Image ImageImage Image

Buyout market

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,231

Re: Buyout market 

Post#101 » by HomoSapien » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:49 pm

Assuming Pat comes back, the biggest spot for minutes is the Terry/Phillips role. That maybe could be a 10-15 minute role depending on who is healthy and the matchups. Joe Harris provides the best skillset we're lacking if he hasn't actually fallen off a cliff. The problem is, we're also lacking length and athleticism and Terry/Phillips provide that.

Gallinari is more of a complete player and has size, but probably not the foot speed to play the three. Then again, neither does Harris. Bouknight and Hayes can't help us this year, but they're cheap recent lottery picks. Bouknight has a lot of off-the-court issues. Bazely has been a free-agent all season. I've always liked his potential, and he's far along enough now that he can contribute with minutes.

Beverly and Thompson made sense. I'm not sure if anyone currently available is going to be all that additive. If Pat isn't going to come back, then Gallinari would be a great addition and even Bertans might make some sense if he hits the buyout market.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,124

Post#102 » by MrSparkle » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:52 pm

I don’t think Joe Harris would crack Billy’s rotation. Defensive issues. Don’t really see the point of adding a guy just to add a guy. Gallo might get the vet preferential treatment, but I think he’d make us worse at this point.

Drell and Bitim have been lighting up the G-League. Phillips and Terry could use the developmental minutes: have to take the good, bad and ugly. Craig could shoulder a bigger role as he heals more.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,823

Post#103 » by dougthonus » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:00 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:I definitely agree that there's room to give out some minutes. My only point was even if the Bulls can sign a buyout guy (and as you noted, there's reason to believe they cannot), I'm not sure it would have happened yet, because the Bulls aren't going to be at the top of anyone's list.

Agreed. Without an obvious high minute role or deep playoff role likely, we're probably pretty low on the priority list.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,671

Post#104 » by sco » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:09 pm

MrSparkle wrote:I don’t think Joe Harris would crack Billy’s rotation. Defensive issues. Don’t really see the point of adding a guy just to add a guy. Gallo might get the vet preferential treatment, but I think he’d make us worse at this point.

Drell and Bitim have been lighting up the G-League. Phillips and Terry could use the developmental minutes: have to take the good, bad and ugly. Craig could shoulder a bigger role as he heals more.

Good point. I would really love to see more of those 2. Especially Drell while Pat is out. I think he's a better complement to Terry than Phillips.
:clap:
jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 3,083

Post#105 » by jordanwilliams6 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:30 pm

3 & D is still the biggest need on the team. Carter basically plays that role but given he barely handles the ball, we could replace him with some size in those 15 minutes after Pat comes back. Coby, AC, Ayo & Demar is plenty of ball handling across both units.
sco
RealGM

Post#106 » by sco » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:55 pm

I think our biggest need is emergency depth at 4/5. Also, I'm still not at all confident Pat comes back any time soon.

https://www.bleachernation.com/bulls/2024/02/13/nba-buyout-chicago-bulls/

I think we should go after Gallo, Morris or Metu.
DropStep
Junior
And1: 158

Post#107 » by DropStep » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:38 am

The vets are still here, and we'll be competitive. AKME goal achieved.

As well-argued above, any gains from buyout guys are likely to be pretty marginal at best, unless Pat is out. And, hopefully our culture is improved and we are past needing a PatBev culture boost like we got last year.

Maybe we're at the point in the plan (if there is one) to develop our own Caleb Martin/Gabe Vincent/Haywood Highsmith/Duncan Robinson guys this year. We have some potential - many of the guys we have laying around have better pedigrees than those Heat guys did. I've been pining for an addition, but I think I just now got convinced that we should give our last few minutes to them and avoid the buyout market, unless there is distressed young talent out there to add to our roster of developmental guys. That last victory or two some Joe Harris could give us (or just as likely, not give us) isn't important compared with developing the youngs. Save your money, Jerry, as long as you let us use it in a higher-leverage situation down the road.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#108 » by HomoSapien » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:30 am

There's not a great buyout market out there for us. I wonder if it's worth looking internationally. Dzanan Musa is a guy who looks ready for another crack at the NBA. Not sure what his situation is or if we'd be able to get him, but he brings a nice skillset that we don't really have.

Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,434

Post#109 » by Muzbar » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:06 am

sco wrote:I think our biggest need is emergency depth at 4/5. Also, I'm still not at all confident Pat comes back any time soon.

I want either Gallo, Bouknight or Metu (Morris is rumoured to be leaning toward joining the Wolves).

Do not want: Killian Hayes
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,230

Post#110 » by Red8911 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:46 am

MrSparkle wrote:I don’t think Joe Harris would crack Billy’s rotation. Defensive issues. Don’t really see the point of adding a guy just to add a guy. Gallo might get the vet preferential treatment, but I think he’d make us worse at this point.

I disagree, Harris would help with his 3pt shooting and experience offensively. He could play around 20 min a night and contribute.

On Drell and Bitim I too want to see them especially Bitim but for some reason Billy hasnt given them any chance even when the team was short handed. I don’t see him putting them in anytime this season.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,699

Post#111 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:15 pm

HomoSapien wrote:There's not a great buyout market out there for us. I wonder if it's worth looking internationally. Dzanan Musa is a guy who looks ready for another crack at the NBA. Not sure what his situation is or if we'd be able to get him, but he brings a nice skillset that we don't really have.

Wow, he's only 24, I remember him being in the league ages ago.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#112 » by HomoSapien » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:56 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:There's not a great buyout market out there for us. I wonder if it's worth looking internationally. Dzanan Musa is a guy who looks ready for another crack at the NBA. Not sure what his situation is or if we'd be able to get him, but he brings a nice skillset that we don't really have.

Yup, still very young and seems to have polished up his game.

"Yes, I've said that over time, and I believe it's every kid's dream to achieve that. I am still an ambitious kid. I want to improve my game every day, and who knows what's going to happen in the future?" Musa responds.

That last part of Musa's reply is particularly relevant when it comes to a potential NBA comeback. Bosnian legend Mirza Teletovic thinks it's only a matter of time until his countryman returns to the top league.

"He may have gone to the NBA too soon and been burned, but I believe he will return to the US soon because he just needed more experience and more games," Teletovic said in an interview with Israel Hayom.

"Of course, you're not closing the door on the NBA," he admits.

"If some offer comes, I'm going to take it seriously. But I hope to stay with Real Madrid for as many years as possible."

https://basketnews.com/news-184067-dzanan-musa-recalls-bartzokas-words-reveals-toughest-moment-leaves-nba-door-open.html
DropStep
Junior
And1: 158

Post#113 » by DropStep » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:25 pm

Thad to the Suns.

This is kind of funny but also impressive:

Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,269

Post#114 » by Dan Z » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:38 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:

Yup, still very young and seems to have polished up his game.

"Yes, I've said that over time, and I believe it's every kid's dream to achieve that. I am still an ambitious kid. I want to improve my game every day, and who knows what's going to happen in the future?" Musa responds.

That last part of Musa's reply is particularly relevant when it comes to a potential NBA comeback. Bosnian legend Mirza Teletovic thinks it's only a matter of time until his countryman returns to the top league.

"He may have gone to the NBA too soon and been burned, but I believe he will return to the US soon because he just needed more experience and more games," Teletovic said in an interview with Israel Hayom.

"Of course, you're not closing the door on the NBA," he admits.

"If some offer comes, I'm going to take it seriously. But I hope to stay with Real Madrid for as many years as possible."

https://basketnews.com/news-184067-dzanan-musa-recalls-bartzokas-words-reveals-toughest-moment-leaves-nba-door-open.html

Because AK is looking to "win now" I think it's a good idea to take a chance on players like Musa. The problem is do the Bulls have money and roster space for him?
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,052

Post#115 » by erlim » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:57 am

Seems good in theory or as an offseason pickup, but why would a dude want to leave the best Euroleague team at the last 1/3rd of the season for a team that's fighting for a play-in spot?
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,653

Post#116 » by Repeat 3-peat » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:36 pm

drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,386

Post#117 » by drosestruts » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:15 pm

I still think our best option is Kai Jones. He's been a free agent all season after getting released by Charlotte. His biggest issue seems to be an offcourt (potentially drug fueled) breakdown over the summer. Everyone has different lines when it comes to offcourt issues, this one is one i'm more sympathetic to and think he deserves another chance in the leage.

Would gives us the 4/5 depth we want while providing a completley different dynamic at the spot as an uber athletic spring player.

None of our big men are capable of making plays like this

sco
RealGM

Post#118 » by sco » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:04 pm

Muzbar wrote:
sco wrote:I think our biggest need is emergency depth at 4/5. Also, I'm still not at all confident Pat comes back any time soon.

I want either Gallo, Bouknight or Metu (Morris is rumoured to be leaning toward joining the Wolves).

Do not want: Killian Hayes

I like Bourknight but, we are guard heavy right now, so it's Gallo or Metu for me.

I'd be fine picking up Hayes next season on a min deal to see if he can be fixed.
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,612

Post#119 » by jacoby1us » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:14 pm

drosestruts wrote:I still think our best option is Kai Jones. He's been a free agent all season after getting released by Charlotte. His biggest issue seems to be an offcourt (potentially drug fueled) breakdown over the summer. Everyone has different lines when it comes to offcourt issues, this one is one i'm more sympathetic to and think he deserves another chance in the leage.

Would gives us the 4/5 depth we want while providing a completley different dynamic at the spot as an uber athletic spring player.

The Bulls would never touch Kai Jones even if it made the most sense to everyone basketball wise. They worry too damn much about potential PR isssues. When they don't even realize most people see our organization as joke these days anyway, we're only relevant due to the dynasty days.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,386

Post#120 » by drosestruts » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:56 pm

jacoby1us wrote:
drosestruts wrote:I still think our best option is Kai Jones. He's been a free agent all season after getting released by Charlotte. His biggest issue seems to be an offcourt (potentially drug fueled) breakdown over the summer. Everyone has different lines when it comes to offcourt issues, this one is one i'm more sympathetic to and think he deserves another chance in the leage.

The Bulls would never touch Kai Jones even if it made the most sense to everyone basketball wise. They worry too damn much about potential PR isssues. When they don't even realize most people see our organization as joke these days anyway, we're only relevant due to the dynasty days.

I think the last three years have done a lot to change the perception of the Bulls. I think this board has been slow to catch up and also has its own ideas on what a "good organization" looks like, that i think varies greatly from the general public and especially from those within the NBA.

A player like Drummond doesn't pick up his option if we're a joke.

A player like Craig doesn't sign here if we're a joke.

But I agree with you that the Bulls front office is still reluctant to take on a player like Jones who has offcourt PR drama. In this case I think it's a mistake, and that it would also be very low risk. If Jones is a distraction - cut him. I'ts not like he'd require a high salary? We're not rolling the dice on say a Miles Bridges.

Return to Chicago Bulls