Image ImageImage Image

That cheap prick JR is seeking $1 Billion from us taxpayers

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,574

That cheap prick JR is seeking $1 Billion from us taxpayers 

Post#1 » by Dominator83 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:19 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/white-sox-reportedly-seeking-1-billion-from-illinois-to-fund-new-stadium-050719697.html

Jerry Reinsdorf would like some taxpayer money.

I hope they tell him to go pound sand
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,569

Re: That cheap prick JR is seeking $1 Billion from us taxpayers 

Post#2 » by dice » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:57 am

Dominator83 wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/white-sox-reportedly-seeking-1-billion-from-illinois-to-fund-new-stadium-050719697.html

they all ask. question is how much white sox mean to chicago
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 741

Post#3 » by Charlesareed » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:34 am

It won’t happen and why do the Sox need a new stadium it’s been over 10 years since I been to the White Sox stadium
Chicago Raised me
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 465

Post#4 » by step » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:15 pm

Sadly haven't most cities been forced to cave and pay substantially for said improvements?

The rich don't stay rich by spending their own money...
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,775

Post#5 » by dougthonus » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:36 pm

All owners want taxpayer money, it's just how things are now done.

That said, it's hard to imagine an owner having less leverage than Reinsdorf in this scenario. The Sox are a second class citizen baseball team that the city wouldn't lose all that much if they left. They'd still have the vastly more popular Cubs and still have baseball in Chicago.

If Chicago was fighting the Bears, which would actually be a pretty big deal if they left, then they have to simply just be laughing their asses off at the White Sox.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
chitowndish
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#6 » by chitowndish » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:25 pm

Maybe we can attach performance incentives.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,162

Post#7 » by League Circles » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:44 pm

Wait, the White Sox are still in Chicago now???
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
El Ridda
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#8 » by El Ridda » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:10 pm

dougthonus wrote:All owners want taxpayer money, it's just how things are now done.

That said, it's hard to imagine an owner having less leverage than Reinsdorf in this scenario. The Sox are a second class citizen baseball team that the city wouldn't lose all that much if they left. They'd still have the vastly more popular Cubs and still have baseball in Chicago.

If Chicago was fighting the Bears, which would actually be a pretty big deal if they left, then they have to simply just be laughing their asses off at the White Sox.

Yes to all of this. Also- this is a city (and state) that has faced massive budget deficits. AND- it’s not like the White Sox are offering to develop some undesirable piece of land that would invigorate a down trodden area of the city. They want to build in the south loop for gods sake.

What a joke. Totally tone deaf.
Cup of Cognac, Hidden Dime Sack.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,417

Post#9 » by Indomitable » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:11 pm

Bye
:banghead:
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,282

Post#10 » by prolific passer » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:57 pm

Just proves that he cares more about the White Sox than he does all his other sports teams which is why people want him to sell the bulls.
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,142

Post#11 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:20 am

i would expect the state and city to give the team money to build a park but it shouldn't be at "the 78" it should stay right where it's at. public investment in arenas is arguably better for the public nowadays than letting the team have free reign to build what and where they want. plenty of cities have found success using ballparks to anchor new districts or reinvigorate decaying ones, ie in Denver, Cleveland, Atlanta, Arlington, San Diego. it seems to be working. done the right way, it can be a real boon to a city's tax revenue and the investment will actually pay off.
i lament the fact that cities and states have almost entirely turned over the servicing of public goods to private entities, alas that's the society we presently live in and so if Chicago and Illinois go the route of funding construction, they need to go about it the smart way. there's a real opportunity to inject some life into Bridgeport and Bronzeville's economy but the mayor's office simply wants to feed the downtown machine. developers don't need incentives to build there, they need incentives to build in south and west side neighborhoods. Lightfoot started that invest south/west program which, imo, has been an abject failure, but I appreciate that her head was in the right place on this. I think it's not a coincidence that there's this resurgence of crime and hooliganism downtown and on the CTA and I think it's connected to the fact that the city prioritizes downtown interests too much. yes, tourism is a pivotal part of the economy and the loop is almost a fun place to hangout these days, but we also need to take care of the citizens who actually live here too.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,352

Post#12 » by Kurt Heimlich » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:33 am

LOL. I know plenty of people who are Sox fans. And none of them are willing to pay any real money to see a Sox game. Chicago needs find to savings in its budget, not give another Billion away. And giving that money to a franchise that adds nothing of value to the City is just so dumbfounding I can't believe it would happen. But Chicago mayoral voters haven't had a great history of late, so not holding my breath for a common sense outcome.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,457

Post#13 » by fleet » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:54 am

dice wrote:
Dominator83 wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/white-sox-reportedly-seeking-1-billion-from-illinois-to-fund-new-stadium-050719697.html

they all ask. question is how much white sox mean to chicago

The White Sox could have meant a lot. As such, not much. But speaking as an ex Sox and Bulls fan, if somehow building a ballpark was coupled with the Reinsdorf(s) leaving Chicago, I would pay real cash.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
RagingBull316
Rookie
And1: 911

Post#14 » by RagingBull316 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:44 am

I don't understand why a large market would ever give in and give a sports team money. The players and coaches are completely different at least every 5 years, and nobody is a fan of the organizations themselves especially the owner. The only thing you are really a fan of is the city which isn't going anywhere and the team name and logo attached to it since everything else changes.

The owner needs the market and city a hell of a lot more then the city needs a owner who doesn't want to invest his own money. The city would be stupid to give him money, if he doesn't want to pay to build here another person would down the line. It's too big of a market.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,769

Post#15 » by Jeffster81 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:21 am

I think Reinsdorf wants to move the franchise to Nashville. Chicago should let him.

Just remember. outside of 2005, the White Sox have not won a playoff series since 1917. Reinsdorf is literally the worst and WS fans deserve better.
Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,602

Post#16 » by Jimako10 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:09 am

Counter offer: Sell the bulls and we'll agree.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,790

Post#17 » by WindyCityBorn » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:16 am

They can leave.
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,282

Post#18 » by prolific passer » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:37 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:I think Reinsdorf wants to move the franchise to Nashville. Chicago should let him.

Just remember. outside of 2005, the White Sox have not won a playoff series since 1917. Reinsdorf is literally the worst and WS fans deserve better.

I think it was Konerko who got interviewed shortly after the parade and stuff and he admitted that Chicago loves the Cubs way more than the White Sox and because the Red Sox ended their curse in 04 and the White Sox ended theirs in 05. 06 was meant to be the Cubs year but it didn't happen.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,801

Post#19 » by Jcool0 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:25 pm

RagingBull316 wrote:I don't understand why a large market would ever give in and give a sports team money. The players and coaches are completely different at least every 5 years, and nobody is a fan of the organizations themselves especially the owner. The only thing you are really a fan of is the city which isn't going anywhere and the team name and logo attached to it since everything else changes.

The owner needs the market and city a hell of a lot more then the city needs a owner who doesn't want to invest his own money. The city would be stupid to give him money, if he doesn't want to pay to build here another person would down the line. It's too big of a market.

Having an professional sports team is more a status symbol then money maker. Its also one of the few issues we have left in this country that isn't completely divided. It was an easy win for politicians to give teams money to keep them from moving somewhere else. Though that is starting to change with more and more people no longer wanting to pay for stadiums now that owners making billions off them. Though Buffalo just got 850 million to help build there new stadium, so it hasn't completely shifted.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#20 » by drosestruts » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:08 pm

do we have to call him a cheap prick when what he's asking for is pretty standard amongst every sports franchise owner in every league?

Return to Chicago Bulls