Simmons was always a bad move IMO.

As for their current situation, I think they have to re-sign Claxton...right? Otherwise who plays center?

It looks like they could potentially have a similar season next year (to this one).

The nets are toast their refusal to trade Mikal Bridges for Jalen green and 3 frps says it all about that franchise they also turned down 3 frps from Memphis for him they have no direction the team is bad but Detroit or Washington bad but they will not win man games at all might aswell blow it up
Chicago Raised me
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,270

Post#1047 » by kodo » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:54 pm

Repeat 3-peat wrote:
Read on Twitter

That list shows how important size is to defense. Even a non-star 7' footer like Brook Lopez is +2.2, which is far more than all-defense guards like Jrue Holiday at +1.4. The PFs & Cs just have higher defensive numbers as a whole. And we don't play a PF 6'9+, and our C certainly isn't doing anything on defense.

Bulls are just playing with a handicap with their roster.
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#1048 » by MrSparkle » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:00 pm

kodo wrote:
Repeat 3-peat wrote:
Read on Twitter

That list shows how important size is to defense. Even a non-star 7' footer like Brook Lopez is +2.2, which is far more than all-defense guards like Jrue Holiday at +1.4. The PFs & Cs just have higher defensive numbers as a whole. And we don't play a PF 6'9+, and our C certainly isn't doing anything on defense.

They are.

Caruso was a great get, but it’s nonsensical playing him regularly at the forward positions with a horrible defensive C. Just treading water.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#1049 » by drosestruts » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:40 pm

kodo wrote:
Repeat 3-peat wrote:
Read on Twitter

So true - we're facing a size and athleticism gap nearly every night we take the court.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,245

Post#1050 » by Dan Z » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:38 pm

Charlesareed wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
drosestruts wrote:

The nets are toast their refusal to trade Mikal Bridges for Jalen green and 3 frps says it all about that franchise they also turned down 3 frps from Memphis for him they have no direction the team is bad but Detroit or Washington bad but they will not win man games at all might aswell blow it up

The issue with blowing it up is that Houston has their picks (which they could've got back in said trade...at least some of them...I think...?).

My guess is they're hoping that after next season they'll be able to convince a star to join Bridges (because they'll have cap space...Simmons expires). The problem I see with that is...who? Maybe Donovan Mitchell, but that's about it.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,359

Post#1051 » by DASMACKDOWN » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:52 pm

It just shows you that Draymond has zero conscious during the course of a game. To argue and get throws out 4 minutes into a game is insane.

Not to mention they are down Kuminga and the Rockets are a half game back for the last play in spot.

No wonder Curry is shaking his head.

Read on Twitter
The Cult of Personality
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,611

Post#1052 » by Repeat 3-peat » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 am

10 wins in a row for Houston. Looking to be next years OKC. The West will be even tougher next season. Memphis will be back also.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,270

Post#1053 » by kodo » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 am

Didn't realize the Suns were one of the worst 4th quarter teams in the modern era (Windy).
BR:
"With just 10 games remaining in the 2023-24 season, the Suns have the worst fourth-quarter net rating in the NBA—and it's not even particularly close. Phoenix is outscored by opponents by 14.1 points per 100 possessions, more than double the next-worst team (Miami Heat at -7.0) and nearly seven times worse than the lowly Detroit Pistons (-2.5)."

I wonder how that's even possible. We just give the ball to Deebo every possession and do pretty well, they've got KD & Booker.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#1054 » by drosestruts » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

kodo wrote:Didn't realize the Suns were one of the worst 4th quarter teams in the modern era (Windy).
BR:
"With just 10 games remaining in the 2023-24 season, the Suns have the worst fourth-quarter net rating in the NBA—and it's not even particularly close. Phoenix is outscored by opponents by 14.1 points per 100 possessions, more than double the next-worst team (Miami Heat at -7.0) and nearly seven times worse than the lowly Detroit Pistons (-2.5)."

I wonder how that's even possible. We just give the ball to Deebo every possession and do pretty well, they've got KD & Booker.

Another example showing you can't buy a championship
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#1055 » by MrSparkle » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

kodo wrote:Didn't realize the Suns were one of the worst 4th quarter teams in the modern era (Windy).
BR:

Eh. Lot of injuries to their starters, all year long. I think they're just playing to survive the regular season, and then turning it on in post-season. Granted, this is a classic fallacy for contenders... but when you're #1 option is 35yo and your 4th man is Nurkic, I think making the post-season in a really tight and competitive Western conference (11 +500 teams) is OK.

I wouldn't bet against them in the 4th Q of a playoff (or play-in) game over SAC, NOP, MIN and maybe OKC. These teams are a measly 7 games apart.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,293

Post#1056 » by dumbell78 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 pm

Yeah, the Suns are just trying to get healthy for the playoffs, their guys have missed so much time playing together. I'm not shocked at those numbers and blowing games. Even if they get healthy, they still dont have that PG that can settle things own and get them flowing. Doesn't have to be a true 100% PG but a calming figure that can run the offense for them. They dont have that with any of their guys. That will be an issue come the playoffs. Their big 3 will fall into that iso "hero" ball and will be eliminated. Its the trap they will fall into due to the roster construction.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
aguifs
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,436

Post#1057 » by aguifs » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:47 am

trae young is so friggin gone
#FIREAKME #BOYCOTTABULL #REINSDORKSELLTHEFRANCHISE
umfan83
RealGM
And1: 3,265

Post#1058 » by umfan83 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:19 am

The Celtics are singlehandedly trying to prevent Jerry Reinsdorf from getting an extra home game's worth of revenue. In their last 3 games they beat the Bulls and then lost twice in a row to the Hawks.
RealGM Bulls Board veteran of the following failed epic battles:
-Kobe (2008)
-Amare (2009)
-Bosh (2010 trade deadline and FA)
-LeBron (2010)
-Wade (2010)
-Melo (2014)
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,798

Post#1059 » by Jcool0 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:31 am

Surprising to see him go. Guess he lost his love for the team.

Read on Twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,757

Post#1060 » by dougthonus » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 am

Jcool0 wrote:Surprising to see him go. Guess he lost his love for the team.

Read on Twitter

I know Mark pretty well and knew it was coming in advance. It doesn't surprise me too much for a lot of reasons he stated and having gone through something similar when I quit my blog / regularly doing my podcast due to a lot of similar thoughts.

After doing it so long when it becomes more of a job than a passion, and you're getting paid, but no where near enough for it to be worth your time, and the team is in kind of this junky, non enjoyable state, it just gets old. You start thinking "I have so little free time left, and I'm using it on this?"
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls