Image ImageImage Image

Ayo Dosunmu has leveled up

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

MissileMike
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,014

Re: Ayo Dosunmu has leveled up 

Post#241 » by MissileMike » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:56 pm

At this point, if you could only keep one, would it be Ayo or Coby?
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,663

Post#242 » by DuckIII » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:01 pm

MissileMike wrote:At this point, if you could only keep one, would it be Ayo or Coby?

This question has been like a see-saw for 3 years. Fortunately we don’t have to choose and if one or both ends up disappointing they are on great contracts.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,665

Post#243 » by sco » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:19 pm

DuckIII wrote:
MissileMike wrote:At this point, if you could only keep one, would it be Ayo or Coby?

This question has been like a see-saw for 3 years. Fortunately we don’t have to choose and if one or both ends up disappointing they are on great contracts.

The question I would ask is: Which guy brings back more in return via trade? I'll say, both are good (but not great) with upside, and are capable of playing either guard spot.
:clap:
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,096

Post#244 » by MrSparkle » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:28 pm

I don’t think either has “worth selling high” value. What are you getting for Coby- a top-10 pick in this draft? A Reaves, Rozier, Kuzma or an even older player?

How about Ayo? What do you get back? Duncan Robinson? A 15th pick in this bad draft?

What available all star is worth consolidating assets for? We can’t trade 25 nor 26 due to the Demar pick owed, and our best players (besides Caruso and Ayo) are not great complimentary players.
sco
RealGM

Post#245 » by sco » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:38 pm

MrSparkle wrote:I don’t think either has “worth selling high” value. What are you getting for Coby- a top-10 pick in this draft? A Reaves, Rozier, Kuzma or an even older player?

How about Ayo? What do you get back? Duncan Robinson? A 15th pick in this bad draft?

What available all star is worth consolidating assets for? We can’t trade 25 nor 26 due to the Demar pick owed, and our best players (besides Caruso and Ayo) are not great complimentary players.

I largely agree. I doubt you get much for either alone; however, to the extent we could, for example fill an important hole like at C or PF, and we are planning on keeping Zach, I'd consider something. Probably more likely we'd have to include one of them with other assets for a "good" player back.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,027

Post#246 » by Chi town » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Ayo looked really good lastnight on both ends.

I think he will continue to rise. I can see him maxing out at 20 efficient pts per game and being a 3rd option.

Super valuable winning player.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,550

Post#247 » by Andi Obst » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:40 am

The thing I love most about his game is that he understands how important it is to put pressure on a defense early in the shot clock. He's so good at getting (relatively) easy buckets when the defense isn't fully set just because he pushes the tempo and gets to the rim when most others would wait for their teammates to run regular plays. Lonzo used to be great at that (not with his scoring, but with his insane cross-court passing). The Bulls kind of lost that when he went down. For a team that often struggles to score and generally plays slow, this is extremely important.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,825

Post#248 » by kulaz3000 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:13 am

Andi Obst wrote:The thing I love most about his game is that he understands how important it is to put pressure on a defense early in the shot clock. He's so good at getting (relatively) easy buckets when the defense isn't fully set just because he pushes the tempo and gets to the rim when most others would wait for their teammates to run regular plays. Lonzo used to be great at that (not with his scoring, but with his insane cross-court passing). The Bulls kind of lost that when he went down. For a team that often struggles to score and generally plays slow, this is extremely important.

He actually plays a lot like Coby did in college and how I expected him to play in the NBA. Not that Coby doesn't push the pace at times, but Ayo does it a lot more relentlessly throughout the game, and for his size he is pretty darn quick.
Why so serious?
sco
RealGM

Post#249 » by sco » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:30 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:
Andi Obst wrote:The thing I love most about his game is that he understands how important it is to put pressure on a defense early in the shot clock. He's so good at getting (relatively) easy buckets when the defense isn't fully set just because he pushes the tempo and gets to the rim when most others would wait for their teammates to run regular plays. Lonzo used to be great at that (not with his scoring, but with his insane cross-court passing). The Bulls kind of lost that when he went down. For a team that often struggles to score and generally plays slow, this is extremely important.

He actually plays a lot like Coby did in college and how I expected him to play in the NBA. Not that Coby doesn't push the pace at times, but Ayo does it a lot more relentlessly throughout the game, and for his size he is pretty darn quick.

You're right. Was thinking same. Coby never seemed to bring that to the NBA. I think part of Ayo's leveling up this season is doing more rim attacking...it leads to good things and builds his confidence.

Not sure how the guard rotation shakes out next season, but I hope that Ayo gets close to 30mpg in the rotation and he demonstrates consistency.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,649

Post#250 » by Ice Man » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:30 pm

Yes, Ayo is a great open-court player. Half court is a work in progress. I mean, it has to be, because if he were as good in the half court as he is full court, he would be an All NBA guard.
sco
RealGM

Post#251 » by sco » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:32 pm

Ice Man wrote:Yes, Ayo is a great open-court player. Half court is a work in progress. I mean, it has to be, because if he were as good in the half court as he is full court, he would be an All NBA guard.

He has a ways to go there, but also, the ball spends too much time in Demar's and Vuc's hands to give other guys much of a chance in the half court except for spot up 3's.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,528

Post#252 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 pm

sco wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:

You're right. Was thinking same. Coby never seemed to bring that to the NBA. I think part of Ayo's leveling up this season is doing more rim attacking...it leads to good things and builds his confidence.

Not sure how the guard rotation shakes out next season, but I hope that Ayo gets close to 30mpg in the rotation and he demonstrates consistency.

Yeah Coby sets more and he pushed in college but I think he wasn't really a PG just the dude who brought the ball up the court and the speed of the NBA game he was intimidated and was looking to defer to the vets.
sco
RealGM

Post#253 » by sco » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:45 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
sco wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:

Yeah Coby sets more and he pushed in college but I think he wasn't really a PG just the dude who brought the ball up the court and the speed of the NBA game he was intimidated and was looking to defer to the vets.

I think one of the things that limits Coby that he lacks the ability to get separation based on speed or length. That said, I think he has recognized this limitation this season as he has incorporated more juking and cross-overs into his attacks.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#254 » by DuckIII » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:45 pm

sco wrote:
Ice Man wrote:Yes, Ayo is a great open-court player. Half court is a work in progress. I mean, it has to be, because if he were as good in the half court as he is full court, he would be an All NBA guard.

He has a ways to go there, but also, the ball spends too much time in Demar's and Vuc's hands to give other guys much of a chance in the half court except for spot up 3's.

I agree, but he has made significant improvement in that area as well. Starting to see a lot more variety in the way he scores in the half court, he’s much less of a “ball swinger” than he used to be and looks to score a lot more (whether than produces an actual shot from him or not), and the increased speed on the release of his shot is downright remarkable.

And then the more subtle things. What stood out most to me about Ayo in the Hawks game was his body language. He looked very much at ease, and you could even say a little cocky, in that game. Ayo plays hard every game but there has been a reluctance in him that seems to be finally falling away. It’s really hard to not get excited about his future with the way he’s been playing the last few months.
sco
RealGM

Post#255 » by sco » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:49 pm

DuckIII wrote:
sco wrote:

I agree, but he has made significant improvement in that area as well. Starting to see a lot more variety in the way he scores in the half court, he’s much less of a “ball swinger” than he used to be and looks to score a lot more (whether than produces an actual shot from him or not), and the increased speed on the release of his shot is downright remarkable.

And then the more subtle things. What stood out most to me about Ayo in the Hawks game was his body language. He looked very much at ease, and you could even say a little cocky, in that game. Ayo plays hard every game but there has been a reluctance in him that seems to be finally falling away. It’s really hard to not get excited about his future le with the way he’s been playing the last few months.

I agree with that. He seems to start games in attack mode, but when we play teams with good rim protection, I notice he still disappears after a couple of misses.

I know most folks blame Young for ATL's woes this season, but Capella isn't the rim protector he used to be. He blocked only .3 per game, which is even less than Vuc.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#256 » by DuckIII » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:55 pm

Atlanta’s defense is a joke. Something to keep in mind when getting too excited about how Coby and Ayo played (but they still played great).
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,422

Post#257 » by Muzbar » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:04 pm

sco wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
sco wrote:He has a ways to go there, but also, the ball spends too much time in Demar's and Vuc's hands to give other guys much of a chance in the half court except for spot up 3's.

And then the more subtle things. What stood out most to me about Ayo in the Hawks game was his body language. He looked very much at ease, and you could even say a little cocky, in that game. Ayo plays hard every game but there has been a reluctance in him that seems to be finally falling away. It’s really hard to not get excited about his future le with the way he’s been playing the last few months.

I agree with that. He seems to start games in attack mode, but when we play teams with good rim protection, I notice he still disappears after a couple of misses.

I know most folks blame Young for ATL's woes this season, but Capella isn't the rim protector he used to be. He blocked only .3 per game, which is even less than Vuc.

Capela averaged 1.5 bpg this season...
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
sco
RealGM

Post#258 » by sco » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:22 pm

Muzbar wrote:
sco wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Capela averaged 1.5 bpg this season...

I stand corrected :oops:
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,528

Post#259 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:38 pm

sco wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
sco wrote:You're right. Was thinking same. Coby never seemed to bring that to the NBA. I think part of Ayo's leveling up this season is doing more rim attacking...it leads to good things and builds his confidence.

I think one of the things that limits Coby that he lacks the ability to get separation based on speed or length. That said, I think he has recognized this limitation this season as he has incorporated more juking and cross-overs into his attacks.

In college he was pretty good end to end speed and that helped and had decent size (even with dinosuar arms) so yeah in the NBA that changes.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#260 » by DuckIII » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:42 pm

Coby still gets plenty of separation with speed. Size, not so much, but he is getting better at using his strength to body people on drives. (Something Pat desperately needs to learn how to do.)

Return to Chicago Bulls