Image ImageImage Image

DeMar DeRozan Leads the NBA in MPG

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Re: DeMar DeRozan Leads the NBA in MPG 

Post#21 » by drosestruts » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:15 am

I am also very curious how DeMar is "clearly declining" - what games are you all watching?
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,421

Post#22 » by fleet » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:32 am

HomoSapien wrote:I feel like this has completely flown under the radar. A 34-year-old veteran is leading the league in MPG. I think we all wish we had a true franchise player in DeRozan's place, but I also think we don't appreciate him enough. There is a lot of talk about how his game is old-school, but he's also old-school in the best of ways. The man is a consummate professional. At this age, he still puts in the off-season work. He doesn't sit out. He loves taking younger players under his wing. He has arguably the most artistically beautiful footwork/mid-range game in the entire league, at times has been shakey but still is tremendous in the clutch. He also loves the game wholeheartedly, which is something that's becoming increasingly more rare.

As a side note, if Thibs was playing this many minutes he would be getting eaten alive. It might be because of the board's apathy, but I haven't seen Billy get criticized for this (Coby is also 7th in MPG).

No problem with it if you’re not too worried about being fresh deep into the playoffs. Let them go. Less MPG is less impactful than days off in my opinion. And mileage, don’t get me started. I think mileage concerns are bulloney. Age is what causes or ameliorates health issues. And genetics.

Thibs compromised by having less strenuous practices iirc. But longer practices doubt. Or was that Skiles?
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#23 » by League Circles » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:34 am

Yes his ironman status and very good play akd leadership are valuable. I think we'll resogn him to a 3 year deal for mo more than 90 mil but probably more like 80 mil. I could see them just continuing his current salary with no raise or pay cut for another 3 years.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,266

Post#24 » by kodo » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:17 am

People didn't like Thibs' minutes because both he & the Bulls were contending and should have been paced for a long PS.
Billy playing the Bulls like 82 is the entire season is perfectly reasonable.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,676

Post#25 » by Dez » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:44 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:
Dez wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
AK should be fired for anything more than 3yrs/$75 million. We should be paying him for past production. He is clearly declining now.

How is he clearly declining?

Scoring and efficiency are down.

His scoring is down marginally because he's given some of the offensive responsibility to Coby, plus Ayo's expanded offensive game has given him more of a role.

His efficiency is slightly down which can be attributed to taking more 3s.

He's not clearly declining.
boozapalooza
Rookie
And1: 656

Post#26 » by boozapalooza » Fri Mar 8, 2024 3:47 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:Well, one thing that’s consistent in Chicago sports, is the obvious greats are worshipped, but the almost-great/good guys tend to be taken for granted. Flaws and shortcomings magnified. You have to remember that Kobe hit the lottery when Odom, Caron and Chucky Atkins were his team… Lebron couldn’t take a green Lonzo, Ingram and Randle into the first round… so Demar’s been kind of unfairly blamed for hogging shots and stunting some… really green, shaky prospects (and carrying a very injured squad).

Demar’s 3 years in Chicago have been nothing short of a generational FA bargain. AK’s Big score amongst the blunders.

Unfortunately the next step (extension) is more complicated.. but so far AK hasn’t given out any egregious extensions, although Zach and Vuc do demonstrate the potential drawbacks of seemingly OK deals. (Though barring setbacks, Zach should be easy to move for a cap dump) I imagine a 120/4 type of deal in the works, and that kinda scares me unless the last 2 years are partially guaranteed.

The way we looked in November and with more season injuries, it was hard holding Demar and not just going for the tank, but honestly glad to see him and the remaining bodies winning +500, instead of getting a 2nd rounder or some other pennies. (Mediocrity of the coming draft, Coby/Ayo jumps made it easier to keep him)

AK should be fired for anything more than 3yrs/$75 million. We should be paying him for past production. He is clearly declining now.

Is he declining now? Hes playing at a pretty elite level. Worth 25-30M per year (at least) if he can keep this up. Seems easy to resign him for 2/3 years and scale back his minutes to a more sustainable level.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#27 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Mar 8, 2024 3:59 am

boozapalooza wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:Well, one thing that’s consistent in Chicago sports, is the obvious greats are worshipped, but the almost-great/good guys tend to be taken for granted. Flaws and shortcomings magnified. You have to remember that Kobe hit the lottery when Odom, Caron and Chucky Atkins were his team… Lebron couldn’t take a green Lonzo, Ingram and Randle into the first round… so Demar’s been kind of unfairly blamed for hogging shots and stunting some… really green, shaky prospects (and carrying a very injured squad).

Demar’s 3 years in Chicago have been nothing short of a generational FA bargain. AK’s Big score amongst the blunders.

Unfortunately the next step (extension) is more complicated.. but so far AK hasn’t given out any egregious extensions, although Zach and Vuc do demonstrate the potential drawbacks of seemingly OK deals. (Though barring setbacks, Zach should be easy to move for a cap dump) I imagine a 120/4 type of deal in the works, and that kinda scares me unless the last 2 years are partially guaranteed.

The way we looked in November and with more season injuries, it was hard holding Demar and not just going for the tank, but honestly glad to see him and the remaining bodies winning +500, instead of getting a 2nd rounder or some other pennies. (Mediocrity of the coming draft, Coby/Ayo jumps made it easier to keep him)

Is he declining now? Hes playing at a pretty elite level. Worth 25-30M per year (at least) if he can keep this up. Seems easy to resign him for 2/3 years and scale back his minutes to a more sustainable level.

I said he was worth 3 years/$75 million. 3 years/$90 million seems like a mistake especially with cheap ownership.

He is shooting 3s at a respectable percentage so that is not the reason his efficiency is declining. He is shooting worse from 2.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#28 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Mar 8, 2024 4:04 am

Dez wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
Dez wrote:
How is he clearly declining?

His scoring is down marginally because he's given some of the offensive responsibility to Coby, plus Ayo's expanded offensive game has given him more of a role.

Nah he was All-NBA with Zach scoring 25 ppg. Ball was significantly better version of this year’s Ayo. So those excuses don’t fly. He is still really good, but definitely declining. I has nothing to do with Coby or Ayo. All athletes decline as you they get older. To claim DeRozan is an outlier is just being in denial. We have definitely seen his best. And it’s fine to admit that.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,676

Post#29 » by Dez » Fri Mar 8, 2024 4:11 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:
Dez wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:

Nah he was All-NBA with Zach scoring 25 ppg. Ball was significantly better version of this year’s Ayo. So those excuses don’t fly. He is still really good, but definitely declining. I has nothing to do with Coby or Ayo. All athletes decline as you they get older. To claim DeRozan is an outlier is just being in denial. We have definitely seen his best. And it’s fine to admit that.

You said clearly declining which just isn't factual, you could argue slightly declining and his numbers are not much different.

You've changed your argument from clearly declining which wasn't true to just him declining in general.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,947
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#30 » by MalagaBulls » Fri Mar 8, 2024 7:07 am

One thing I think could sway me to bringing back Deebo on a 2/60M is if he can elevate his 3 point % to 36/37 at present volume.
He is averaging 3 shots per game and for him that would be a game changer.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#31 » by League Circles » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:40 am

MalagaBulls wrote:One thing I think could sway me to bringing back Deebo on a 2/60M is if he can elevate his 3 point % to 36/37 at present volume.
He is averaging 3 shots per game and for him that would be a game changer.

That would be the difference in making a whopping additional total of 2 three point shots over the course of the entire season. He's already at 35%.
PurpleTrees
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,045

Post#32 » by PurpleTrees » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:29 pm

Demar is going for 35 to 40 mil a season. I dont know where some of you guys are getting 25 mil from. Hes a max player and would be eligible for 4/180. I see him signing a 4/155 deal, giving the Bulls a 25 mil discount over the 4 year term. The Bulls will need to trade Zach for this to happen, or be satisfied with a Demar S/T.

If you guys dont believe me, i guess we'll see this summer.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#33 » by League Circles » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:21 pm

PurpleTrees wrote:Demar is going for 35 to 40 mil a season. I dont know where some of you guys are getting 25 mil from. Hes a max player and would be eligible for 4/180. I see him signing a 4/155 deal, giving the Bulls a 25 mil discount over the 4 year term. The Bulls will need to trade Zach for this to happen, or be satisfied with a Demar S/T.

Who is it that is going to offer him this much? He's making 28.6 this year and he'll be 35 in august.
PurpleTrees
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,045

Post#34 » by PurpleTrees » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:28 pm

League Circles wrote:
PurpleTrees wrote:Demar is going for 35 to 40 mil a season. I dont know where some of you guys are getting 25 mil from. Hes a max player and would be eligible for 4/180. I see him signing a 4/155 deal, giving the Bulls a 25 mil discount over the 4 year term. The Bulls will need to trade Zach for this to happen, or be satisfied with a Demar S/T.

Who is it that is going to offer him this much? He's making 28.6 this year and he'll be 35 in august.

Any NBA team capable of executing a sign and trade.

Demar is getting paid this summer, whether by the Bulls or another team. Some of you guys will just have to accept it.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#35 » by drosestruts » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:40 pm

I see a player who had a slow start to the season (the whole team did for some reason), but I do not see a player in decline.

Several have pointed to his efficiency numbers - there's 19 games left in the season, and his efficiency has been climbing every month. By the end of the year he might be right back in line, or even ahead of, his two previous season.

We have a player leading the league in minutes who's getting better every month of the season, is putting together an All-NBA season.

Those talking about an obvious decline, I just don't feel like we're watching the same thing. I'm genuinley trying to understand your stance here, and I'm just not seeing it. A player in decline due to his age wouldn't be putting up his best stats of the year down the home stretch of the season.

Khris Middleton is what a player in rapid decline looks like to me.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#36 » by League Circles » Fri Mar 8, 2024 4:02 pm

PurpleTrees wrote:
League Circles wrote:

Any NBA team capable of executing a sign and trade.

Demar is getting paid this summer, whether by the Bulls or another team. Some of you guys will just have to accept it.

Well, we can just say no. I think it's unlikely that another team will have roughly 40+ mil. Of salary that we want to take back.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,084

Post#37 » by MrSparkle » Fri Mar 8, 2024 4:05 pm

I also think we're deluding ourselves if we think Demar resigns for anything less than a short max (1-2y) or a $120M/4 style deal. Not only is he proving his on-court value, he's also boosting his stock as a locker-room leader and mentor.

Someone explain to me why Detroit, for example, doesn't offer Demar a max contract? All it takes is one desperate team, and they are obviously tired of losing.

I am pretty concerned about such a deal, but at the same time, I don't know what else you do. Letting Demar walk and resigning Pat to more money makes my stomach churn.
2weekswithpay
Starter
And1: 1,355

Post#38 » by 2weekswithpay » Fri Mar 8, 2024 4:45 pm

MrSparkle wrote:I also think we're deluding ourselves if we think Demar resigns for anything less than a short max (1-2y) or a $120M/4 style deal. Not only is he proving his on-court value, he's also boosting his stock as a locker-room leader and mentor.

Someone explain to me why Detroit, for example, doesn't offer Demar a max contract? All it takes is one desperate team, and they are obviously tired of losing.

I am pretty concerned about such a deal, but at the same time, I don't know what else you do. Letting Demar walk and resigning Pat to more money makes my stomach churn.

Detroit needs shooting, they cannot afford to put another non-3pt threat next to Cade, Duren, and Thompson. The worst thing a bad team can do is overpay for a 35 year old who may continue to decline and is a questionable fit.

If somebody wants to pay Demar that much then let him walk.
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,315

Post#39 » by Mbrahv0528 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 4:46 pm

Your post is not based in reality my friend. Nobody is paying Demar that kind of money at his age.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,084

Post#40 » by MrSparkle » Fri Mar 8, 2024 4:57 pm

2weekswithpay wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:I also think we're deluding ourselves if we think Demar resigns for anything less than a short max (1-2y) or a $120M/4 style deal. Not only is he proving his on-court value, he's also boosting his stock as a locker-room leader and mentor.

Detroit needs shooting, they cannot afford to put another non-3pt threat next to Cade, Duren, and Thompson. The worst thing a bad team can do is overpay for a 35 year old who may continue to decline and is a questionable fit.

If somebody wants to pay Demar that much then let him walk.

That's fair, but no doubt it would be another blow to the Bulls... losing the best player for nothing. Can't even operate under the cap to replace him, atleast not until Zach's dumped.

But more importantly:

1. You're not thinking like Troy Weaver.

2. Cade and Ivey have emerged. They're shooting 3Ps with relative confidence.

3. Thompson is probably not ready to start, and likely won't be for several years. Meanwhile, they have Bogdanovic.

4. Detroit isn't looking to win a ring. They're trying to develop their farm faster, and not break any more records for most losses in a row.

5. Demar has adjusted and been shooting and making marginally more 3P impact.

The point is, whatever happens, Bulls need to prepare on paying Demar more money than this board seems to expect, or letting him go (or 3rd option, S&T him - although you're getting a low calorie return there). He's not signing some 50/2 deal.

Return to Chicago Bulls