Image ImageImage Image

No Bull Tour: Pippen, Grant, Longley to share perspective on The Last Dance

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

greenwing
Sixth Man
And1: 441

Re: No Bull Tour: Pippen, Grant, Longley to share perspective on The Last Dance 

Post#41 » by greenwing » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:01 pm

FriedRise wrote:I'm honestly happy this is happening, because this can only mean one thing: someone's gonna take it personally and we're gonna get The Last Dance Part II.

Not sure why some posters are not happy about this. As someone who grew up idolizing these guys, I would love to hear their perspectives on those teams.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,738

Post#42 » by DuckIII » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:58 pm

jacoby1us wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:So ashamed that these are my Chicago Bull icons from the 90s, they have grown to be bitter old men. Do better, all of you signed contracts to be apart of the Last Dance Documentary. You knew what the concept of the documentary was about. Just sad to see these guys try to tear apart their former teammates' legacy when MJ has never talked down about any of them.

Even when he said the comment about Longely in the last dance not having an impact in the second half of their game against the Jazz in the regular season after killing it in the first half, it was just a matter of him wanting Longley to be consistent for 48 minutes versus half of a game.

Seriously ashamed of where we are with our former Chicago Bulls icons from our Dynasty teams.

^ this is a perfect example of what I’m talking about. No wonder famous and wealthy people so often get to play by a different set of rules.

Please do tell me what will they discuss that we as the fans don't already know about MJ?

- Not a nice person
- Not a nice teammate
- Wouldn't have won without us
- Primary Dominant hand was right for many many years.

I have no idea what they are going to say about anything, MJ or otherwise. But it’s as much their right to express their view of the experience as it is Jordan’s. You are all about it when Jordan does it through having editorial control over a mass marketed, multi-platform, multi-phased documentary. But you disown other Bulls players for doing something similar on a much smaller scale.

That’s pretty clear hypocrisy, and the only way to account for it is that MJ is the most famous athlete in the history of the human race and the other guys aren’t.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,452

Post#43 » by jnrjr79 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:58 pm

greenwing wrote:
FriedRise wrote:I'm honestly happy this is happening, because this can only mean one thing: someone's gonna take it personally and we're gonna get The Last Dance Part II.

Not sure why some posters are not happy about this. As someone who grew up idolizing these guys, I would love to hear their perspectives on those teams.

I think the idea here is that if this were reminiscing about the dynasty years generally, people would be fine, but when it looks like a bunch of embittered 60-year old guys slinging mud at each other over perceived slights from 30 years ago, it's decidedly less fun.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,826

Post#44 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:07 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
greenwing wrote:

I think the idea here is that if this were reminiscing about the dynasty years generally, people would be fine, but when it looks like a bunch of embittered 60-year old guys slinging mud at each other over perceived slights from 30 years ago, it's decidedly less fun.

Again, why are you assuming that the entire talking tour is going to be about those 3 former players slinging mud the entire time? You're being upset about something that hasn't even happened. That's what I don't get. And yet at the same time, a lot of people loved The Last Dance and all the reminiscing of the past, even though it was heavily curated for something that has happened 30 years ago. I'm afraid to say, history isn't all rainbows and sunshine, and like with all stories, there are different sides of the story from different perspectives. The double standards here is just out of whack.
Why so serious?
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 466

Post#45 » by step » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:35 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:The double standards here is just out of whack.

Amen to that.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,511

Post#46 » by fleet » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:25 am

Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,452

Post#47 » by jnrjr79 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:00 am

kulaz3000 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
greenwing wrote:

Again, why are you assuming that the entire talking tour is going to be about those 3 former players slinging mud the entire time? You're being upset about something that hasn't even happened. That's what I don't get. And yet at the same time, a lot of people loved The Last Dance and all the reminiscing of the past, even though it was heavily curated for something that has happened 30 years ago. I'm afraid to say, history isn't all rainbows and sunshine, and like with all stories, there are different sides of the story from different perspectives. The double standards here is just out of whack.

All the reporting on it is framing it as a rejoinder to the documentary, so that’s why I view it as such. If it’s not that, great.

In any event, I’m not saying these guys don’t have the right to air their perspectives, but if it is what it’s framed as being - an opportunity to push back against MJ and the doc (which didn’t even seem that critical of these guys in the first place) - it just comes off as kind of sad. They’re obviously welcome to do whatever they want to do, but if anyone makes millions of bucks playing basketball and wins a bunch of titles and they wanted to spend their golden years re-litigating decades-old grievances, I don’t understand how anyone wouldn’t view that as a fairly sad enterprise. Lord knows I’d view my own life pretty dismally if I felt the need when I was 60 years old to do a speaking tour about how my coworkers thirty years earlier had wronged me. So I hope this is something other than that.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,921

Post#48 » by NZB2323 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:34 am

jnrjr79 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

All the reporting on it is framing it as a rejoinder to the documentary, so that’s why I view it as such. If it’s not that, great.

In any event, I’m not saying these guys don’t have the right to air their perspectives, but if it is what it’s framed as being - an opportunity to push back against MJ and the doc (which didn’t even seem that critical of these guys in the first place) - it just comes off as kind of sad. They’re obviously welcome to do whatever they want to do, but if anyone makes millions of bucks playing basketball and wins a bunch of titles and they wanted to spend their golden years re-litigating decades-old grievances, I don’t understand how anyone wouldn’t view that as a fairly sad enterprise. Lord knows I’d view my own life pretty dismally if I felt the need when I was 60 years old to do a speaking tour about how my coworkers thirty years earlier had wronged me. So I hope this is something other than that.

What if you got paid millions of dollars to do a speaking tour paid by people who are your fans? Would it still be sad?
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,826

Post#49 » by kulaz3000 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:39 am

NZB2323 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:

What if you got paid millions of dollars to do a speaking tour paid by people who are your fans? Would it still be sad?

It's easy to be critical of people who go out and make money, but speaking tours, writing and selling biographical books, it's nothing out of the norm. Almost every celebrity, or even b-level celebrities do this to make a buck. It's not sad, it's business, because there are people out there willing to pay for it.

What's sad is that people choose to wear rose tinted glasses on past experiences and try to encapsulate that time as though there were no issues, no gripes, and that everything was hunky dorey, but that is hardly ever the case in any situation.
Why so serious?
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,922

Post#50 » by RSP83 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:43 am

There's really zero to little upside of doing this for Pippen, Grant, and Longley.

Financially, there's nothing to gain. Neither of them have any platform or large fanbase.

For older fans we watched that team and knew who they are and we're already holding them to high regards despite Last Dance. We older fans are thankful for those years, and we don't discount their contribution. So doing this won't change anything for me as part of old Bulls fanbase. They don't have to do this. We get it. We still love you.

For younger fans, they won't care. How much do I care about Bob Love's legacy who was way beyond my time? Do I care if he stepped up call out an ex-teammate for their past toxic behavior? No, and neither will the younger generation Bulls fans on this No Bull Tour.

The only people who care about this are those whose main interest is reducing MJ's legacy for whatever reason (e.g., the Lebron-sexuals). And for media and content creator this drives traffic into their platform.

The biggest losers are Pippen, Grant, and Longley themselves. I can't imagine they get meaningful gain out of this, unless they're so fragile mentally that they really need this to set them straight.
ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 957

Post#51 » by ScrantonBulls » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:56 am

RSP83 wrote:There's really zero to little upside of doing this for Pippen, Grant, and Longley.

Financially, there's nothing to gain. Neither of them have any platform or large fanbase.

For older fans we watched that team and knew who they are and we're already holding them to high regards despite Last Dance. We older fans are thankful for those years, and we don't discount their contribution. So doing this won't change anything for me as part of old Bulls fanbase. They don't have to do this. We get it. We still love you.

For younger fans, they won't care. How much do I care about Bob Love's legacy who was way beyond my time? Do I care if he stepped up call out an ex-teammate for their past toxic behavior? No, and neither will the younger generation Bulls fans on this No Bull Tour.

The only people who care about this are those whose main interest is reducing MJ's legacy for whatever reason (e.g., the Lebron-sexuals). And for media and content creator this drives traffic into their platform.

The biggest losers are Pippen, Grant, and Longley themselves. I can't imagine they get meaningful gain out of this, unless they're so fragile mentally that they really need this to set them straight.

Scottie is getting paid $1.2 million. That is a lot to gain financially. It's an absolute no brainer for him. I'm assuming the other guys are getting 6 figure payments as well.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,922

Post#52 » by RSP83 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:43 am

ScrantonBulls wrote:
RSP83 wrote:There's really zero to little upside of doing this for Pippen, Grant, and Longley.

Scottie is getting paid $1.2 million. That is a lot to gain financially. It's an absolute no brainer for him. I'm assuming the other guys are getting 6 figure payments as well.

Ah ok, sorry I missed this detail. Then this is obvious. Then, who's driving this?

EDIT: just have enough time to read up more into this. It's something to do with the NBL (Australian Basketball League). What's the significance of this for the NBL? Is the Bulls fanbase that big there? Or maybe Longley is a big time legend there. I guess MarkK is the right guy to share his view about this.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

Post#53 » by Jeffster81 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:07 am

If they want to sit around and talk about their time in Chicago and the NBA in general, with an occastional jab at MJ, fine, that could be entertaining but if it is an excuse to go complete b^^chfest on MJ, then I'm out. I am not defendning MJ, like he needs me to defends him anyways, I just don't want to hear three old dudes complaining about stuff that happen 30 year ago.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by DuckIII » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:18 pm

I wonder how many times you write posts like this when MJ would do something to promote his own interests.

This hero worship crap about professional athletes, actors, musicians, TV personalities never made a lick of sense to me. Even when I was young and not the crotchety old man I am today.

These guys are just regular flawed human beings who are elite at something that entertains us. That’s it. If you admire things they do in their private lives (like Luol Deng for example) that’s great and they should be complimented and respected for specific acts. But we still don’t know them.

This is especially so in MJ’s case when virtually everything about him off the basketball court suggests that on a personal level there is very little to admire. If you took what you know about Michael Jordan and strip away the basketball part, it’s kinda ugly.

To some extent I admit this is a pet peeve of mine that extends beyond MJ to fame-deference in general. So I’m probably extra harsh. I don’t understand hero worship of humans as people simply because of a skill. Admire the skill? Love the skill? Respect the work and craft? Absolutely. But the rest of it, I’ll just never understand it. Especially taking it to the point of tearing down others for doing the same thing (even on a smaller scale) as the perceived hero, like in this thread.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by DuckIII » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:19 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:If they want to sit around and talk about their time in Chicago and the NBA in general, with an occastional jab at MJ, fine, that could be entertaining but if it is an excuse to go complete b^^chfest on MJ, then I'm out. I am not defendning MJ, like he needs me to defends him anyways, I just don't want to hear three old dudes complaining about stuff that happen 30 year ago.

This on the other hand is totally fair.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,622

Post#56 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:27 pm

RSP83 wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:

Ah ok, sorry I missed this detail. Then this is obvious. Then, who's driving this?

EDIT: just have enough time to read up more into this. It's something to do with the NBL (Australian Basketball League). What's the significance of this for the NBL? Is the Bulls fanbase that big there? Or maybe Longley is a big time legend there. I guess MarkK is the right guy to share his view about this.

Yes safe to say the dynasty fan base is pretty big globally. We have a good number Aussie and Kiwi posters on here.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,175

Post#57 » by League Circles » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:30 pm

Yeah I said this was gross simply because I don't want bad blood or beefs to surface. I want to remember the dynasty as positively as possible regardless of anyone's possible legitimate beefs. It's a fairy tale to me.

I also don't particularly remember MJ or the last dance trashing any of those guys unreasonably but I admit I may have selective memory about that. But just like actors doing bad movies, Dwyane Wade coming to the Bulls for big money at the end of his career, onlyfans, etc, sure, keep getting them checks if that's what's best for your family, just don't expect others to dignify or respect it. Once you're rich the bar for respectable behavior gets raised no matter what IMO.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,517

Post#58 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:34 pm

I just dont get this because nothing "new" is going to surface....they're likely just gonna "bash" jordan but we all know he was an **** often, a perfectionist, but that is part of what made him the GOAT...nothing they say will change the way i view the dynasty or jordan
nekorajo
Bench Warmer
And1: 580

Post#59 » by nekorajo » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:42 pm

Who really thinks these guys are going to spend the the majority their tour crapping on MJ? I think they're going tell both good and bad from their perspective. But even if it is a gripe session about MJ and JR, it's their right. They wouldn't be the 1st grumpy old men with grievances or the last.
nekorajo
Bench Warmer
And1: 580

Post#60 » by nekorajo » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:54 pm

Remove MJ from the equation for a moment. If they complain about Jerry Reinsdorf being cheap, how many will disagree? If they complain about JR sacrificing championship opportunities, who will have a problem with that?

Return to Chicago Bulls