Image ImageImage Image

No Bull Tour: Pippen, Grant, Longley to share perspective on The Last Dance

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,052

Re: No Bull Tour: Pippen, Grant, Longley to share perspective on The Last Dance 

Post#81 » by erlim » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:10 am

The sports media has already ran with the narrative of this being a bitter apples tour, and has dunked on Pippen 10,000 times worse than Pippen once dunked on Patrick Ewing. And it’s not like the sports media care to correct themselves or give this any further coverage. Congrats, by Horace’s WWE style **** talk promotion, he’s solidified what a clown show our franchise is, and the club just looks even more ridiculously inept and dysfunctional, its legacy further and irreparably tarnished.

I’m glad Pippen didn’t just talk **** the whole time, but he and Horace Grant are fully dead to NBA fandom regardless. They’ve erased their legacies with their publicity stunt and the actual two hours of warm vibes is an irrelevant swan song.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,691

Post#82 » by Ice Man » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:54 pm

So actually, it is the 100% Bull tour rather than the No Bull tour. A promise of one thing, delivery of another, and the product is nothing but old guys telling basketball stories, of the sort that are all over YouTube, for free.

I mean, I guess it's harmless, but it sure is cheesy.
erlim
Lead Assistant

Post#83 » by erlim » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:32 am

Laughingstock of sports media:

erlim
Lead Assistant

Post#84 » by erlim » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:01 pm

Just wild seeing some of the MJ cult of personality online on social media and with influencers. Like, yes absolutely MJ is the GOAT. But some of the rhetoric that Jordan made his teammates what they are, or that they would be NOTHING without him? Just insane.

Like, Pippen didn't have his own worth ethic or competitive desire to prove himself coming from intense poverty coming in to the league? He didn't have any on court awareness or IQ in how to break down opponents independent of tutelage from Jordan himself? Pip and Jordan pushed one another; steel sharpens steel. They had a tremendous coaching staff coming up through the Dynasty years. How are you going to say Kukoc coming from one of the most respected Basketball teams in Yugoslavia or playing and winning in Italy didn't know anything before Jordan spoon fed him basketball talent?

Christsakes, it's widely reported that Pip gave his time and energy to support teammates, not Jordan. If anything Jordan required Pippen to support incoming players who not ready for the do-or-die atmosphere he put on. Just the idea Jordan 'won by himself' is ridiculous. If he magically gifted players the ability to achieve their ceilings, why didn't he win with Orlando Woolridge who put up 23 ppg, higher than Pippen ever did, in Jordan's rookie season. Why don't we remember Kwame Brown like Tim Duncan?
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#85 » by FriedRise » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:30 pm

Read on Twitter
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,234

Post#86 » by HomoSapien » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:46 pm

FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

The crazy phase of Scottie Pippen seems to have passed. You can tell what stage he is in depending on who he names as the GOAT (usually alternating between MJ, Kobe, and LeBron).
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#87 » by HomoSapien » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:48 pm

"My trainer Chip Schaefer says, 'Three hundred sixty-two days of the year, Scottie Pippen goes along as a model citizen, and everything's working quite well for him, and he's in a great model, but those other two or three days, he can be the downest, darkest person there possibly can be,'" Jackson said.

"You don't know where it came from or what happened, but there's a dark side to him that rarely surfaces. And when it does, it draws attention to itself," he added.

Not sure how recent this quote is, but it's been circulating recently.

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/old-school/phil-jackson-said-there-is-a-dark-side-to-scottie-pippen
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#88 » by HomoSapien » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:06 pm

Went through a Pip worm hole. This is old but I had sort of forgotten about it. Pippen's explanation for why he has distanced himself from the organization.

Hey, Pip…its Pax.

Michael Reinsdorf [Jerry’s son, who runs the franchise] gave me your number. Just want you to know I respected everything about you as a teammate. **** narratives can be told but I rely on my real experiences. Watched you grow from a rook…to a pro. Dont let others, including the media, define you. You are successful and valued and I have always felt lucky to be your teammate.

Was receiving texts from Michael and Paxson only two days apart a coincidence? I think not.

Both were aware of how angry I was about the doc. They were checking in to make sure I wouldn’t cause any trouble: to the Bulls, who still paid Paxson as an adviser; or to Michael’s legacy, always a major concern.

Paxson and I hadn’t gotten along in years. In the summer of 2003, I turned down an offer from the Memphis Grizzlies to sign a two-year contract with the Bulls, where I would be a mentor to young players such as Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, Jamal Crawford, and Kirk Hinrich, while working closely with the coach, Bill Cartwright. I played with Bill from 1988 through 1994. We used to call him Teach. He didn’t say much. When he did say something, he made you think.

“Pip, I want you to help Bill out,” Paxson said, “to sort of be a coach from the sidelines.”

Why not? A new challenge was exactly what I needed. At thirty-eight, my career was winding down. There was a lot I could offer, on and off the court, and I felt confident the experience would pave the way for me to be a coach myself one day, perhaps with the Bulls.

It didn’t quite work out that way. Bill was fired after 14 games, replaced by Scott Skiles.

I played in only 23 games before retiring in October of 2004. My body was shot after seventeen years in the league—more like nineteen and a half years, if you count the 208 playoff games. Paxson felt I had let him, and the franchise, down. Which might explain why, after my career was over, he didn’t seek my opinion about personnel matters even though he knew how much I wanted to have a say in the team’s future.

In 2010, when I was finally put on the Bulls’ payroll, I was nothing more than a mascot, trotted out a few times every year for “appearances.” I signed autographs and met with season-ticket holders, hired for mainly one purpose, to serve as a link to the glory days.

At last, in early 2014, it appeared I would play a more meaningful role. The Bulls sent me to about a dozen college games to do some scouting. One of the trips was to Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, North Carolina, to see No. 5 Duke host No. 1 Syracuse. I had watched many Duke games on TV. What a scene it was: the students, their faces painted in blue, standing up the whole game to root for their beloved Blue Devils and rattle their poor opponents.

Duke, led by freshman forward Jabari Parker, defeated Syracuse, 66–60.

I couldn’t believe how loud it was. Louder even than Chicago Stadium, where we played for many years. I was excited to be involved with the basketball operations. For the Bulls to benefit from my expertise instead of exploiting my name.

After filing the scouting reports, I waited to hear back from Paxson and other members of the organization. What would they want me to do next?

I didn’t hear a word.

Nor did the Bulls invite me to any meetings or workouts with prospects in the weeks leading up to the 2014 NBA draft. It dawned on me they’d been humoring me from the start.

On May 22, 2020, the day after Paxson sent his text, the two of us spoke for a few minutes over the phone. He got right to the point:

“Pip, I hated how things turned out when you came back to Chicago. This organization has always treated you poorly, and I want you to know that I think it’s not right.”

I was glad to hear Paxson admit a wrong I had known forever. Which didn’t mean I was willing to forgive him. If that, indeed, was what he was looking for. It was too late for that.

“John,” I said, “that is all fine and dandy, but you worked in the front office for the Bulls for almost twenty years. You had a chance to change that and you didn’t.”

He began to cry. Not knowing how to respond, I waited for him to stop. Why he was crying, I couldn’t be sure, and honestly, I didn’t care.

Before long, our chat was, mercifully, over.

https://www.gq.com/story/scottie-pippen-unguarded-book-excerpt
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#89 » by FriedRise » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:03 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

The crazy phase of Scottie Pippen seems to have passed. You can tell what stage he is in depending on who he names as the GOAT (usually alternating between MJ, Kobe, and LeBron).

He must've been pretty happy after Marcus and Larsa broke up.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,982

Post#90 » by NZB2323 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:51 pm

erlim wrote:Just wild seeing some of the MJ cult of personality online on social media and with influencers. Like, yes absolutely MJ is the GOAT. But some of the rhetoric that Jordan made his teammates what they are, or that they would be NOTHING without him? Just insane.

Like, Pippen didn't have his own worth ethic or competitive desire to prove himself coming from intense poverty coming in to the league? He didn't have any on court awareness or IQ in how to break down opponents independent of tutelage from Jordan himself? Pip and Jordan pushed one another; steel sharpens steel. They had a tremendous coaching staff coming up through the Dynasty years. How are you going to say Kukoc coming from one of the most respected Basketball teams in Yugoslavia or playing and winning in Italy didn't know anything before Jordan spoon fed him basketball talent?

Christsakes, it's widely reported that Pip gave his time and energy to support teammates, not Jordan. If anything Jordan required Pippen to support incoming players who not ready for the do-or-die atmosphere he put on. Just the idea Jordan 'won by himself' is ridiculous. If he magically gifted players the ability to achieve their ceilings, why didn't he win with Orlando Woolridge who put up 23 ppg, higher than Pippen ever did, in Jordan's rookie season. Why don't we remember Kwame Brown like Tim Duncan?

It's strange that in one post you say that Pippen erased his legacy, and then you make this large post defending Pippen's legacy and have Pippen as a legend in your signature block.

No matter what Pippen does for money now, he'll always be a Hall of Famer, original dream team member, 6x NBA champion. And yeah, his legacy does tend to get diminished by the cult of Jordan, but on the other hand, the cult of Lebron props up Pippen as the only reason Jordan was able to win a playoff series.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 4,020

Post#91 » by bledredwine » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:31 am

erlim wrote:Just wild seeing some of the MJ cult of personality online on social media and with influencers. Like, yes absolutely MJ is the GOAT. But some of the rhetoric that Jordan made his teammates what they are, or that they would be NOTHING without him? Just insane.

Dude, I see the point you’re trying to make, but Pippen himself stated that he wouldn’t have become the same player without MJ having him guard him constantly in practice. Jordan’s influence on the team is testified to by players. Regardless of he was nice or not, you better believe that Jordan’s impact in practice translated to wins. No way do they three peat twice otherwise.

They never lost three in a row from like 1990 to 1998 when Jordan was a member of the squad. .
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
erlim
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by erlim » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:39 am

bledredwine wrote:

Dude, I see the point you’re trying to make, but Pippen himself stated that he wouldn’t have become the same player without MJ having him guard him constantly in practice. Jordan’s influence on the team is testified to by players. Regardless of he was nice or not, you better believe that Jordan’s impact in practice translated to wins. No way do they three peat twice otherwise.

They never lost three in a row from like 1990 to 1998 when Jordan was a member of the squad. .

No I agree with you 100%, they pushed one another to new heights like they both have said. Of course Jordan was the main component of our dynasty, there is absolutely no debate.

My issue is with people saying Pippen was a Killian Hayes level player that Jordan made into a star himself. Like the second three peat had three other HOF'ers that all had careers and achievements outside Jordan. Pippen may have had his career most closely aligned with Jordan out of he, Kukoc, and Rodman; but to pretend he would just be out of the league without Jordan is pretty rough.
erlim
Lead Assistant

Post#93 » by erlim » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:58 am

NZB2323 wrote:

It's strange that in one post you say that Pippen erased his legacy, and then you make this large post defending Pippen's legacy and have Pippen as a legend in your signature block.

No matter what Pippen does for money now, he'll always be a Hall of Famer, original dream team member, 6x NBA champion. And yeah, his legacy does tend to get diminished by the cult of Jordan, but on the other hand, the cult of Lebron props up Pippen as the only reason Jordan was able to win a playoff series.

I agree in that Pippen is a deservingly a top 50 player of all time, but his aloof interactions with media earning their ire is greatly overshadowing his accomplishments and sullying his reputation. Like it's not like the Heat or the Lakers where their old players are constantly available on broadcasts or podcasts repeatedly reestablishing their legacy. You go anywhere on the net, his legacy is

1.) Migraine
2.) Sitting and quitting at 1.8 Seconds
3.) Delayed surgery before 1998 season
4.) Blazers 2000 WCF game 7 against Lakers
5.) Larissa Pippen

And it's the most cherry-picked and histrionic thing.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 4,020

Post#94 » by bledredwine » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:11 pm

erlim wrote:
bledredwine wrote:

No I agree with you 100%, they pushed one another to new heights like they both have said. Of course Jordan was the main component of our dynasty, there is absolutely no debate.

My issue is with people saying Pippen was a Killian Hayes level player that Jordan made into a star himself. Like the second three peat had three other HOF'ers that all had careers and achievements outside Jordan. Pippen may have had his career most closely aligned with Jordan out of he, Kukoc, and Rodman; but to pretend he would just be out of the league without Jordan is pretty rough.

Oh yeah, I'm with you. That's ridiculous. Pippen's physical gifts and tenacity alone should negate any claim that
he wouldn't be a special player.

It really is cool how similar Jordan and Pippen were in their defensive mentality and competitiveness- perfect compliments.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
erlim
Lead Assistant

Post#95 » by erlim » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:39 pm

I am getting overwhelmed with youtube algorithm recommendations like this:

Pippen is going to be known as a hapless loser because nobody took the time to review the contents of the tour. Look at the comments in that video. He will forever be remembered as a useless scrub. The video literally brands him as “scrub.”
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,982

Post#96 » by NZB2323 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:36 pm

erlim wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:

I agree in that Pippen is a deservingly a top 50 player of all time, but his aloof interactions with media earning their ire is greatly overshadowing his accomplishments and sullying his reputation. Like it's not like the Heat or the Lakers where their old players are constantly available on broadcasts or podcasts repeatedly reestablishing their legacy. You go anywhere on the net, his legacy is

1.) Migraine
5.) Larissa Pippen

His legacy is also 6x NBA champion, and that’s the thing he’s most known for.
ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 977

Post#97 » by ScrantonBulls » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:11 am

erlim wrote:I am getting overwhelmed with youtube algorithm recommendations like this:

Pippen is going to be known as a hapless loser because nobody took the time to review the contents of the tour. Look at the comments in that video. He will forever be remembered as a useless scrub. The video literally brands him as “scrub.”

That is not how Pippen will be remembered. The video you quoted is made by a complete joke of a content creator. He is like Skip Bayless on steroids. The youtube equivalent of a shock jock. That guy appeals to the absolute dumbest of the dumb NBA fans. Just look at his videos. They are made for the ultra low IQ Kobe and MJ fanboys (NOT true Bulls fans). I can't believe that guy gets as many views as he does.
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,319

Post#98 » by Mbrahv0528 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:08 am

erlim wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:

1.) Migraine
5.) Larissa Pippen

This is hilariously false. Who are you trying to sway here on the Bulls board? We know this is nonsense friend?

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#99 » by HomoSapien » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:12 am

I don't think his reputation is tarnished. I think most people recognize him as an all-time great player but also recognize him as a guy who is harming his own reputation of late. That doesn't erase Pippen the basketball player, but it is erasing Pippen the ambassador of the game.
erlim
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by erlim » Fri Mar 1, 2024 9:02 am

Mbrahv0528 wrote:
erlim wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:

1.) Migraine
5.) Larissa Pippen

This is hilariously false. Who are you trying to sway here on the Bulls board? We know this is nonsense friend?

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app

I don't think that obviously, I lived through the 90s in Chicago. But this does seem to be the popular discourse today.

Return to Chicago Bulls