Image ImageImage Image

Around The NBA : 2023-24 Season #2

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,390

Re: Around The NBA : 2023-24 Season #2 

Post#941 » by drosestruts » Wed Mar 6, 2024 2:57 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Houston’s in that funny situation where they super tanked 3 years and drafted a bunch of busts… besides for their 16th pick (Sengun).

Which side note… wonder-boy Presti traded the rights to Sengun for two future picks of ambiguous value. A little retribution for the Westbrook trade, I suppose. I think everybody has their wins and misses on draft night.

Amen is a hell of a talent, but at 19% 3P, he’s a big project. Jalen Green looks like a talented but low efficiency, low IQ scorer. The whole team is young but the top-5 picks are not appealing.

I really feel like as the years have gone on the value of draft picks has become more and more randomized, for lack of a better word.

I also feel like like draft picks evaluations often use "All-star" has a measure of success when that is often highly subjective - example: Banchero was an all-star this year and i'm not convinced he "deserved" it.

An analysis done using All-NBA honors would be far more interesting

Only 4 of the last 10 MVPs were guys drafted in the top 5 (three of them once played together which is crazy).
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,684

Post#942 » by Ice Man » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:40 pm

drosestruts wrote:I really feel like as the years have gone on the value of draft picks has become more and more randomized, for lack of a better word.

Ewing, Jordan, Hakeem, Clyde, Charles, etc. were 21 or 22 years old when they drafted. Today's top picks are all 19 years old. That difference makes for a whole lot of lost information and a whole lot more guesswork.

For example, I'm pretty sure that if Wiggins had played 4 years in college scouts would have seen the problems that he never has been able to outgrow - 1) an inefficient scorer, 2) a poor rebounder for his size, and 3) an indifferent passer. But having viewed only one college season of his, the scouts were willing to overlook those items based on his athletic potential. I doubt they would have if he had three more years of non-productivity showing on his resume.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,234

Post#943 » by HomoSapien » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:02 am

Ice Man wrote:Philly 26-8 with Embiid, 9-18 without him. People talk about the importance of NBA coaches but they are merely along for the ride. Having Joel is 100x more valuable than the difference between the alleged genius Nick Nurse and some coach whom everybody mocks, like Jason Kidd.

I don't fully agree. Didn't we all see the importance of Thibs firsthand? I didn't see any other coach charging to the playoffs with DJ Augustin as their most dangerous scorer.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#944 » by Ice Man » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:20 pm

HomoSapien wrote:I don't fully agree. Didn't we all see the importance of Thibs firsthand? I didn't see any other coach charging to the playoffs with DJ Augustin as their most dangerous scorer.

That's a good and fair example. There are a few coaches who can make a difference. Thibs with the right collection of motivated players being one of them. (Meaning, not the Timberwolves.) Even those cases, though, have their limits. The Bulls rode DJ and Jo to 50 wins, credit to the coach there, and then won exactly one game in the playoffs.
drosestruts
General Manager

Post#945 » by drosestruts » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:22 pm

Dammit Cleveland you were supposed to beat Atlanta.

Also if Embiid doesn't make it back Philly is my pick for team we can potentially leap frog to grab a higher seed. They're 6-13 since Embiid went out. Over that same time frame we're 9-7.

If we both keep winning at the same rate they'll win 6 more game this season, if we keep winning at the same rate and we'll win 10 maybe 11(it was 10.5) more games.

So we'll have to play better or they'll have to play worse.

I do think we have an easier schedule, but we'll have to make our move now. They're last 5 games are actually pretty easy, but their upcoming schedule is tough.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#946 » by FriedRise » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:10 pm

drosestruts wrote:Dammit Cleveland you were supposed to beat Atlanta.

Also if Embiid doesn't make it back Philly is my pick for team we can potentially leap frog to grab a higher seed. They're 6-13 since Embiid went out. Over that same time frame we're 9-7.

If we both keep winning at the same rate they'll win 6 more game this season, if we keep winning at the same rate and we'll win 10 maybe 11(it was 10.5) more games.

So we'll have to play better or they'll have to play worse.

I do think we have an easier schedule, but we'll have to make our move now. They're last 5 games are actually pretty easy, but their upcoming schedule is tough.

Cleveland has been a VERY annoying team if you're watching the Standings. A stretch around the All Star break, they lost to the Sixers, beat us, then proceeded to lose to Orlando, the Sixers again, and later on the severely injured Knicks. Now of course they just lost to Atlanta.

In all these key games (to us anyway), they keep helping teams around us either catch up or move farther away while constantly beating us.
Infinity2152
Senior
And1: 282

Post#947 » by Infinity2152 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:57 pm

prolific passer wrote:
The Explorer wrote:
prolific passer wrote:I think for me it's just the Lebron burnout from his hardcore fans. Same with the Jordan and Kobe fans. Sorry to the hardcore Jordan fans to the board but it's just how I feel.

Not sure if people on this forum visit the General board or the PC board, but Jordan was ranked a distant 3rd place behind James and Abdul Jabbar in the top 100 all time list project they do every few years. There is a large pro-Lebron, anti-Kobe, anti-MJ sentiment on realm...

Yeah on the player comparisons board which just leads to burnout from others.

Most of the people putting Lebron over Jordan never actually see Mj play, not even on TV. They're comparing highlights and stats of two guys who play different positions in different times. Those of us who watched Jordan for real don't have doubts. He was a dominant, demoralizing player for the other teams. The triangle offense literally takes the ball out of his hands much of his career, so of course Lebron averages more assists when he's playing the point. Don't think Wemby is a better prospect than Lebron, he's not likely to play till 40, largely uninjured, and dominate an entire conference and win most of his career. But Jordan you had to see to believe. Chicagoans tuned in every night. Guy was ultimately confident, just as mean on defense as he was on offense, and accepted no equals or comparisons. The Lebron/KD debate was never happening with Mike, not after he got rolling. His skillset, Ray Allen said he has no flaws offensively. We saw something crazy, up and unders, jab step dunks, 5 fadeaways on the same guy from the same spot while talking trash, switch hand layups, almost every night. 32-8-8 many nights from a shooting guard.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,139

Post#948 » by MrSparkle » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:19 pm

MJ had a 6th gear. That’s just about my conclusion. Lebron goes to 5.

I think talent, IQ, physique, the guys are pretty much are a wash in mostly maxed attributes. Whatever edge MJ had in acceleration, footwork, midrange scoring, I think Lebron counters in length, strength/weight-class, 3P range (more sample size, different era, but nevertheless stats are stats), passing/full-time PG ability. MJ gets the IQ edge, minimally. 80s college discipline was different.

But just, i feel like in a starve/hold your breathe under water survival contest, MJ would be the last man standing?
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#949 » by Repeat 3-peat » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:02 pm

Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#950 » by Ice Man » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:10 pm

As good as Boston is, and it is really good, a wonderfully constructed and deep team, I would pick Denver 11 times out of 10 to win the Finals, should the two teams meet. Denver would have BY FAR the best player on the court, and while the team with the best player doesn't always win the Finals (Cleveland 2015, I know that Steph won the MVP but LeBron was easily the best performer in the Finals), it sure is a good way to bet. And you can guarantee that Jokic will be the best player in the Finals. Lock down guaranteed.
drosestruts
General Manager

Post#951 » by drosestruts » Fri Mar 8, 2024 5:36 pm

plenty scoreboard watching tonight:

Philly has New Orleans - should be a loss
Orlando vs New York - my guess is New york loses with all their injuries
Miami at OKC - tough game for the Heat and a B2B for them

And then there's the battle for the 2-seed, though matchups for both Milwaukee (vs Lakers) and Cleveland (vs Minnesota)
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,319

Post#952 » by Mbrahv0528 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 6:51 pm

Infinity2152 wrote:
prolific passer wrote:
The Explorer wrote:
Not sure if people on this forum visit the General board or the PC board, but Jordan was ranked a distant 3rd place behind James and Abdul Jabbar in the top 100 all time list project they do every few years. There is a large pro-Lebron, anti-Kobe, anti-MJ sentiment on realm...

Yeah on the player comparisons board which just leads to burnout from others.

Most of the people putting Lebron over Jordan never actually see Mj play, not even on TV. They're comparing highlights and stats of two guys who play different positions in different times. Those of us who watched Jordan for real don't have doubts. He was a dominant, demoralizing player for the other teams. The triangle offense literally takes the ball out of his hands much of his career, so of course Lebron averages more assists when he's playing the point. Don't think Wemby is a better prospect than Lebron, he's not likely to play till 40, largely uninjured, and dominate an entire conference and win most of his career. But Jordan you had to see to believe. Chicagoans tuned in every night. Guy was ultimately confident, just as mean on defense as he was on offense, and accepted no equals or comparisons. The Lebron/KD debate was never happening with Mike, not after he got rolling. His skillset, Ray Allen said he has no flaws offensively. We saw something crazy, up and unders, jab step dunks, 5 fadeaways on the same guy from the same spot while talking trash, switch hand layups, almost every night. 32-8-8 many nights from a shooting guard.
Everyone needs to take the GB Anti-Jordan stuff with a giant grain of salt.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
drosestruts
General Manager

Post#953 » by drosestruts » Fri Mar 8, 2024 8:05 pm

76ers bringing in Kai Jones for a workout. Going to be frustrated when he inevitably signs on somewhere. Kind of reminds me of Jalen Smith in some ways - young talented player that is just falling between the cracks for whatever reason.

Obviously some different circumstances in why each ended up falling through the cracks.

Think Kai will eventually be a smart depth signing for someone. Low risk move. Can't teach athleticism and all that.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,270

Post#954 » by Dan Z » Fri Mar 8, 2024 9:48 pm

drosestruts wrote:76ers bringing in Kai Jones for a workout. Going to be frustrated when he inevitably signs on somewhere. Kind of reminds me of Jalen Smith in some ways - young talented player that is just falling between the cracks for whatever reason.

Obviously some different circumstances in why each ended up falling through the cracks.

Think Kai will eventually be a smart depth signing for someone. Low risk move. Can't teach athleticism and all that.

Didn't Kai have some attitude issues? or am I wrong about that?

I agree with you about Jalen Smith and wanted the Bulls to offer him a contract when he was a FA (especially since he only signed for 3 years/15 million). But, at that time, was it a luxury tax issue?
drosestruts
General Manager

Post#955 » by drosestruts » Fri Mar 8, 2024 10:06 pm

Dan Z wrote:
drosestruts wrote:76ers bringing in Kai Jones for a workout. Going to be frustrated when he inevitably signs on somewhere. Kind of reminds me of Jalen Smith in some ways - young talented player that is just falling between the cracks for whatever reason.

I agree with you about Jalen Smith and wanted the Bulls to offer him a contract when he was a FA (especially since he only signed for 3 years/15 million). But, at that time, was it a luxury tax issue?

You are not wrong. He very publicly questioned his role and playing time stating he was better than the other bigs on the team.

He also was on social media having what many believe to be a drug fueled sort of manic episode.

He also refused to see a therapist when reccomended to do so by charlotte and wound up getting released

Drugs and an inflated ego aren't new to the NBA world, and is an odd place to draw a line in the sand, ecpsecially for the Charlotte Hornets.

I also personally see a young player struggling in Charlotte and can't help a lack of a strong locker room could be playing into it.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,270

Post#956 » by Dan Z » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:09 pm

drosestruts wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

You are not wrong. He very publicly questioned his role and playing time stating he was better than the other bigs on the team.

He also was on social media having what many believe to be a drug fueled sort of manic episode.

He also refused to see a therapist when reccomended to do so by charlotte and wound up getting released

Drugs and an inflated ego aren't new to the NBA world, and is an odd place to draw a line in the sand, ecpsecially for the Charlotte Hornets.

I also personally see a young player struggling in Charlotte and can't help a lack of a strong locker room could be playing into it.

Maybe there's more to it than we know? Behind-the-scenes type of stuff.

If the Bulls did their research then I'd be okay with them giving him a chance.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#957 » by Ice Man » Sat Mar 9, 2024 12:28 pm

Bucks fire the coach of 31-13 team because his mistakes are "obvious." They then bring in the former coach who was that team's "consultant," which means that he whispered in the GM's ear about the other coach's mistakes. The team's record under the consultant-turned-coach is now 10-10.

I would fire that GM with extreme prejudice.
drosestruts
General Manager

Post#958 » by drosestruts » Sat Mar 9, 2024 2:48 pm

Ice Man wrote:Bucks fire the coach of 31-13 team because his mistakes are "obvious." They then bring in the former coach who was that team's "consultant," which means that he whispered in the GM's ear about the other coach's mistakes. The team's record under the consultant-turned-coach is now 10-10.

I would fire that GM with extreme prejudice.

Doc needs to step up and coach this team if he wants to win games. Coming out of a timeout with a possesion where your team needs to make a defensive stop and you leave Lillard on the floor in just bad coaching.

Lakers ran pick and rolls until they got the matchup they wanted - Russell vs Lillard, then Russell scored and the Lakers took the lead.

If Lillards ego can't handle being subbed out for key defensive possesions the Bucks will be a first round exit.

Trading Holiday for Lillard alone was a bad trade, adding in all the additional assets just makes it even worse.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,307

Post#959 » by kodo » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:25 pm

That's wild, last night the refs gave the TWolves who had a won game a loss because they didn't like Gobert's hand motion. Never seen that in my lifetime.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,739

Post#960 » by DuckIII » Sat Mar 9, 2024 4:33 pm

Mbrahv0528 wrote:
Infinity2152 wrote:
prolific passer wrote:Yeah on the player comparisons board which just leads to burnout from others.

Everyone needs to take the GB Anti-Jordan stuff with a giant grain of salt.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app

I don’t argue with flat earthers either.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Return to Chicago Bulls