Image ImageImage Image

Buyout market

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Re: Buyout market 

Post#121 » by FriedRise » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:26 pm

Read on Twitter
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,612

Post#122 » by jacoby1us » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:46 pm

drosestruts wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:
drosestruts wrote:I still think our best option is Kai Jones. He's been a free agent all season after getting released by Charlotte. His biggest issue seems to be an offcourt (potentially drug fueled) breakdown over the summer. Everyone has different lines when it comes to offcourt issues, this one is one i'm more sympathetic to and think he deserves another chance in the leage.

Would gives us the 4/5 depth we want while providing a completley different dynamic at the spot as an uber athletic spring player.

None of our big men are capable of making plays like this

The Bulls would never touch Kai Jones even if it made the most sense to everyone basketball wise. They worry too damn much about potential PR isssues. When they don't even realize most people see our organization as joke these days anyway, we're only relevant due to the dynasty days.

I think the last three years have done a lot to change the perception of the Bulls. I think this board has been slow to catch up and also has its own ideas on what a "good organization" looks like, that i think varies greatly from the general public and especially from those within the NBA.

A player like Drummond doesn't pick up his option if we're a joke.

A player like Craig doesn't sign here if we're a joke.

But I agree with you that the Bulls front office is still reluctant to take on a player like Jones who has offcourt PR drama. In this case I think it's a mistake, and that it would also be very low risk. If Jones is a distraction - cut him. I'ts not like he'd require a high salary? We're not rolling the dice on say a Miles Bridges.

Agreed! Low risk, high reward scenario. Not sure if the Bulls have the foresight to see that through.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,234

Post#123 » by HomoSapien » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:59 pm

erlim wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:There's not a great buyout market out there for us. I wonder if it's worth looking internationally. Dzanan Musa is a guy who looks ready for another crack at the NBA. Not sure what his situation is or if we'd be able to get him, but he brings a nice skillset that we don't really have.

Seems good in theory or as an offseason pickup, but why would a dude want to leave the best Euroleague team at the last 1/3rd of the season for a team that's fighting for a play-in spot?

Having success in the NBA seems to be very important to him, and you get the sense that unfinished business there. From what I gather, he didn't want to leave the NBA but he was waived and had no suitors. You're right that joining this season may not make sense or be possible, but as for why he'd sign with the Bulls? Because we're the Chicago Bulls. We're one of the most famous sports franchises on the planet. We might feel like a joke in the NBA, but there's still a luster that exists internationally there.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#124 » by HomoSapien » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:33 pm

drosestruts wrote:I still think our best option is Kai Jones. He's been a free agent all season after getting released by Charlotte. His biggest issue seems to be an offcourt (potentially drug fueled) breakdown over the summer. Everyone has different lines when it comes to offcourt issues, this one is one i'm more sympathetic to and think he deserves another chance in the leage.

Would gives us the 4/5 depth we want while providing a completley different dynamic at the spot as an uber athletic spring player.

None of our big men are capable of making plays like this

I think this is a good idea, too. It's clear Kai has a special skillset and would add a ton of athleticism to our team. We could likely lock him up to an incredibly cheap three-year deal with team options. For a team starved of assets and youth, it's almost like we've added a first-round pick considering he was drafted 19 just a few years ago. Shaka Smart was quoted as saying he had the best work ethic of any big man he'd coached. That list includes Jarrett Allen, Mo Bamba, Jericho Sims, and Jaxson Hayes -- most of those guys are underwhelming but all are credible talents.

Just spent some time reading about Kai, here's his explanation about what happened in Charlotte:

I loved the whole situation in Charlotte, I wish it could have continued. But, I think it's for the better that I moved on. They were a little concerned about the social media stuff, they were concerned about my sleeping patterns. My great grandma has just passed away, and they (Hornets) were like I hope we're not bothering you too much. I was going through some things off the floor, like any person is.

They were like "Man Kai, we told you to get right, we want you to see a therapist ". This time I'm stubborn, I'm like "Bro, I do not want to see a therapist, I just want to meditate and clear my head to figure it out on my own, you know use my intutition to figure out my own issues. They were like "No, you gotta see a therapist"... I end up going right, I feel like the therapy is not helping.

Mitch then tells me I'm not allowed to do training camp. When he tells me that, that's when I was like "Bro, I'm off with this team. How can I play here when they won't let me do training camp, they're not allowing me to tryout for my position". So I'm upset, I wanna leave now and I decided to leave. After a couple of days, Mitch was like "So nobody is going to... We feel like you don't have any trade value. I say "Why not?" I'm breaking it down to him why I think I do. And he doesn't think I do so I'm like okay that's fine, so they waive me"

https://www.si.com/nba/hornets/news/kai-jones-reveals-details-behind-his-exit-from-charlotte

Obviously, that's his interpretation of what happened. Here's another:

It all started on Sept. 7 when he went on Instagram Live and addressed trade rumors. The 22-year-old was profusely sweating and talking so fast he could hardly be understood. The video had viewers concerned for his well-being.

Jones later took to X, formerly known as Twitter, posting, "I was not on drugs or intoxicated. I was enjoying my night in my crib, y'all buggin'," with some emojis and the hashtag, "#GOATLIFE."

Fans continued to prod Jones on X, asking him questions about the upcoming season. He claimed to be better than LeBron James and Shaquille O'Neal. When someone asked if he would admit that LaMelo Ball and Brandon Miller were better than him, his response wasn't exactly that of a humble teammate.

"I've had a higher [field goal percentage] than those guys since I came out the womb and none of them can guard me so know your ball before you talk to the one in here," Jones replied followed by a series of assorted emojis.

In the past, I would've said that it's telling that no NBA team has touched him since he was waived, but now I think a lot of front offices are overly conservative or just stupid. Look at the league's opinion of Drummond. He has this reputation of being this empty-stats, dumb, low-impact player who was sort of on the verge of falling out of the league and yet he's been one of the best stories of our season. He's also a great teammate. So much about succeeding in the NBA (and frankly in life) is about opportunity and environment. Kai is worth looking into, IMO.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,144

Post#125 » by MrSparkle » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:41 pm

Agreed about Kai- I wouldn’t be too picky about personalities. Plus one of the benefits of having uncle Demar, Drummond, and Billy is mentorship for a troubled, lost young guy. You could always give him a 10-day chance and cut him if he’s too distracting.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#126 » by GoBlue72391 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:16 pm

I don't think we're going to sign anyone. The trade deadline was a week ago and guys are signing with other teams and I haven't even heard us linked to anyone beyond speculation.
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,104

Post#127 » by cool007 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:58 pm

I really hope Fournier is released by Pistons and we sign him up. In Lavine's absense, he could be a big help in us making the run for playoffs.

He and Vucevic are buddies and if he is released, Vuc may convince him to join Bulls.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#128 » by HomoSapien » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:23 pm

cool007 wrote:I really hope Fournier is released by Pistons and we sign him up. In Lavine's absense, he could be a big help in us making the run for playoffs.

He and Vucevic are buddies and if he is released, Vuc may convince him to join Bulls.

We don't really have the PT for him. I'd personally rather just try to develop Dalen than shoehorn Fournier at the 3 spot, which he'll be undersized at anyway.
Infinity2152
Senior
And1: 282

Post#129 » by Infinity2152 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:56 pm

I may be misremembering, but when Kai Jones gets wild, he gets WILD! Think he was saying he's the best player in the league, getting into it with coaches, on Twitter 5 times a day with some wild stuff. Talent was never questioned, but our team is too young, Zach, maybe Debo may be gone, Coby and Pat are coming into their own, a more veteran team could take a chance. There's nobody to keep him in check here, too many good guys.

Thinking about the Bulls roster, the fact that none of these buyout candidates except Dinwiddie could even see much time on the floor even with two starters out (three really) speaks to the depth of this team. As hard as guys are on the Bulls, we don't have any bums on this team, and not many that couldn't be considered above average that get minutes here.
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,321

Post#130 » by d boy gentleman » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:49 pm

Read on Twitter
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
FriedRise
RealGM

Post#131 » by FriedRise » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:10 am

d boy gentleman wrote:
Read on Twitter

Competitive in the Gallinari sweepstakes and continually get turned down!
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,443

Post#132 » by Muzbar » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:06 am

Options are dwindling.

Notable players left:

Forkan Korkmaz
Chimezie Metu
Joe Harris
James Bouknight
Marcus Morris Sr. (not technically bought out yet and rumoured to want to sign with the T-Wolves when he is).

Less notable:

Killian Hayes
Robin Lopez
Victor Oladipo
Cory Joseph

Of the names above I'd like Metu, Korkmaz or Bouknight in that order.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
BahamaBull
General Manager
And1: 2,123

Post#133 » by BahamaBull » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:30 pm

AK is in Cabo enjoying his millions after taking two years off from work... Of course, he's not going to do anything... He hasn't been doing anything for years now...AK is soooo bad he makes me miss Pax...At least Pax could draft well...

#continuity
Donkedave
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#134 » by Donkedave » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:24 pm

Is any of our two way players worth getting minutes into? Don’t get to watch any of there games personally.
2024 draft Bulls select who?
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,678

Post#135 » by sco » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:00 pm

Donkedave wrote:Is any of our two way players worth getting minutes into? Don’t get to watch any of there games personally.

I think both are, over Terry, but there seems to be an organizational mandate to make Terry work (for AK's sake).
:clap:
FriedRise
RealGM

Post#136 » by FriedRise » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:36 pm

Donkedave wrote:Is any of our two way players worth getting minutes into? Don’t get to watch any of there games personally.

Bitim is intriguing to me. Decent size, knockdown shooter.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,661

Post#137 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:56 pm

FriedRise wrote:

Bitim is intriguing to me. Decent size, knockdown shooter.

Release Bitcoin!
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,285

Post#138 » by Dan Z » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:59 pm

Muzbar wrote:Options are dwindling.

Notable players left:

Forkan Korkmaz
Chimezie Metu
Joe Harris
James Bouknight
Marcus Morris Sr. (not technically bought out yet and rumoured to want to sign with the T-Wolves when he is).

Less notable:

Killian Hayes
Robin Lopez
Victor Oladipo
Cory Joseph

Of the names above I'd like Metu, Korkmaz or Bouknight in that order.

I'm not sure if any of them would make a difference, but the Bulls could use size.
nanokooshball
Sophomore
And1: 257

Post#139 » by nanokooshball » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:36 pm

Poku just got released from OKC. We're desperate for some size at the 3/4 right now. Could be a good fit / trial
terry
Senior
And1: 268

Post#140 » by terry » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:48 pm

nanokooshball wrote:Poku just got released from OKC. We're desperate for some size at the 3/4 right now. Could be a good fit / trial

Definitely on board with this.

Return to Chicago Bulls