Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024 3.0

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,811

Re: Bears 2024 3.0 

Post#1921 » by Jcool0 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:49 pm

Read on Twitter
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,697

Post#1922 » by nitetrain8603 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:49 pm

molepharmer wrote:Mariota signs with Commanders, 1/$10mil. Not sure I understand why because they have S Howell and are expected to draft a QB. Seems a bit pricey just for some 3rd string vet.

Or they might trade down if the Bears flat out told them, trade for #1 ain't happenin
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,506

Post#1923 » by fleet » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:49 pm

patryk7754 wrote:
chitownsports4ever wrote:
fleet wrote:That’s what it boils down to. If Fields was Poles’ quarterback, he would say so, and save Justin all this drama. There’s no strategic payoff that is believable. Last season being exhibit A.

It would be if you ignored everything the man says

from the end of the season presser

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/poles-staying-open-minded-about-no-1-pick-in-draft-2024-quarterback-justin-fields

"I've got to stay open-minded about it," Poles said. "Not to use the same quote, but when I say, 'I need to be blown away,' it's the same setup because seeing the things that Justin did this year, his ability to make plays … keeping his eyes down the field, taking less sacks, you see a lot of growth there where he can continue to get better. So I'll have the same mindset."

Poles revealed that the Bears are in "information gathering mode right now."

"We are going to turn every stone to make sure that we are going to make a sound decision for our organization," Poles said. "I did think Justin got better. I think he can lead this team. But at the same time, there is a unique situation. I have to look and our staff has to look at everything, and that's exactly what we're going to do."

Poles was asked if he'll allow the unwavering belief that Bears teammates have in Fields influence the GM's decision concerning the quarterback position.

"I have to separate it a little bit, but I absolutely love it," Poles said. "I mean, when you talk about building a team, I want that type of support in the locker room. I want those guys, when they go take the field, I want them to believe in the player that they have at that quarterback position. I want them to believe in the person to the right and to the left, so I absolutely love that. With any decision, I've got to take the emotion out of it and look at the whole deal there."

Poles understands that his evaluation of quarterbacks in the draft must extend beyond how they perform on the field.

"The person; that's the biggest part," he said. "I've got a lot of confidence in our ability to see talent on the field. The human being we've got to figure out, especially to be a quarterback in this city. You've got to have it right. You've got to have toughness to you. You've got to have mental toughness. You've got to be able to block things out."

Asked if the No. 1 pick is for sale, Poles said: "Again, I'm wide open to anything. If somebody wants to call me with an idea, that's fine. I'm open to it."

While Poles was motivated to deal the No. 1 selection in March last year, he plans to hold onto the 2024 top choice a little bit longer, telling reporters: "In my mind right now, I'm going to take this all the way to April."

I think it's a pointless conversation. People will let their bias (regardless of what position they hold) influence what or how they read things. People are questioning why Fields hasn't been trade, then are report comes that Poles hasn't been really shopping him and all of sudden they are just saving face. Or you can look at like I do and see it as evidence that the Bears aren't leaning towards trading him.

Some people want him gone and everything they will read will confirm he's gone and vice versa

Ive asked before not talk down to other users and be respectful, and return the respect that has been given. If you’re unable to handle the request, you should not participate in this conversation. That is a strong suggestion, because you have not been willing to this point, and this is the end of that road.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Bulls69
Head Coach
And1: 416

Post#1924 » by Bulls69 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:51 pm

patryk7754 wrote:
Bulls69 wrote:
fleet wrote:That’s what it boils down to. If Fields was Poles’ quarterback, he would say so, and save Justin all this drama. There’s no strategic payoff that is believable. Last season being exhibit A.

I disagree Poles was doing his due diligence in which he said before the start of free agency.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

A lot of people took Poles saying "IF" as Fields is definitely gone. Like you said, Poles has been consistent in one thing, he'll do his due diligence before making a decision. Logically, you cant fully cover all your bases until you meet with Williams at his pro day

Exactly Poles said he would do right by him we as a base still have to wait it out but I never believed Poles was planning on trading Fields unless one of those rookie Quarterbacks blew him away. I don’t see it happening unless Caleb at his pro day blew his Poles socks off and he interviewed well with Poles.

Knicksgod wrote: I know LeBron won't go to Chicago. There could be another surprise team, but if he leaves Cleveland, then teaming with Bosh and Gallo in NYC is a likely scenario.
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,622

Post#1925 » by Betta Bulleavit » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:51 pm

fleet wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:.

So if I understand correctly, you believe the Bears want to keep Justin, but refuse to say that they're going to keep him?

That’s what it boils down to. If Fields was Poles’ quarterback, he would say so, and save Justin all this drama. There’s no strategic payoff that is believable. Last season being exhibit A.

It would be if you ignored everything the man says

from the end of the season presser

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/poles-staying-open-minded-about-no-1-pick-in-draft-2024-quarterback-justin-fields

"I've got to stay open-minded about it," Poles said. "Not to use the same quote, but when I say, 'I need to be blown away,' it's the same setup because seeing the things that Justin did this year, his ability to make plays … keeping his eyes down the field, taking less sacks, you see a lot of growth there where he can continue to get better. So I'll have the same mindset."

Poles revealed that the Bears are in "information gathering mode right now."

"We are going to turn every stone to make sure that we are going to make a sound decision for our organization," Poles said. "I did think Justin got better. I think he can lead this team. But at the same time, there is a unique situation. I have to look and our staff has to look at everything, and that's exactly what we're going to do."

Poles was asked if he'll allow the unwavering belief that Bears teammates have in Fields influence the GM's decision concerning the quarterback position.

"I have to separate it a little bit, but I absolutely love it," Poles said. "I mean, when you talk about building a team, I want that type of support in the locker room. I want those guys, when they go take the field, I want them to believe in the player that they have at that quarterback position. I want them to believe in the person to the right and to the left, so I absolutely love that. With any decision, I've got to take the emotion out of it and look at the whole deal there."

Poles understands that his evaluation of quarterbacks in the draft must extend beyond how they perform on the field.

"The person; that's the biggest part," he said. "I've got a lot of confidence in our ability to see talent on the field. The human being we've got to figure out, especially to be a quarterback in this city. You've got to have it right. You've got to have toughness to you. You've got to have mental toughness. You've got to be able to block things out."

Asked if the No. 1 pick is for sale, Poles said: "Again, I'm wide open to anything. If somebody wants to call me with an idea, that's fine. I'm open to it."

While Poles was motivated to deal the No. 1 selection in March last year, he plans to hold onto the 2024 top choice a little bit longer, telling reporters: "In my mind right now, I'm going to take this all the way to April."

Unfortunately, this conversation has proven to be quite fruitless. Even though you are posting with a ton of logic, it’s not going to penetrate those that have put on their positional armor. They will always have a reason as to why they’re right and you’re wrong. Slowly but surely, I’m giving up the debate because it’s causing me to focus more on one player than just trying to root for the team that I’ve loved for 38 years of my life. In short, this debate is starting to suck the fandom out of me and I just don’t want that.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Post#1926 » by patryk7754 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:52 pm

Questions in PM only. ~ fleet
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,452

Post#1927 » by jnrjr79 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:52 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
My opinion backed by Poles comments is at the combine as well as he end of the season presser but what is your opinion backed by recent reports but not one actual quote from anyone within the Bears organization but take is crazy

I dont know what the Bears want to do all I can say that if I go by what they SAY and WHAT THEY DO it sure as heck hasnt been established at this point to be moving on from Fields.

Poles said at his presser that he would have to be wowed by a player to move on from Fields

Poles said at the combine that IF he were to decide to draft a QB #1 and Fields would be traded that he would move him quickly so precisely this time uncertainty would be avoided . But you follow some reporters and they are never wrong so at this point I should simply ignore all of that.

I mean, yes, if on the one hand you have all of the well-connected news-breaker types saying one thing and an NFL GM (whose interest is in improving the team, not being candid) saying another, you should believe the news-breakers and not the GM.

Adam Schefter is reporting today that the Bears have been unable to move Fields because no NFL team with a starting QB slot available wants him and that all interested teams view him only as a backup. This seems more likely to be the reason Fields hasn't been traded.

Thats not what the question is ...

Who cares if they view him as backup or not its not our problem if we are moving on unless you are now saying hat Poles plan is to hold onto Fields until other teams change their minds ? You even know that doesnt make any sense .

We didnt care if Miami wanted to start Claypool or not we are moving on give us something for him and take him we are out so if we have identified Williams ,Daniels ,or Maye as for sure what we will come out of the draft with we would not care what opposing wanted to do with him

Schefter did not say no one would trade for Fields he said that what other teams view him as but it100% has no impact on our desire and willingness to move on from him and if you are not trading him you really dont care what other teams view him as. Its the NFL there are of lots of players who start for Team A while team B would say they dont view him as a starter.

Your position is that the draft compensation being offered for Fields is irrelevant to the timing of a Fields trade? That's an interesting take!
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#1928 » by nitetrain8603 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:55 pm

You have to respect that Poles is clear on one thing, he's not going to budge under public pressure. He has his number in mind for all players, and he doesn't surpass it. And the Bears are in a better place for it. I mean, last year, we thought that OL that went to the Broncos was going to be here, and it came down to, "this is the offer, take it or leave it".

Whether it's eventually keeping Fields, splurging on Mr Swift, or trading for a G and trying to disguise him as a starting C, Poles has built enough leeway from me.

In Poles We Trust
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,452

Post#1929 » by jnrjr79 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:56 pm

Bulls69 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
My opinion backed by Poles comments is at the combine as well as he end of the season presser but what is your opinion backed by recent reports but not one actual quote from anyone within the Bears organization but take is crazy

I dont know what the Bears want to do all I can say that if I go by what they SAY and WHAT THEY DO it sure as heck hasnt been established at this point to be moving on from Fields.

Poles said at his presser that he would have to be wowed by a player to move on from Fields

Poles said at the combine that IF he were to decide to draft a QB #1 and Fields would be traded that he would move him quickly so precisely this time uncertainty would be avoided . But you follow some reporters and they are never wrong so at this point I should simply ignore all of that.

I mean, yes, if on the one hand you have all of the well-connected news-breaker types saying one thing and an NFL GM (whose interest is in improving the team, not being candid) saying another, you should believe the news-breakers and not the GM.

Adam Schefter is reporting today that the Bears have been unable to move Fields because no NFL team with a starting QB slot available wants him and that all interested teams view him only as a backup. This seems more likely to be the reason Fields hasn't been traded.

Please show me where Adam said that.

LMGTFY:

Read on Twitter
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,945

Post#1930 » by Dresden » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:57 pm

Brad Biggs today in his column quoted Poles as saying "free agency is dangerous waters", so it shouldn't be too surprising that the Bears have not done more yet. Last year we had a ton of cap money and really only made one big signing with it. So this just appears to be Poles/Bears style- they are only going to spend when they feel the deal makes perfect sense for them, and they aren't going to overpay even if it's a position of need.
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,622

Post#1931 » by Betta Bulleavit » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:57 pm

this is not an invitation to continue. Questions in PM only ~ fleet
Bulls69
Head Coach
And1: 416

Post#1932 » by Bulls69 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:57 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:You have to respect that Poles is clear on one thing, he's not going to budge under public pressure. He has his number in mind for all players, and he doesn't surpass it. And the Bears are in a better place for it. I mean, last year, we thought that OL that went to the Broncos was going to be here, and it came down to, "this is the offer, take it or leave it".

Whether it's eventually keeping Fields, splurging on Mr Swift, or trading for a G and trying to disguise him as a starting C, Poles has built enough leeway from me.

In Poles We Trust

He said at his earlier press conference he was going off social media until May the media especially the Chicago media is not going to dictate what he does.

Knicksgod wrote: I know LeBron won't go to Chicago. There could be another surprise team, but if he leaves Cleveland, then teaming with Bosh and Gallo in NYC is a likely scenario.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,313

Post#1933 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:02 pm

panthermark wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
CROBulls wrote:Bears need now two WR's signings. Draft or FA doesnt matter. Team is shallow already on offensive weapons. If Caleb is here tommorow he has less options to throw than Fields had.

If this team continues doing nothing, what’s stopping Caleb from just saying “nah I’m good, don’t draft me”. Maybe he wanted to wait until the 20th to see how their free agency went.

When Caleb was asked what questions he had for the Bears when they meet, his response was “Do you want to win”. I don’t think he was complimenting himself as adding him would equal winning, I think he was actually wondering if the franchise is committed to winning.

I would hope not.
If so, dude can F off.
But I'm pretty sure he was referencing himself in terms of his leadership style.

Holding the franchise to a standard of winning would be an incredible positive for anyone coming in.

I’ve been saying for months, if Caleb to Chicago doesn’t happen, it’ll be because Caleb doesn’t want it, not the other way around.

March 20th will be telling.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,919

Post#1934 » by biggestbullsfan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Also, makes them more likely to draft a WR :oops:
othawhitemeat
Veteran
And1: 761

Post#1935 » by othawhitemeat » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:06 pm

patryk7754 wrote:
Bulls69 wrote:

I disagree Poles was doing his due diligence in which he said before the start of free agency.

A lot of people took Poles saying "IF" as Fields is definitely gone. Like you said, Poles has been consistent in one thing, he'll do his due diligence before making a decision. Logically, you cant fully cover all your bases until you meet with Williams at his pro day

At some point, GM's have to make timely decisions. He needs to speed it up a tad.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,313

Post#1936 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:06 pm

Giants signing Lock.

All the backup QB spots are filling, lol.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#1937 » by patryk7754 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:06 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Idk if it makes them likely to draft a WR. I think it's 50/50 between OL and WR. They desperately need both.
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#1938 » by nitetrain8603 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:06 pm

Dresden wrote:Brad Biggs today in his column quoted Poles as saying "free agency is dangerous waters", so it shouldn't be too surprising that the Bears have not done more yet. Last year we had a ton of cap money and really only made one big signing with it. So this just appears to be Poles/Bears style- they are only going to spend when they feel the deal makes perfect sense for them, and they aren't going to overpay even if it's a position of need.

And due to that, their cap will always be in a good place. They'll be able to absorb mistakes and consistently add an impact player onto the roster vs having to cut half of the team, skip some years in FA, and depend on 7th rounders consistently. I think he's done a masterful job at asset management for the team so far except for Claypool (I never liked giving up a 2nd for him, and that's without hindsight, though I understood the move).

JF is an incomplete. He may keep him. He may start him. Or we might hear on draft day that one of these teams that drafted a tier 3 QB just traded a 3rd for JF to bridge the gap.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#1939 » by patryk7754 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:08 pm

othawhitemeat wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:
Bulls69 wrote:I disagree Poles was doing his due diligence in which he said before the start of free agency.

At some point, GM's have to make timely decisions. He needs to speed it up a tad.

don't disagree. But my point is, if he plans on keeping Fields (unless he's blown away by an offer), it seems like he's right on track.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,919

Post#1940 » by biggestbullsfan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:12 pm

patryk7754 wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Idk if it makes them likely to draft a WR. I think it's 50/50 between OL and WR. They desperately need both.

Honestly they also need a QB. But they have so many holes, drafting one doesn’t make too much sense. Unless they want him to sit and develop.

Return to Chicago Bulls