Image ImageImage Image

Patrick Williams next deal discussion with poll

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

How much do you think PWill averages over his next deal?

$20M+
1%
$15M - $20M
29%
$12M - $15M (MLE is $12.3M, QO is $12.9M)
44%
Less than $12M
26%

Total votes: 82

TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,895

Re: Patrick Williams next deal discussion with poll 

Post#181 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:14 pm

6'8" guys who can play small forward, hit a 3, and defend the position are valued for a reason.

But Williams just such a lame version of that archetype. He seems like a bad culture guy too with his motor.
greenl
Starter
And1: 1,520

Post#182 » by greenl » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
coldfish wrote:
greenl wrote:I'd be fine if they moved on from Pat. His presence doesn't have a material impact on the outcome of most games he plays in. He's the archetypal "just a guy".

On one hand, he had a few nice games this year and showed flashes of having more skills than he has shown. OTOH, he has been injured a lot and disappears frequently. He might be a classic case of "fool's gold".

IMO, the Bulls really don't want to give him a contract that isn't movable. I think he is worth a flyer at slightly more than the MLE but no way would I tie up 4/100 with him. If he walks, he walks. The Bulls have a hard cap at the LT barrier. They can't use up significant portions on that for players who aren't contributing if they want to win.

Pretty much every player has a few games like that per season and it usually doesn't mean future sustainable play at that level, it's usually just a flash in the pan. 80%+ of Pat's career to this point has been quiet and generally unimpactful.

If it's me I move on, preferably in the form of a trade.

Amen to this point. All mediocre players flash- that's what makes them mediocre- they can only flash occasionally. Being good to great means you're consistently good/great. Pat flashes- then disappears- then flashes- then disappears- the definition of average player. Calling Pat average might be a bit of a stretch.
"Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children." - Bill Hicks
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,384

Post#183 » by drosestruts » Yesterday 2:52 pm

The season ending injury is such a bummer for Pat and our ability to properly evaluate him.

Looking back on the season - the majority of the team started poorly - not just Pat.

I'll forever remember that first loss to Detroit. Zach put up 50 points. Coby AND Pat both started and scored 0 points combined. People somehow blamed that loss on Zach, which is a different discussion but is just so wild to me.

Then December rolled around and in 14 games that month Williams played in every game, scored 15 points per game with a TS% of 62.5% and was a +3.25 per game.

He was scoring efficiently with increased volume and the Bulls were winning the minutes he played on the court. He provided his usual good defense - 24 STOCKS in 14 games.

Then the injury happened. He played off/on for half a month - rather poorly, then shut it down for the year.

The hard thing to determine is - was it a fluke month or was Williams finally breaking through?
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,123

Post#184 » by MrSparkle » Yesterday 2:59 pm

I think there's a reason Billy kept starting and playing Patrick (beyond management wanting desperately for their #4 pick to pan out). He can defend and (spot-up) shoot at a very competent level, and once in a blue moon he demonstrates a bit more.

It'll be tricky to resign him, but ... If the idea to get under the cap is letting Patrick walk (to resign Demar, figure out Zach, keep Vuc), then it will be absolutely infuriating if Pat leaves and starts playing even remotely well (Wendell), let alone very well (Lauri - not likely, but somewhere in between the two). As it stands, we all have reason to doubt this FO's competency at projecting forward.

Whatever the low odds are of Pat improving into an excellent player, I'd pick them over trucking forward with the Demar/Vuc concept.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,735

Post#185 » by DuckIII » Yesterday 5:49 pm

What we all need to hope for is a reasonable two year deal with a team (or player) option in year 3. We are so FUBAR we have to make sure we don’t lose Pat for virtually nothing. Of the players on the roster, whether you like it or not, he’s the only one capable of making a huge step forward to change our pathetic fate.

Yes, that’s how bad it is.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,172

Post#186 » by League Circles » Yesterday 6:11 pm

It's imperative that we create some room for Patrick to get some minutes at the 3 IMO. He's not a full time 4, at least not next to Vuc.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,672

Post#187 » by Ice Man » Yesterday 6:23 pm

League Circles wrote:It's imperative that we create some room for Patrick to get some minutes at the 3 IMO. He's not a full time 4, at least not next to Vuc.

He would struggle to keep a quick SF in front of him. That said, sure it could work with the right lineup and team defensive arrangement. I mean, he's not slower than Mike Dunleavy was at the #3 spot, and that worked out pretty well for us.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,931

Post#188 » by ChettheJet » Yesterday 6:34 pm

drosestruts wrote:The season ending injury is such a bummer for Pat and our ability to properly evaluate him.

Looking back on the season - the majority of the team started poorly - not just Pat.

I'll forever remember that first loss to Detroit. Zach put up 50 points. Coby AND Pat both started and scored 0 points combined. People somehow blamed that loss on Zach, which is a different discussion but is just so wild to me.

Then December rolled around and in 14 games that month Williams played in every game, scored 15 points per game with a TS% of 62.5% and was a +3.25 per game.

He was scoring efficiently with increased volume and the Bulls were winning the minutes he played on the court. He provided his usual good defense - 24 STOCKS in 14 games.

Then the injury happened. He played off/on for half a month - rather poorly, then shut it down for the year.

The hard thing to determine is - was it a fluke month or was Williams finally breaking through?

First Zach getting blamed for getting 50 points in the loss to DET. The reason Zach takes the blame for that early season loss is the Bulls' improved record after the 5-14 start. When they moved the ball in the offense found the open shooter, played defense they turned their record from that start around and played over .500 ball after that. Instead of Zach or Demar just pumping in a 50 piece, healthy Patrick scored about the 10ppg he did, Coby was a contender for MIP and they got to the play in instead of folding towards a top 5 pick. They rarely had the other 3 starters or next 4 bench guys go scoreless. The record showed which way was better.

Making the qualifying offer and resigning Patrick is where analytics can't be what the judgement is based on. He's been hurt, he's started, he's come off the bench, he's done virtually all of that from the 4 position and always brought defense. Many if not most people believe that with his low volume 3 pt% and his defense he's at least a 3 and D guy, or even open the bag and let him be more. So the decision to resign/extend him is, do you have the desire to play him at the 3?

The Bulls have to to base that on what AK, ME, Billy, Pax, Collins and the assistant coaches have seen with their own eyes from him on the floor. How does he move, how good is his ball handling, his shot, does he know the plays, what part does he play in half court defense, does he get back to stop the break. Throw out, PER, his numbers in any category and stats stats stats, too many stretches of missed games. As basketball people they have that discussion and everybody offers their opinion and since Karnasovas has the high title on the organization chart, he has to make the final call which has at least three parts. Do they keep him, how much is he worth coming off then bench, do they have a starting SF spot for him, does that mean Demar goes or becomes the SG, does Lavine stay or go, who is the PF they bring in to start and how do they get him?
League Circles
RealGM

Post#189 » by League Circles » Yesterday 7:11 pm

Ice Man wrote:
League Circles wrote:It's imperative that we create some room for Patrick to get some minutes at the 3 IMO. He's not a full time 4, at least not next to Vuc.

He would struggle to keep a quick SF in front of him. That said, sure it could work with the right lineup and team defensive arrangement. I mean, he's not slower than Mike Dunleavy was at the #3 spot, and that worked out pretty well for us.

I couldn't disagree more. Patrick is a good defender and he's best guarding a 3. Our best at that, IMO. He's a hell of a lot faster than Demar, I know that.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,895

Post#190 » by TheSuzerain » Yesterday 10:26 pm

DuckIII wrote:What we all need to hope for is a reasonable two year deal with a team (or player) option in year 3. We are so FUBAR we have to make sure we don’t lose Pat for virtually nothing. Of the players on the roster, whether you like it or not, he’s the only one capable of making a huge step forward to change our pathetic fate.

No player option in a million years
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,735

Post#191 » by DuckIII » Today 1:45 am

TheSuzerain wrote:
DuckIII wrote:What we all need to hope for is a reasonable two year deal with a team (or player) option in year 3. We are so FUBAR we have to make sure we don’t lose Pat for virtually nothing. Of the players on the roster, whether you like it or not, he’s the only one capable of making a huge step forward to change our pathetic fate.

Hyperbolic. If a third year player option gets a value deal rather than a QO or an outside overpay, it’s not a significant downside.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#192 » by League Circles » Today 1:59 am

DuckIII wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:

Hyperbolic. If a third year player option gets a value deal rather than a QO or an outside overpay, it’s not a significant downside.

Yeah, there's a price to mitigate everything, option and years-wise IMO.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,671

Post#193 » by sco » Today 1:17 pm

League Circles wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:No player option in a million years

Yeah, there's a price to mitigate everything, option and years-wise IMO.

I think anything under 3/$50 is fine. The foot injury is a double-edged sword. It cut his opportunity to show his progress this season and is a bit of a risk going into next season unless it is 100% healed (but that's impossible to know). It is also hard to imagine some team breaking the bank for him (i.e. paying more than the MLE). Using the Coby script and just threatening to match, while offering 3/$40'ish would work for me.

I have trouble separating his underperforming his pick with the fact that he's a good 3-D player (with a little upside). I think he'd thrive if we went with a defensive C and got an offensively capable PF, and then slot him in at the 3.
:clap:
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,720

Post#194 » by madvillian » Today 5:27 pm

At this point you have to separate the past, his draft status, mediocre play and project forward. Chicago cannot afford to lose a decent 3 and D guy regardless of how he's panned out relative to expectations.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.

Return to Chicago Bulls