Image ImageImage Image

PG - David Robinson and Tim Duncan deliver

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,923

Re: PG - David Robinson and Tim Duncan deliver 

Post#81 » by RSP83 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:14 pm

Outside of Coby, I think what's refreshing was the twin towers. Maybe my bar is pretty low, but it's hard to find something to be excited about from this already "exhausted" roster. Didn't think I'd find a new fixture to look out for other than Coby. I'd love to see how this Twin Tower plays out.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,592

Post#82 » by Ccwatercraft » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:18 pm

RSP83 wrote:Outside of Coby, I think what's refreshing was the twin towers. Maybe my bar is pretty low, but it's hard to find something to be excited about from this already "exhausted" roster. Didn't think I'd find a new fixture to look out for other than Coby. I'd love to see how this Twin Tower plays out.

I'm looking forward to seeing a larger sample size. I can see how it can work, and how it can fail as well.

Coby, Alex, demar, Drum, vuc...
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,015

Post#83 » by Wingy » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:29 pm

RSP83 wrote:Outside of Coby, I think what's refreshing was the twin towers. Maybe my bar is pretty low, but it's hard to find something to be excited about from this already "exhausted" roster. Didn't think I'd find a new fixture to look out for other than Coby. I'd love to see how this Twin Tower plays out.

I can’t see how this success was anything but matchup specific. Today’s typical team is going to run and move all around and splash 3s on us at an insane rate.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,592

Post#84 » by Ccwatercraft » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:33 pm

drosestruts wrote:Are you not entertained!!!

What a win. The UC was electric.

It honestly makes me feel better about other games in which we didn't complete the comeback (like the Kings game). So often those get chalked up to "fake runs" and the team is discredited as not actually staging a serious comeback. Tonight showed we can win these games.

I just really like this team - did you see all the guys giving Coby love during his post-game interview with KC? Vuc, Drummond, DeRozan, Craig, and Williams all came over during the interview to hype up Coby.

I am very torn between not wanting to trade Lonzo/LaVine for depreciated value and wanting to give the guys actually out there playing a fair chance by not having $60m in cap space providing nothing at all.

And I realize this would mean eating bad contracts (like Ball and Carter for Poole or something) - but honestly, what does something like that get us? Could we get an asset in addition to Poole? I realize this isn't a trade thread so I'll try to get back on track.

Just a great win. Great stat callout from RastaBull here too - 5-2 in OT games. Winning record in Clutch Games.

Let's go win the next 3 games (Grizzlies, Magic, Hawks) and finally get to .500 here

Could a 6th seed be in grabs if Philly free falls without Embiid?

Agree, that was so much fun to watch on multiple levels! I had plans for a late dinner and turned it on just when the comeback began, so admittedly I didn't see anything negative but dam that was a blast! The next 3 are winnabull!
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#85 » by FriedRise » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:45 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:

I'm looking forward to seeing a larger sample size. I can see how it can work, and how it can fail as well.

Coby, Alex, demar, Drum, vuc...

It's 100% situational. I don't see Billy bringing it back unless we're playing the Cavs or some other teams who are also playing 2 centers.

Speaking of the Cavs, they can get away with starting 2 non-shooting centers because the other 3 guys combine to shoot 21 3PAs per game at around a league average clip. Same with Minnesota; KAT plays more like a PF and is shooting 44% from deep this season.

We just can't match that kind of production to make the lineup work especially with Vooch shooting career low in 3P%. If we had Zach instead of DeMar, then that's a different story. And also, who's gonna be the backup C if we started both of them?

For last night's game, I thought we made our run when we played Torrey Craig at the 4. KAT was gonna be shooting 3s anyway so it's not like we needed to match up size-wise. That one block he did was nasty!
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,935

Post#86 » by ChettheJet » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:52 pm

MINN is probably the ONE team that the twin tower lineup is great for, the Bulls might be the other. Think abut it, unlike the Bulls if a team was facing a 4 guard opponent they would start the two big guys and go inside all game long.

Yeah great that they came back, again awful to fall that far behind again. Caruso it the floor at least three time and you wondered if he was going to get up in one piece.

You just wonder if they do manage to make the3 even 4 deals most want, will the new guys come in and listen hard enough to hear that playing as a team, moving the ball, 27 assists, defense matters and IT'S COBY'S TEAM, that they can break the mold of the big deficit and maybe big enough comeback and win games.
Because if they keep running in place, this seems to be the pattern. Fall way behind at the half and they end up a slightly below .500 because sometimes they come back all the way to win but a few more times they just don't.
Tetlak
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,135

Post#87 » by Tetlak » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:06 pm

Lol people on this board have a short memory.

We've seen the two center lineup 2 other times this season. It's nothing but matchup specific, and the other two times it didn't work.

This is not how a good basketball team looks in 2024. Take nothing from this one game except for that Coby is HIM
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,288

Post#88 » by prolific passer » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:32 pm

Bulls just turned up the speed on the wolves and they couldn't counter. Need pieces to fit that style.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,329

Post#89 » by Stratmaster » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:41 pm

kodo wrote:
Red8911 wrote:
greenwing wrote:Great win! More twin towers, please!

It worked tonight because it was against other twin towers. I’m not sure if it will against other teams.

Also it wasn’t perfect Towns scored so many 3s because Vuc had to guard him on the 3pt line, when Craig guarded him it was better results.

Craig / Drummond would be a better 4/5 unit but benching Vuc is just not a realistic scenario. And Craig is always injured, injured again today. Even better yet, actually having a better 4/5 combo that isn't two league min players.

The big lineup doesn't work because Vuc is a great PF, it works because it gets Vucevic out of the center position.
I doubt Craig is hurt bad. He likely is just trying to avoid being traded to Detroit.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Sent from my SM-S911U using RealGM mobile app
nekorajo
Bench Warmer
And1: 580

Post#90 » by nekorajo » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:46 pm

Agreed. I'll disappointed if we lose Andre for 2nd round picks. IDK why they didn't extend him anyway? He's been showing signs of being a keeper.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#91 » by Stratmaster » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:51 pm

HomoSapien wrote:Someone from the general board made the point that KAT and Gobert seem like this elite front-court, but then looked very weak against two actual bigs in Vuc and Drummond, which makes you wonder how these guys would fare against true 90s era bigs.

I couldn't help but think that as well. Vuc and Drummond are sort of throw back in a way (more-so Drummond) and they just rattled Gobert in particular with their size and strength.
Wait. How did KAT look weak? 33 points, 3 assists and 2 blocks. Gobert... he had 16 rebounds and 12 points (he averages 14 points and 13 rebounds) . Pretty comparable to the "great game" from Drummond, although Drum outblocked him 4 to 1.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#92 » by Stratmaster » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:54 pm

Indomitable wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
RastaBull wrote:”D-D-R … Needs To Go”

How dare he score 10 points and a big assist in yet another overtime win!!!

It’s quite humorous how often people get furious over him being THE closer on this team … a team that is now 15-12 in clutch games and 5-2 in overtime’s (the most played in NBA). It’s almost like clutch games are, empirically at least, one of the few certifiable strengths of this team.

Seriously though, I do want DeMar back. This is Coby’s team, or it should be. I have no actual information, but my gut (which doesn’t matter) thinks that Coby likes DeMar and wants him around. I say if Coby did want DeMar, then keep him.
Just want to clarify. I wanted Demar to go. It had nothing to do with him not being a good player, and I think a majority of those who have advocated that trade over the last year felt the same way.

It has to do with him being 35 needing a new contract. This team is not a a contender.
Exactly

jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,612

Post#93 » by jacoby1us » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:01 pm

"We have enough"
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,390

Post#94 » by drosestruts » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:07 pm

i think one of my bigger AK/ME gripes has been the lack of a direction. They've always been trying to do a lot of things at once.

Last nights win was so fun I haven't stopped thinking about what kind of players i'd put around that group that played last night if I had an extra $60m in cap space.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,050

Post#95 » by vxmike » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:37 pm

Anyone still think Coby isn’t better than Zach? I got roasted for suggesting that earlier this season.
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,903

Post#96 » by weneeda2guard » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:30 am

vxmike wrote:Anyone still think Coby isn’t better than Zach? I got roasted for suggesting that earlier this season.

I don't think coby has more talent than lavine but what he brings to the table is more fitting to what we are trying to do than what lavine brings.

If lavine had better ball handling skills and decision making he would be a top tier talent. Lavine has the skills but lacks the intangibles. Coby doesn't have the top tier skills but he has the intangibles.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,234

Post#97 » by HomoSapien » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:33 am

Stratmaster wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:Someone from the general board made the point that KAT and Gobert seem like this elite front-court, but then looked very weak against two actual bigs in Vuc and Drummond, which makes you wonder how these guys would fare against true 90s era bigs.

I couldn't help but think that as well. Vuc and Drummond are sort of throw back in a way (more-so Drummond) and they just rattled Gobert in particular with their size and strength.
Wait. How did KAT look weak? 33 points, 3 assists and 2 blocks. Gobert... he had 16 rebounds and 12 points (he averages 14 points and 13 rebounds) . Pretty comparable to the "great game" from Drummond, although Drum outblocked him 4 to 1.

I meant weak in terms of strength. They just looked very uncomfortable going up against physicality. This applies to Gobert more, who Drummond seemed to attack as if he was a defensive liability.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#98 » by GoBlue72391 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:59 am

vxmike wrote:Anyone still think Coby isn’t better than Zach? I got roasted for suggesting that earlier this season.
Current Coby is better than current Zach, but current Coby isn't better than prime Zach was.

Coby has yet to reach his prime, so we've yet to see what his ceiling truly is. Maybe his peak will be higher than Zach's was. We'll see.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#99 » by GoBlue72391 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:59 am

weneeda2guard wrote:

I don't think coby has more talent than lavine but what he brings to the table is more fitting to what we are trying to do than what lavine brings.

If lavine had better ball handling skills and decision making he would be a top tier talent. Lavine has the skills but lacks the intangibles. Coby doesn't have the top tier skills but he has the intangibles.
I agree with this.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#100 » by GoBlue72391 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:11 am

And the problem with this is, when people were saying Coby is better than Zach and is a future star after playing well for 5-10 games it was freaking nuts, even if it ends up being true in the long run. I specifically remember telling people to pump the breaks, it's only been 3 games, 5 games, 10 games or whatever.

The sample size is big enough now for those claims to have some merit, but people were making these proclamations after like two weeks of high level play. It's absurd to make that kind of determination off such a small sample size for a 5th year player who had never flashed star level ability prior to that.

Return to Chicago Bulls