Image ImageImage Image

Non-sarcastic reasons to stand pat at the trade deadline Edit: And that’s what happened

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,549

Re: Non-sarcastic reasons to stand pat at the trade deadline 

Post#61 » by PaKii94 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:37 am

jnrjr79 wrote:
RSP83 wrote:
FriedRise wrote:Does this count? Or am I still too jaded lol
Read on Twitter

Crazy. Either Chicagoan really loves their basketball team or they have nothing better to do.

Huge population + largest stadium in NBA + fairly ingrained basketball culture + it's a thing to do in a cold weather city in the winter

Yup. A more accurate look would be attendance percentage. Bulls have always been like top 5 in raw attendance even during the boylen/rebuild era.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#62 » by drosestruts » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:45 pm

ScrantonBulls wrote:
drosestruts wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
They won 50 games and finished in 1st place during Korver's last year with the Bulls, but in the playoffs against Philly Rose got hurt. I guess they thought that without Rose they were done?

The real reason why they weren't contenders is because Miami had a "super team".

Correct. Absolutley - without Rose they were no longer contenders so the team wasn't worth paying the tax for.

They were contenders in 2011-12. Unfortunately Rose tore his ACL in the playoffs

2012-13 with Rose injured they trade Korver to evade the tax

2013-14 with Rose back they are a luxury tax team has ownership believes that with Rose back they are contenders (Rose would unfortunately go on to hurt himself again).

Rose was supposed to come back during the season. That's what was expected by the Bulls. They WERE contenders with that expectation. Nobody knew Rose and his squad would pull that BS and hold him out the entire season.

Korver was dumped when the team was a contender.

I disagree. ACL recovery was and still is around 1 year.

So I suppose you could argue their being a chance of Rose being back for the playoffs or late in the season, but not hitting the ground running at 100%

I remember the hype well. I personally spent too much money on tickets to a March Bulls vs 76ers game because their were rumors D Rose might return in some poetic way against the team he got hurt against. He did not - but the Bulls won and Noah had an awesome triple double.

Conventional wisdom was that the Bulls would not be in contention in 2012-13 due to Rose's injury.

And to my point - the team entered and paid the tax the very next year.
Guru
Starter
And1: 218

Post#63 » by Guru » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:09 pm

This is easy.
1. We are playing well
2. The tradeable pieces are helping that
3. Winning is learned
4. If you trade DDR then teams can more easily focus on Coby

I'd still trade DDR. But I get it
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,452

Post#64 » by samwana » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:14 pm

None, standing pat is going backwards. You always try to improve the team.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,623

Post#65 » by Ice Man » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:08 pm

samwana wrote:None, standing pat is going backwards. You always try to improve the team.

Hmmm. There's nothing wrong with shuffling the complementary pieces. That can at times be very helpful, and if those moves don't work out well the team can try again. After all, it still has its core.

But there are PLENTY of reasons to stand pat with core players. Denver won last year by stanidng pat, against an EC winner that had stood pat, which had beaten another team in the ECF that had stood pat. I could go on and on with such examples.

Of course, we are not yet such a team. So perhaps you are correct in this particular case. But I do resist the general rule.
Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 897

Post#66 » by Evil_Headband » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:08 pm

Another reason: Zach could be easier to trade in the off-season. They could then extend DeRozan and mostly have the team they wanted when exploring Zach trades.
ChiefILL53
Starter
And1: 826

Post#67 » by ChiefILL53 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:38 pm

There's really no reason to stand pat, imo. Im not saying swing for the stars, but changes to the roster definitely need to be made. Its crazy, it actually makes me miss the days where Garpax made sure they always stayed "flexible". They always pivoted too late, but at least they used to pivot. Doesnt seem like AKME wants to even do that. Very frustrating.
jc23 wrote:Goran + Lonzo + Zach = the Dragon Ball Z line up.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Post#68 » by chitownsports4ever » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:55 pm

samwana wrote:None, standing pat is going backwards. You always try to improve the team.

true but the nba is also filled with a lot of trash and sometimes the grass is not always greener
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,819

Post#69 » by NZB2323 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 11:36 pm

The best reason is because they don’t have that much trade value. How is getting a warm 6 pack of beer going to make us better?
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 465

Post#70 » by step » Wed Feb 7, 2024 11:49 pm

Evil_Headband wrote:Another reason: Zach could be easier to trade in the off-season. They could then extend DeRozan and mostly have the team they wanted when exploring Zach trades.

The context around Zach doesn't really change much in the offseason, he'll still have the same stigma attached to him. The only thing going is basically a team may falter in the playoffs and compel them to act.

Demar walking may change their desire though...
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,698

Post#71 » by SfBull » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:05 am

Ice Man wrote:Pretty much all the proposed trades involve offering players who can contribute now (Caruso, DDR, and Zach if we expand "now" to mean next season) for players who are either not so good now (prospects) or who do not yet exist (draft picks).

That is, the team will almost certainly get worse than its current .500 status. And there's no guarantee of when it may get back to the .500 level.

I know that everybody here is thinking, "Fine I will take that chance, anything but this," but not every organization will necessarily share that viewpoint. Particularly as the Bulls already went through this process 6 1/2 years ago, and failed after doing so.

So we don't have any chance of improvement.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#72 » by SfBull » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:08 am

Wingy wrote:
FriedRise wrote:- Being where we are checks most of the boxes (in terms of non-basketball related metrics like ticket sales, merch, attendance, etc.) - so why change what's technically working?
- Over reliance on league parity - believing that there's not much of a difference in terms of talent between a playoff and a play-in team and how a couple key injuries can change the outcome of a season/series
- Fear of the unknown - FO rather sticking with what they know (value contracts like Caruso, Drummond, DeRozan) vs investing for the scary unknown future
- Over reliance on cherry-picked stretches of games where the team looked like a legit contender while ignoring the rest

I think E H meant real reasons, not AK’s delusional reasons, which you’ve done a nice job summarizing btw.

I’ve really got nothing.

Even the vet leadership card is overplayed. Our youngsters are a bunch of unselfish, team first guys who have been exposed to good pros for most of their young careers. I don’t think another season is going to make any kind of material difference for Ayo, Pat, Coby.

I don't believe another season will get more improvement from them either.We're going to be an average team for the rest of the decade .
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#73 » by SfBull » Thu Feb 8, 2024 12:23 pm

That's it.Do nothing on another deadline.After all we're going to build a contender relying on Coby,White and Ayo keeping the Big 3 ( yes,let's extend DeMar for 3 **** years more).
Good luck being a 1st round loser at best for the next 5 years.
Great work AKME.

Return to Chicago Bulls